Sample Society: June 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are in the process of switching over to a points system. That was posted by someone in last month's thread when there was a discussion about orders, refunds and coupons. I guess if you really want to know more details, you'd have to contact BeautyBar/Sample Society and ask.

Originally Posted by lovesmakeup2012 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by yanelib27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

no points :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Oh OK
icon_sad.gif
  Thank you.

*quietly goes to cancel membership*

lol I am considering the same thing... ahh I really dnt know what to do... I have a whole month to decide, and I will at least try everything. This month was strike # 2 for me, maybe I will give them one more month (?)

This is my 1st month and I'm ok with the products, just not really excited.  I will probably end up cancelling because I have too many subs and this is probably at the bottom.  I am glad I got the sub to Allure though.  Makes it worth it worth the cost to try it for a month.

I won't use the hair stuff since I spend so much time flat ironing my hair.  My hair looks weird with waves.  One of my daughters may be able to use it though.

I probably won't like the perfume either.  And I have tons of eye cream, although it looks like it might be nice.   I've had Murad acne cleanser in the past, so while I'll use it, it's just not exciting.

I need to find someone to give this one to. 2 of the products are not for my characteristics at all. I'm a bit shocked that they would be marketing to such a young age group, considering how expensive the full sizes were in previous boxes. I've bought several products based upon their samples and the $15 discount, but I think they kind of went off the rails with this box that's coming.

Originally Posted by TallCoolTexan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I need to find someone to give this one to. 2 of the products are not for my characteristics at all. I'm a bit shocked that they would be marketing to such a young age group, considering how expensive the full sizes were in previous boxes. I've bought several products based upon their samples and the $15 discount, but I think they kind of went off the rails with this box that's coming.
I don't get what buying expensive beauty products has to do with age, seeing as the targeted demographic for these boxes are generally people who already spend a lot of money on beauty. And these products are hardly geared towards young people anyway, imo.

I'm excited about all the products (ok, maybe not the perfume only because I have perfume samples coming out of my ears at this point).  

I really like SS. It actually may be my fave sub (I also have BB and Glossy, canceled MyGlam). It seems to miss the WOW factor of some of the other subs, but the products have been luxury brands and deluxe samples (unlike some of the other subs). And I don't mind the repeats from the same brand b/c I've been pretty happy with what's come so far.  

I am not overly excited about this box.  The lip plumper could be good, depending on the color.  I do not get the acne products.  Not everyone can use acne products so it seems like a little bit of a waste.  Not thrilled with the Oscar perfume.  Sorry, but this is an old lady brand to me.  I do not need another eyecream.  I am on the fence about the hair product.  I tend to try to tame my wavy hair, not encourage it.  Just my two cents.

lol I gave the other Oscar perfume to my friend's grandma but now that she's out of town Im not sure who I can give this one to?
roflmao.gif

Originally Posted by TallCoolTexan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't get what buying expensive beauty products has to do with age, seeing as the targeted demographic for these boxes are generally people who already spend a lot of money on beauty. And these products are hardly geared towards young people anyway, imo.
One of the reasons I hose this subscription service is because it does NOT appear to cater to a young demographic. Old broads like me tend to have more money to throw around, which is what buying expensive beauty products has to do with age. 
smilehappyyes.gif

I am baffled, however, by the combination of eye and acne cream in the same box. 
blink.gif

Using a good eye cream can be a preventative-aging treatment, and a lot of women in their 20s still suffer from breakouts -- myself included.

Originally Posted by StillPooh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One of the reasons I hose this subscription service is because it does NOT appear to cater to a young demographic. Old broads like me tend to have more money to throw around, which is what buying expensive beauty products has to do with age. 
smilehappyyes.gif

I am baffled, however, by the combination of eye and acne cream in the same box. 
blink.gif
While I understand what she was implying, I was pointing out it's not true. As someone in their 20s with a full time job and no children, I probably have more disposable income than a lot of people older than me. I also was pointing out that even if someone who subscribes to these boxes doesn't have a lot of money, they are more likely to buy expensive beauty products than your average person who has a lot of money. 

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

While I understand what she was implying, I was pointing out it's not true. As someone in their 20s with a full time job and no children, I probably have more disposable income than a lot of people older than me. I also was pointing out that even if someone who subscribes to these boxes doesn't have a lot of money, they are more likely to buy expensive beauty products than your average person who has a lot of money. 
I second that.. Most people want the best for them no matter how much money. 

income should not matter..let alone your age in this.

I'm not sure if there's a better place to ask this, but I'm wondering: Do you think that after Sample Society has been around longer that they will get the backing of more brands? When I was looking at their website shopping area, I hardly recognized any of the makeup brands... Maybe it's just me...

Well, I *had* been planning on giving this one a couple more months before I cut it, but this box has made me decide to cancel as soon as it arrives.  I can't use the first item, I tried the second item via Birchbox (in fact, I still have most of that sample) and was unimpressed, I won't use the third item, and the fourth and fifth items address needs I don't have.  The funny thing is that I got a raise last week, so I actually have more money to spend on these boxes, but this is the third box I've cut in the past month or so because I didn't like the trend of the contents, and I have a feeling I'm about to cut a fourth box, too.  Maybe I'll keep Little Black Bag after all...

Originally Posted by PlayinWitMakeup /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not sure if there's a better place to ask this, but I'm wondering: Do you think that after Sample Society has been around longer that they will get the backing of more brands? When I was looking at their website shopping area, I hardly recognized any of the makeup brands... Maybe it's just me...
Considering Beauty Bar, which owns Sample Society, is backed by Allure Magazine it already had a powerhouse behind it. 90% of the products on the site are well known companies and while you don't recognize the brands doesn't mean these are unknown companies. I know for many Inglot is a well known company but for me when I first heard of it it was an unknown company. That's what's great about these sample box companies because it does allow you to try companies you may not have heard of or couldn't afford because it's a luxury item.

Well put! That's why I have enjoyed Sample Society so much; it has the backing of a well known company and I like the brand exposure. I have enjoyed all my boxes and was able to get a mystery box, which was pretty cool.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Considering Beauty Bar, which owns Sample Society, is backed by Allure Magazine it already had a powerhouse behind it. 90% of the products on the site are well known companies and while you don't recognize the brands doesn't mean these are unknown companies. I know for many Inglot is a well known company but for me when I first heard of it it was an unknown company. That's what's great about these sample box companies because it does allow you to try companies you may not have heard of or couldn't afford because it's a luxury item.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, I guess I have a lot to learn. lol. I'm just getting started with higher end products. That's why I'm signing up for a couple different beauty box subscriptions. The only makeup companies on their site I've even heard of are Stila, Philosophy, and LORAC. 
smile.gif

Do you (or anyone else) suggest any other good beginner beauty subscriptions?

Birchbox is $10 a month an is on par with Beauty Bar's Sample Society. On the higher end there's Glossybox which just launched to the general public. Quarterly - and it's more expensive as such - are Beautyfix (which is owned by the Dermstore) and Test Tube by New Beauty (both directly from NB and one sent by QVC) - those are roughly between $38 and $50.

Does the Alterna product help create waves for straight hair, or is it meant to enhance already wavy hair?

This month looks pretty decent, but I'm a little wary of Oscar de la Renta's perfumes--the last one was very mature. and I wish that they'd stop sending skin-specific things like acne medication--they already had an anti-acne thing in April! excited to try the Alterna thing though, if it works for my hair :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.

I think this'll be my last month--I just keep accruing samples that address the opposite of my concerns--lots of hair oils, anti-acne, anti-wrinkle, etc :/. I'm starting to think Birchbox was the best sub company I tried, though at the time I was disappointed from the hype. But the past few months seem pretty great, in terms of the types of products they have.

Latest posts

Back