Sample Society August 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My box arrived earlier today.  Of the 5 brands, I've only tried Too Faced.  Really excited to try everything else!  Orange is not a color I care for, but I figure I can use this bottle for October/Halloween/Fall.  I think i'll layer it under my orange & black glitter polish I usually wear around Halloween. 

Got my box, in total love with the mascara and melted peony, no duds really this month.

ETA: I'm not a sports fan, except for the AL vs Auburn game, Aurburn for me baby, so the orange will work with a navy for football nails. In Oct. I'll use the orange with black for Jack o' Latern nails.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't call dropping subs that give more full size items (although on this month's Blush spoilers only one item is listed as full size) for one that might give out less full size items a "wrong move". Personally, I think whether or not the products/brands are ones I want to try out is more important than getting all full size items. I actually just canceled my Blush Mystery Box the other day and then subbed for this one for the first time. The Blush box was a good value and I've used some of the products I got from there, but I never got excited about it. 
I actually prefer deluxe-sample sizes for makeup, because I would never use up all the products I have if they were all full size! Not only that, but deluxe samples = less purse clutter. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I've given up Ipsy and haven't missed it...I'm lurking here, waiting to subscribe. If the too faced had been a better color (for me) I would have joined this month. I'm quite happy with the selections and brands they are sending. 

I actually prefer deluxe-sample sizes for makeup, because I would never use up all the products I have if they were all full size! Not only that, but deluxe samples = less purse clutter. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I almost NEED to sample first. My poor, allergic Louie is so sensitive that my makeup can break him out with a little kiss on the cheek. I wouldn't wear minerals for years after I tried Maybelline's version when we were dating, and his eczema went batcrap crazy on him. He doesn't complain about the money I spend on sub boxes because he encourages makeup as a part of decent grooming, and because he's grateful that I don't spend half my check on some product that will only tear his skin up. (Although he doesn't trust Ipsy after smelling the rancid mascara in June.)

You know, I really didn't think the nail polish was all that orange...more of a very bright coral.  There is some pink in it and it is such a fun summer color for toes!  I just happen to have a true orange on my nails right now (picked out by my 2 year old son who loves orange) and it really showed more of a pink tone next to that.  Anyway, I love the box, the products are a good fit for me personally!  I hope next month is better for those of you who didn't love this months box!

Need Help- I think I'm missing something. I followed the directions for the oribe- applied to dry hair & wow , I have volume but looks like animals will want to nest in my hair!!! I Luv texture products & was so excited to try this product but unfortunately my hair is hiding in a top knot because of it. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. I'm open to any & all suggestions on how to use this product

I think I'm the only person happy with the orange. I'm super into neons & playing with colors. For me, it's a summer thing- come fall & ill be back to my blacks, blood reds, deep coppers, plums , etc. For the next month, im going to enjoy my bright, fun & happy colors .. Summer is too short in metro detroit!
I super happy to be receiving a neon orange polish (although, I haven't seen it in person yet), but acquiring a neon has been on my wish list for several months now.

I received my box today...or actually, I received two boxes. I called them to ask if I had been double charged, and they said that there was an error this month where some subscribers will receive two boxes instead of one. They offered to let me keep it or send it back, but I would rather just gift it than stand in line at the post office. Anyway, keep your eyes peeled for a second box!

Argh, mine has been out for delivery all day! It is 6:30 p.m.! UPS, where are you? :angry: I am not a patient person, to say the least, LOL.

Well, I've discovered I hate Melted.  I mean really really hate it.  I hate the feel and the look.  I even hate the idea of everything the little book tells me I should love about it (what did they say - chalky pink?!). 

Which is fantastic!  I'm so glad to find out from one of five items in this inexpensive little box that I don't ever want to spend an outrageous amount of money to buy this product - and I'm such a sucker for lip products I probably would have had I not tried it here.

So actually I'm very happy it was in the box!

I got my box and I LOVE it!!!! This is the first time I've gotten an Allure/Sample Society box since last October. Peony isn't the best color for me, but with a darker lip liner it works well. I haven't tried the Oribe yet so no advice on that. I'm really pleased with the selection of products. This was a VERY good first impression. I think I'll keep the sub next month.

Well, I've discovered I hate Melted.  I mean really really hate it.  I hate the feel and the look.  I even hate the idea of everything the little book tells me I should love about it (what did they say - chalky pink?!). 

Which is fantastic!  I'm so glad to find out from one of five items in this inexpensive little box that I don't ever want to spend an outrageous amount of money to buy this product - and I'm such a sucker for lip products I probably would have had I not tried it here.

LOL "chalky pink" just reminds me of pepto-bismol XD 

So the thing I thought I would hate, I loved. And the thing I thought I would love, I hated. Always fun when that happens.

I'm very lip-product picky. There are very few things that can go on my lips without driving me insane. So I'm still in shock that I love the way the Melted felt and pleased that I loved the color as well. I'm super excited about this! Totally wearing it tomorrow.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Ciate polish is something I've wanted to try for awhile, and I've considered trading for it, but hadn't gotten around to it. I was thrilled when a fun neon orange from this brand was in our box. I put it on my toes tonight though, and I hate the polish formula. It is so incredibly thin and just, dull. When I removed my previous polish, there was still some silvery leftover residue in places, and even after 4 coats of the Ciate, you can still see it. Blah. 

So the thing I thought I would hate, I loved. And the thing I thought I would love, I hated. Always fun when that happens.

I'm very lip-product picky. There are very few things that can go on my lips without driving me insane. So I'm still in shock that I love the way the Melted felt and pleased that I loved the color as well. I'm super excited about this! Totally wearing it tomorrow.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Ciate polish is something I've wanted to try for awhile, and I've considered trading for it, but hadn't gotten around to it. I was thrilled when a fun neon orange from this brand was in our box. I put it on my toes tonight though, and I hate the polish formula. It is so incredibly thin and just, dull. When I removed my previous polish, there was still some silvery leftover residue in places, and even after 4 coats of the Ciate, you can still see it. Blah. 
YES!!!!! I do not like the formula at all. The dull finish is just not my thing. 

Ha ha, its crazy how one product can have such different reactions. I think "chalky pink" is a perfect description (and yeah, it totally makes me think of Pepto :lol: ) but that is one of the things I like about the Melted formula - that the finish is different from anything else I have in my collection.

Gosh, I wish they smelled different, though. I can not stand the smell of them.

Ha ha, its crazy how one product can have such different reactions. I think "chalky pink" is a perfect description (and yeah, it totally makes me think of Pepto :lol: ) but that is one of the things I like about the Melted formula - that the finish is different from anything else I have in my collection.

Gosh, I wish they smelled different, though. I can not stand the smell of them.
I didn't notice a smell at all, but I agree that I really like the uniqueness of the product!

@ I would be tickled if I got a second box, having two melted peony and mascaras would make my day! Congrats on your good luck!

My box did arrive, finally, joy! I've unpacked it and fooled with the items, so a couple of thoughts right off the bat.

1. I agree with the poster who said the Ciate had some pink in it, mine looks a little more coral than straight orange, too. I think it is very pretty, and I plan to layer it over a white base, based on the feedback from this thread. Hopefully that will help with the opacity!

2. The Jane Iredale mascara gives a nice, long, fluffy look while still being natural. It is actually a little too natural for my tastes, so I plan to use it as a base under my normal mascara. I'm always looking for lots of length, so that might help!

3. Oribe smells like mousse. :lol: I'm on like, third day hair so I will give it a try when I wash.

The Melted and KS oil won't get used right away so they went in my stash. I liked the box, and I am looking forward to September!

I can't make up my mind about it. The color is ok, but a bit more Barbie pink than I'd expected, which tells me to stay away from Marshmallow for sure. I hate the applicator, but I was expecting that. Not only is it odd in and of itself, but it soaks up sooooo much product. I do like the way it looks when first applied, but it settles into my lines and accentuates all that's wrong with my lips at any given moment. Though, to be honest, I do need to exfoliate them now. Like you, I'm glad I got to give it a try. I will use up the tube before making a definite decision. I do know I don't care for the finish, so I'd always be adding something to make it feel and look more moisturizing on top, which negates their claim to be all in one. But my biggest issue is with the color selection--it is odd. That alone may keep me from buying anymore tubes. But like you, so happy I got to try it!

Back