QC Makeup Academy???

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah but they seem to have a lot of perks.  The makeup kit (that is included in price) in their own brand which is VERY expensive.  You also get in the field experience.  They take you to NY/LA fashion week, photo shoots, music videos etc etc and you get to actually do makeup not just watch.  

I'm taking one by NOMA. It's a good starter makeup course. But its only about $350, and thats all i can afford right now

Ohh that's really cool, I'd love to go to NY fashion week. I am actually doing a lots of hands-on work, since I already had a very small client base when I started school. Hopefully it continues to grow, as I'm really loving this and hope to make it my permanent career. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm scared to do makeup on someone else haha.  Since I'm asian I'm so used to doing makeup on asian features.  I'm not even sure if I could do it on anyone else!! 

In NY, no matter what courses you take--on line or in person--you CANNOT touch another individual's face in a retail or service type of career unless you are licensed. You have to have a certain number of hours of schooling in a NYS certified schooling setting. You can call NYS's  licensing department to get a list of requirements. Cosmetology is different from esthetician which is different from a nail tech, etc.

Be careful. Since I live in NY, I'd love to take courses online but it would just be a waste of money since specific schools are required here to get a license. And trust me... NYS knows this and so do the schools. They tend to charge a FORTUNE for their classes!!

^^^She's right. But in Georgia, you are not required to be licensed to apply makeup as an artist.

However, you have to be a student somewhere or be licensed to get Pro discounts at places.

Just look into the laws of your state and find out first!

Hiya, I live in the United Kingdom.. Do you know if the certificates from the QC make up academy will be suitable for me? 

I don't think that anything will beat hands on learning BUT I know there are a lot of people who don't have specialized makeup courses in their area or don't have the time to get to class.  In those cases, I think the online way is a no-brainer.  If you have a basic understanding of makeup and can learn without someone actually being there you should be fine. 

I'm pretty sure most states require you to be a licensed esthetician or cosmetologist in order to work in a salon.  Freelancers should be okay though.  I know that's how it is in California and Michigan.

@Bonnie - NP is a great school, from what I have heard.  I used to walk by their store every day! Have you looked into MUD in Burbank?  That is one of the best.  Super expensive but they do offer financial aid!

Originally Posted by livethelux /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@Bonnie - NP is a great school, from what I have heard.  I used to walk by their store every day! Have you looked into MUD in Burbank?  That is one of the best.  Super expensive but they do offer financial aid!

Do you happen to know what mud runs?

I understand that! I'm half korean and can basically do my own face now and when I try and transfer that way of doing it on someone else I have to modify my methods drastically. lol

anyhoo! I'm new and was looking for info on a distance makeup course as well. I've looked into sooo many and have seen so many negative things but only one school in my area teaches the tiniest bit about makeup within an esthetics degree. I went and spoke to the dean or whatever she's called and she told me to not even pursue a makeup artist career that I would make zero money and I've been discouraged ever since. I live in KY btw and the school was PJ's beauty school in case there is one in ya'lls areas. they suck! But I would like to know who the classes go wiht QC ^^

So what I would like to know is if upon completion of the online course at QC or NOMA are you issued a license? From what I understand I believe the answer is no, but I really need a clear answer. Anyone know?

Cindy, I am so glad you posted this.  I am signing up for them tomorrow.  You made me feel so much better.  Thanks alot.   How is the class going since you've posted this?

You do not get a licensed but you will receive certification stating that you're a Professional Master Makeup Artist.  The good thing is you are not required to have a license in most states IF YOUR GOING TO BE DOING FREELANCE WORK.  You are required to be licensed more so if you're trying to work in a spa/salon type setting.  

Re: Licenses

There are actually several types of licenses and yes if you're a free lance MUA you will still need at least ONE type of license. This applies to those in the US.

Professional license:

A professional license is awarded to someone who went to the school of their professional, took the state exams, passed the state exams and was issued a professional license. In the world of beauty there are several professional licenses awards by the state - Cosmetology Instructor, Cosmetologist, Barber, Manicurist and Esthetician. Not all states require a MUA to have a professional license. You can only get this type of license if you went to a beauty school.

State business license:

A state license is typically mandatory in ALL states since they want you to collect taxes for them and pay them their share of taxes. Even beauty salons that don't sell products are required to have a state license and many states do require even those selling stuff like Avon or Amway to have a state business license. The state wants their money and if you don't have a license and they catch you they can fine you huge amounts of money. If you plan on becoming a free lance MUA you NEED to find out if your state requires you to have a state business license. In my state you are required to have a state business license for pretty much everything.

City business license:

A city business license is typically mandatory in ALL cities. Like they state the city wants their share of any money you make. Unlike the state most cities won't fine you if they catch you but in some cities you CAN go to jail without a city license. Nothing worse to your reputation as having been arrested for not having a license.

So remember, there are different types of licenses and while you might not need a professional license to practice most likely you will need a state and/or city business license. Also don't forget as an independent MUA you are a business owner and will need to file a yearly report (Schedule C) with the IRS by April 15.

Originally Posted by Be Radiant 26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I personally have not taken any long distance courses from QC Makeup Academy or any other school. They may be great, I can't say for sure. I can tell you that there are A LOT of great books out there and videos that you can get a hold of for free or very inexpensive. The thing about make up is that the only thing that is going to help you get better at it is practice. My suggestion would be invest in some great books to read about all the different techniques and then have your friends comeover and practice. Take pictures each time so that you can compare and start to see your progess. You can also buy great starter kits on line for around $600, camerareadycosmetcs.com has great ones. After you get comfortable have a photographer do a portfolio party with you. It will help you get quality pictures. Most makeup lines just ask you to submit shots of your work and a business card saying you are a makeup artist to get a discount on there line.

All that being said, the distance course may be worth it BUT you can also do it on your own if you have a tight budget.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Could you (or anyone else) recommend some good books or online resources? I'm not interested in becoming a professional make up artist but I have become the make up witch in my group of family and friends (which I love being) and would like to work on my skills and learn proper technique.

sarah nerd: I love watching the youtube tutorials by Yoceline Barragan.. She is really good && has good technique..

I am very interested in this school since I am a stay at home mom since I became pregnant with my 2nd child :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I checked out alot of schools that were accrediated costing around $22,000 in Ca.. Thats crazy this school actually lets you do small payments.. If anyone knows more about this school I'd love to know..

Back