Sample Society: August 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Dots /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Would it be sad to say it's starting to work? I am thinking about ordering that color...I'm easily drawn to milkshake pink/goldish shimmer combos.
smile.gif
If you don't want to shell out $18 for a DL polish, I highly suggest checking out the China Glaze New Bohemian collection.  As far as my eye can tell, CG's Swanky Silk is a dupe for DL's Sugar Daddy, the gold/pink duochrome.  There are six shades in the CG collection, and three of them are basically dupes for the DL Mirrored Chrome collection, aka the collection that Private Dancer came from (CG's No Plain Jane is might as well be DL Private Dancer, and as a side note, Nicole by OPI has a Target exclusive called Iris My Case that is also a dupe to my eyes).  With my Sally card and a 15% discount that showed up on a recent flyer, I picked up all six CG NB shades for something like $32.  Even cheaper than Zoya or OPI.

To my eyes, where Lippmann excels is in her glitters. That said, the dupes of which I'm personally aware are:

Revlon WHIMSICAL dupes DL UP IN THE AIR

Claire's CANDY SHOP dupes DL CANDY SHOP

A mixture of Milani GEMS with a deep purple cream would dupe DL LET'S GO CRAZY (which is, I believe, a Nordstrom exclusive)

Urban Outfitters has a dupe for MERMAID'S DREAM

I'm honestly disappointed with the DL polish. For $18 I could get two OPIs. The consistency seemed very thin to me and it started chipping within a day even with Seche Vite on top. I definitely wouldn't pay almost $20 for the polish. It's a somewhat generic color as well. It was a great addition to the box and I'm glad I got to sample it to know that I most likely will not be purchasing it. 

If you don't want to shell out $18 for a DL polish, I highly suggest checking out the China Glaze New Bohemian collection.  As far as my eye can tell, CG's Swanky Silk is a dupe for DL's Sugar Daddy, the gold/pink duochrome.  There are six shades in the CG collection, and three of them are basically dupes for the DL Mirrored Chrome collection, aka the collection that Private Dancer came from (CG's No Plain Jane is might as well be DL Private Dancer, and as a side note, Nicole by OPI has a Target exclusive called Iris My Case that is also a dupe to my eyes).  With my Sally card and a 15% discount that showed up on a recent flyer, I picked up all six CG NB shades for something like $32.  Even cheaper than Zoya or OPI.
Ooh thanks for the info. I looked up the swatches online after seeing the colors online and trying to decide if it would look good on my nails. Did you like the shade in person? The main thing I'm drawn to with the DL are the glitters...they are gorgeous. Now, I am trying to be on a low buy. I know some people showed a few of the Urban Outfitters polishes as dupes for them. I wonder if there is a big diff in the formula? I will definitely check out the China Glaze Collection. I may pick up a few of the glitters when some of the stores have F&F if they are not excluded.

Originally Posted by Dots /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ooh thanks for the info. I looked up the swatches online after seeing the colors online and trying to decide if it would look good on my nails. Did you like the shade in person? The main thing I'm drawn to with the DL are the glitters...they are gorgeous. Now, I am trying to be on a low buy. I know some people showed a few of the Urban Outfitters polishes as dupes for them. I wonder if there is a big diff in the formula? I will definitely check out the China Glaze Collection.

I may pick up a few of the glitters when some of the stores have F&F if they are not excluded.
I absolutely love Swanky Silk.  The weird thing is that I normally stay far, far away from champagne-y colors and pinks, but I bought this one because I couldn't bear to only buy part of the collection.  Then I put it on Wednesday, and the only reason I took it off Saturday was because I was going to Astoria, home of _The Goonies_, and I wanted to wear the gold/green duochrome in honor of One-Eyed Willie's gold.  Normally, I change colors every day, so wearing something two days in a row is a sign of head-over-heels for me.

As for DL glitters, I cannot recommend Across the Universe highly enough.  I have had more than a couple of people grab and tilt my hands so they could get a better look.  It's like mermaid scales scattered in the depths of inky blue-black water.  

(Um, I'm a hardcore nail polish addict currently trying to decide what color to go with for tomorrow.  Whatever it is will be changed tomorrow night for super fun sparkly nails for Tuesday because that's my heaviest day at work, and I always do super fun sparkly nails so I can look at my fingers for a burst of happiness when the stress gets a little too much.  Your interest may vary.)

I absolutely love Swanky Silk.  The weird thing is that I normally stay far, far away from champagne-y colors and pinks, but I bought this one because I couldn't bear to only buy part of the collection.  Then I put it on Wednesday, and the only reason I took it off Saturday was because I was going to Astoria, home of _The Goonies_, and I wanted to wear the gold/green duochrome in honor of One-Eyed Willie's gold.  Normally, I change colors every day, so wearing something two days in a row is a sign of head-over-heels for me. As for DL glitters, I cannot recommend Across the Universe highly enough.  I have had more than a couple of people grab and tilt my hands so they could get a better look.  It's like mermaid scales scattered in the depths of inky blue-black water.   (Um, I'm a hardcore nail polish addict currently trying to decide what color to go with for tomorrow.  Whatever it is will be changed tomorrow night for super fun sparkly nails for Tuesday because that's my heaviest day at work, and I always do super fun sparkly nails so I can look at my fingers for a burst of happiness when the stress gets a little too much.  Your interest may vary.)
"Your interest may vary"...this made me chuckle. Mine don't vary...I'm a glitter nut. I joined the low buy/no buy group this evening but I may cave for some glitters only. I don't remember the names of all the DL glitters but I fell in love looking at a few of them. I thought about using my $15 code cus it wpuld almost be like the buy two get one free. Tonight, I painted my nails after a few weeks. I don't generally go for purples but I really liked the Pantone Universe at Sephora in the Violet Quartz so ended up getting it. It's this really nice plumish color with a goldish tone. Looks really pretty on...I love jewel tones and glitter. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As for DL glitters, I cannot recommend Across the Universe highly enough.  I have had more than a couple of people grab and tilt my hands so they could get a better look.  It's like mermaid scales scattered in the depths of inky blue-black water.  
I am not at all a polish person...I generally keep my toenails painted because I just feel they look strange bare (lol) but I work with my hands, so polish always chips within hours, and then I drive myself nuts until it's all chipped off. So I am never super excited to get polishes in subs, they're always just a "well, that's nice" thing. 

But dang, Across the Universe is the first polish I have ever, EVER, lusted over. I've come THISCLOSE to buying it so many times, but I stop myself because of the cost, and I know how polishes end up working out for me...use them a few times, then they sit in my drawer until they get too old to use. But it's abso-freakin'-lutely stunning. I may break down and buy it, yet.

Originally Posted by SimplyChelle xX /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah Im in the same boat! I could only stand to use it once although i did like how my face felt also!!!! Im really super sensitive to smells so unless it smells good to me or has no scent at all i cant use it! (Unless it was like a million dollar product! haha) I will go to all costs not to use porta pottys either but whatever the scent, it reminds me of one! HaHa I hope i dont sound crazy!!!
Ah - Looking at the ingredient list, and picking through my brain, I came up with the scent combination of artificial concord grape, and witch hazel...

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I absolutely love Swanky Silk.  The weird thing is that I normally stay far, far away from champagne-y colors and pinks, but I bought this one because I couldn't bear to only buy part of the collection.  Then I put it on Wednesday, and the only reason I took it off Saturday was because I was going to Astoria, home of _The Goonies_, and I wanted to wear the gold/green duochrome in honor of One-Eyed Willie's gold.  Normally, I change colors every day, so wearing something two days in a row is a sign of head-over-heels for me.

(Um, I'm a hardcore nail polish addict currently trying to decide what color to go with for tomorrow.  Whatever it is will be changed tomorrow night for super fun sparkly nails for Tuesday because that's my heaviest day at work, and I always do super fun sparkly nails so I can look at my fingers for a burst of happiness when the stress gets a little too much.  Your interest may vary.)
Oh my gosh!!  I love love love that you wore a special color nail polish to go to Astoria!!!  I have ALWAYS wanted to go there...always great to find a fellow "Goonie"!! 
wink.gif

I used the Jane Iredale Mascara today and at first eyelash (lol) the formula seemed a bit dry but when I was done putting it on, I really did like it. It wasn't clumpy and just accentuated the natural lashes, a pleasant surprise. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm honestly disappointed with the DL polish. For $18 I could get two OPIs. The consistency seemed very thin to me and it started chipping within a day even with Seche Vite on top.
I did a mani with it last Wed. with OPI Chipskip as a base, 2 coats of DL and OPI topcoat. It lasted great until yesterday when I tried someone's Seche Vite on top. The polish shrunk down and there were white edges within an hour. I read reviews of SV on Amazon and many people complained about the shrinkage and chipping. I  think Seche Vite may be great for drying polish but I would never buy it since I want my manis to last. I thought the DL had maybe the best application I've seen in a polish. I'm going to use my coupon to try another color from Beauty Bar for (almost) free. You can buy a cheap Color Club or something but with the extra coats needed and the longevity, I don't know if you're ahead in the long run.

I finally got to trying the DL polish and I didnt like the color at first but the more I looked at it, the more I liked it. I agree with the application being the best (better than Essie, Zoya, ColorClub) and it is also very fast drying which I love. I want to try more colors now!

Originally Posted by cheetahchirps /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I did a mani with it last Wed. with OPI Chipskip as a base, 2 coats of DL and OPI topcoat. It lasted great until yesterday when I tried someone's Seche Vite on top. The polish shrunk down and there were white edges within an hour. I read reviews of SV on Amazon and many people complained about the shrinkage and chipping. I  think Seche Vite may be great for drying polish but I would never buy it since I want my manis to last. I thought the DL had maybe the best application I've seen in a polish. I'm going to use my coupon to try another color from Beauty Bar for (almost) free. You can buy a cheap Color Club or something but with the extra coats needed and the longevity, I don't know if you're ahead in the long run.
I don't recommend using Seche Vite over other top coats, once the original polish has dried too much, or the second day. You have to do your base, your regular polish and then I recommend using it within the first 10 minutes of your last coat for best results. Use it while it is dry but not set. I highly recommend using it with a Seche Base for best results. I paint up around the front tip to fix the shrinkage problem and my manicures generally last at least a week, occasionally up to 2 weeks without chipping. I have tried a lot of other top coats but I've haven't found one that is a fast or shiny as Seche Vite.

I love Seche Vite...but there are polishes it 'hates' and causes shrinkage on...like Zoya. When I use Zoya, I use the Zoya Armor top coat. I haven't tried any DL's, I traded mine, it could be another polish that SV doesn't mix well with. But it is a damned good top coat otherwise! 

It causes shrinkage on all polishes that I have, which is why I paint the tips so when it shrinks I don't look like I have instant tipwear.

I also find that it helps to let the polish completely dry first before adding the SV, the polish underneath tends to shrink as it dries. China Glaze doesn't shrink at all for me, I love CG colors too!

Hmmm if I let mine completely dry it chips like crazy by the next day or two. I couldn't figure out why a couple of years ago so I poked Scrangie and she is the one who gave me the tip to use it while it is fresh and not completely dry. I have a ton of CG and I adore them but most of them shrink on me as well. Problem solved by painting the ends. I imagine body chemistry is also a large factor in how chemicals react to each person differently.

Seche Vite is meant to be applied over wet polish. If your polish is too dry, you will have shrinkage. It is not meant for dry polish at alll. 

Originally Posted by murflegirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Seche Vite is meant to be applied over wet polish. If your polish is too dry, you will have shrinkage. It is not meant for dry polish at alll. 
I HATE Seche Vite
madno.gif
 I've tried it every which way and it causes horrible shrinkage. I don't think a top coat should have that type of stipulation in order for it to work. This is a prodcut, IMO, that is highly overated. Not to mention, it contains chemicals which in general I would avoid (and I'm not that picky or crunchy).

I'm a fan of CND Super Shiney or Essie 3 way Glaze (which is not a fast dry). 

Originally Posted by MakeupGalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I HATE Seche Vite
madno.gif
 I've tried it every which way and it causes horrible shrinkage. I don't think a top coat should have that type of stipulation in order for it to work. This is a prodcut, IMO, that is highly overated. Not to mention, it contains chemicals which in general I would avoid (and I'm not that picky or crunchy).

I'm a fan of CND Super Shiney or Essie 3 way Glaze (which is not a fast dry). 
I love Seche Vite for the shine. After thinning mine with Seche Restore, it works perfectly for me.

But I do agree, it's outrageously finicky.

A great easy-to-find quick dry topcoat is the Sally Hansen Insta-Dri in the red bottle, or my favorite, the Sally Hansen Diamond Flash.

Poshe is also another great quick dry topcoat and it doesn't cause the shrinkage that Seche does. Can be found at Sally's.

Seche and I have a love-hate relationship at best.

Back