Sample Society August 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just subscribed to this and was pretty happy about it....until I realized they shipped UPS. This will be my first and last box.
This is actually one of the reasons I have stuck with Sample Society, even for the few months when they were really scraping the bottom of the sample barrel, before _Allure_ stepped in. I have never waited more than two days for any given shipment. Compared to Ipsy, it's like sending a text versus a carrier pigeon.

Louie is so much a Bills fan that Jon Bon Jovi is banned from the house! (in the meantime, I don't get football--to my husband, it makes perfect, logical sense but to me it looks like chaos.) He is Indian, though, and Bengal tigers are A Thing in his culture!
What's the Bills/Bon Jovi problem? I mean, I understand banning a band or musician because they support the wrong team (I felt like I was betraying my beloved Blazers when I listened to the Red Hot Chili Peppers because of their song about the Lakers until I discovered that the lead singer was a regular fixture up here at Blazer games. It turns out his dad lives/lived here, so he would come up to go to games with his dad and became a fan), but I don't know enough about either the Bills or Jon Bon Jovi to know what the problem is.

I'm probably going to go in a wildly different direction with my orange polish: Bright blue. Color theory! Complementary color! EYES MAY BLEED!

I don't think UPS is bad at all. Much faster than FedEx and so much freaking faster than Slowgistics who always take my packages all the way up to Indiana to sit for a few days before bringing them down to Arizona.

I prefer only USPS. Or anything that switches over to them.

Every time UPS leaves a package at my place, it gets stolen. This has happened at least 4 times....one of those packages contained over $100 of stuff...which was just lost. $100 down the drain. The closest UPS place is at least 12 miles from my house and once I get there I have to wait at least an hour because it's always so busy and the people who work there are extremely rude. It's just not an experience I'd like to have on a monthly basis. I'll have to do it tomorrow though.

Every time UPS leaves a package at my place, it gets stolen. This has happened at least 4 times....one of those packages contained over $100 of stuff...which was just lost. $100 down the drain. The closest UPS place is at least 12 miles from my house and once I get there I have to wait at least an hour because it's always so busy and the people who work there are extremely rude. It's just not an experience I'd like to have on a monthly basis. I'll have to do it tomorrow though.
But Sample Society requires a signature to leave the package though, I thought? 

Mine comes to my office, I sign for it.  

Could you have it delivered to another address, like work or something?

That's horrible. You should request signature only delivery, or else ask them to leave where  USPS does? 

But Sample Society requires a signature to leave the package though, I thought? 

Mine comes to my office, I sign for it.  

Could you have it delivered to another address, like work or something?
Sample Society doesn't require a signature, my guy rings the doorbell and leaves it there.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the problem...someone else signed for it- my name, by the way, and then stole my package.

And no, having it delivered at work isn't an option, but it would be really helpful if it was.

That is disgusting. How do you get around the problem with USPS? ( I mean people forging your signature?) 

Sample Society doesn't require a signature, my guy rings the doorbell and leaves it there.
You're right.  My delivery driver is extra careful, too many missing packages on their routes and they can get in trouble.  But they're also punished if they're too slow. 

What's the Bills/Bon Jovi problem? I mean, I understand banning a band or musician because they support the wrong team (I felt like I was betraying my beloved Blazers when I listened to the Red Hot Chili Peppers because of their song about the Lakers until I discovered that the lead singer was a regular fixture up here at Blazer games. It turns out his dad lives/lived here, so he would come up to go to games with his dad and became a fan), but I don't know enough about either the Bills or Jon Bon Jovi to know what the problem is.

I'm probably going to go in a wildly different direction with my orange polish: Bright blue. Color theory! Complementary color! EYES MAY BLEED!
It is widely believed in the area the Bon Jovi's intention is to move the team to Toronto, where there are more corporate clients who will pay bigger money for luxury seats. When the Bills' owner, Ralph Wilson, died several months ago, it was stipulated in his will that whomever buys the team must keep it in or near the Buffalo area--so a move to Niagara Falls would not be technically against the Wilsons' wishes, but Toronto is definitely a no-go. Bon Jovi has Canadian partners who were said to be investigating stadium properties. A campaign started where businesses (mostly bars) put up signs saying their establishments were Bon Jovi-free zones--a guy tried singing "Living on a Prayer" at karaoke last week and got resoundingly booed.

That is disgusting. How do you get around the problem with USPS? ( I mean people forging your signature?) 
Because I have the tiniest mailbox in the history of mailboxes (I live in an apartment) so if it doesn't fit, they just write up a slip and I go pick it up at the PO. Mostly everything I buy online goes through them, including all of my other current beauty subs. I'm on a first name basis with everyone who works there. When I walk in, they just go straight to the back and grab my packages. Not sure if this is a good thing or not.

Because I have the tiniest mailbox in the history of mailboxes (I live in an apartment) so if it doesn't fit, they just write up a slip and I go pick it up at the PO. Mostly everything I buy online goes through them, including all of my other current beauty subs. I'm on a first name basis with everyone who works there. When I walk in, they just go straight to the back and grab my packages. Not sure if this is a good thing or not.
Oh, I see. Been there, done that, but I never had anyone steal my stuff!!! That is beyond pathetic. I'd be reporting all the rude UPS employees at the pick-up place, too. NO excuses whatsoever for that. I have always had extremely helpful and polite UPS peeps,and I think they hold their employees to very high standards, so I'd darn sure let someone know about that. It's causing them to lose your business! And it sounds like you ( like me!) generate lots of business! :lol:

@@meaganola I hope I attach this right! broncos.8.7.jpg

@@Bflopolska Would it? I don't do football. (And as a former Seattleite who lived through the loss of the Sonics, I totally get it now. I know people who are *still* boycotting Starbucks over that.)
I hear you...in 1978 the guy who owned Kentucky Fried Chicken bought the Buffalo Braves basketball team, and ended up getting involved in a deal that moved them to California. All of a sudden KFC's were closing down in the area; Buffalo had effectively boycotted them. It wasn't until the 90's that you saw them opening up here again, and still some old-timers, including Louie, refuse to eat there although the Browns no longer own the chain.

So I was okay with getting the orange polish. I figured it was something I didn't already have at least. It is not as neon as I anticipated and was okay with. It has a more of a coral look. But the finish is awful. Two coats are barely opaque and it is just so dull looking.

So I was okay with getting the orange polish. I figured it was something I didn't already have at least. It is not as neon as I anticipated and was okay with. It has a more of a coral look. But the finish is awful. Two coats are barely opaque and it is just so dull looking.
Brights are notorious for dull finishes, even if they're not straight-up neons. They pretty much require top coat. Also, try a coat or two of white under it. That will help the color pop (and possibly stab your eyes out).

Brights are notorious for dull finishes, even if they're not straight-up neons. They pretty much require top coat. Also, try a coat or two of white under it. That will help the color pop (and possibly stab your eyes out).
Yep my essie I'm addicted is a bright blue but super dull finish.  I didn't use a topcoat to spare my co-workers.  

Back