Sample Society: June 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by TallCoolTexan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

TOTALLY love Sample Society! I have bought many of the full sized products from them.

IMO, Sample Society and Glossybox are the 2 best beauty sample boxes around..

What do the rest of you think? Do you kind of " rate" your boxes as to quality of items, etc? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I still have BB as my # 1 sub.. at 10.00 a month I cant help but have 2. It looks like Glossybox will be my # 2 favorite (just based on this months box) and Sample Society is my 3rd favorite. Then Julep. But I just added Conscious Box, so I may end up liking that one more.

I keep them if I get a good value for my investment. For example: I enjoy and USE the items sent to me. BB has been very good to me in this regard, SS not so much. Although the first 2 boxes were awesome. Julep I will probably not get anymore. After 2 months with them I think I am done. I just dont like nail polish all that much. Well, not enough to pay 20/month for 2 of them plus an extra.

Order Date: Monday, May 28, 2012 Order Number: 15571215 Total: $15.90
Expected Delivery: Tuesday, Jun. 05

Shipping Method: UPS GROUND 

My payment is pending on my CC right now.

I would love more makeup products but I feel like SS has higher end products and are of a substantial size compared to everyone else.  I use the Murad primer as a foundation and I have gotten at least 5-4 uses out of it.  I was glad to see the Stila mascara in last month's box and if they add the points system I just may be a lifer.

Jeez..I just realized I've been with Sample Society for three months and never got my Allure magazine. It was supposed to start coming with last month's box lol..Wonder what will happen when I call CS again about it. But, I really like their CS, super nice and helpful! Never mind..just saw on the site I have to contact Conde Nast directly..boo!

Originally Posted by yanelib27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I still have BB as my # 1 sub.. at 10.00 a month I cant help but have 2. It looks like Glossybox will be my # 2 favorite (just based on this months box) and Sample Society is my 3rd favorite. Then Julep. But I just added Conscious Box, so I may end up liking that one more.

I keep them if I get a good value for my investment. For example: I enjoy and USE the items sent to me. BB has been very good to me in this regard, SS not so much. Although the first 2 boxes were awesome. Julep I will probably not get anymore. After 2 months with them I think I am done. I just dont like nail polish all that much. Well, not enough to pay 20/month for 2 of them plus an extra.
 What's in the Glossybox this month?  I am not going to subscribe bc of the cost but am still nosy and would love to see what everyone else got!

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You don't have to be "old" to use the wrinkle products, it seems lots of younger people use them for preventative reasons. Plus, all the anti-aging stuff is popular and hyped up. Perfume is universal, anyone at any age can enjoy it..maybe just not the specific samples we get lol.

For young people, the only effective anti-aging products are SPF and a skin-appropriate moisturizer.  Lifting,firming, dark spot erasing,etc has no effect on skin that doesn't need it. It doesn't hurt, but since those products are usually more costly than a plain moisturizer with SPF, you're just wasting $$. 

If you'e getting them in your boxes, they're okay to use, providing they're not too rich for your skin.

But again, they prevent nothing. Only SPF, not smoking, staying out of the sun, and a good diet does that.

( I was a beauty consultant for many years for Estee Lauder, Lancome, and Elizabeth Arden, and this is what I was taught by all of them)

Originally Posted by GinaM /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by yanelib27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What's in the Glossybox this month?  I am not going to subscribe bc of the cost but am still nosy and would love to see what everyone else got!

I had joined for the first box and was very underwhelmed, considering their tie in with Allure. I was expecting more pizazz and glamour, especially since it was their inaugural box.  I cancelled right after that. But a few weeks ago they sent me an invite, so I decided to try them again.  I have no idea what was in April or May's boxes, but I sure hope June is more impressive than March!  The sizes and values were good, but the item themselves were dull as dishwater to me. Like getting a box of toothbrushes and toilet paper. Useful? Sure. Exciting? No. 

So just waiting for the June box to wow me.

Thanks for the replies, :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I like Conscious Box as a " surprise" kind of sampler.. I never know what I will get LOL.

I dropped quite a few boxes this month as I was subbed to 28. Sigh. I know.

My all around faves are: Sample Society, Glossybox, Birchbox, and Foodzie.

STILL waiting on my Eco-Emi box.. have no idea why they haven't sent me anything yet, and I don't find that their CS is too well organized..

BTW, un-subbing from BeautyBox5 and one other that I considered to be " not great", think it was Beauty Army, was not easy to do at all. It seems like the cheaper they are, the harder it is to get rid of them!!! LOL. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

If you like gourmet food products, try Foodzie's monthly theme box. I LOVED their Portland box last month except for one big, ROCK hard salami which the dog enjoyed.

Originally Posted by pinktergal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For young people, the only effective anti-aging products are SPF and a skin-appropriate moisturizer.  Lifting,firming, dark spot erasing,etc has no effect on skin that doesn't need it. It doesn't hurt, but since those products are usually more costly than a plain moisturizer with SPF, you're just wasting $$. 

If you'e getting them in your boxes, they're okay to use, providing they're not too rich for your skin.

But again, they prevent nothing. Only SPF, not smoking, staying out of the sun, and a good diet does that.

( I was a beauty consultant for many years for Estee Lauder, Lancome, and Elizabeth Arden, and this is what I was taught by all of them)

I love Kiehl's products and have been using the Abyssine cream for a while, so was happy to get it in my box.  For the SPF and all that, I agree. I'm only 27, but do use eye creams and a nice moisturizer, serums, yada yada. SPF coverage in the AM and through the day..my more expensive moisturizers and a serum at night, with my eye cream and being mindful not to spread too much on the oily parts of my face. I'm still young, sure, but there's more than enough dirty crap in the air and stuff around me and if I don't start doing a regular and routine skincare habit in my twenties...I'm likely not going to want to start/stick to it when I'm older. Trying to start my good habits now and evolve them over the long haul. 
icon_biggrin.gif

Beauty companies are not going to tell you that a basic good and healthy lifestyle is all you really need, because they want you to buy their expensive products and wonder ingredients. Seriously, we all know I'm not putting on J'Adore and poof...looking like Charlize Theron in a sexy gold gown lol. My lashes are not going to look like the silly ad, unless I put fake ones on just like the model. I get that and would hope other consumers know that as well. Their advertising would tell you different..even those silly doctor's shows and stuff..they were discussing how more people are now doing Botox!! in their twenties as a "preventative" measure for wrinkles..!!! faceslap. That's why I used the word hype in my above post.. we as consumers get such conflicting information/advertising from companies and even "experts."

That's the beauty of the subs..I get to play with things and figure out whether or not I like it, regardless if it's needed. Because, really, none of these subs are necessary, merely fun.

Originally Posted by yanelib27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

HHHmmmm...Isn't Glossybox $21 a month or am I mistaken?  If so, the contents seem on par with BB and SS so it seems overpriced in comaprison.  Someone, correct me if I am wrong about the cost.

HHHmmmm...Isn't Glossybox $21 a month or am I mistaken?  If so, the contents seem on par with BB and SS so it seems overpriced in comaprison.  Someone, correct me if I am wrong about the cost.
You are correct, but that full size phytojoba alone is worth something like 32 dollars, or so I read on a blog. Plus a burberry lipstick (sample sized, but a good sized sample) and a full size zoya makes it worth it to me. I can see how some wouldn't see the value, but I certainly do.

Although further investigation leads me to believe that is not full size...I'll look into it once I get my box.

Quote: Originally Posted by yanelib27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I dont think so. You will never get the above box from BB, I can guarantee that. They do occasionally send out one full size product in select boxes each month but by no means 2 full size products and deluxe samples like the ones Glossybox is sending out. For example- the Zoya in the Glossybox is full sized, BB sends out the mini zoyas.

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ditto!! I feel the same way... some people are just not going to be satisfied; if there was a sub that catered only to makeup, there'd be customers upset about the premium cost  or colors/products being received..can't win either way and the grass always looks greener on the other side!

As far as the June booklet, someone last month was able to do a sneak peek and link to June's booklet while previewing May's - does that make sense? For June, looks like we're getting a lip product, fragrance, and hair spray product from the old posts.
The advice guide used to be up for June under this link but it doesn't seem to be working anymore. Note, it doesn't 404 which leads me to believe someone realized people (MUT members :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />) were peeking and removed the images. If I remember correctly, the advice guide also mentioned acne treatment. And more specifically, it talked about lip plumping (I'm thinking this would be where the Jane Iredale that has been advertised comes in) and beachy waves. 

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You are correct, but that full size phytojoba alone is worth something like 32 dollars, or so I read on a blog. Plus a burberry lipstick (sample sized, but a good sized sample) and a full size zoya makes it worth it to me. I can see how some wouldn't see the value, but I certainly do.

Although further investigation leads me to believe that is not full size...I'll look into it once I get my box.
The Phyto in the box is 50ml, and a full-sized version is 6.7 oz, or about 200ml, so it's worth more like $8.  According to my calculations, the box value is around $48 for just the products on the card.  There's an additional item not on the card, and I have no idea what it's worth, so I'll just round it up to $50. 

I rejoined Sample Society again for this month.  I like Sample Society, but for some reason it just doesnt thrill me the way Birchbox does.  It's not because of the products, because SS seems to always have pretty good stuff.  I dont know what it is about Birchbox that I like so much.

I do wish they wouldnt charge my debit card early.  I generally dont carry a big balance in my checking account, and I have a lot of automatic deductions.  If they say they bill the 1st of the month, I would expect them to charge my card on the 1st of the month, not on the 28th.  If I have anything returned because of this and incur any returned check fees,  I'm going to be very angry.  The least they could do is send out an email saying my account was charged so I could at least transfer some funds, and avoid problems.  I can see that there is a hold on that 15.00 in my checking account, but if I didnt read what others wrote here, I wouldnt have known what it was until it goes through.

I'm looking for a new fragrance, so I'm glad to be getting a new perfume sample to try out this month, and a lippy!  And I love getting face/eye creams.  I'm not too sure about the beachy waves hair product, but my neice will probably love that.

I went to Macy's the other day to see if I could get a couple of perfume samples to take home with me.  I like to be able to see how they smell on me, and what my boyfreind thinks, but the woman just sprayed a couple on some cards and handed them to me - useless!  Needless to say, I wont purchase them until I can try them out on me!

Oh wow! Has anyone seen the 7 new pics they added to their fb page? Fingers crossed that we are getting some of that stuff in our boxes! Looks AWESOME! Really hoping this is what's in the boxes. The hint on a previous post sounds very similar to the pics they just added! Lipstick hairspray mascara blotting papaers nail file I forget what else! Someone please check it out and pinch me!

Originally Posted by MandyLu13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh wow! Has anyone seen the 7 new pics they added to their fb page? Fingers crossed that we are getting some of that stuff in our boxes! Looks AWESOME! Really hoping this is what's in the boxes. The hint on a previous post sounds very similar to the pics they just added! Lipstick hairspray mascara blotting papaers nail file I forget what else! Someone please check it out and pinch me!
if we got that stuff this would be an amazing box!!!!

I remember that one of the June pages talked about fake tans. Is it possible we're getting this?

Back