Sample Society: August 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by onthecontrary /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I cancelled SS in April because I just wasn't loving all of the skincare samples. There was a little survey that popped up after canceling, so I filled it out and didn't think anything of it. Yesterday I got a call from Beauty Bar, and they said they were sending me a recent box (hopefully this month's, I really like the items!) free of charge as a thank you for the feedback. I even got a shipping confirmation today! Talk about customer service. Has anyone else has this happen?
That's wonderful -- and awesome for you!  Hopefully you'll like the "thank you" box -- I love good customer service stories :)

Just my thoughts:

Am I the only one who thinks the Arcona Cranberry toner smells like a porta potty / public bathroom cheap air freshener? I dont know but i cant stand the smell! Not sure if anyone else feels the same! hahaha

I did my nails with the Lippman polish the other day and loved it. Although it does look a bit more Duo chromed in the bottle, it is still very pretty on the nails and I am glad to finally own a DL polish! ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Im trading the mask since I just used my BirchBox points to buy a full size Ahava mud mask which I LOVE! Im trying to cut back on skincare samples that I dont absolutely need and will use and are simlare, etc.

I finished up the phyto oil already.  My hair must have needed a lot more than most people because I only got 3 uses out of it. I think it worked, although I am not sure If it was the oil that did it or my new conditioner! I just dont see how a hair oil that goes on before you wash your hair would make a difference since it is being washed out afterwards. Hmmmm

The mascara is just okay in my book. I will keep it for travel/just because but it was nothing special to me.

I havent used the sample vitamin E moisturizer yet but will probably try it tonight!

Yay! UPS man finally delivered my package and it's not my regular guy...so he didn't get why I was so excited, with a yapping little dog in my arms lol. I am loving every single thing in this box! I think I'll be using it all and this was like a dream box for me this month. Might be my fave box I've received so far from all my subs. I love moisturizer and am a skin nut, definitely love hair oils/products, am in the process of reacquainting myself with toner, and have mascara as one of my obsessions. 

For the cranberry toner, it smells like watered down juice to me..not bad, but a little something else, so I see where the potty thing comes in lol. I got the moisturizer, which is great because I've got a few masks already I'm trying to get through.

Am I the only one who thinks the Arcona Cranberry toner smells like a porta potty / public bathroom cheap air freshener? I dont know but i cant stand the smell! Not sure if anyone else feels the same!
I can't identify exactly what it is that the smell reminds me of (I'd pee by the side of the road before I'd use a porta potty ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ), but I do find it to be unpleasant. It's unfortunate, because I really like how it made my skin feel, the two times I held my nose and tried it!

Originally Posted by StillPooh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't identify exactly what it is that the smell reminds me of (I'd pee by the side of the road before I'd use a porta potty
wink.gif
), but I do find it to be unpleasant. It's unfortunate, because I really like how it made my skin feel, the two times I held my nose and tried it!
Yeah Im in the same boat! I could only stand to use it once although i did like how my face felt also!!!! Im really super sensitive to smells so unless it smells good to me or has no scent at all i cant use it! (Unless it was like a million dollar product! haha) I will go to all costs not to use porta pottys either but whatever the scent, it reminds me of one! HaHa I hope i dont sound crazy!!!

I may be the only one but I actually like how it smells.

anyone who doesnt want theirs... I would be willing to take it off your hands!
wink.gif

Originally Posted by onthecontrary /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I cancelled SS in April because I just wasn't loving all of the skincare samples. There was a little survey that popped up after canceling, so I filled it out and didn't think anything of it. Yesterday I got a call from Beauty Bar, and they said they were sending me a recent box (hopefully this month's, I really like the items!) free of charge as a thank you for the feedback. I even got a shipping confirmation today! Talk about customer service. Has anyone else has this happen?
This happened to me too, I canceled a LOOOONG time ago. I got the call/voicemail yesterday. I was confused but when I got the confirmation email today I was pleasantly surprised. I bet we''re getting this month's box which includes DL polish. I've never owned one of those polishes so I'm excited!

This question might have been answered somewhere else on the forum but I couldn't find it, sorry! This month's box looks awesome and I'm thinking about signing up for Sample Society (after the GB fail..), but would I get the August box then or the September one? I'm assuming it would be September but just in case :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. Thanks!

This question might have been answered somewhere else on the forum but I couldn't find it, sorry! This month's box looks awesome and I'm thinking about signing up for Sample Society (after the GB fail..), but would I get the August box then or the September one? I'm assuming it would be September but just in case :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. Thanks!
September, only if there isnt a waitlist

Did everyone get the DL in Private Dancer or were there other colors sent out, too? They showed the DL on a FB post today and am pretty sure it was Sugar Daddy, it looks stunning...like a pinkish gold. Anyone seen it in person by chance?

Originally Posted by Dots /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did everyone get the DL in Private Dancer or were there other colors sent out, too? They showed the DL on a FB post today and am pretty sure it was Sugar Daddy, it looks stunning...like a pinkish gold. Anyone seen it in person by chance?
Everyone got PD...they are tempting us with the $15 off code to get more colors lol

Everyone got PD...they are tempting us with the $15 off code to get more colors lol
Would it be sad to say it's starting to work? I am thinking about ordering that color...I'm easily drawn to milkshake pink/goldish shimmer combos. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Would it be sad to say it's starting to work? I am thinking about ordering that color...I'm easily drawn to milkshake pink/goldish shimmer combos. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Please post pictures if u get it!

This was my first box and I'm sold. My polish came with a broken brush and they sent a new one out immediately. That kind of customer service is so great. The phyto was great. If anyone isn't feeling theirs, let me know. I think the toner smells like a men's bathroom. Almost a urinal cake smell. It's a shame because it feels great.

This was my first box and I'm sold. My polish came with a broken brush and they sent a new one out immediately. That kind of customer service is so great. The phyto was great. If anyone isn't feeling theirs, let me know. I think the toner smells like a men's bathroom. Almost a urinal cake smell. It's a shame because it feels great.

I am so glad I got to sample the cranberry toner. I was actually going to buy this full sized but I can smell my face for an hour after application. I don't find it to be a bad smell, but I'd rather not be forced to smell it. Btw, the vitamin e cream bonus sample was very nice. I really liked how it felt on my face and I'm considering adding a vitamin e product to my skin care regimen. The entire box was so well curated. I think they did an amazing job of covering: Skin care: facial wash, toner, vitamin e bonus sample Nails: nail polish Make up: mascara Hair: phytonectar oil I wish all subscription boxes were this well balanced! Everything except the vitamin e cream was deluxe, I'll get five or six uses from the hair oil, six uses from the toner (could be more if my cotton balls were smaller), about ten uses or more from the facial cleanser, a week or so from the mascara, and several manicures from the full sized nail polish.

Did my pedi yesterday with the DL Private Dancer. Purple is my favorite color, and this one is very pretty. But this is my first experience with this brand, and I am not seeing any reason why it should retail for twice the price of OPI and Zoya.

Originally Posted by murflegirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you try one coat of it over black, too, it will bring out the duochrome. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm sure you'll fetch something on ebay for it for sure!
took your suggestion and did one coat of Private Dancer over one coat of black. the formula of the black was horrible but i'm happy with the results.  but as noted above, i don't know that this is worth $18 when Zoya is half the price and just as amazing.

Back