No-Buy / Low-Buy Goals for 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by Dashery /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm planning a sort of motivational low-buy year. I have quite the backup of my staple cosmetics so I am only going to let myself buy anything as a reward for getting something else done.

For example, I have a manuscript to edit at the moment and once I finish doing so, I will buy a palette by theBalm that I have wanted for the longest time. And after I do that, I'll assign a new product to my next big task.

I hope that this way, I will have some extra motivation to get done long-term goals. I also think it will encourage me to pick products that I really want (not something on a whim) because each product needs to be enough to motivate me. And hopefully it will make buying those products all the more satisfying because not only will I have waited and saved my money for each product, but I'll also have done something to earn it. I have a list of products all ready to go! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Wish me luck!
I like this plan, good luck!  I think anything that rewards positive behavior as opposed to punishing negative behavior has a better chance of succeeding in the long term.

I will be somewhat low-buy this year. I returned to makeup use one year ago after a 15 year hiatus, so I don't have massive amounts of makeup, except I have managed to buy a half dozen palettes this year. I've been gradually including the various makeup items I want in my "kit" and I'm getting close to a well rounded selection. I don't have a full size foundation yet -- still sampling to see which one to buy. I don't wear foundation daily, I have a Neutrogena one for occasional day use, but want a full coverage HD one for night wear when I go out. My main no buy items are shadows for 2014, wtih the exception of an Inglot palette I am putting together at IMATS in a couple weeks because I don't have a good brown range in one palette for travel. I'lll be getting brushes, eyelashes, foundation, and some skin care at IMATS, which should be enough for the year. I figure I shoulld take advantage of the discount there, have a great time, then basically low buy the rest of the year. I never buy haircare products unless I'm out, and perfume is not my thing. Nail pollish either. I wear it, but not a lot and I've gotten lots in my ipsy bag lastt year, so am good for a while. I also cancelled my ipsy subscription. Love it, except they send too much red product, so I give half the stufff away.

I do not have a lot of makeup. But I want to stop buying. First finishing what I've got and then buy some new makeup.

Quote: Originally Posted by weirdy86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I do not have a lot of makeup. But I want to stop buying. First finishing what I've got and then buy some new makeup.
Best plan ever!

I wish I had started out with this mentality, and started investing in better brands rather than a lot of not so good products. I think though part of learning about makeup was that learning curve where I was trying to find out what worked for me...I just wish that learning curve hadn't left me with so much stuff! 

Best plan ever!  I wish I had started out with this mentality, and started investing in better brands rather than a lot of not so good products. I think though part of learning about makeup was that learning curve where I was trying to find out what worked for me...I just wish that learning curve hadn't left me with so much stuff! 
This exactly. I feel like after a lot of trying things out I'm finally getting out of that learning curve where I know a lot more about what works and what doesn't work for me. I'm left with a lot of crap that I wish I hadn't wasted my $ on...but looking at the bright side I really have learned a lot and will use that to make smarter purchases in the future. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm going to only purchase items I run out of, but I also want to replace my mountain of low-end products with a smaller amount of quality/high-end products.

I love reading through all of these! Makes for good inspiration.

My goals are:

• No more eyeshadows until I hit pan on at least 10. I have too many palettes and only two eyes!
  • Get matched for a foundation. I still haven't found one that both matches and plays nice with my skin.
  • Shop my stash and perfect a routine with what I own.
  • Rearrange furniture so my vanity gets more natural light and organize what I have better.
  • Start using the money I spend on makeup on clothes instead. I desperately need a wardrobe upgrade!

I think that is a good start for now.

I've started unsubscribing from mailing lists! It's not due to avoiding temptation because I was deleting them unread. It's because, uh, why the hell am I on these lists? I don't shop at these places. I need to declutter, and I might as well start with my email inbox since it's something I can do at literally any time (thank you, modern technology!) and don't need to wait until I get home. ETA: I don't know if this is the case for other people, but reducing clutter and reducing my spending go hand in hand, so I tend to group them together.

Quote: Originally Posted by mrst909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This exactly. I feel like after a lot of trying things out I'm finally getting out of that learning curve where I know a lot more about what works and what doesn't work for me. I'm left with a lot of crap that I wish I hadn't wasted my $ on...but looking at the bright side I really have learned a lot and will use that to make smarter purchases in the future.
smile.gif

Touche! I've definitely learned a lot. I just don't have any friends with my complexion that I could give some of these things to -- so I either use them or I trash them, and I really hate waste. It's not that they're HORRIBLE products... it's just that there's definitely better out there.

Quote: Originally Posted by erinenvyy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm going to only purchase items I run out of, but I also want to replace my mountain of low-end products with a smaller amount of quality/high-end products.

This is definitely my goal - same applies to skin care (what works and what doesn't) and hair care. I've got my hair care pretty narrowed down but am still in search of a very deep moisturizer and a good leave-in for my curls. 

Quote: Originally Posted by QueCera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I love reading through all of these! Makes for good inspiration.

My goals are:

• No more eyeshadows until I hit pan on at least 10. I have too many palettes and only two eyes!
  • Get matched for a foundation. I still haven't found one that both matches and plays nice with my skin.
  • Shop my stash and perfect a routine with what I own.
  • Rearrange furniture so my vanity gets more natural light and organize what I have better.
  • Start using the money I spend on makeup on clothes instead. I desperately need a wardrobe upgrade!

I think that is a good start for now.
best of luck! we've got faith in you. 

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've started unsubscribing from mailing lists! It's not due to avoiding temptation because I was deleting them unread. It's because, uh, why the hell am I on these lists? I don't shop at these places. I need to declutter, and I might as well start with my email inbox since it's something I can do at literally any time (thank you, modern technology!) and don't need to wait until I get home.

ETA: I don't know if this is the case for other people, but reducing clutter and reducing my spending go hand in hand, so I tend to group them together.
I might do the same.. I delete them unread but...what's the point of keeping them anyway if I don't read them? time to declutter my mailbox. 

I've started unsubscribing from mailing lists! It's not due to avoiding temptation because I was deleting them unread. It's because, uh, why the hell am I on these lists? I don't shop at these places. I need to declutter, and I might as well start with my email inbox since it's something I can do at literally any time (thank you, modern technology!) and don't need to wait until I get home. ETA: I don't know if this is the case for other people, but reducing clutter and reducing my spending go hand in hand, so I tend to group them together.
I recently started unsubscribing from a lot of mailing lists too, both because I want to reduce clutter and reduce the temptation to buy more stuff. I agree about reducing clutter and reducing spending going hand in hand. I must say I enjoy not getting so many emails and not having to declutter my inbox all the time just to separate the junk from the important stuff.

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've started unsubscribing from mailing lists! It's not due to avoiding temptation because I was deleting them unread. It's because, uh, why the hell am I on these lists? I don't shop at these places. I need to declutter, and I might as well start with my email inbox since it's something I can do at literally any time (thank you, modern technology!) and don't need to wait until I get home.

ETA: I don't know if this is the case for other people, but reducing clutter and reducing my spending go hand in hand, so I tend to group them together.
I did the same thing and it's amazing how I don't wake up to 25 emails for various stores now. I wake up, check my email, read and delete the only two I got overnight and move on. I was probably spending 5-10 minutes each morning reading emails for these stores and then deleting them. The less clutter in every aspect of my life the better.

After loading up my cart with polishes on Zoya's site, I ended up putting down the credit card and exiting the browser window.  Wow, I didn't honestly think I had it in myself.  Feeling quite proud!

After loading up my cart with polishes on Zoya's site, I ended up putting down the credit card and exiting the browser window.  Wow, I didn't honestly think I had it in myself.  Feeling quite proud!
great job! I was tempted by the zoya sale too but I resisted. Yay us! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Good for you.

Quote: Originally Posted by chelsealady /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yay!!! I was tempted too but I wouldn't even look at the sale.

Quote: Originally Posted by mrst909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

great job! I was tempted by the zoya sale too but I resisted. Yay us!
smile.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by Bikerchic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sounds like it was a good day across the board! Sales are so hard to resist because they feel like a good deal. But I always remind myself that there's no such thing as a good deal when you pay for something you don't need. I'm so glad this year is starting out well for you guys! 
claps.gif

The Zoya sale was tempting to me too since they're my favorite brand for polish.  Then I reminded myself that I have probably 30-40 bottles of polish and don't need any more.  That made it easier to close the browser window :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My plans for 2014:

Since getting the Naked 1 & Naked 3 palettes for Christmas, I am very content with my eyeshadow stash sooooo...I'm not planning on buying anymore eyeshadow/palettes in 2014.  

I also have the most blushes I've ever owned at the moment.  7!  I have enough variety in colors and don't need anymore for the rest of the year so no buying blushes.

My lipstick/lipgloss supply is more than sufficient so I will not buy anymore of either until finishing one.

The only makeup items I plan on buying are essentials that need to be replaced or something I don't already have.

For the first time I own several high end makeup items and I'm very satisfied with them.  I still have a good mix of drugstore/Avon products in my stash so I won't be going broke replacing thngs at least!  Avon is my biggest weakness.  I'll be needing to post in the monthly no buy/ low buy threads to have you ladies talk me down when I see all the pretties in the catalogs. lol  Thank goodness for the support system we have here!

Wow! You ladies are inspirational. I will come up with low-buy goals of my own as well! Thank you for the ideas! I will look through my things and contemplate on what I need/want then post them here for accountability :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

So far so good on my No-buy. I went into Walgreens and picked up two Revlon lip butters and held them, decided to buy them, then put them back. That was HARD! I've taken to making a list of things I want for various holidays that my husband can buy for me. Just taking it one month at a time.

Back