No-Buy / Low-Buy Goals for 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going on a no buy for 2014. Only when I use up can I replace. I'm also going no buy on clothes.

Quote: Originally Posted by chelsealady /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm going on a no buy for 2014. Only when I use up can I replace. I'm also going no buy on clothes.
Good luck! keep us updated! Do you have a lot to go through?

Good luck! keep us updated! Do you have a lot to go through?
Not much. I have usually do a no-buy in January anyway. So I thought it would be good to post it out where I could be accountable.

Quote: Originally Posted by KaitlinKolors /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  @magicalmom  Now that's the kinda man I'm talking about lol. A man that can shop for a woman's makeup is a keeper!

Haha everytime I walk in that Ulta now they're like "Your husband was talking to me about the release of Naked 3!"  "He was doing swatches of some of the palettes!"

It's so awesome, and apparently when a handsome man walks into Ulta and asks for samples for his wife, they load him up, lol.  I have enough makeup to see me through the Zombie Apocalypse.  You know, as long as zombies find bright purple glitter off-putting!

Quote: Originally Posted by jaylilee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Those buggers take forever! One would think cream products would go faster but with Pearl a little goes a long way. Same with bad to the bronze. We can do this! let's check back in in April and see how far we've gotten.

19ten20, I am sorry to hear you lost your job! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> and I'm kind of jealous of how small your makeup stash is. I'm hoping to get mine to that size someday, however, I hate being wasteful so I refuse to just toss items that I like and are still in good condition simply to downsize. trying to get as much use out of them as possible before I have to toss.
I guess I should have mentioned that I gave most of my nail polishes away to a former co-worker with two pre-teens. I don't sell or give away my makeup since I have acne, eczema, and I develop stye infections often.

My 2014 goals are:

1. The only way I get any makeup will be through my 3 remaining subs : Ipsy, Birchbox, and Lip Factory, using BB points only (no money, must be a 0 amount), and Circular Swaps.

2. Wear makeup daily, at least liner, mascara, lipstick and gloss. I need to use up my stash and quit frumping around the house.

3. Only purchase basic hygiene items as I run out. (deodorant, toothpaste and such)

4. Only purchase new bras and panties, I have enough clothes and shoes.

5. Apply perfume daily and quit hoarding it. No perfume purchases for 2014.

I've been lurking and haven't been on in a long time, but I need to do something. I have a mountain of makeup and skin care items (lotions especially). I'm going on a no buy for the entire year of 2014. I'm going to try and apply it to everything in my life. I will only buy necessities and try hard to cut down the items I have. I have so many unused items it's crazy. I'm making one final purchase on January 31st and then that's it. Good luck to those who are trying to cut back in 2014!

I'm in no-buy/low buy as well. It's going to be so hard. I have way too much makeup/skincare/samples. My rules are like most, no rebuying something I already have, only purchasing if I am completely out of the item with NO backups. I'm going to try to shop my stash weekly and participate in The Monday Club thread. It's going to be hard, but even if I slip up a few times it's better than what I've been doing!

I was no-buy lip products for 2013 and I slipped up probably 3 times the entire year. That's pretty good considering I normally would buy a lip gloss or lipstick without a second glance every time I was at a store! My goal is no slips though. I do have a $20 GC to Sephora I'll hold on to in case I NEED something.

I promised myself not to buy anymore e/s palettes (I have 11)  and then Too Faced comes out with their Chocolate Bar palette - 

Im struggling,and feel like a fiend - I need you guys to talk me out of it.

Here's the palettes I own

Lorac Pro/ Naked 1&3/ Stila In the Know, The balm NudeTude & meet made nude/ KVD Ladybird/ CS88 Palette/ LauraMercier Artist2  Palette/

Smashbox PhotoOp2/ UD Skull Palette/

Should I or shouldn't I? 

Quote: Originally Posted by MUMami /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I promised myself not to buy anymore e/s palettes (I have 11)  and then Too Faced comes out with their Chocolate Bar palette - 

Lorac Pro/ Naked 1&3/ Stila In the Know, The balm NudeTude & meet made nude/ KVD Ladybird/ CS88 Palette/ LauraMercier Artist2  Palette/

Should I or shouldn't I? 
Don't!!!! You have more than enough awesome palettes! There's no way the Too Faced palette doesn't repeat some of the colors you already have in those you own. Don't do it!

Quote: Originally Posted by princess2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Don't!!!! You have more than enough awesome palettes! There's no way the Too Faced palette doesn't repeat some of the colors you already have in those you own. Don't do it!
...but none smell like chocolate

lolol

i know i know you're right - just trying to find justification

...but none smell like chocolate lolol i know i know you're right - just trying to find justification
Dont do it. If you don't go through it fast enough the smell will either go away or smell weird and turn a beautiful palette into an unusable pile of junk! Also the fact that at the end of the day a palette is for wearing it and if you already have similar colors then it's not worth it.

Should I or shouldn't I?

Well, I'll echo what others have said, you already have plenty of great palettes with a large number of brown/tan/etc shades. Honestly, I've never been fond of Too Faced shadows and the Lorac, UD, and Stila are superior IMHO.

...but none smell like chocolate

lolol

i know i know you're right - just trying to find justification
The chocolate smell is a gimmick.  It does nothing new.  Buy a can of dark cocoa and sniff that whenever you need the scent around you. 

I'm still trying to work out my plan for next year.  I know I should go no-buy, but I also know that's not realistic.  Even when I wasn't buying any eyeshadow/liner, I was buying a ton of nail polish and lipstick, and before that, all of my money went to cds.  I've actually scaled my nail polish/lipstick/cd purchases *way* back this buy-all-the-shadow-and-liner year.  I'm going to try focusing on Emerald City Comic Con and all of the indie comics I can buy if I don't get a ton of makeup and see if that helps me focus on using what I already have up. 

Basically, it boils down to this:  I go on these binges (typically year-long) where I buy a whole lot of a particular thing.  One year, it might be nail polish.  Another, dvds.  Another, cookbooks.  I bought ALL OF THE SHOWER GEL in 2011 and 2012 (I finally donated something like twenty bottles this year, and I *still* have a dozen or so partials I'm trying to use up).  2013 was makeup in general with a focus on eyeshadow (largely loose pigments) and eyeliner pencils.  On the up side, I went into 2013 *saying* that this would be the year I focused on rebuilding my makeup and brush collection.  Mission accomplished.   

2014 needs to be clothes, and specifically pants (in my world, that means jeans and black pants for work.  I can wear any color to work, but I prefer black because I am *not* a morning person, and it's easier to get dressed when I just base everything on plain black pants) and maybe one pair of shoes for work (I'm picky and hard to fit when it comes to shoes, and I just don't have enough to alternate between two pair for work every day like you're supposed to in order to allow your shoes to "recover" between wears), but I actually *hate* buying clothes, so when I *do* buy new stuff, it has usually been years since I bought anything, and it's well past time for more jeans and pants.  I'm down to two pairs of jeans that aren't too holey for work, and I need at least two more.  I can't remember when I bought black pants for work.  It must be at least six years ago, and I need at least two more pair of those.  The really annoying part is that I'm tall and big, and I have a high waist, so it's hard to find jeans and pants that work with my proportions. 

And that means that I'll probably end up focusing on comics and graphic novels* instead because buying those don't make me mad at an entire industry**.

* Mainly indies, and preferably in-person from the creators.  Another reason for a no-buy for me:  Setting aside plenty of money for Rose City Comic Con in September because Stumptown Comics Fest -- focusing on our many, many indie comics/artists/publishers -- closed down and merged with RCCC, thus condensing my shopping opportunities.

** Come to think of it, I think I stopped buying jeans and work pants because *someone* at Lane Bryant decided to redesign all of them with lower waistlines because that was the fashion trend at the time, and that meant that their pants either gave me ALL OF THE CAMEL TOE or had a waistline at my hips.  Either way, very NOT ATTRACTIVE.

I love reading everyone's plans and I'm coming up with my goal for 2014. I'll gonna organize my stash today and I'll reflect on what I have and what I definitely don't need lol. Good luck everyone and I'm so happy to have a support system here on MUT!

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  The chocolate smell is a gimmick.  It does nothing new.  Buy a can of dark cocoa and sniff that whenever you need the scent around you. 

I'm still trying to work out my plan for next year.  I know I should go no-buy, but I also know that's not realistic.  Even when I wasn't buying any eyeshadow/liner, I was buying a ton of nail polish and lipstick, and before that, all of my money went to cds.  I've actually scaled my nail polish/lipstick/cd purchases *way* back this buy-all-the-shadow-and-liner year.  I'm going to try focusing on Emerald City Comic Con and all of the indie comics I can buy if I don't get a ton of makeup and see if that helps me focus on using what I already have up. 

Basically, it boils down to this:  I go on these binges (typically year-long) where I buy a whole lot of a particular thing.  One year, it might be nail polish.  Another, dvds.  Another, cookbooks.  I bought ALL OF THE SHOWER GEL in 2011 and 2012 (I finally donated something like twenty bottles this year, and I *still* have a dozen or so partials I'm trying to use up).  2013 was makeup in general with a focus on eyeshadow (largely loose pigments) and eyeliner pencils.  On the up side, I went into 2013 *saying* that this would be the year I focused on rebuilding my makeup and brush collection.  Mission accomplished.   

2014 needs to be clothes, and specifically pants (in my world, that means jeans and black pants for work.  I can wear any color to work, but I prefer black because I am *not* a morning person, and it's easier to get dressed when I just base everything on plain black pants) and maybe one pair of shoes for work (I'm picky and hard to fit when it comes to shoes, and I just don't have enough to alternate between two pair for work every day like you're supposed to in order to allow your shoes to "recover" between wears), but I actually *hate* buying clothes, so when I *do* buy new stuff, it has usually been years since I bought anything, and it's well past time for more jeans and pants.  I'm down to two pairs of jeans that aren't too holey for work, and I need at least two more.  I can't remember when I bought black pants for work.  It must be at least six years ago, and I need at least two more pair of those.  The really annoying part is that I'm tall and big, and I have a high waist, so it's hard to find jeans and pants that work with my proportions. 

And that means that I'll probably end up focusing on comics and graphic novels* instead because buying those don't make me mad at an entire industry**.

* Mainly indies, and preferably in-person from the creators.  Another reason for a no-buy for me:  Setting aside plenty of money for Rose City Comic Con in September because Stumptown Comics Fest -- focusing on our many, many indie comics/artists/publishers -- closed down and merged with RCCC, thus condensing my shopping opportunities.

** Come to think of it, I think I stopped buying jeans and work pants because *someone* at Lane Bryant decided to redesign all of them with lower waistlines because that was the fashion trend at the time, and that meant that their pants either gave me ALL OF THE CAMEL TOE or had a waistline at my hips.  Either way, very NOT ATTRACTIVE.
I attended my very first con here last year -- a very small one, but I found a lot of amazingly talented artists, one of them being B. Sabo (http://www.bsabo.com/) who's work I LOVE! I got one of her books and can't wait for her to make the second. I have a lot of friends who dabble in comic making but have never attended a comic con where people devote their lives to making them. 

And I get you on the year-long sprees :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> mine in 2013 was the eyeshadows. 2012. was blush, 2011 was when I started nd went crazy trying to find a good foundation. This year though I'm just going to concentrate on replacing my brushes and tools for better ones, because I've never EVER been a bi lipstick or lipgloss person. I have just a handful and I nevr wear them. EVER.  Which is funny because I'm a huge chapstick person and I couldn't go a day in HS without lipgloss. Guess I grew out of that. 

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I love reading everyone's plans and I'm coming up with my goal for 2014. I'll gonna organize my stash today and I'll reflect on what I have and what I definitely don't need lol. Good luck everyone and I'm so happy to have a support system here on MUT!
*sends hugs* let us know your thoughts after you reorganize everything! and same here. I love this forum. it's the only one I visit. The support system is HUGE and making this change so much more bearable. 

Quote: Originally Posted by jaylilee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I attended my very first con here last year -- a very small one, but I found a lot of amazingly talented artists, one of them being B. Sabo (http://www.bsabo.com/) who's work I LOVE! I got one of her books and can't wait for her to make the second. I have a lot of friends who dabble in comic making but have never attended a comic con where people devote their lives to making them. 

And I get you on the year-long sprees :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> mine in 2013 was the eyeshadows. 2012. was blush, 2011 was when I started nd went crazy trying to find a good foundation. This year though I'm just going to concentrate on replacing my brushes and tools for better ones, because I've never EVER been a bi lipstick or lipgloss person. I have just a handful and I nevr wear them. EVER.  Which is funny because I'm a huge chapstick person and I couldn't go a day in HS without lipgloss. Guess I grew out of that. 
I've been going to cons for years (I think my first one was a science fiction con in the Seattle area in...  1997?), but this was the first one where I spent any time actually *looking* at the stuff on the indie tables in the dealers' room.  Until now, it was all about *stuff*, like t-shirts, buttons, and figurines.  And I live in a town so chock full of comics people that it is entirely possible that the dude sitting next to you in a bar with a notebook full of drawings of Spider-Man is in fact a gentleman by the name of Brian Michael Bendis.  Or Jeff Parker.  Or Greg Rucka.  Or probably a few more I can't think of off the top of my head.  And that's just Spider-Man.  I think that's what flipped my NEED MORE COMICS switch:  Comics people are *everywhere*.  You just become a fan by osmosis.  A few years ago, a friend in Seattle showed me a drawing of the cast of _Arrested Development_ as _Peanuts_ characters.  Cute, funny, and I like it.  Maybe I will one day buy some of his Mucha-style _Doctor Who_ stuff.  Fast forward to a year or two ago, and I discovered that one of my friends (and the housemate of a couple of closer friends) in Portland was actually the guy who did the _AD_/Snoopy mashup -- and I had known this guy for *months* and hadn't realized who he was.

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I've been going to cons for years (I think my first one was a science fiction con in the Seattle area in...  1997?), but this was the first one where I spent any time actually *looking* at the stuff on the indie tables in the dealers' room.  Until now, it was all about *stuff*, like t-shirts, buttons, and figurines.  And I live in a town so chock full of comics people that it is entirely possible that the dude sitting next to you in a bar with a notebook full of drawings of Spider-Man is in fact a gentleman by the name of Brian Michael Bendis.  Or Jeff Parker.  Or Greg Rucka.  Or probably a few more I can't think of off the top of my head.  And that's just Spider-Man.  I think that's what flipped my NEED MORE COMICS switch:  Comics people are *everywhere*.  You just become a fan by osmosis.  A few years ago, a friend in Seattle showed me a drawing of the cast of _Arrested Development_ as _Peanuts_ characters.  Cute, funny, and I like it.  Maybe I will one day buy some of his Mucha-style _Doctor Who_ stuff.  Fast forward to a year or two ago, and I discovered that one of my friends (and the housemate of a couple of closer friends) in Portland was actually the guy who did the _AD_/Snoopy mashup -- and I had known this guy for *months* and hadn't realized who he was.
Hah! that's pretty awesome.

I know very little about comic books but am very involved in the artist community so it's always fun to talk to people about who they know and what those people do because the art world is such a small world, chances are you either know the person or know the work.

Should I or shouldn't I? 
I was going to buy that palette but then I counted the number of shadows in the palette that I would use on the daily basis (it was about half). Then I thought about the looks that I could create using the Chocolate Bar palette. I could easily create similar or better looks using the products that I already own. Don't buy it and regret it.

Back