Sample Society August 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Swatched the melted today at Sephora and this color just wont work for me =(
From looking at swatches online, it's not going to work for me either.  However, I'm wondering if I could possibly use it to lighten or darken other things I have.  I'm hoping I might be able to work with it.

I think it's a workable/bendable, it was so thick (not really thick but...) I think it would have to be the base and then add to it.  

Does anyone know if the future boxes will have color variations like the July one, or will everyone will get the same color?
There will be variations for some things, but for the two specific items spoilered so far, we know there are no variations because they stated everyone gets the same things on those.  We knew that the July gloss and polish had variations because they said so in those spoilers.  They did specifically say this on Facebook:

Right now we are having one consistent box (same products, but with shade variations). As we grow, we expect to have variations of boxes again.
So *this time*, everyone gets the same shade for spoiler #2.  But if spoiler #3 is, say, hand cream/shower gel or eyeliner/blush, there might be different scents/shades.

Question for everyone who's been subscribed for a while: Do you use your 10% discount coupon code?  What types of items would you tend to buy at Beauty Bar rather than somewhere else?

Question for everyone who's been subscribed for a while: Do you use your 10% discount coupon code? What types of items would you tend to buy at Beauty Bar rather than somewhere else?
In being subbed to Sample Society for about two years, I've never used the sample society code. Beauty Bar usually sends out emails with better codes throughout the year, so I have used one of those.
ETA: the product I purchased in that order was a Diptyque fragrance. Diptyque is only sold in high end stores, so otherwise finding a discount on it is pretty slim.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question for everyone who's been subscribed for a while: Do you use your 10% discount coupon code? What types of items would you tend to buy at Beauty Bar rather than somewhere else?
I tend to use things like that to get a discount on "basics" I use that don't usually go on sale, actual sale items or items that have a nice GWP that might be good as a swap item, Secret Santa gift or gift for a family member.

There was a sale on a 2 pack of Beauty Blenders, so I picked a set up. My mom's birthday is at the end of August, so I got an on-sale hand cream for her. Then I just sorted sale items by price to see what was the best deal and found some pretty Caspari tissue paper for Christmas to round it to $50.

Annnnnd I am resubbed for this month. I am all for the Oribe spoiler. I already have Peony from the beauty.com GWP so I'll either trade it or perhaps eventually use it. 

thinking about dumping ipsy for Sample Society...any input would be appreciated.  I have had Ipsy for 15m and its lost its luster...

thanks

thinking about dumping ipsy for Sample Society...any input would be appreciated.  I have had Ipsy for 15m and its lost its luster...

thanks
The new SS is seeming great so far!  I may decide to dump ipsy too, but if I had to choose, based on last month's box and this month's spoilers, I would choose SS.  I like their shipping and customer service better too.

I sub to both, but if I had to choose one, I'd go with Sample Society. It's a bit hard to tell how things are going to pan out for Sample Society at the moment since they were just taken over by Allure, but their last box was very promising. 

Also, Be a Bombshell is going to be on Hautelook on Wednesday if you're going through ipsy withdrawals.  :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

thanks
I haven't decided yet. I'm thinking of giving it another month or two, but honestly if I get any more crapola that smells like a plastic seatcover in an aging taxicab in high summer, I'll give up on Ipsy for good. One would think that Michelle Phan would carry the kind of weight that can bring in more and better brands, and we wouldn't be getting The Dreaded L-Things so many times in a year.

I haven't decided yet. I'm thinking of giving it another month or two, but honestly if I get any more crapola that smells like a plastic seatcover in an aging taxicab in high summer, I'll give up on Ipsy for good. One would think that Michelle Phan would carry the kind of weight that can bring in more and better brands, and we wouldn't be getting The Dreaded L-Things so many times in a year.
Instead of Michelle Phan picking out things that she really does like, it seems she just endorses whatever they get for the bags. It doesn't feel honest to me, and it makes me think less of her brand and Ipsy. If I wasn't on a no buy, I would totally dump Ipsy for SS, but it seems I'll just be dumping Ipsy instead.

I subscribed to Sample Society for the first time this month and decided to cancel Ipsy about the same time.  I didn't intentionally swap them, but I looked over my Ipsy bags for the past 10 months and realized that I had only used or was excited about roughly 2 things out of each bag.  While $10 isn't a lot of money, the Ipsy cost was just too high.  I also noticed that I received 6 products total from BaB or Pop Beauty (3 each) and 50% of my bags contained one of those products.  Breaking it down a bit further, I received a total of 50 items from Ipsy and 24 of those items were from 11 different brands.  I realize that there are a finite amount of beauty brands out there, but I also felt like I wasn't getting exposed to brands that Ipsy advertised that I would get samples from.

The brands that they claim you could receive (on their initial homepage) are Benefit, Urban Decay, OleHendrikson, NYX, Josie Maran, Buxom, and Sexy Hair.  For me, that is mostly true, as I received 1 product each from Benefit, UD, and Buxom and two products each from Sexy Hair and NYX.  I also was supposed to get OleHendrikson, but that was was lost.  So I received 7 products out of 50 from their advertised brands and that feels a bit deceptive to me.  

I realize that I've only received one Sample Society box, so obviously things could go downhill later, but I was impressed that I received two higher end products in my first box (Butter London and Laura Mercier), as well as a somewhat new drugstore product (the L'Oreal, which a google search indicates might have been launched at the beginning of the year).  I've already used two products (the BL and L'Oreal), am happy to play around with the Laura Mercier (highlighters are tricky for me) and the hair mask, and plan to use the perfume closer to fall.  

I guess I just got tired of being disappointed with Ipsy.  I felt like if they were offering anything from BaB, Pop Beauty, or Pixi in a given month, I'd be getting that product and was just tired of the constant brand repeats.

From looking at swatches online, it's not going to work for me either. However, I'm wondering if I could possibly use it to lighten or darken other things I have. I'm hoping I might be able to work with it.
I mix it with one if my other Melted lipsticks because this color looks so bad on me. But mixed with one if the other 7 shades I own makes it wearable. I was hoping the mini might be in a more universally flattering shade! Sad face.

thanks
I'd like to do the same thing, but I have an annual Ipsy subscription that runs through April, and I don't think I can get any money back.

Back