Official October 2012 No/Low Buy Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm on a strict no buy for the rest of the year. Eek! After just getting a car, taking my dad to Lady Gaga in the beginning of the year, and all my nonsense makeup purchases lately my account is dangerously low. I don't know how I'm going to do it, but I have to at this point. I shouldn't have to buy a thing, except maybe mascara. I have four bottles of foundation just layig around which should last easily until the end of the year. How do you ladies who are super strict do it? I need tips. Haha.

*sigh* i really want to buy something from the UD sale,.. oh why does it have to be on the month that I'm saving my limit for the MAC holiday collection.... 

I think I've successfully resisted the UD F&F sale.  I filled up my shopping cart and then closed the window. I decided to inventory my UD shadows instead and I've got more than enough.

My sister in law told me last night she wants a new flat iron for Christmas, so I have to go to Ulta for F&F.  I was hoping to just not go at all to resist the temptation.  Hopefully my Ulta won't have any of the new holiday sets in yet, so I should be ok.

I've been doing OK so far this month. Skipped both LBB & Beauty Army. I haven't made any makeup purchases for myself this month. I will be taking advantage of the Sephora F&F since I've had my eye on some perfume for awhile but I don't plan on buying anything else.

I get paid Monday, and that means I actually made my goal and not bought any beauty stuff. I have a list of what I am getting at Sephora's Sale later this month as well as an order ready to go at BeautyBar, where I will only pay 24.00 for a 52.00 order including tax :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Originally Posted by JessicaMarie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm on a strict no buy for the rest of the year. Eek! After just getting a car, taking my dad to Lady Gaga in the beginning of the year, and all my nonsense makeup purchases lately my account is dangerously low. I don't know how I'm going to do it, but I have to at this point. I shouldn't have to buy a thing, except maybe mascara. I have four bottles of foundation just layig around which should last easily until the end of the year. How do you ladies who are super strict do it? I need tips. Haha.
You took your dad to see gaga? That's awesome!

You took your dad to see gaga? That's awesome!
Taking actually. It's a surprise. He wanted to go but said the price was just too much for him. He's definitely a cool dad. When I told people I was taking him they couldn't believe he liked her lol.

Today I got my 20% off $25 or more coupon for 3 months with Birchbox.  =(  And I'm on no-buy beauty for the month.  =(  =(

So...  I found the $25 Talika Eyelash Conditioning Eyemakeup Remover.  $5 off with the coupon, free shipping, and used 200 of my 300 points.  Grand total - $0.00.  SLAM!  YaY!

Originally Posted by mellee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Today I got my 20% off $25 or more coupon for 3 months with Birchbox.  =(  And I'm on no-buy beauty for the month.  =(  =(

So...  I found the $25 Talika Eyelash Conditioning Eyemakeup Remover.  $5 off with the coupon, free shipping, and used 200 of my 300 points.  Grand total - $0.00.  SLAM!  YaY!
Well done!

I caved on the UD F&F sale. 

Sephora's celebrating 5 years of Beauty Insider with 5 free samples. No biggie.. but since I've been a Beauty Insider for all 5 years I also get 5x the points which is tempting me. Even though I haven't even liked any of the 100 or 500 pt perks lately.

Sephora's celebrating 5 years of Beauty Insider with 5 free samples. No biggie.. but since I've been a Beauty Insider for all 5 years I also get 5x the points which is tempting me. Even though I haven't even liked any of the 100 or 500 pt perks lately.
I got the same email. I am probably going to go for it.

I am literally broke (my money is just enough for bills and rent, not including credit card bills) and I have been doing so well...lol

I live off Beauty Army and MyGlam to stop me from buying stuff. I haven't bought anything until I ran out of them since Saptember.

Ah, just the type of group I need!  I'm trying so hard to stick to a budget, but when I see makeup/hair/skin care products, it's sooo hard to walk away!  I have huge baskets of unused products b/c I buy more than I can use, but I still seem to buy!

Canceling one of my bb accounts and myglam tomorrow. Already canceled Sample Society earlier this month. Im just over beauty boxes now and most of the time I don't even get stuff I want. Id much rather spend that money at sephora each month and get stuff on my wishlist. also canceling Justfab tomorrow, crappy quality, I do not recommend it! Sole.Society has muchnicer shoes, although its 50 a month instead of 40.

So after going on an Ulta binge, I purged my makeup collection of things that I have not touched in 6 months. If I hadn't used it in 6 months, what would be the deciding factor in the 7th or 8th. Nevertheless, I feel liberated 
smile.gif

I cancelled MyGlam without trouble, but it was really tough to cancel Starbox.  But honestly, I have so much makeup I can't justify it until I work my way through some products.  Kept BB for the moment, because that's samples of lots of different things.  My boxes haven't been lame.  If they become so, I'll cancel that one, too.  The only other one I get is the Natural Beauty Box, and it's a month-by-month, so I can skip months.  But they also have a lot of natural soaps and lotions and such, as well as a few makeup samples each month, so it's a bit different.

I broke no-buy a bit.  Got the rose hip black soap cleanser, and a hair curling brush.  Bad me.  Bad.  Still, beauty, but not makeup.

Edit to clarify - by "really tough to cancel Starbox" I don't mean that they made it difficult.  Just that I didn't really wanna do it!

JFC. I'm not stressing the roughly $300 I've spent on subs, but I just made the mistake of calculating the cost of my nail polishes--Yes, I get a lot of them free or cheap, but I have a few that are more expensive, so I'll say $3/bottle. That's $900 in nail polish, all purchased in the past year--which works out to $17/week--or $70/month. I won't even TRY to do that for the rest of my makeup collection, but that, right there, was a total wake up call. It's so easy to fritter away just a couple bucks on polisI think h when I need a little pick me up, or to go nuts when there is an amazing sale, but this is just INSANE.

Therefore, I think my "only buy it if it's something totally NEW to you" isn't gonna cut it anymore (which is what I HAD been doing with nail polishes, since I had a few duplicates). This weekend, I'm going through it, culling the dupes, and trying to get it down below 200. And while I had set some goals for curbing my spending before, I think I'm gonna modify them.

These were my old rules for once my stash is winnowed:

1. No more than 2 travel size and 2 full-size mascaras. 2. No more than 3 full size shampoos/conditioners. 3. No more than 2 full size body washes/scrubs (this does NOT include Philosophy 3in1, which I use as a bubble bath, anyway). 4. No color cosmetics that are in a shade that I already have, even if it is a different company (Seriously, HOW many purple eyeshadows does one woman need?). 5. No purchases of full size or deluxe size perfumes if I have ANY vial samples. 6. If I have found a HG of an item (such as my L'Oreal Elnett), I am NOT to PURCHASE any other brand. THAT is what samples are for. (I will make an exception for nail polish remover, though, since my HG remover is wicked expensive, in my book, and I change my manicure WAY too frequently.) 7. No purchasing something just because it is "the new hotness". If I already KNOW that I won't wear brown-based neutrals, there is NO point in buying the Naked 2 palette or one of its many duplicates. 8. Items from samplers take first priority of use, unless they are specifically being set aside for gifts for other people. If I have not used a sample within a month of receiving it, it must go into a goodie bag for someone else. 9. NO store brands, no matter how cheap they are--I don't mind drugstore stuff, but I've found that I NEVER get around to using ULTA or SEPHORA branded makeup, so I need to stop buying it, even as a filler to bump something up to free shipping. 10. IT DOES NOT MATTER IF I AM GETTING IT FOR FREE; if I won't use it, it's clutter, so I need to chill out (MAJORLY) on shopping full-size bargains.   But....I need to cull it down even harsher than that, I think. This part is going to be a little bit heart-wrenching, so (other than the 6 month rule), what other rules are you guys using when winnowing down your stashes? (And, yes, I already have a couple of goodie boxes made up for folks, but I have a feeling there's gonna be some big ole carrier bags filling up, too)

I bought a two sided jewelry organizer today like this kind of thing:

I'm going to use it to store all of my items that aren't palettes, and hope it helps me see that A) I have way too many things and B) I should use these things more often so they are eventually used up.

Back