***Official 2008/2009 NHL Thread***

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I woke up the morning to hear the following: Toronto is going to get another NHL team!

Personally, I 'd like Hamilton Ontario to get an NHL team. The ticket prices are outrageous in Toronto while the team is luke warm. If the NHL placed a team close to Toronto, maybe the cost of attending a game would be more reasonable. And hopefully, the Leafs would improve and become Stanley Cup contenders once again.

Second hockey team in T.O.? Doubtful, analyst says

NHL governors are reportedly throwing around the idea of bringing a second hockey team to Toronto but one hockey analyst says it won't be happening anytime soon.

An NHL governor, who asked to remain anonymous, said his counterparts have been talking informally about adding another team alongside the Toronto Maple Leafs, The Globe and Mail reported Tuesday.

According to the source, ownership of the team could go to BlackBerry Co-CEO Jim Balsillie. In 2007, Balsillie launched a very public bid to buy the Nashville Predators, which ended unsuccessfully. In 2006, he also tried to acquire the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Two of the governors -- at least four were interviewed in the report -- suggested the Toronto team should be created by relocating an existing franchise, rather than by making a new expansion team.

But, in an interview with CTV.ca, TSN hockey analyst Bob McKenzie said there's not a lot of weight to the rumours.

"The concept of a second team in Toronto is one that is talked about by a lot of people a lot of the time but there is zero traction from the NHL head office or the board of governors or the executive committee of the board of governors," McKenzie said Tuesday.

"It has never been discussed at that level and my sense is it's not likely to for a long, long time -- if ever."

But, if a second team were to be approved, McKenzie said it would definitely be successful and the Maple Leafs would get a "sweetheart deal" up front on infringement rights to compensate for any threat of lost revenue.

Meanwhile, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment President Richard Peddie said any talk about expansion or relocation of another NHL team to Southern Ontario was purely speculative.

"If or when the National Hockey League comes to the Board of Governors with a recommendation on relocation or expansion of an NHL franchise, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment will analyze the recommendation and provide its input at that time," Peddie said in a statement issued Tuesday.

But hockey fans on the streets of Toronto welcomed the idea.

"I think it would be a fabulous idea," said one man. "I think this city could totally support two teams."

Another woman said it was a great idea "because to be quite frank the Leafs haven't done anything for our city in the last 10-plus years."

The NHL, when contacted by CTV.ca, declined comment on the report.

CTV Toronto- Second hockey team in T.O.? Doubtful, analyst says - CTV News, Shows and Sports -- Canadian Television

Wow!! A two-fer!! Hamilton tried to steal our Penguins a few years ago. Didn't think toronto was that big of a city..

wow that's an interesting story Carolyn. You said it would most likely be in Hamilton eh?

Toronto has the biggest market in the league.

The tickets go from $25 to $400 per game - but the average is around $200.

And the games are almost always sold out!

One rule I heard is that there has to be a specific distance between any two NHL teams. That's why I think the league would accept a team in Hamilton, but I don't think Toronto is large enough to house two NHL teams.

I wonder how far apart NYR, NYI and NJD are to one another.

Personally, I'd love to see teams like Nashville find a new home in a community that will embrace them.

One more team in the Eastern division like Hamilton, and one more team in the Western division - Las Vegas or Winnipeg maybe?

Yeah.. Personally I think there should be a rule that cities where ice doesn't form naturally shouldn't have teams!!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Karren /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yeah.. Personally I think there should be a rule that cities where ice doesn't form naturally shouldn't have teams!!
smile.gif
then why do they always mention Las Vegas?

This joke is for Carolyn!

Two guys from Toronto die and wake up in hell.

The next day the devil stops in to check on them and sees them dressed in parkas, mittens and toques warming themselves around the fire. The devil asks them, "What are you doing? Isn’t it hot enough for you?"

The two guys reply, "Well, you know, we’re from Canada, the land of snow and ice and cold. We’re just happy for a chance to warm up a little bit, eh."

The devil decides that these two aren’t miserable enough and turns up the heat.

The next morning he stops in again and there they are, still dressed in parkas, toques and mittens. The devil asks them again, "It’s awfully hot down here, can’t you guys feel it?"

Again the two guys reply, "Well, like we told ya yesterday, we’re from Canada, the land of snow and ice and cold. We’re just happy for a chance to warm up a little bit, eh."

This gets the devil a little steamed up and he decides to fix these two guys. He cranks the heat up as high as it will go. The people are wailing and screaming everywhere. He stops by the room with the two guys from Canada and finds them in light jackets and bucket hats, grilling sausage and drinking beer.

The devil is astonished, "Everyone down here is in abject misery, and you two seem to be enjoying yourselves."

The two Canadians reply, "Well, ya know, we don’t get too much warm weather up there in Toronto so we’ve just got to have a cook-out when the weather’s THIS nice."

The devil is absolutely furious, he can hardly see straight. Finally he comes up with the answer. The two guys love the heat because they have been cold all their lives. The devil decides to turn all the heat off in hell.

The next morning, the temperature is below zero, icicles are hanging everywhere; people are shivering so bad that they are unable to do anything but wail, moan and gnash their teeth.

The devil smiles and heads for the room with the two Canadians.

He gets there and finds them back in their parkas, toques, and mittens. NOW they are jumping up and down, cheering, yelling and screaming like mad men!!!

The devil is dumbfounded, "I don’t understand, when I turn up the heat you’re happy. Now it’s freezing cold and you’re still happy. What is wrong with you two???"

The Torontonians look at the devil in surprise, "Well, don’t you know? If Hell freezes over, it must mean the Leafs have won the Stanley Cup."

another one (in poor taste)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A young boy was taken away from his parents because he was being abused. The case goes to court, and the judge turns to the little boy and says "Son, If you had to chose who you wanted to live with, would you chose your mom, or your dad?" The little boy thinks for a couple minutes and replies "Well.. I don’t want to live with my dad cuz he beats me.... And I don’t want to live with my mom, cuz she beats me too. Soo.... I guess I’d like to live with the Toronto Maples Leafs... cuz they don’t beat ANYONE!!"

I never realized how many Toronto Maple Leaf jokes there were out there!

Great jokes Darla.

I think I told you that the Leafs are also called The Toronto Maple Laughs - when they are doing poorly!

Don't tell anyone that a die hard leaf fan told you that!

Jerry Bruckheimer, known for CSI, has shown an interest in getting an NHL team in Las Vegas.

Apparently he has a few dollars and is looking to acquire a team.

An article from 2007 if you are interested:

TheSpec.com - Sports - Movie mogul wants an NHL team

i have more:
leafs.jpg

The man said, "My dog watches all the Maple Leafs games on TV. Everytime they lose, he lies down and cried his eyes out." His friend says, "That's incredible. What does he do when they win?" The man replied, "I don't know, I'll let you know when it actually happens."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

What do the Leafs and The Titanic have in common?

- They both look good until they hit the ice.

Do you know how many leafs it takes to win the Stanley Cup?

- No? Me neither.

Why is the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto?

- It's the only way the Stanley Cup will ever be in Toronto.

Why don't the Maple Leafs drink tea?

- Because the Canadiens have all the cups.

Whats the difference between the Leafs and a cigarette machince?

- The cigarette machince has PLAYER'S.

Pat Quinn took $100 million worth of hockey players to the Olympics and in just two weeks turned them into the Toronto Maple Leafs.

WHY PLAYOFF HOCKEY IS BETTER THAN SEX:

1. It's legal to play hockey professionally.

2. The puck is always hard.

3. Protective equipment is reusable and you don't even have to wash it.

4. It lasts a full hour.

5. You know you're finished when the buzzer sounds.

6. Your parents cheer when you score.

7. Periods only last 20 minutes.

8. You can count on it at least twice a week.

9. You can tell your friends about it afterwards.

10. A two-on-one or three-on-one is not uncommon.

Why doesn't Hamilton have an NHL team?

Because then Toronto would want one too.

How many Leafs does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Six. One to screw it in and 5 to tell everyone how good the old bulb used to be.

A Canadian peacekeeper is walking in a desert when he comes across a magic lamp. He rubs it and out comes a genie. The genie promises to give him 1 wish. The peacekeeper thinks hard and finally takes out a map. He points at the region where he's from and says all he wants is to have peace in that region. "Wow," the genie says, "that's a tough one. Do you have anything else?" The peacekeeper thinks a moment and says: "How about the Leafs winning the Stanley Cup?" to which the genie replies: "Let me see that map again."

What is blue and white and lives in the basement?

The Toronto Maple Leafs.

Maple Leafs officials announced yesterday in Toronto that the hockey club would begin wearing brown uniforms next year. Apparently, Leafs do change colours when they fall.

When is the only time the Stanley Cup is paraded in Toronto?

When the Leafs change buildings.

Little David was in Grade 5 when his teacher asked all the kids what their fathers did for a living. The typical answers came up: doctor, fireman, policeman, salesman, etc. David was being uncharacteristically quiet so the teacher called on him to answer. "My father's an exotic dancer in a gay bar and takes off all his clothes in front of other men. Sometimes, if the offer is reallt good, he''ll go out to the alley with some guy and make love with him for money." The teacher was so shaken by this that she quickly gave the kids colouring to do while taking David outside with her. "Is that really true about your father?" She asked. "No," David replid, "He plays for the Toronto Maple Leafs but I was too embarassed to say that in front of the other kids."

Those are really funny! I'm going to share them with my son - another die hard Leaf fan.

"Why doesn't Hamilton have an NHL team?

Because then Toronto would want one too." hilarious!

Anyone see the hit Mike Van Ryn (Toronto) took from Millan Lucic (Boston) on Friday night?

A panel of glass shattered and the crowd got sprayed with glass!

Two fans had to leave and get stitches.

Hockey is not for the faint of heart!

W00t!!!

smile.gif

They just hand delivered the tickets I won at our open house.. Oilers vs the Penns on Nov 6th.. 2 tickets... $350 worth!! Premo seats!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
. Going to give them to the daughter and her b/f...

Penguins beat up on the Canes last night..4-1 Listened to the first period in the car and we were down 0-1... I think their goal was scored by Brandon Sutter, his first NHL goal... Son of one of the prolific Sutter brothers.. Or cousins.. Brent.. Or Bret or Darryl.. Or Duane or Richard?? They are like rabbits!! Hahaha

The wifey and I rented some dvd's to watch so missed watching it... Think were 3-2-1....

I edited my very first post of this thread. I found a site that discusses some (not all) rules of the NHL.

I thought it would be easier to reference if you could fine it easily, rather than being buried in the thread.

Darla, I am still working on the rule about batting down a puck with one hand.

Karren do you know any reason why this would be considered a penalty?

It is not usually a penalty but perhaps if interference were involved - I'm not sure.

Toronto did well last night. They have a long way to go but they look like they are headed in the right direction.

Luc Schenn will likely be kept on by the Leafs rather than return to the junior league.

You can bat the puck down and it's not a penalty as long as you don't bat it down towards the opponents goal or to another of your players... Then it beclomes a hand pass.... At least that's what I remember..

It kind of reminds me of the rule that you can't kick a puck into the net (kicking motion).

However pucks bounce off of skates every game.

thanks Karren

I'll double check... I have a game tonight and I'll ask one of the refs..

They have changed the rules so many times in the last 5 years.. Haven't seen a 2 line pass in a long time.. Lol

So right out of the refs mouth.. You can bat down the puck but if you move it to anbother player then its a hand pass and the play is whistled and you have a face off.. If you hold the puck then its a delay iof game and a 2 minute penalty..

We got slaughtered tonight with only 6 skaters.. Bad time for a game so close to the end of a Steelers game.. Then in the second our gioalie goes down with an injury so we forfitted.. Then we spent the remaining time scrimaging.. And borrowed another goalie form the next game.. Think out of 60 minutes I sat on the bench for a total of 5 minutes.. I'm pooped...

Looks like there is going to be a few 18 year olds joining the NHL.

Drew Doughty of LA Kings, Steve Stamkos of Tampa Bay Lightning and my favourite - Luc Schenn of Toronto Maple Leafs

have all been asked to stay longer than the 10 day cut off. My guess is that none of them will be returnng to their junior teams.

Zach Bogosian of Atlanta Thrashers hasn't received the final decision but it looks promising that he will remain in the NHL rather than return to the juniors.

Stamkos has started off on a slow start. He scored his first point tonight on an assist against the Leafs. Some feel that he should be doing better as he was the number1 draft pick of 2008.

Doughty, Stamkos, Schenn staying in NHL

so did you hear the big news about Ovetchkin? He left to return to Russia to see his sick Grandfather i think it was. It is indeterminate about his return. Big loss for washington, but Alexander has been badly slumping early this season.

Back