Sample Society August 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't think anyone quoted what they said on FB yesterday (and I don't have time to read over it right now) - "Allure editors are now choosing the product to be especially mindful of category diversity, meaning there will be a better balance between makeup, skincare, haircare, fragrance, and more!"  So looks like the variety this past two months isn't a fluke, but their goal.  YaY!

Don't think anyone quoted what they said on FB yesterday (and I don't have time to read over it right now) - "Allure editors are now choosing the product to be especially mindful of category diversity, meaning there will be a better balance between makeup, skincare, haircare, fragrance, and more!"  So looks like the variety this past two months isn't a fluke, but their goal.  YaY!
Very good news! This box was once my favorite... Then it got so bad I cancelled (but only for one month before Allure took over). Glad it's back up with a bang! This could become my favorite again.

If popsugar sucks this month, I will be canceling. So at least then I can feel like I'm. Not spending sooo much on boxes each month.

If you have an Ipsy subscription, you can see your glam bag early by sharing something to FB (and then immediately deleting the post) and subscribing to some YouTube Channels (and then immediately unsubscribing).

My bag was filled with 5 things I DIDN'T want, making my subsequent cancellation easy. Very easy.  I'm all yours, SS!

Darn UPS went flying by my office this morning, he must have a lot of air packages to get out this morning. I'll have to wait until he delivers ground stuff.  Hopefully he'll bring my box around lunch.  

Ok UPS came back!

The outer box is different this month.

photo 1.JPG

For some reason it was reeeeallly difficult to get the box out of the shipping box!

photo 2.JPG First look!

photo 3.JPG The Oribe is jammed in the box which pushed the sides out, THAT'S why it was so hard to get out of the shipping box.

Sizes are as follow:

Oribe: 2.5 oz (the biggest item)

Too Faced Melted: .16 oz (if you got this from Sephora it came in a cute little box, no outer box here).

Ciate mini: .17 oz, mini size, no cute bow, it's not shimmery or glittery just a bright, almost neon orange. Good for summer toes!

Jane Iredale mascara: .1 oz black ice color, I think most items from this brand are on the small side.

Kate Somerville Dilo Oil:  .1 oz, pretty good size considering you're directed to only use one - two drops twice a day. 

NICE!!!

so the Cha Cha Cha thing was accurate!  I'm totally OK with the color, just feel like the "spoiler" pic for Ciate was a little misleading.  Still 1000x better than my Ipsy bag this month!

According to the book, there are no variations, and while on that topic, this book is so much more helpful than any other sub box.

NICE!!!

so the Cha Cha Cha thing was accurate!  I'm totally OK with the color, just feel like the "spoiler" pic for Ciate was a little misleading.  Still 1000x better than my Ipsy bag this month!
The spoiler pic did lead me to think they were sending more fall/red/orangey-red type colors.  I looked up the description of Chax3 and it said a neon orange which is a better and more accurate description of this color.  

Plus it's a mini, it's so cute!

Yay!! I've been wanting an "in your face" neon orange - Thanks ladies for the spoilers & pics- I'm also super excited for the oribe & the too faced- this box is awesome- well done ALLURE!!!!

I emailed CS about their FB page saying if we signed up by the 5th we'd get August's box but when I finished my sign up it said my first box would be September and I got 2 email responses.  One was saying the posts on FB were an oversight since they charge on the 1st and I missed that cut off, and they gave me a $10 credit, and the second one said I would more than likely get the august box and to wait for further emails...i dont know what is happening but I'm ok with whatever happens.  Especially now that I know my ipsy bag is crapola.

I just got my box too and got the same things as Bizgirlva. I like it and am excited to try the Oribe! 

Can't wait to get mine! Looks like it won't be until Monday though. The melted actually looks bigger than I imagined it would be!

I emailed CS about their FB page saying if we signed up by the 5th we'd get August's box but when I finished my sign up it said my first box would be September and I got 2 email responses.  One was saying the posts on FB were an oversight since they charge on the 1st and I missed that cut off, and they gave me a $10 credit, and the second one said I would more than likely get the august box and to wait for further emails...i dont know what is happening but I'm ok with whatever happens.  Especially now that I know my ipsy bag is crapola.
That's weird because I definitely subbed after the first and mine is on its way here. I hope you get it!!

I am so in love with sample society lately. This is my fourth box and I'm too excited. My first 2 were very skin care heavy and I was going to cancel. But the third box is when they did they did the makeover, So glad I stayed. I miss the black boxes though lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Just checked my ups my choice calendar and I won't be getting my bag til Tuesday. Will be living thru your box reveals til I get mine it seems. Oh well good things come to those who wait and I can't wait for my melted sample :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@@tnorth1852 @ @ivfmommy  and everyone else who is dropping Ipsy 

FWIW, I dropped Ipsy last July after a couple of disappointing bags in a row.  I have not regretted that decision, not once.  Not even when there are particular products that I would like to try, I just remind myself I probably wouldn't have received them anyway.  I'm not sure how Ipsy will pull itself out of the state it's in -- so many subscribers and never (seemingly) enough of the most desireable products.  And even if you get the "good" stuff in any month, to me the rest of it was usually "meh" at best.

Anyway, back on topic, my Sample Society box was delivered today, so I've got that and my 2nd Birchbox to look forward to this evening!

@@tnorth1852 @ @ivfmommy  and everyone else who is dropping Ipsy 

FWIW, I dropped Ipsy last July after a couple of disappointing bags in a row.  I have not regretted that decision, not once.  Not even when there are particular products that I would like to try, I just remind myself I probably wouldn't have received them anyway.  I'm not sure how Ipsy will pull itself out of the state it's in -- so many subscribers and never (seemingly) enough of the most desireable products.  And even if you get the "good" stuff in any month, to me the rest of it was usually "meh" at best.

Anyway, back on topic, my Sample Society box was delivered today, so I've got that and my 2nd Birchbox to look forward to this evening!
I dropped Ipsy for about 8 months. Out of boredom one day, I suppose, I decided to give them 3 months to "impress me".... nope. But I've been impressed with Sample Society from afar. I also ordered some of the kits when they were on sale a few months back. Loved them! Personally, I'd prefer higher end brand samples in moderate sizes vice "full-size" lower end brands. Thus, I think I've made an excellent decision. I only wish I'd made it before today so I could cash in on an August box!!

ETA: Grammar!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back