Pressing MINERAL powders

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Momo /img/forum/go_quote.gif Well my aloe pressed pigment is really hard and no color will come off it. I thought it was still drying until I poked it a minute ago. Maybe putting it in the toaster oven was a bad idea. Sorry, I'll try again LOLI'm going to try with a tiny little eucaplyptus oil because it is a natural antiseptic.

LOL. You sound like an absolute mad scientist!!!!!

tried it with alcohol.... didnt do any good, i do have some jojoba oil, its for skin and hair. could i try this?

Lol, let us know more about your experiments! i want to press mine too. But I haven't had the chance to try.

might be worht a shot? jojoba is tecnically a wax after all... although i wonder how it would harden up.

You guys are going to get a kick out of this I’m sure.

I’ve pressed lots of e/s with no real problems, I’ve had a few pressed e/s for over a month now with no issues. I used . . . . Purell. Yup, the hand sanitizer. It’s got alcohol and moisturizers in it.

You just mix the powder with the purell and spoon it into a container then press with something covered in tissues to draw off some of the excess moisture and then let it dry for a few days. I actually like to use an empty 5g jar cause I can then fit a whole full-sized e/s in there and save myself some space. The alcohol evaporates off leaving the moisturizers to bind the powder. It works surprisingly well.

Originally Posted by sailalong /img/forum/go_quote.gif You guys are going to get a kick out of this I’m sure.
I’ve pressed lots of e/s with no real problems, I’ve had a few pressed e/s for over a month now with no issues. I used . . . . Purell. Yup, the hand sanitizer. It’s got alcohol and moisturizers in it.

You just mix the powder with the purell and spoon it into a container then press with something covered in tissues to draw off some of the excess moisture and then let it dry for a few days. I actually like to use an empty 5g jar cause I can then fit a whole full-sized e/s in there and save myself some space. The alcohol evaporates off leaving the moisturizers to bind the powder. It works surprisingly well.

So simple yet makes a lot of sense. I'm kinda tempted to try these out!
can you post pics of your pressed minerals? TIA!

According to diycosmetics.com, the usage rate of binders is generally 10% of the total formula. They use Caprylic Capric Triglyceride, aka fractionated Coconut Oil as their preferred binder as it is light and holds the powders together well.

You can read the step-by-step instructions here:

Make Your own Cosmetics, Cosmetic Packaging, Mineral and Color Cosmetic Ingredients

Good luck!
smile.gif

Oh thanks Ananda. 10%? I must definitely be using too much so far then.

Hi Momo!

Your powder only needs to be slightly damp to be pressable. I think the key factor in pressing powders successfully is how hard you compress the powder into your container.
smile.gif

Btw, I've only read about pressing powders but I've never done it before.

I don't know if this applies to fractionated coconut oil, but regular coconut oil clogs pores for some people. Jojoba oil too.

Originally Posted by KatieM /img/forum/go_quote.gif I don't know if this applies to fractionated coconut oil, but regular coconut oil clogs pores for some people. Jojoba oil too. Oh, tell me about it, KatieM! That's precisely why I switched completely to making my own loose MMU...so that I can do away with ingredients like binders, solvents and fragrances in my makeup.
rockwoot.gif
laughing.gif

Not sure if this has been posted, but here's a link (lots of pix!) to pigment pressing:

Removed by admin

Spec-ktra doesn't allow us to post their links

Food grade oil might be problematic because it could breed bacteria. Essential oils won't, but they're too strong to be applied to the skin, except for Tea Tree and Lavender, I think.

Enjoy and keep us posted!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Qwerty /img/forum/go_quote.gif Not sure if this has been posted, but here's a link (lots of pix!) to pigment pressing:
Removed by admin

Food grade oil might be problematic because it could breed bacteria. Essential oils won't, but they're too strong to be applied to the skin, except for Tea Tree and Lavender, I think.

smile.gif

Wow! That turtorial was so impressive. Thanks for posting this Qwerty (haha, I like typing out your name too, LOL, very clever!
tocktock.gif
)

Originally Posted by Qwerty /img/forum/go_quote.gif Not sure if this has been posted, but here's a link (lots of pix!) to pigment pressing:Removed by admin

smile.gif

It's similar to what I did except I think I built too much binder into it the first time? I tried it again, and I basically did that tutorial except I used aloe with natural preservatives. It's been about 24 hours and I think it's pretty much a success. I didn't have to press it because it is in a 5 gram jar though.
BTW Thanks to ananda, she's right about the 10% binder to 90% powder ratio.

Originally Posted by stashblaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif Ok Momo, I need to know, DO YOU EVER SLEEP? You're always coming up with something new. You got me, I actually dont sleep. lol.

Congratulations, Momo! Have you tried dropping it from a height of 3 feet to test if it's really pressed hard enough? LOL!

Btw, as Becky (Sirvinya) said earlier in this thread, alcohol will not bind loose MMU powder because MMU does not contain binders the way Mac Pigments do.

Mac Pigments contain binders, viscosity-increasing agents and preservatives like Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Isostearyl Neopentanoate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Methylparaben and Propylparaben. And that is in addition to pigments like: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Carmine, Ferric Ferrocyanide, Chromium Oxide Green, Chromium Hydroxide Greens, Yellow 5 Lake, Blue 1 Lake, Red 40 Lake, Manganese Violet, Ultramarines, Bismuth Oxychloride and Red 7 Lake.

By right, loose mineral makeup does not contain these binders, viscosity-increasing agents or preservatives. Hence the use of oil as a binding agent to make pressed mineral makeup.

Here is the ingredient list for Mac Pigments:Removed by admin

Originally Posted by sat-chit-ananda /img/forum/go_quote.gif Congratulations, Momo! Have you tried dropping it from a height of 3 feet to test if it's really pressed hard enough? LOL! I just stood on a chair and dropped my pressed powder on a table, surprisingly it didn't budge! Well the first time it bounced off the mouse pad but after that, no powder loss. Excellent test.
Picture21.jpg
fyrinnae shimmer powder in gold

Since I can't see the links and such I have no idea if this has been brought up. Here is a link I found online.

theconservatorie.com/catalog/Pressed_Effects-8-1.html

The page says "Pressed Effects Cosmetics aren't messy! They don't spill if you drop them or knock them over. They are Mineral based and feel just as light-weight as loose minerals with better coverage

Hope maybe that helps someone.

Heidi, waiting to see links

Grrr. You will have to add the h t t p : / / & then the 3 w's It won't let me even try to say that in that post
frown.gif

Heidi

Originally Posted by Momo /img/forum/go_quote.gif I just stood on a chair and dropped my pressed powder on a table, surprisingly it didn't budge! Well the first time it bounced off the mouse pad but after that, no powder loss. Excellent test.http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1.../Picture21.jpg fyrinnae shimmer powder in gold

That's really neat work, Momo! Is it easy to pick up with an e/s brush? Was there much pigment wastage in the pressing process?
rockwoot.gif

Back