Sample Society August 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been so happy with Sample Society the last few months...until my August box arrived. Does anyone feel the same or is it just me?

I honestly didn't think ANY company would even consider creating a nail color that resembled road cone orange. I wouldn't give it to a child. And it's TINY. Along with the rest of the samples, except for the spoiler.

Disappointing this month, Sample Society.

I got my box today as well.  No variations.  I tried the Oribe and at first I didn't think I liked it (didn't seem to do much and felt sticky) but after playing with my hair for a few minutes scrunching etc it looked much fuller and the stickiness dried.  You can tell there is something in your hair but it's not crunchy.  It actually does feel more like when you go to the beach and have actual salt water in your hair....if this all makes any sense :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've been so happy with Sample Society the last few months...until my August box arrived. Does anyone feel the same or is it just me?

I honestly didn't think ANY company would even consider creating a nail color that resembled road cone orange. I wouldn't give it to a child. And it's TINY. Along with the rest of the samples, except for the spoiler.

Jane Iredale samples are always tiny but somehow seem to last longer than you'd expect. 

The Melted is a good size I think and possibly the oil because it says to only use 1-2 drops (although I doubt that's all it takes). 

I agree on the polish...haven't met an orange I like and this is the third I've gotten this summer.  I really wish I could get a Ciate polish in a color I'll actually wear.  But I am a sucker for nail polish minis....I've never used an entire bottle of any polish so they don't bother me.

Actually, I'm glad someone else said it because I felt like I was the only one. I am happy for August just because of the Too Faced Melted. I haven't gotten SS in ages and I signed up just for that. But the Ciate is a big let down. Like you, I think the color stinks! As soon as I got my tracking #, I unsubbed. I'm going to wait for spoilers to even consider resubbing. I know most people are super happy, and I understand how they see improvement, but that orange color has me seeing red. And it turned into the red of a stop sign, as in stop this sub, please!

Got my box today.

I don't see myself using the polish for anything but pedicures. But orange and neon are trendy this summer (whatever we may think of the polish personally), so IMO, it fits with a more on-trend approach to the box. I think the size is also OK for a sample box. I'm pleased with the box overall.

I'm not at all disappointed (I'm a huge Too Faced fan and stoked to be able to try Melted before committing to a full size!) but I do have to say I LOATHE the polish! Or more correctly, I loathe the the color. I have never tried Ciate but I understand it's pretty good--but omiGAHD that men-at-work orange!!! I'll put it on my toes just to have something on them, and knowing they'll be covered a lot of the time. Nothing against Sample Society or Ciate, but I do not like orange on general principle. I have yet to find a shade that looks good on me.

I think I'm the only person happy with the orange. I'm super into neons & playing with colors. For me, it's a summer thing- come fall & ill be back to my blacks, blood reds, deep coppers, plums , etc. For the next month, im going to enjoy my bright, fun & happy colors .. Summer is too short in metro detroit!

I'm in the minority on this but I'm loving this box. Mine is scheduled to show up tomorrow so I'm going to hold off on my pedi till I get the polish in my hands.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the polish too, I think once you try it you may not think it's so neon. But it probably really depends on skin tone.

I knew that polish was going to be fugly when I saw the spoiler. Oh well, at least I was forewarned. Orange and yellow ( either color) just look like the nails of some old great granny from the hills who dipped snuff. Shudder.

Last month's brown should go really nicely with this month's orange.Ha ha. I jest.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the polish, too. I love neons, and neon orange ranks third in my book, after yellow and pink. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I am however, sad, because I though my tracking info said I'd get my box today, but it will actually be Friday (I thought today was the 8th for some reason). Ahh, I can barely wait! Two more days... two more days... :hehe:

I love the polish too, I think once you try it you may not think it's so neon. But it probably really depends on skin tone.
Exactly! I love my box on the whole and what's in it; it's only that, neon or not, orange really doesn't look good on my cool-toned, pale complexion!

I just subscribed to this and was pretty happy about it....until I realized they shipped UPS. This will be my first and last box.

BEST EMAIL EVER!!!

Hi there,
Thanks for joining Sample Society! After you signed up, you may have noticed (on your Dashboard) that you were scheduled to receive our September box. We understand, though, that you joined Sample Society in the hopes of receiving the August box. Even though this box had sold out by the time you registered, we’ve made more available – and you can now count on getting our August box.
We’re currently working to update your Dashboard, so please check back in the next couple days for info on your August shipment.
Again, welcome to Sample Society – we hope you love your experience!

So very excited to go on this new adventure in beauty boxes!!

I just subscribed to this and was pretty happy about it....until I realized they shipped UPS. This will be my first and last box.
I'm pretty excited its coming UPS!  I just canceled ipsy for both the lack of quality products lately and the ridiculous amount of time it takes for DHL to deliver!  I just got my shipping notice for SS and I'll get it on Monday

@@Bflopolska that's exactly what I'll be doing with mine!  Tiger Stripe mani FTW!

(It does help that hubby's a huge Bengals fan and football season is fast approaching!  Perfect timing on this polish for me!)
Louie is so much a Bills fan that Jon Bon Jovi is banned from the house! (in the meantime, I don't get football--to my husband, it makes perfect, logical sense but to me it looks like chaos.) He is Indian, though, and Bengal tigers are A Thing in his culture!

Latest posts

Back