Official October 2012 No/Low Buy Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
October was full of relapses, but we're human. There's still a week left of October, so let's try to finish strong 
headphonedance.gif

Doin' great, guys... So...would you guys be interested in weekly challenges to help keep us from buying? (such as the "make your own palette" project, or the "declutter your stash" project)

I took advantage of Ulta's 20% off coupon but limited myself to dry shampoo, a makeup sponge, and some nail polish, so the damage was relatively minor.  I also did the Clinique free gift with purchase, but several of the items will be Christmas gifts.  So, not a complete success but not awful either.

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Doin' great, guys... So...would you guys be interested in weekly challenges to help keep us from buying? (such as the "make your own palette" project, or the "declutter your stash" project)
I would!

That's a great idea! Good way to motivate and keep us on track.

Sounds like a lot of fun, and even if we can't do every challenge, the discussion will keep the low/no-buy thoughts in our heads, and hopefully spark some creative thinking!

This month I aimed for a no-buy, and didn't succeed.  But I really didn't do too bad.  Got backups of some staples, and some skincare.  This was far less than I would have bought otherwise.  I agree that sometimes the addiction is receiving packages - I go in phases.  If it's not makeup I'm overbuying online, it's books, music, etc.  So starting my Christmas shopping this month helped with that - I'm still getting packages, even if they aren't for me!

I think next month I'm going to do a low-buy instead, and give myself a small allowance for beauty items.  When, say, my attempt to grow out my bangs means I need to get a styling product to keep them out of my face, I'd end up buying something whether I'm on a low- or no- or not.  But with low-buy, I don't need to feel like I failed so might as well just let go and buy whatever from here on in!

That sounds like a fun idea!  I'd be willing to try it out.  So far, I'm doing well this month, and would love stuff to keep me on track in future months.

BTW, Calexxia, is that Dee Snyder in your user icon?  If so, that's awesome!

Originally Posted by thischick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

October was full of relapses, but we're human. There's still a week left of October, so let's try to finish strong 
headphonedance.gif
 I've fallen off the wagon BIG time. Relapsed beyond belief.  I bought a Mystery box from Conscious box, a box from Popsugar (hopefully won't be billed until Dec., because Nov. is sold out,) and a box from Fancybox.  I already subscribe to Birchbox, Curlbox and Eco-emi.  I feel so guilty, because I spend enough on the monthly and the last thing I should be doing is shopping!!!!!!!

I know better; I need help and support!! 
sadno.gif

This sounds fun! Would make me motivated to accomplish my goal of no buy Nov

Originally Posted by missionista /img/forum/go_quote.gif

BTW, Calexxia, is that Dee Snyder in your user icon?  If so, that's awesome!
Yup, he's a sweetie.

With the incoming storm, I should safely avoid buying any more makeup this month. Excited for next month now that I am finally making this no buy thing a habit :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Did it!  Didn't buy anything (other than my subs, and they are yearly/6-monthly) for October!  I was sorely tempted a few times, but very happy about not doing it.  And since the Sephora F & F sale was so weird this year, I didn't even buy the thing I was going to allow myself then.  Feeling good for November.

Back