QC Makeup Academy???

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by jdmbarbie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

sarah nerd: I love watching the youtube tutorials by Yoceline Barragan.. She is really good && has good technique..

Thanks I'm going to look her up!  I've learned a lot on Youtube.

To clarify (I work at a makeup school in NYC), you do NOT need licensing in any state to practice makeup artistry. The only gray area is if you are planning to work full time in a salon as their in-house makeup artist (hard to come by though!), you would need either a license in cosmetology or esthetician. However, you cannot tweeze hairs on anyone's face as that falls under what I think @SassyAuburn was referring to, esthetician work or the like.

There is no licensing for makeup artistry, which is why all makeup schools provide certification instead. Certification is really just the proof of training, as well as a way to secure the professional makeup cards from makeup companies. NYS would tell you, as they assume you are asking about cosmetology -- but cosmetology schools tend to be about 95% hair, and the little makeup artistry training their schools provide is not enough to feel confident if makeup is your passion.

Having seen first hand the benefit of taking classes in-person rather than online, I highly promote the idea that it takes practice and hands on training (not just a video telling you what to do) to learn a technical trade (which I think makeup artistry is!). Before I worked at my makeup school, I was doing the same thing as everyone else -- watching YouTube videos, reading articles online, etc. But I still realized that once I began taking classes, I was way off from what I thought I was doing right.

Having a professional at your side correcting technique and giving tips is so much more useful than what I had been doing! However, totally get that there aren't makeup classes everywhere, but it may not hurt to contact a professional makeup artist in your area and ask if you could trade free assistant work for training.

I ordered the information by mail they offer and it came today.  I'm not really impressed by the "make up starter kit" they offer which consists of an 88 eyeshadow palette, a 6 color foundation palette, and a concealer wheel.  What they sent didn't show a brush set like pictured in this thread but all four identical or near identical items can be bought on eBay for under $50 total and not much more from Coastal Scents. I recognized the palettes instantly because I already have them. I'm interested in how much actual teacher to student time is involved and if it justifies the cost, or if it's more of a learn by book and dvd type of deal which is the impression I got from the catalog they sent.  I'm sure proof of training helps if you decide to make a career of this, but I'm just generally skeptical with stuff like this so I hope you update us as you get deeper into it.

I just sent away for a package and got it yesterday, they seem very legit have lots of info on the school in their book!

Originally Posted by christinaischic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

To clarify (I work at a makeup school in NYC), you do NOT need licensing in any state to practice makeup artistry.
Again it depends on state law.

Here's an example of professions that there are no schools for yet you're required to have a professional license with the state. In my state (WA) they recently required tattoo artists to become licensed just like a cosmetologist needs to have a professional license. That's what it's called in my state - a professional license. There are no schools for tattoo artistry but if you want to be a tattoo artist in my state (much less have a tattoo parlor) you need to have that license or you can have your shop shut down and worse be tossed in jail for practicing without a license.

Now there is no professional license for makeup artistry, not at this time, but my state legislators are working on requiring a professional license for MUA. I always recommend to people to check with the state to see if a professional license is required.

I'm thinking about signing up for NOMA. I don't want this as a career, but it'd be fun to do prom girls, and women with cancer, and things like that.If I make money on the side, then that's even better.  NOMA doesn't have a facebook page, and I was leery of any company that has only a myspace page that's not even updated. 

I am on the first unit of QC make up academy. I chose the monthly payment option. It makes the course go incredibly slow, so I'm going to change that. It takes me awhile, cause I'm involved in Yelp activities on yelp.com, so I have chosen to do one assignment a week. I might speed that up, but there's alot of work to those assignments. It's the real deal. Unit b, which I don't have yet, I'll start working with people. 

Thanks a ton for this information! It was very helpful being that I am on a TIGHT budget but would like to learn more.

i just signed up cause I have had the same problem you had.  It seems to be a good accredited school.

i'm living in the uk aswell n i ordered the brochure and it said that they do give you a certificate and it cost £898 and thats with an £100 discount but thats only if you pay in a full amount. i think its a really good 'un because most local beauty salon/bridal studios that i've looked at charge around 1-3k and you can learn at your own pace aswell. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hello I just joined.  I am very glad I found this thread!  I have been looking into online makeup artistry course's and found "QC Makeup Academy" and wanted more info about it from ppl who joined QC.  I did get the info packet in the mail.  I also was wondering if any had info about a few other online makeup artistry course's that I found while surfing the net, here is my list.  "Hex Makeup School", "Rain Makeup academy", "University of Makeup" and "Robert Jones Makeup Academy."  Also what is this "Noma" I just read about?  Any info on all or ANY of these online course's would be GREAT!  Thanks for the help!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I would love to hear your progress Cindy!! Any one else tried a distance learning MUA program/class??

Hi.  In answer to your question, YES.  You do get a diploma that you can use to get jobs in the field.  Your designation depends on which course you take.  I am taking the Master makeup course so my designation will be Master International Makeup Professional (MIMP).

@David Thomas Are you taking the QC Master Course?  I having been checking every on-line course out there and This and HEX seem to be the best.  How are you liking it so far? 

Has anyone heard of RPM Makeup Academy? 

Thanks :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm with Christineischic on this.  IF you don't need a license for it, don't bother with school.  The best thing you can do is try to shadow someone, like you would in any other trade.  Frankly, practice makes perfect, and once you know proper sanitation, the only thing that's going to help is practicing on a range of faces and features.  If you have friends who'd be willing to let you practice on them, do!  Again:  only after you know proper sanitation.  However, putting makeup on your friends does not make you a makeup artist, and I feel like I have to clarify that, as well.  Find a professional in your area, and as long as they're an actual professional who's doing things correct, soak them up like a sponge!

I started out watching youtube videos, following people around, practicing on friends, and eventually taking clients.  Then I started working at Sephora, and received formal training, but fortunately I breezed through it because I already knew the majority of it.  The validation was nice, though, and I loved the experience so I'm not complaining.

True artistry, however, can't be taught.  The passion and the focus and the skill (though unrefined in the beginning) cannot be taught.  Sure, you can learn technique and probably get by on a basic level, but there's a difference between doing paint by numbers and being a painter, haha.  If you truly love it, you'll find a way!  Good luck!

Hi there so I saw your post about the QC MUA academy. I had requested some infoo about a month ago and wanted to ask how you are liking it. I am a little hesitant since it is online and everything. Would you mind emailing me and letting me know your thoughts?

Thank you

Shantelle :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

All I know is that no one in the tv and film industry has even heard of QC Make-up Academy. And this school is not even recognized by IA if anyone is thinking of going in the film/tv direction as a career.

Also, that MIMP term doesn't even mean anythng or exsist anywhere. But don't take my word for it. Google it yourself and find out! Speaking of which, certificates, diplomas, degrees don't mean anything in the make-up world, perhaps in retail, but they train you anyway. All it says is that you went to a make-up school. It doesn't mean that you're good or proficient.

Make-up is the type of career and "trade" that is very hands on. Just like an electrician, aircraft mechanic, HVAC technician, hairstylist, helicopter pilot, fashion designer, taking your drivers test, etc, etc... No employer will take you seriously if you took your training in any of those trades through an on-line course do they? And make-up is no different. Why should it be? If someone can tell me that at least, I'll drop this topic right now.

Like other posters have already mention in this thread, make-up is all about hands on and practice, practice, practice, and friggin' more practice and then practice some more.

A proper make-up school that is recognized by State, Provincial and Federal Education systems and Boards, is the make-up school you need to attend if you want to become a Pro MUA. Plain and simple. You need instructors that will give you real-time feedback, advice, correction, and Q&A, you work on each other, you get to use a variety of products, learn a variety of techniques, you get guest speakers, some even do field trips to working film sets, editorial photoshoots, and retail counters. Half-way through the course you get to practice by volunteering your services at student fashion shows. The make-up school I went to did all of these things and more. On-line courses don't give you this type of learning opportunity or experience.

On-line courses only work if you want to be a data entry clerk, a web developer, a blogger, a key cutter, an accountant, a political activist, etc.

I've also known a few Pro MUA's who were self-taught and they are doing quite well for themselves. Others, not so much.

However, it's up to you where you want to invest in your future, or throw your money away to. I am just pointing out the differences between the two educational styles.

Back