Sample Society August 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I quite enjoyed the Oribe texturizing product! I used it in dry hair today and only used 1 dollop for my mega long hair. Holy texture batman! I do want to give it a try after towel dried hair to see what happens too. 

I loved last months box, but this one is so so to me. I'll probably only use the Too Faced Melted (color should work well for me) and the Kate Sommerville oil.

I personally am not a fan of the color of the Ciate and I have heard people say the Oribe gives their hair volume which is something I try to avoid since I have thick hair with a little too much volume already.

I'm going to remain subbed since last month was such a winner, I want to try at least another box or 2.

my box just arrived and I am so excited to play with everything!! I am a little iffy on the melted because the color may be totally wrong for me but I want to test it anyway!!

I really like the Melted sample! On my lips it turns out to be a pinkish nude, which wears better on me than some of the beige-ish or more earthy tones out there. I just have to remember that it spreads like crazy, so only the tiniest amount suffices.

I love this sub so much now! I got my box yesterday. I was surprised what the Melted gloss looks like on the applicator vs. the lips. So different! The nail polish isn't my favorite color, but I love Ciate so I'm happy they are sending the brand. Yay for the Oribe and Yay for the mascara. Usually when I get mascara samples the brush is all messed up and the product is all clumped up and gross. This one was not so. I haven't tried the oil yet, but I'm looking forward to it!

These past two months have looked really nice. I think I am going to ditch Beauty Box 5 and pick this sub up again.

I was just perusing the site to see if I wanted to spend my $10 credit on anything and came across their value sets. They have some pretty good deals, especially with the $10 off! The Vanilla Body Care and Ibiza Club Night sets were calling to me. I ended up getting a Library of Flowers shower gel and NEST Pumpkin Chai candle.

I really want that Library of Flowers bubble bath from the Vanilla Body Care set. It would look SO pretty sitting on my guest bathroom counter!

Well, crap.  I think I might be in love with Melted.  I have one of the LA Colors version of this (I had to get it because the shade's name is Bombshell, and I have a huge bombshell tattoo on the back of one calf), and I have a bunch of OCC lip tars, but I like Melted better.  At least better than the LA Colors version.  On the up side, their color range is limited, and I have so many berries and hot pinks that I've actually become bored with them, so I think I just want Melted Marshmallow (depending on what it looks like when I swatch it), and that will be that. And I don't even want it now.  I want it for the winter.

Finally picked up my box from UPS today.

I'm actually really disappointed. I've been wanting to try the Too Faced melted for so long, and I was soso excited to get it...and then when I opened the box I realized this color will not suit me...at all. I did really really like the booklet though. It is actually quite handy.
You know, I actually really liked the color, but hated the formula. It smelled like chemicals, made my lips look really dry, and accentuated all lip lines. I must be the only one in the world who didn't like the Melteds :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

You know, I actually really liked the color, but hated the formula. It smelled like chemicals, made my lips look really dry, and accentuated all lip lines. I must be the only one in the world who didn't like the Melteds :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Nope.  Hate it.  Reminds me of the old Covergirl Outlast liquid that came with the balm for over it so the dryness doesn't drive you mad (MAD, I TELL YOU!) - but with Melted they deny you even the balm.

Well, crap.  I think I might be in love with Melted.  I have one of the LA Colors version of this (I had to get it because the shade's name is Bombshell, and I have a huge bombshell tattoo on the back of one calf), and I have a bunch of OCC lip tars, but I like Melted better.  At least better than the LA Colors version.  On the up side, their color range is limited, and I have so many berries and hot pinks that I've actually become bored with them, so I think I just want Melted Marshmallow (depending on what it looks like when I swatch it), and that will be that. And I don't even want it now.  I want it for the winter.

Nope.  Hate it.  Reminds me of the old Covergirl Outlast liquid that came with the balm for over it so the dryness doesn't drive you mad (MAD, I TELL YOU!) - but with Melted they deny you even the balm.
I'm still trying to make up my mind about Melted, but I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't like the OCC lip tars. I bought a mini four pack from Sephora to try them. They were just too thin and runny for me. Plus they wouldn't stay on the lips but smeared everywhere. Should've sent them back, but didn't. They did come in handy for Halloween though with that bright red mini I have, lol!

Yikes, I remember that abomination! Made my lips Sahara desert dry.

I'm torn on the melted, I love the color and matte-texture, but hate that it settled into my lip lines and doesn't last long.

I just picked up my box and have to say. . I absolutely love the revamped Allure/Sample Society!  

I've only tried the Melted so far and 1.) the color doesn't work for me and 2.) it's a dry formula that settled into my lips and make them look pruney.    HOWEVER!  I'm thrilled to have the chance to try this expensive lip product a few times before plunking down over $20 only to find it's not for me. The Melted lipsticks have been tempting me for weeks now but thanks to SS, I can just keep on walking past the display. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />   I'll give it to a friend and maybe they'll have better success with it. 

Everything else will be fun to try out as well.

I've had so/so luck with Jane Iredale (mostly JI products are on the 'meh' scale for me, my favorite thing is the lemongrass SPF lip moisturizer I got in some box ages ago).

I love the Exfolikate from Kate Somerville, so I have high hopes for the oil.   

The Ciate will be a punchy and fun pedi color - perfect for these last few weeks of summer. 

Oribe - love the dry shampoo and feeling optimistic about the beach wave mousse.  

One of my favorite changes with the revamping is the descriptions that accompany each product in that little magazine. I used to just toss the magazine, it used to be a mag of basic tips that didn't relate at all to the products we received.  In the new mag, I felt like each description was *very* helpful and the reviews unbiased.   I'm sure Allure is getting the product at a big discount or maybe even free, so it's great to see the editors are writing objectively about their experience with each sample.   The tips offered are great and I highly recommend everyone read through the little magazine before using their samples. 

Lawd have mercy, the applicator on the Melted!!!  Who on Earth thought that was a good idea?

Grant you, I have texture issues, but it's so gross feeling, like applying in with a chalkboard eraser or something. Is this a common type, and if so can someone list the other brands that have them so I don't waste my money?

And the color, omg, it's like My Lips But Worse. My husband took one look at me and asked me where my upper lip went! It totally makes my upper lip disappear.

I have very thin lips anyway, and pale pinky toned skin, and I swear to you, I look like a... I don't even know what I look like, actually. It's hysterical. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I quite enjoyed the Oribe texturizing product! I used it in dry hair today and only used 1 dollop for my mega long hair. Holy texture batman! I do want to give it a try after towel dried hair to see what happens too. 
I just tried it and used a bit too much (two blobs) on my fine hair.  Love the way it smells though and I can tell that if I use a bit less, it'll be perfect and give a ton of texture.  Glad you had success with it! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

so I tested the melted, and I LOVE the color, but I hate the way it looks.  I have dry lips to begin with so adding a chalky dry color makes my lips look like I am parched beyond repair! I even did a lip scrub and tested again, and well I need a gloss over top to not look like I've been hanging out in the Sahara!

Back