POPSUGAR Must Have - September 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Dalisay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my pop up pantry today. The best thing in it was the dry ice. I put it in a pot with water and it started "smoking" lol
Don't keep the ice at home. This is compressed CO2. It evaporates, you don't want to inhale carbon dioxide. Just throw it outside and it will disappear. Another annoying packaging part. You can also get burned by touching it unprotected. They should probably put a notice in the box, cause who would want to read the ice packaging??

Don't keep the ice at home. This is compressed CO2. It evaporates, you don't want to inhale carbon dioxide. Just throw it outside and it will disappear. Another annoying packaging part. You can also get burned by touching it unprotected. They should probably put a notice in the box, cause who would want to read the ice packaging??
Yup we placed it in a black pot with water and left it outside to give that witche's cauldren effect when we got it.

Yup we placed it in a black pot with water and left it outside to give that witche's cauldren effect when we got it.
Sounds like fun;-) I just tossed it into the backyard and forgot about it.

Sorry to discuss the pop up pantry again but I finally tried the meal and yikes it was bad! The only thing I really liked was the dessert. The halibut was so dry and tasteless. The directions were not very clear. They should have made separate directions for defrosted and frozen because I thought the cooking time was way too long for defrosted fish and yep I was right. I even had a friend look at the directions to see if I missed anything and she was just as confused at the common sense of needing different cooking times. Was fun cooking it and dishing it up but not fun to wash the pots and cookie sheet after being disappointed by the outcome.

I'm sad my package didn't have any more dry ice when I got it because that would have been fun.

Oh well, it was something new to try that I did not pay much for and now onto waiting for October's Box (I'm still fully enjoying September's box so I'm not too anxious since no one has spoilers to entice me yet).

Originally Posted by AliMo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sorry to discuss the pop up pantry again but I finally tried the meal and yikes it was bad! The only thing I really liked was the dessert. The halibut was so dry and tasteless. The directions were not very clear. They should have made separate directions for defrosted and frozen because I thought the cooking time was way too long for defrosted fish and yep I was right. I even had a friend look at the directions to see if I missed anything and she was just as confused at the common sense of needing different cooking times. Was fun cooking it and dishing it up but not fun to wash the pots and cookie sheet after being disappointed by the outcome.

I'm sad my package didn't have any more dry ice when I got it because that would have been fun.

Oh well, it was something new to try that I did not pay much for and now onto waiting for October's Box (I'm still fully enjoying September's box so I'm not too anxious since no one has spoilers to entice me yet).
This is a Sous-vide method of cooking. I read about it and realized why it tasted different. Not for me either.

Well, today was a Popsugar day at our house, because we used the free movie tickets and ate the Pop-up pantry thing today. We thought the movie was okay.

I ordered the halibut meal that came with chicken yakitori and bread pudding. I have to say, I am a stay at home wife, so I cook a lot, and sometimes I cook things that are complicated, but I was a bit overwhelmed with trying to heat up and defrost everything at once. I had to write down a list of times and when to do what and I had to adjust that, since things weren't cooking fast enough, or defrosting fast enough. I had to cook the meat five minutes longer than it said, and then re-cook the halibut another five or so minutes on top of that, because it was not cooked enough for us. Also, everything could have used a lot more sauce.

I think it was good for frozen food, but a lot more trouble. I liked the chicken yakitori the best. The bread pudding is pretty good, but could have used a sauce. We thought the halibut was okay, it really could have used a lot more of the sauce. The things that re-heated worst were the cucumber salad and the steamed vegetables.

When I heard about this service, I was thinking it would be good for someone who doesn't really cook, because it has everything you need and you end up with a full meal. But now I am really confused about who it would really be best for, because I think it does require a bit of cooking know-how and a bit of equipment to turn out right. I think someone who doesn't cook would be much better off ordering take-out. But most people who cook, would rather buy their own vegetables fresh. So, I don't know who the service is aimed at. I still think it is way better than regular frozen food, but not very impressive.

I finally got a chance to preparing the Pop Up Pantry. It was really easy; put water in a pot, bring to boil, place pouches in the boiling water for 25 minutes, and done. 

As for the taste for the main course, it was "meh"

The dessert was good though. Wished they sold their cookies that we got from the september box...

If anyone wants to see pics of it, it's in my blog :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I finally got a chance to preparing the Pop Up Pantry. It was really easy; put water in a pot, bring to boil, place pouches in the boiling water for 25 minutes, and done. 

The dessert was good though. Wished they sold their cookies that we got from the september box...

If anyone wants to see pics of it, it's in my blog :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Thanks for sharing your review! I'll be making mine tomorrow so we'll see how it turns out. PS I subbed to your blog - love all the pics you feature! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

We're having this delivered on Friday. Nice to know what we can expect!

Wahoo!  I contacted PopSugar because my last box came damaged and they offered to send out a second box which arrived today!  I am so happy to have a few extra caramels and another gorgeous scarf!  Yeah!!!!!

I got my Pop Up Pantry order last night and overall it was just OK. My meal was:

BBQ Pork Shank

Cornbread

Salmon Cakes

Peach Crisp

Overall prep/cook time was about 45 minutes. Both my boyfriend and I thought the BBQ pork was easily the best. The salmon cakes were fresh but kind of dry and lacking flavor. The cornbread was a big too soggy (I tried cooking longer but it didn't help) and the peach crisp wasn't rich enough. All in all I appreciate the effort, the instructions were clear and easy to understand and the portions were fair. Just not worth $38 retail in my opinion.

I received my pop up pantry meal yesterday:  Shrimp and grits, oyster rockafeller dip (though I think it was spin/artichoke dip), and pear and almond tart.  The food was ok for being "free."  I cook a lot and I understand that you must properly season your food for it to taste good, so I felt the food was a little underseasoned.  I found my fave part to be the shrimp and pepper relish.  Still, what a fun thing to have gotten in our September boxes!!!  And regarding that dry ice, I'm pretty sure I almost burned myself on it.

I have finished the book and am going to use the movie tickets next weekend. There needs to be a popsugar book club if we are going to get a book each month.

Does anyone have a Popup Pantry code they're not going to use? I'd be willing to pay or swap nail polish/makeup for it. 

Originally Posted by shammycat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Does anyone have a Popup Pantry code they're not going to use? I'd be willing to pay or swap nail polish/makeup for it. 
 Check your PM.

I tried to use mine today.  It didn't work.  I've sent email asking if it got shut down even though there is no expiration date listed since it's now November, but I haven't heard back yet.

Latest posts

Back