Ok, let's be honest... who smokes in here?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My father smoked for 50 years and he died from lung cancer. He worked until age 65 1/2 and passed away just before his 67th birthday.

As soon as he was diagnosed, he phoned me from his hospital bed and asked me to quit.

I had smoked for 12 years and was smoking my pipe while I was talking to him on the phone. When he asked, I told him I would, set the pipe down, and never smoked anything again.

This was in early August, 1979. In late August he was admitted to a cancer hospital close by where I worked, so my mother stayed with us, my wife took my mother to the hospital every day for a long visit and stayed with her during the visit.

Almost every day that I worked (very close by) I was able to visit him a 2 or 3 times of times a day - before work, at lunch, and after work.

All of the things they tried didn't work, and during the 3rd week of September he was in discomfort. At the end of the week, he seemed to be fading, then the next day his heart stopped and they got it beating again once but it stopped for good about an hour or so later.

I'm glad that he did not have really prolonged suffering.

At first it was tough, but I remembered the promise to my father. This August will mark the 29th anniversary of my quitting smoking.

Jadeanne

i smoke occasionally.. but i make it a point that i rinse my mouth or brush my teeth after every cancer stick.

I never smoked. My mother is a big smoker though, so I am sure my lungs have been ruined from growing up in a smoker's environment.

To parents who are smokers, please think about what you are doing to the health of your children and loved ones...

i dont and wont ever. tried it once when i was about 13 and promptly puked. everyone laughed at me and i was too scared to ever try it again incase the same thing happened and everyone laughed at me again lol. so peer pressure kind of worked in my favour!

my mum smoked when she was pregnant with my older sister and younger sister but says she couldnt smoke when she was pregnant with me cos it made her violently ill. So its weird that i'm the only one out of us who never smoked (although both my sisters quit when they got pregnant) but its also weird that i'm the only one she never smoked with and i'm the only one who was born with a defect (cleft lip and i weighed about 4lbs) and the other two were fine and healthy weights.

Never have, but i do get strange cravings every once in a while. Don't plan on ever trying it though.

I quit cold turkey about two years ago. It was actually the 2nd time I quit. I was under a lot of stress and going through a hard time, and started socially smoking. I didn't want to turn into a smoker again so finally 2 years ago I quit again completely.

i never have and i never will

i think already having asthma and being a sports person has really put meoff ever trying

I smoked for about 5 years but quite some time ago (1987!). Can't stand it now and can't believe I ever did it!

I am in your boat Babette. Same thing here, parent smoked a ton around us, blah blah blah.. I know some parents who don't smoke in the house, but DO smoke in the car with children. Why do they think that's ok? Or should I say, why do they not give a shit? Actually, here in California, it's against the law now!

I am not a smoker. My mom does though, and as I was growing up she always told me not to. I guess for some reason it stuck. I always hated being in smokey bars, and they banned smoking in restaurants and bars in Houston last September. It was really nice for the week I was able to enjoy the smoke free environment, because that same month I met my boyfriend who smokes like a chimney. I hate constantly smelling like cigarettes because I'm always around him.

Back