One Year of No Buy

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! Like I said in my thread, I don't think I could go that long! I would fail for sure! But, I'm with you the first month anyway.

Originally Posted by Labrat81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm going to be doing a no-buy this year. I'm paying for my wedding, and also (at the same time) buying a house. So I need to save a huge chunk of money between the two. I spend the last few months paying off debt that I accumulated over the summer durning a manic spending spree (a medical excuse for credit card debt). Luckyly I did get some good deal and a huge summer wardrobe.
I'm lucky enough to have a bunch of giftcards from christmas to buy clothes, and I can take advantage of winter sales that start now.....so I don't need much in the way of clothes this year.

As for makeup......I can easily do a no buy. I do wear makeup, but I also make makeup for a living and have access to loads of it for free. Now ganted it's all drug store stuff, but it's hey free.

For skincare...I'll still pay for my prescription retinoid, and I'll use drugstore products that I know work with my skin, and aren't expensive. that money will come of of my grocery budget.

Good luck with yours. As other suggested, don't totally deprive yourself. If you have a some grocery money left over.....pick up a cute eyeshadow or lipgloss. Or....save your change in a coffee can (or appropriate container). It's amazing how fast it adds up. That way you can have some cash to splurge. i used mine to buy a plane ticket to Florida to see a friend (that was a year of change).

I always save my change! It's a great habbit. You really don't miss that money. It's really a make up no buy for a year that i'm going on. My unnecessary spending is things like going out for lunch when i have food at home, cutting down on the electric bill, cutting down on gas use. I'm not going to deprive my self of things, I plan on making some major jewelry purchases in 08 (for those that pay attention to me 88" strand and the rose gold chocolate tahitian strand are my major purchases!) I have so much make up that I really need to use it all. I have some amazing products that don't get love so its time to start loving them before they go bad and become a waste of money.

Good luck! I could never do this - makeup is really the only thing I treat myself with (besides the occasional cute article of clothing). I'd feel so deprived if I didn't try a new product for a whole year.

Wow, good luck! I've gone 6 months without buying anything, not sure if I'd manage a whole year though.

I have been cleaning up around my house, and am amazed (and somewhat horrified) at how much money I must have spent on makeup over the past year or so. I have so much that no single product has been used more than a few times. So joining in on this (especially after I just spent $100 on mac at an outlet store)!

Good luck, hope you manage the year. Don't think I could do it. I keep telling myself I should cut down on the makeup that I buy but I get tempted to easily.

Originally Posted by Lala7819 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have been cleaning up around my house, and am amazed (and somewhat horrified) at how much money I must have spent on makeup over the past year or so. I have so much that no single product has been used more than a few times. So joining in on this (especially after I just spent $100 on mac at an outlet store)! yay!! another member of my cult err clan errr club.....
laughing.gif

Back