Pressing MINERAL powders

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by sat-chit-ananda /img/forum/go_quote.gif That's really neat work, Momo! Is it easy to pick up with an e/s brush? Was there much pigment wastage in the pressing process?
rockwoot.gif
It is very easy to pick the pigment up especially considering the powder was almost completely shimmer and difficult for me to work with before. I wasted little to no pigment. I'll post exactly how I did this tommorrow, with pics.

Originally Posted by Nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif Wow! That turtorial was so impressive. Thanks for posting this Qwerty (haha, I like typing out your name too, LOL, very clever!
tocktock.gif
) Thank you!
smile.gif
I like this name because I'm so lazy!
Momo, well done! It looks like a professionally packaged product! I'm curious to try this out myself but I'm worried about the bacteria breeding...

Momo, you're genius. I don't know how you come up with these sleek ideas....
smile.gif
Like Qwerty said I would try It too but I'm skeptical about the bacteria thing....LOL

i mixed the alcohol with some mixing medium and it seems to work! its drying up better than alcohol on its own. i will let you know tomorrow if it will hold the e/s!!

awesome semantje! Can't wait to hear about it

I'm gonna try to press some shadows that I don't really care about, let them sit for a month, and then put some alcohol on it. I figure, if the alcohol fizzes a lot then it's eating bacteria that has built up. I'm pretty confident in the aloe's preservatives, but I'll let you guys know.

PICT0727.jpg

ok, here's my tmm cosmo pressed e/s. well it isnt fully dry yet but its definetly holding the e/s better together than alcohol alone. i used 70% alc. mixed with some drops mixing medium and dried it on the flat iron and then i pressed it with a coin but i can still smell the alcohol so i'm gonna let it dry for the night. i hope this works

the cosmo shadow seems to dry up a bit hard (well see tommorow) but i just did a other one with alcohol, mixing medium and a drop of jojobo oil (i hope it will dry up a bit softer)

Wow Momo, that shimmer you pressed looks awesome
smile.gif
I don't have a lot of mineral eyeshadows [i have like 4 samples I think, that I rarely use] but if I ever start building a collection I'll probably try out your aloe pressing method. Loose shadows drive me crazy!

i just tested the e/s that i pressed with alcohol,mixing medium and jojobo oil and it works!!! i can pick up the e/s very easily. i'm now off to ebay to search for a huge palette where i can put most of the mineral e/s that i have in. any suggestions?

Originally Posted by semantje /img/forum/go_quote.gif i just tested the e/s that i pressed with alcohol,mixing medium and jojobo oil and it works!!! i can pick up the e/s very easily. i'm now off to ebay to search for a huge palette where i can put most of the mineral e/s that i have in. any suggestions? really interesting, I want to try this !does it remain better on your eyes ? you can work with the texture like before ?

Originally Posted by cescils /img/forum/go_quote.gif really interesting, I want to try this !does it remain better on your eyes ? you can work with the texture like before ?

i only swatched it on my hand and it applied better than before but i have no idea if it will hold an evening, but oh well... udpp will hold everything

Originally Posted by semantje /img/forum/go_quote.gif i only swatched it on my hand and it applied better than before but i have no idea if it will hold an evening, but oh well... udpp will hold everything yes ! it's magic in a bottle

Originally Posted by semantje /img/forum/go_quote.gif i just tested the e/s that i pressed with alcohol,mixing medium and jojobo oil and it works!!! i can pick up the e/s very easily. i'm now off to ebay to search for a huge palette where i can put most of the mineral e/s that i have in. any suggestions? About the palettes, I would say be creative. I'm going to try to get some air-dry clay (sold in the toy section) and push the tins in there, then pull them out so it can dry. Then I'll have a custom palette
smile.gif

I can't wait to read the full process, Momo!

So if I understand correctly, you just took your mineral shadows and mixed them with aloe, then pressed into a container and let dry?

Where did you get the aloe for this? Do you think this might work as well with loose mineral foundation as with eyeshadow?

i found a old palette that i dont use anymore and it will hold 15 e/s so i'm gonna try this now!

Momo I can't wait for your tutorial on your experiment. I'm itching to try this myself.

I really am waiting too. I'm just starting out but I have a few girlfriends that would rather have pressed then loose powder.

Momo inspired me- I pressed an eye shadow using hand sanitizer as a medium and it worked really well. I'm super thrilled with the results!

I also tried to press a foundation- it wasn't bad, but I think I used too much sanitizer with it, and it uses a lot of foundation. I still prefer my foundations loose, and I end up scraping the top with my fingernail to make it a powder and then applying it with my kabuki. I think if I used less sanitizer it would work better- but I really do just like the loose powder.

Back