Pressing MINERAL powders

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm definetly going to have to try this. I have a few MM e/s that I rarely wear, but if there were pressed I probably would.

Originally Posted by Momo /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'll post exactly how I did this tommorrow, with pics. Originally Posted by Momo /img/forum/go_quote.gif Awesome! Sorry my tut is delayed, I have been pretty busy lol Momo - Any luck on that tut yet? I'm so anxious to see how you did this!!
biggrin.gif

Ok I have tons of hand sanitizer I am going to have to try this. Anyone have any other ideas? Shadows that are lose seem to flake over my face, so I am going to try this one. Anyone else having luck with the hand sanitizer thing?

No, but I bought some hand sanitizer, so I could try it, but I still haven't! LOL. Hmmm. I wonder if anyone has tried it with mineral blushes, too? I'd love to do that, as well.

Ok I am going to mess with this this week with the hand sanitizer. I have lots of blush and eyeshadows so will try and see what I can do. Not sure I want my blush that way but will try just because LOL

I've been watching from afar. This seems really cool, but where can you get the empty tins from. I'm almost positive that they are in craft stores, but they have a different use there. What is the alternative use? I'd really like to buy a bunch!

Well I tried with Hand sanitizer with Blush, it changed the color of the blush a bit but it did work, use less hand sanitizer than you think I stirred it up with a toothpick LOL

I am going to try eye shadow next. as good as it worked on the blush I think it will really work with the eye shadow

I am just doing it on a plate and only doing a bit at a time, I havent got anything to store in yet so I am doing a bit that I could use in a few days.

Go to a craft store I suppose to get something to store in

ok did the eye shawdow, I dont think the colors are as true as the original eye shadows and not sure how the STAYING power will be but it would be nice to have blush at least in this form in your purse etc.

I will probably conitnue to make a bit of this, it is an alternative and it made applying much easier to me than plain minerals for e/s

hey girls,

Loose eyeshadows are driving me crazy, can you help me with pressing ??

Momo I'm really interested how you pressed your eyeshadows.

I tried with isopropyl alcohol, water and jojoba oil. I added some mild preservative, but the eyeshadow was so hard when it dried out.

I wanted to try the aloe, but Momo disapeared and i do not know, if she was just adding aloe vera gel to the eyeshadow ???

Girls help me.

Actually I pressed a whole bunch of Pure Luxe pigments, the whole process is on my blog. I used a l'oreal toner that is sold in France therefore it has two drawbacks: i'm not sure you can find it where you live and it is not really pure mineral makeup anymore; but I just couldn't stand the mess of loose pigments anymore. If anyone finds this product and wants to give it a try, do make a test on your skin before pressing all your pigments because some people might have allergic reactions as it's supposed to be a face product not an eye product.

ondine, unfortunately your tutorial is in French and I do not speak French. I saw this l'oreal toner in the shops in Poland.

Could you just give me some brief description of how you are pressing the minerals with this toner ??? I'm really interested, while it would be a very affordable way to do this. This toner is not expensive.

Futhermore, do you see any changes with your eyeshadows ? Do they have same colors, they apply better or worse ??

Ok well as i said before i tried this and it worked for me but I really don't want anybody to have bad surprises so please

1/ test the product on the skin near your eyes (if you want to press eye pigments) if it itches/burn/feels strange, stay away from it!!

2/ test the "recipe" first with just one pigment (I personally have not tested it with any other type of MMU) that you don't like too much, that way it it fails you won't want to kill me for it ;0)

So what I do is that i buy a cheapo palette from Claire's, empty it and sanitize it with alcohol.

Then I take my pigment sample (I used 1/4 tsp and it fit in my small palette perfectly after it was mixed with the toner) I add 8 to 10 drops of the toner depending on the pigment (you'll notice different colors don't have the same texture once you've mixed them with exactly the same quantity of product
kopfkratz.gif
).

If it is still too thick after that I usually add just one drop of physiological serum (is that the english name?? it's what we use to clean a baby's eyes).

Then you can have either a very runny texture or a paste-like one it depends on the color but in the end all of mine turned out allright. Pour your mixture in your palette and with a sanitized spatula make the surface as nice and smooth as possible.

Now here's the tricky part: if it's too runny leave it to set for 8-12 hours, if it has a paste like texture you can press it right away: put a piece of cloth over your palette and press veeeery gently on your mixture using a coin or something. I used a cotton piece of material because it has to absorb some liquid from the product. You just want to have a nice and even surface in your pan.

You won't be able to use your pigments straight away: the ones that dried the fastest took 48 hours and the slowest ones took 4 days.

The colours may look different in the pan but once they are applied I did not notice any difference and I had been using those pigments for a while.

Originally Posted by ondine /img/forum/go_quote.gif Ok well as i said before i tried this and it worked for me but I really don't want anybody to have bad surprises so please 1/ test the product on the skin near your eyes (if you want to press eye pigments) if it itches/burn/feels strange, stay away from it!!

2/ test the "recipe" first with just one pigment (I personally have not tested it with any other type of MMU) that you don't like too much, that way it it fails you won't want to kill me for it ;0)

So what I do is that i buy a cheapo palette from Claire's, empty it and sanitize it with alcohol.

Then I take my pigment sample (I used 1/4 tsp and the amount of product fit in my small palette perfectly) I add 8 to 10 drops of the product depending on the pigment (you'll notice different colors don't have the same texture once you've mixed them with exactly the same quantity of product
kopfkratz.gif
).

If it is still too thick after that I usually add just one drop of physiological serum (is that the english name?? it's what we use to clean a baby's eyes).

Then you can have either a very runny texture or a paste-like one it depends on the color but in the end all of mine turned out allright. Pour your mixture in your palette and with a sanitized spatula make the surface as nice and smooth as possible.

Now here's the tricky part: if it's too runny leave it to set for 8-12 hours, if it has a paste like texture you can press it right away: put a piece of cloth over your palette and press veeeery gently on your mixture using a coin or something. I used a cotton piece of material because it has to absorb some liquid from the product. You just want to have a nice and even surface in your pan.

You won't be able to use your pigments straight away: the ones that dried the fastest took 48 hours and the slowest ones took 4 days.

The colours may look different in the pan but once they are applied I did not notice any difference and I had been using those pigments for a while.

The bolded paragraph makes no sense. It seems that you are using the word "product" for two different things. For the pigment itself and the liquid you use to mix the pigment. You don't say what the other "product" is. Unless it is the physiological serum.
Can you clarify this for me?

Originally Posted by PhantomGoddess /img/forum/go_quote.gif The bolded paragraph makes no sense. It seems that you are using the word "product" for two different things. For the pigment itself and the liquid you use to mix the pigment. You don't say what the other "product" is. Unless it is the physiological serum.
Can you clarify this for me?

OMG you are right this is really confusing, sorry about that!
I thought it would be easier if i edited the original message so now it's done
laughing.gif

Originally Posted by ondine /img/forum/go_quote.gif OMG you are right this is really confusing, sorry about that!
I thought it would be easier if i edited the original message so now it's done
laughing.gif

No problem!! I wonder if any toner would work. I assume you are talking about the Loreal toner.

yes I have no idea what it would be called in the US, in France it is from the "visible results" range of products, it has a sort of orange/pink colour and its texture is a little thick, hope that helps

I used this toner sometime ago and had no irritation. This is a very good product for an overdired skin. It was a long time ago, and I didn't check it's ingredients. I'll go to the shop tomorro and check, maybe I'll be able to mix something similar at home. I really want my pigments pressed.

I had pressed some foundation a few months back using only rubbing alcohol (90+%). I pressed it into an empty foundation jar. It worked great, however it didn't survive a trip in checked luggage, and cracked. Here's the results immediately after it was pressed and dried.

1163991113_487b3cd469.jpg

Back