RUDE Employees at MAC

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is always best to direct complaints to the one with the most at stake. Store managers only see their position as a job and seldom care about complaints. The higher the position, the more they know how much$$$ is walking out the door when potential customers go somewhere else and taking their wallets with them. Store clerks and store managers only see their own targets and are satisfied when they are met. Larger stakeholders deal in growth and potentials. If you think you were not heard, ask for their boss until you get satisfaction. MAC is a large corporation...there's always someone above who you just talked to until you get to the president.

It's just the local MAC counter at Macy's of all places lol, so I don't know why they'd get soooo huffy and rude like that. So I'm wondering if they're actually Macy's run and I'd have to lodge my "grievances" with them.

Ask an employee of Macy's if the Mac counter is part of Macy's, ask them who is the store manager is and their contact info. I once asked the person I was going to complain about who their manager was, he gave me someone who could cover for him. I called back to reception, asked the receptionist who the store manager was and complained about both of them!

When these things happen, MAC needs to know about it. That's the only way they're going to be made aware of the issue and take the necessary steps to coach the sales associates/MUAs or whatever you want to call them. If no one tells them about it, how do they know this problem exists? I personally don't have a major problem with getting service at MAC. I've been to 2 stores and 2 counters in the past week. There have been individuals that weren't that friendly - a coule over the past 11+ years I've been a MAC customer. But if I feel like someone isn't friendly, I'll complain about them. I'll either tell them to their face or ask to speak with a manager. I won't just go away quietly. I refuse to let them (service people in general, not just MAC employees) treat me badly and get away with it.

I'm going to call my local Macy's and see who runs the MAC counter and store manager, regional, up the chain because I've never received good service, save one visit. I don't feel i should have to drive over an hour to find a MAC store/counter willing to take my money or deign to do more than sniff in my direction. They could have made a lot of money and a lifetime customer, save the horrible CS I always received.

Let me share something that happened to me in one of the local counters.  I am a pro holder and there has been several times that I come in to grab some minor things I need in my most comfortable clothes.  I have seen that for the most part I get ignored by the women.  I networked via FB with one of the artist (men) that tends to help me out most of the time I come in.  One day I came in full makeup (I was just getting out of doing a bridal consultation) and I needed to pick up some stuff, mind you this, I was the only customer there and 4 artists, him and 3 ladies, none of the three ladies approached me.   I asked one of the ladies if she was kind enough to pull some stuff for me, she asked me if I could wait and left to the back.  Art (the artist I connected with on FB) saw me and told me dam girl you clean up well, better than some of these bit**es up in here.  I smiled out of nervousness but I saw the expression on two of the girls and their eyes were as big as can be.  I picked up my items paid; chit chatted a bit and left.  Since then I can honestly say that I have not been ignored by those 2 girls and now, I even receive compliments from them. 

My advice is that eventually you may want to venture out of MAC and in my business 85-90% of my clients are through referral.  Tip to those MAC MUA's and all counter MUA's for that matter, there is always someone watching and what you do or not do can eventually hurt you.  

Well, I ventured back to the MAC counter during the holidays for my Secret Santa and met a super nice employee! I'll go back every now and then and make a purchase when she's on. She was nice, helpful and very down to earth! Otherwise, I'll pass up their counter lol.

I very recently stopped into MAC over our Christmas holidays, totally ragged out. No makeup at all, huge backpack, hair tied back, Doc Martens on etc etc. I basically looked like a broke backpacker. This was in Victoria BC. I did get some strange looks from the girls working there when I walked in asking about limited edition products, but they did serve me right away. Little did they know I've got a massive cosmetics collection at home, including many MAC products, and that I keep up on everything that's coming out in seasonal collections. I just didn't feel like putting on all that much slap during the holiday. They weren't too bad but their looks of 'what the hell' were far from appreciated. I left with a paint pot I had been wanting to try out. I then went to the Clarins counter, where there was nobody. Waited a few minutes & somebody finally came over. I asked about the limited edition face powder with the gold patterned overspray that was released for Christmas & got a look of surprise there as well. She did talk to me for a while, though. Went to the Body Shop after that, in the same shopping center. They were quick to help me, no attitude, showed me everything I asked about. Ive usually found that the higher end the brand, the more snot I get from these employees when I walk in not done up. Although I must admit, I've never really gotten that attitude at Chanel with nothing in my face & dressed very casually. As far as MAC goes - which I just got interested in again in the past year or so - I do the majority of my shopping for their stuff online so I don't have to put up with any bullshit. I've sourced out a good, trustworthy reseller with a great reputation for carrying authentic MAC products. I often get products from her cheaper than at MAC counters, or at least at cost, including limited edition items. The woman who owns the online shop appreciates her customers & doesn't give them a hard time. I even get high end freebies thrown in with orders over $100, like Diorshow mascara. I've never been offered even a sample at MAC after dropping $250+ in one shopping trip. Personally, I'd rather make purchases from small, trustworthy businesses like this than even bother showing my face around a MAC counter.

If it was me, I would call shop's manager as soon as possible
asskicking.gif

At my local MAC, my then-13yo sister and her friends were shopping around, and one got a makeover for buying products. the woman at the counter did almost nothing, and made some passing comment about how she 'didn't know how to work with her face' (my sister's friend is asian).. not only was it borderline racist, why would you deprive an excited tween of a well-deserved makeover?? 

needless to say her parents complained, and all of her friends got makeovers and sample bags as a result :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. I only visited MAC a few times myself, but I got that general unwelcoming/stuck-up vibe many of you seem to share.

I was thinknig of getting a color match today or tomorrow at MAC.... now I am worried. :/

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do they get paid beaucoup $$$$ or something?  They were in a MALL for goodness sake! Probably just barely over minimum wage.  Where's the prestige in that??
.. actually a significant amount more than that, at my old location anyway. just so you know. 

Originally Posted by Yukiko /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was thinknig of getting a color match today or tomorrow at MAC.... now I am worried. :/
Don't be worried! Most MAC girls aren't mean like that, just be nice to them and there's no reason for them not to be nice back. 

When I worked for Benefit, the MAC counter was right next to mine, and I found that the only employees that worked there that were rude were the travellers. I remember this particular one who thought that anyone who wasn't a part of MAC were either idiots or should be shunned. The glares I received from her were the worst! Thankfully she wasn't there for long!

The regular girls who worked there permanently were very nice and helped me out on any questions I had or even just for a general catch-up chat. The counter manager was especially sweet and understood about how awful travellers can be. Must be some freelancers who scored the 'big time' working for MAC through their agency, and think that it's the most awesome thing in the world.

I have had worse experiences at Sephora than I have at MAC, but to be fair, most of the time when I ventured to my MAC store I was wearing makeup, dressed fairly nicely and knew what I wanted--with Sephora, I was browsing, wearing comfortable clothes, and not wearing one spec of make up. The sa at Sephora in my opinion will straight up ignore you when you look like you're just there to browse, but after working in retail for so long I've come to expect it, though it is quite stupid if you are working on a commission. Any person could be a customer, and if not, you could turn them into one if you are good. MAC employees were intimidating to me so much I never bought any of their products until I knew a lot more about make up. I think most of all you have to remember that people in these stores are usually underpaid, over worked individuals who most of the time don't want to be there. When I worked in retail I used to have a mini panic attack before the holiday season and peak hours just because how stressful it can be to deal with people EXPECTING you to be rude to them. Maybe it's because I have the history though that gives me such a thick skin.

You don't think that people that ignore you and act like snobby ice queens as being rude? Their job title is Sales Associates - sales is the first word. I hate it when the bug me too but at least I know that they are just doing their job.  Snobbery and resentment that you are wasting your time is definitely not a good sales strategy.  Noone in business school is going to teach this as a good model for marketing. 
Actually there job title is "makeup artist" they are not employees of MACY either. There are a lease department, employed by MAC Cosmetics.

Nope ! The don't make minimal wage either lol. They start out at 15-19 an hour depending on what part of the country they are located. For someone to have such a HUGE opinion, you don't know a whole lot.

Do they get paid beaucoup $$$$ or something?  They were in a MALL for goodness sake! Probably just barely over minimum wage.  Where's the prestige in that??

I always got the best service at the two MAC counters I went to. I rarely go to MAC nowadays as that means going to the strip and I try to avoid the strip at all costs LOL. My worst experiences were at Lancome and Bobbi Brown. I was ignored at both and was prepared to plunk down quite a bit of money both times. Each time I made sure to write to the company, noting the date, time, store name and location. (both were in the same store actually) I actually had my best shopping experience at MAC, I'd planned on not actually getting anything and wound up spending quite a bit because of how helpful and friendly the service was.

Back