Popsugar Must Have July 2014 *SPOILERS*

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my box first thing this morning! Here's what I think:

MASCARA- nope don't use= will swap

JUMP ROPE= meh- when I say the spoilers I thought I would like it. But, who am I kidding, I'm not going to jump rope. It seems good quality though=swapping

STRAWS- Ha, not my thing=swapping

SUN BUM- meh- I think I'll use these (although my skin reacts poorly to some sunscreen) It's a win in that I'll keep it, but it's not something I'm excited about or totally needed.

SPOONS- Love!! These are awesome. I love the pattern. They are plastic, but nice and sturdy. Perfect for summer entertaining. I don't entertain all that much, so I'll make a point to use them often just for myself and hubby. Or someone mentioned putting them up as kitchen art, I could see that.

DANG chips- (off topic does anyone watch Next food Network Star? One of the contestants named her product "Dang!" And they were all so in love with the name. I kept thinking the name was already taken by these guys.) Love!! I love these chips so much, I buy them and they aren't cheap.

HAT- Love....but....it's too tight for my head. I've been wearing for the last hour hoping it will stretch out. I really want to wear this around my yard and deck, it's always so sunny out there! I don't have thick hair, so I guess I just have a big head. I got the dark brown color which I'm really pleased with, it's dark enough to be subtle without being totally black. Style wise- doesn't look good on me. But, I don't care about style on my deck. I already wore it out there and it did a great job of filtering out the bright sun. I'm hoping it loosens up.

All in all,though I only really like 3 items, it's worth the cost (about $32, since I have a yearly sub.) I think this box shows excellent curation. Every single item, except the jump rope, screams summer to me. My favorite season is Fall, so I hope they keep up with the thoughtful curation and give me some great fall boxes.

Just got my box, and I was one of the folks excited for the hat. My head circumference, or whatever is large. And while yes, the hat is adorbs, and I can get it on my head, it is squeezing the heck out of it, and I will i have a headache if I try to wear it. So, unfortunately, this box is not the win for me I thought it might be. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I love the hat!!!  I love the wire brim so I can make the the exact shape I want!

I have a tiny head and hats are always too big for me.

But with this one, its adjustable! Yay!!  I just untied the string, tightened it up and then retied the bow.  Boom!  Fits absolutely perfectly!

I got the straw colored one with a brown ribbon/string and white/ivory buttons

Does anyone else have a big glob of hot glue under the "bow" of the hat? I thought I could loosen it a little, but the big glob is so obvious on the dark brown, if I move the bow.

Got my box and I like everything except for the hat, which makes me look like a redneck in dirty jean overalls chewing on a grass straw. I get that the RV of this hat is high, but to me it looks incredibly cheap; there's nothing sophisticated about it, so it's not my style at all. 

My PS box came today.  Overall this isn't my favorite box.  It lacked the wow factor for me.  But, the items will be used.

The hat is ok.  It is a little tight on me.  I don't think it was that comfortable.   So I probably won't get a lot of use out of it.  I also couldn't get it the brim of the hat to look right.  I tried adjusting it various ways.  

The coconut snack is delicious.  My kids loved it too.

I like that they sent sunscreen with after sun care lotion.  I have a ton of sunscreen from other boxes right now so I will keep this for a future time.

I don't think I would spend $7 for straws.  Target has had similar straws in their $1 bins.  The amount of straws is less but, they are paper straws with designs on them.  We will use them in our house.

The salad spoons are cute.  There is a flaw on one of the spoons.  It has a white dot in the middle of the chevron pattern.  I am not going to contact PS since I won't be gifting it.

I am not a big jump rope person.  I received one in a previous Mizzfit quarterly box and a horrible one in the one and only her fitness box I received.  But, this is something that may be used.  It looks like a decent jump rope.

The extra of Revlon mascara is ok.  I have a TON of mascara to go through from other boxes.  But, since this is new I will add it to my pile of nascar to try out.

I think if you love the hat, then this box would be a hit.  I still liked the box even though it wasn't my favorite.

I am off to sneak some more of those coconut chips.

Just got my shipping! Excited. My box from last month is still sitting here next to me relatively untouched. I'm looking forward to the hat especially now that I've been spending more time outdoors so I'm not my usual "vampire" coloring. lol

Ok, I take that back about being excited for my shipping. I live on the East Coast now. In fact a drive down to NYC would take me three-ish hours while a drive down to Jersey would be a bit longer. So WHY is it going to take MORE THAN A WEEK for my Pop Sugar box to arrive? LOL Googling the location from where it shipped and it's a little under a four hour drive. A week! LOL A whole week!
You moved to the Boston area, right? For what it's worth, I live in Boston and I usually get my popsugar box about three mail-days before the what the tracking says, so I would bet on your package arriving Monday at the latest!

Got my package today!!

First thought at seeing the hat (black variety): "I do not love this one tiny bit." 

After trying it on: "I love this so much!"

I would never buy this hat for myself, but I've been wanting something similar for years. Even if I'm not brave enough to wear it out frequently out of the house, I love having one just like this for sitting on the porch or playing dress up (times when I pretend I'll actually wear more daring items out of the house, which happens only occasionally). 

Agree with others about no 'Wow' factor in this box, but do love the spoons, and super excited for the jump rope, as I've just started working out again. Straws are always great in my house--my roommates and I have a full bar--though I'm a little iffy on the paper quality. 

I got the mascara in a previous box, so I'll probably gift it to my roomie, and I love coconut anything, so will find a time to snack on these. 

Overall, pleased with the box as I would never buy any of these of my own but like all the items. I am looking forward, though, to being Wowed for a future box (loved last month's Turkish towel SO MUCH; June was definitely worth it for me). 

I got my box today and received the dark brown hat.  I noticed that others were having trouble with it being too tight, but this one is enormous and covers half my head.  I had to fiddle with the wire brim to make it stay high enough for me to see.  It makes me  wonder if there was a size difference between the straw colored hat and the brown (even though it says 'one size fits all').  

I have several hats, but I always feel silly wearing them.  Yet I see other women wearing hats and they make them look so cute.  I think this one looks 'boho chic' and would be nice paired with a maxi dress (sadly, I can't wear those either because I'm short).   As for offering shade, the weave is so loose that I'm not sure it would really do much to keep me cool or protect my face from the sun.  

That being said, I'll definitely give it a try and I think that while not my favorite box, this one was very much in keeping with summer fun.   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

A number of people have been expressing concern about the hat working with a bunch of thick, curly hair, so I figured I'd post a picture of myself wearing it. I don't know if it necessarily comes across in this picture so much, but I have a ton of thick and often unruly hair, and it fits under the hat just fine (sometimes I have issues with hats because while they may technically "fit" on my head, all my hair poofs out crazily directly under the hat band, and it looks ridiculous). I just rolled out of bed in this pic and was too lazy to put on makeup or change out of my pajamas, so hopefully you can use your imagination to think of what it'll look like when you're decked out poolside...haha! Sadly I don't really like the look on me, but it DOES fit.

image.jpg

Anyway, I am unfortunately one of the people who felt like this month was a dud. I think this hat and I just weren't meant to be. I opened the box spoiler-free and when I first saw the material I thought it was going to be a little beach tote and got pretty excited...and then I opened up all the tissue and saw the hat, complete with hot glue threads stuck to it and sticking out from under the little bow, and I felt disappointed. When I lifted it up to see what else was in the box, my initial reaction was "that's it?"

It's not because I'm personally not excited about the items (I mean I'm not, on the whole, but I get that every month of a sub box isn't going to be tailored to my specific tastes), but because for me I don't feel like the value is really there this month. Maybe it's because I got a bad hat (in addition to the glue, the sea grass is already starting to fray apart near the start of the brim), but this felt to me like a bunch of stuff I could pick up at TJ Maxx, vs a box of fun, exciting items that just happened to not fit my taste perfectly. Womp womp :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I will say that I think the coconut chips are delicious, I was already thinking of buying a jump rope, I'm sure the sunscreen will be used at some point this summer and I have friends who will like the straws and salad servers, so it's not like I think it's the worst thing in the world--but it's definitely one of those months that I feel like I would've skipped if I wasn't already subscribed.
That hat looks AMAZING on you. I too live in NYC and I've been seeing lots of hats on the streets this summer so you can totally rock it!!

My hair is also extremely similar to yours (mine is just cut shorter right now), so this gives me high hopes! I just hope it fits my enormous head.

I just got my box today.  It was a referral box for me, so for free it's certainly nothing to complain about!  I'm not much of a hat person, but I'll wear them to the beach and could maybe be persuaded to wear them out and about on very hot days.  I have a fairly small head and fine hair, and the hat was pretty snug on me.  It was bent from being in the box, but if I play with it a bit, I think I'll like the way it looks.  The jump rope is probably my favorite thing in the box since I've been thinking of getting one for a while.  The straws are fine, but I wish they weren't paper.  As long as they don't collapse in my drinks, I'll use them.  The salad servers are cute.   I already have my own set, but I'll probably still find a use for them.  I haven't tried the coconut chips yet, but I love coconut, so I'm sure they will be good.  I have a ton of sunscreen and mascara already, but I'm slowly working through it all, so these will just go into the pile.

I didn't hate this box by any means, but there wasn't much in it that I was really excited about.  I think I'll use everything, though, which isn't something I can always say for sub boxes.  Overall, it was fine, but not one of my favorites.

Aww! Thank you!! I sure it will look fabulous on you! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Maybe I just need to get used to it ... I don't wear a lot of hats, so I tend to generally feel awkward in them (plus I live in NYC which isn't really a prime place for beachy sun hats, at least not to me). I'm going to Costa Rica in a few months, so maybe that'll be a good time for me to try wearing it!
That hat looks amazing on you! Just the thing to pack on your trip to Costa Rica! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Oh man.  I just tried these coconut chips and they are wicked good!  It's the only the second snack item from Popsugar I've loved in about a year (Pipcorn being the other one).  I'm eating "paleo" so this is great to know!  While this brand isn't paleo I already found a recipe to make them on my own.  Now I'm super happy with this box!

I got my box and thankfully the hat fits! I'll be rocking the dogeared horseshoe necklace and Michael stars hat, feel free to run up to me screaming popsugar frieeeeeend!

Still undecided about the popsugar/simple thingy at the Grove or going to the OC fair... what freebies were at the other events? Because otherwise there's not much reason to scoot my butt to LA

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI: If the jumprope is too long you can adjust the length by untwisting the top of the handle and shortening the rope. I'm a trainer and have ropes of all different length for different clients. You can also try a knot on the rope at the top near the handle if that's easier. I'm excited for this rope to keep for myself. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Jumping rope is one of my favorite ways to exercise! I take a rope on nearly every vacation so I can squeeze in a workout no matter what.

I love the hat, lucky for me it fits and looks ok. Beach hats never work for me and I really have been needing one.

I use sun bum and it goes on super smoothly and smells great. I'm happy to try the lotion out as well!

The coconut chips are delicious! I'm trying to avoid grains & dairy so new snacks are always welcome!!

The straws and spoons are cute and fun! I'll definitely utilize them, even if it's just with me and my hubs. I've used paper straws at a few outdoor events and they were just fine.

I'm nearly out of my mascara stash so I'll use the revlon soon and am happy with this as an extra.

My box showed up as a surprise today as I have been too busy to pay attention to tracking this month and it was a pleasant surprise!

So the paper straws are adorable but I agree that they aren't the greatest to drink out of BUT Des from The Bachelor(ette) instagrammed this fun DIY project with paper straws today...just an idea for those looking for a way to repurpose!

A number of people have been expressing concern about the hat working with a bunch of thick, curly hair, so I figured I'd post a picture of myself wearing it. I don't know if it necessarily comes across in this picture so much, but I have a ton of thick and often unruly hair, and it fits under the hat just fine (sometimes I have issues with hats because while they may technically "fit" on my head, all my hair poofs out crazily directly under the hat band, and it looks ridiculous). I just rolled out of bed in this pic and was too lazy to put on makeup or change out of my pajamas, so hopefully you can use your imagination to think of what it'll look like when you're decked out poolside...haha! Sadly I don't really like the look on me, but it DOES fit.

image.jpg

Anyway, I am unfortunately one of the people who felt like this month was a dud. I think this hat and I just weren't meant to be. I opened the box spoiler-free and when I first saw the material I thought it was going to be a little beach tote and got pretty excited...and then I opened up all the tissue and saw the hat, complete with hot glue threads stuck to it and sticking out from under the little bow, and I felt disappointed. When I lifted it up to see what else was in the box, my initial reaction was "that's it?"

It's not because I'm personally not excited about the items (I mean I'm not, on the whole, but I get that every month of a sub box isn't going to be tailored to my specific tastes), but because for me I don't feel like the value is really there this month. Maybe it's because I got a bad hat (in addition to the glue, the sea grass is already starting to fray apart near the start of the brim), but this felt to me like a bunch of stuff I could pick up at TJ Maxx, vs a box of fun, exciting items that just happened to not fit my taste perfectly. Womp womp :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I will say that I think the coconut chips are delicious, I was already thinking of buying a jump rope, I'm sure the sunscreen will be used at some point this summer and I have friends who will like the straws and salad servers, so it's not like I think it's the worst thing in the world--but it's definitely one of those months that I feel like I would've skipped if I wasn't already subscribed.
i think the hat looks adorable on you! My hat came with a stitch in the bow to keep it set no glue any where. Weird because a couple of the girls have said there was glue on their hats as well.

Oh, the mascara was a special extra. That is a far better special extra than one other box that had extras this month, not to name names or anything... 

Also it looks like the new cards don't say that there may be variations, since there clearly are in the hats. The old ones used to say that. Oh well, love it all, and thanks for the p
love the mascara brush!

Back