Official October 2012 No/Low Buy Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's "the 6 month rule"?

Edit to ask - And this may be obvious, but what's JFC?

I caved last night and used my Ulta F&F, but I'm returning the Boscia BB Cream. I only bought it because I really want the Wei To Go CC cream, and the med is sold out, but I don't care for it enough to keep it.  Other than that I got the Tarte Stand Outs kit, and some purple hair chalk.  Not too bad.  I actually went to buy a gift, and ended up skipping that completely.

What helps me cull my stash is as follows:

1. Do not attach yourself emotionally to your makeup (i.e "I bought this on my trip to cabo, such good memories.").

2. 6 month rule

3. consider it a lesson learned when you realize that you bought things that you know you'll never use, or bought in the heat of the moment.

4. Promise the items you do love to keep on lovin' em
wink.gif

p.s 

The six month rule is that if you have an item (here being cosmetics), and have not touched it in 6 months, throw it/give it away. Harsh, but realize that it's only collecting dust.

Ok confession time, I made a purchase at Sephora online. But that is prob the only one I will make this month, and its the first one all month, so Im actually ok with it! 

Originally Posted by thischick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What helps me cull my stash is as follows:

1. Do not attach yourself emotionally to your makeup (i.e "I bought this on my trip to cabo, such good memories.").

2. 6 month rule

3. consider it a lesson learned when you realize that you bought things that you know you'll never use, or bought in the heat of the moment.

4. Promise the items you do love to keep on lovin' em
wink.gif

p.s 

The six month rule is that if you have an item (here being cosmetics), and have not touched it in 6 months, throw it/give it away. Harsh, but realize that it's only collecting dust.
Oh - thanks!  I tried putting things I really wanted myself to use up in a little (Glam
rolleyes.gif
) bag, to be my kind of "project 10 pan" items.  I figured I'd make myself use those items every day - or most every day, at least - until they were gone.  Most of them were samples and/or partially used up, so I didn't think it would be an ordeal.  Had a sample of Benetint in there.  Made myself use it about two dozen times, and when I still hated it I finally let myself pitch it, even though there was still over half left.  (It was in a paid sample kit, and it was a stinking BIG sample!)  I felt bad and wasteful, but reminded myself that we buy and wear makeup to feel good about ourselves.  Hating a product even after giving it a fair shot, yet still forcing yourself to use it up, runs counter to that.

Gawd I'm glad I asked for the Benefit sample kit for my birthday rather than buying a full-size of that thing!!!

Hey everyone, can we please try not to post hauls and sales in this thread? I know its nice to confess (and for example, saying "I broke my no buy today" is fine or "I ordered from sephora oops" is ok too), but try not to say I bought x, x, and x cause it can be tempting to the people in this thread who are staying on their no buys! Wouldn't want to lead anyone astray. You can post about hauls and sales in the shopping forum! 

A few months ago I downsized some of my beauty stuff. My sister had been complaining that her favorite foundation had been discontinued and she didn't like the one she tried recently. I gave her two foundations that I did not care for. She loved one of them and it is now her HG foundation. She has thanked me three times for it! I made her happy and I freed up some space in my makeup storage container. win-win. 

I've bought hardly anything for the past three months; mostly just replacing things I have used up. My stash is almost down to a manageable size. I've even hit pan on four eyeshadows and one blush. 

My new philosophy is mindful purchasing. Before I purchase something I have to be able to imagine where I will store it when I get home. It's harder to buy a new outfit when I know my closet is overflowing or a new blush when I know my makeup storage container is completely full. No more impulse purchases either - those are the ones I usually end up not using. Hoping I can stick with it - I like not having so much stuff. 

Good luck to everyone on their no/low buys 

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

4. No color cosmetics that are in a shade that I already have, even if it is a different company (Seriously, HOW many purple eyeshadows does one woman need?).

7. No purchasing something just because it is "the new hotness". If I already KNOW that I won't wear brown-based neutrals, there is NO point in buying the Naked 2 palette or one of its many duplicates. 10. IT DOES NOT MATTER IF I AM GETTING IT FOR FREE; if I won't use it, it's clutter, so I need to chill out (MAJORLY) on shopping full-size bargains.    
These are some of my rules as well. It can be very difficult though when everyone is raving about AmazingNewProductX to stick to your guns. I've been pretty successful so far but it does take some serious willpower. 

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey everyone, can we please try not to post hauls and sales in this thread? I know its nice to confess (and for example, saying "I broke my no buy today" is fine or "I ordered from sephora oops" is ok too), but try not to say I bought x, x, and x cause it can be tempting to the people in this thread who are staying on their no buys! Wouldn't want to lead anyone astray. You can post about hauls and sales in the shopping forum! 
?  I would have expected most of the people who are trying no-buys and posting here are reading other board threads, and wouldn't have even considered members could be trying to avoid hearing about others buying stuff.  I think in Overeater's Anon, when people lose it and binge, they talk about the food and how it made them feel; I would have just assumed it was natural talk in this type of "support group".  I can kinda understand about not announcing big sales (although I'd doubt any of us can actually avoid finding out about them at all), but it never crossed my mind that saying items might be off-limits here!  Is it a tip that helps some, to not read the other threads here where people talk about buying stuff?  (Not being snitty - I'm honestly curious if this can be a useful strategy.)

Originally Posted by mellee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

?  I would have expected most of the people who are trying no-buys and posting here are reading other board threads, and wouldn't have even considered members could be trying to avoid hearing about others buying stuff.  I think in Overeater's Anon, when people lose it and binge, they talk about the food and how it made them feel; I would have just assumed it was natural talk in this type of "support group".  I can kinda understand about not announcing big sales (although I'd doubt any of us can actually avoid finding out about them at all), but it never crossed my mind that saying items might be off-limits here!  Is it a tip that helps some, to not read the other threads here where people talk about buying stuff?  (Not being snitty - I'm honestly curious if this can be a useful strategy.)

I've had a few people mention to me that it is really unhelpful for them to see people posting that kind of stuff here. 

While I agree some people may read the other threads on the board, this is a thread they should be able to come to to avoid temptation. 

A few months ago I downsized some of my beauty stuff. My sister had been complaining that her favorite foundation had been discontinued and she didn't like the one she tried recently. I gave her two foundations that I did not care for. She loved one of them and it is now her HG foundation. She has thanked me three times for it! I made her happy and I freed up some space in my makeup storage container. win-win.  I've bought hardly anything for the past three months; mostly just replacing things I have used up. My stash is almost down to a manageable size. I've even hit pan on four eyeshadows and one blush.  My new philosophy is mindful purchasing I love that sentence. Thank u for sharing!

I've just completely filled one large USPS flat rate box with cosmetics/skin/haircare items for my mother. Also took a FULL plastic grocery bag to my roommate. Made a couple of small goodie bags for people I know. Still culling. And sort of dreading when I start on the nail polish. Which...has to happen. Making my "rules of acquisition" now....I don't want to go completely minimalist (I mean, seriously, my train case is so tiny that I can't even imagine fitting everything into it). But....something's gotta give. 

It has been helping me recently  to make a wishlist for the things that I want before purchasing any of them.  That way I can see duplicates on the list/in the stash (like wanting a dark green eyeshadow when I already have one),  and on the list/on the list (like wanting two similar perfumes) and can think clearly about whether or not I REALLY want each item.  Hope that helps!

Oh, also, specifically with nail polish, I limit myself to ONLY buying minis.  That saves storage space, and makes it more likely that I will actually use up a bottle.  And since many colors don't come in mini sizes, it drastically cuts down the number of things I could possibly buy.

Making lists helps. I also have another rule I try to follow. If I didn't when it wasn't on sale, I don't need it.

Originally Posted by missionista /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It has been helping me recently  to make a wishlist for the things that I want before purchasing any of them.  That way I can see duplicates on the list/in the stash (like wanting a dark green eyeshadow when I already have one),  and on the list/on the list (like wanting two similar perfumes) and can think clearly about whether or not I REALLY want each item.  Hope that helps!
Great advice, I am doing this now! 

Doing good so far on my no buy. Does it count if you buy stuff with birthday money?!? Haha. I always manage to find a loophole. I started thinking last night just how fortunate I am. I'm sure many people could not afford to have the collection and options of makeup that I do. It made me realize I should be thankful for what I have and enjoy it instead of jumping from one new product to the next. I think if I view it like that, it will be a much easier no buy. I agree with the lists. I find that to be very helpful. 

It's funny, but i'm really enjoying hearing about people culling their stashes. Sort of like watching makeup collections on youtube. Keep it up ladies!

Back