Sample Society: May 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was disappointed when I first opened my box thinking, another Alterna spray and the Yube again. Then, I tried the BB cream and for once, I got the right color because it is a bit darker. The Jane Iredale looks tiny and smells like a kids gloss but I loved it when I tried it. The color takes a while to warm up but it turned into a lovely deep pink and a little goes a long way...and very moisturizing.

I have to agree disappointment for me here as well. THIS is $15? Hardly worth it.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have to agree disappointment for me here as well. THIS is $15? Hardly worth it.

Yup. Super underwhelming. I'm not excited at all about any of it.

I found it refreshing that they sent a darker toned BB cream. I usually have the opposite problem with having to get rid of samples because they're way too light, like the previous 2 BB creams I've received. But with the pinkish undertones, it's still not a great match.

I got my box night. After 2 months of being under whelmed I cancelled. I like Birchbox much better and they have better rewards. On another note even if that BB cream wasn't 3 shades too dark for me, it has that strong sunscreen smell that makes me nauseated. The Jane Iredale is nice as a lip product but a little too glossy for a cheek product.

I decided to give the BB cream a try and after about 15 minutes my face began to itch intensely.  I don't know if it's supposed to have lifting or plumping stuff going on but I had to wash it off.  I've decided to cancel and will be calling tomorrow.  I'd rather get a second Birchbox.  For those of you who cancelled, did they ask for feedback?

Originally Posted by Glitterazzi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I decided to give the BB cream a try and after about 15 minutes my face began to itch intensely.  I don't know if it's supposed to have lifting or plumping stuff going on but I had to wash it off.  I've decided to cancel and will be calling tomorrow.  I'd rather get a second Birchbox.  For those of you who cancelled, did they ask for feedback?
You can just cancel online.  That's how I did it.  On your Dashboard under the Quick Links heading, there's a Cancel Membership link.  I don't remember whether they asked for a reason.

[SIZE=10pt]For what it's worth, my Kit A is better than ANY box I have had from Birchbox.  Shrug. I'm not really seeing the problem with the sample sizes either.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]The Jane Iredale - I actually love this.  It feels great on, I actually like the smell, and on me after a few minutes it turned a very flattering deep pink.  I plan to purchase the full size, shame it is out of stock at Beauty Bar, but there are other places I can buy it.  The little lippie sample is cute to me, and there is enough in there for me to use it until the full size shows up, so I guess I'm not seeing the sample size issue here.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Yu-Be Cream - I will probably rub this on my heels or something.  It's another moisturizer, but I pretty much expect all the boxes to send moisturizers.  I doubt I will love it enough to use it to replace something else, but I guess I could.  Small sample, but at least it's not a foil.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Dr Brandt BB - Decent size sample, probably 5 times the size of what Birchbox sent out when they sampled Dr Jarts. Every BB I have ever had has separated over time, so I shook and squeezed the crap out of the tube before I swatched it on my hand, and even though it looked really dark at first, it blended in fast.  Tried it on my face and it matched well there after blending a bit too.  I don't think I get as much coverage as with Dr Jarts, but I will hold onto it to use in a pinch or for travel.  Looks to me like I could get almost two weeks use out of this sample.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Alterna Shine Mist - Another decent sized sample.  I only spritzed it on tonight to see if it would make shine (it did), but I can see myself using this, as I tend to like shine sprays, particularly if they may tame some frizzies in Houston humidity.  Like I said, it's a decent sized sample, I can see myself getting a couple weeks or more use out of this, and it would definitely be big enough for travel size.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Kate Somerville Tanning Towelettes - I'm not into self tanners personally (I just go ahead and dare skin cancer to come get me instead), but I know many people use this stuff now that everyone says we should shun the sun and slather ourselves in SPF, so I get why the sample boxes are sending these.  My friend has probably used every self tanner known to man, and she says these things are great, so she will get mine, and he's happy about it.  Because of that, I haven't opened the packet to try it, but it feels like it's probably a decent sized towelette, maybe enough to do a pair of legs?  If you are fast?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Overall, I would say I got a deal for my $15.  I found one thing I loved immediately, and 100% plan to buy, everything will eventually get used, and who knows, something else from this box may become a gotta have it item after I use it a couple times.  (Not the self tanner though.)  I don't spend a lot of time calculating the "value" of a box, because I think that's silly. The worth of the box is that I may find something I like without having to spend the gas, and more importantly the time, to drive to Sephora or a department store.  I think this month's box succeeded at that.[/SIZE]

I don't care that much about monetary value for a box. I just think that it's weird that SS is $5 more yet it has a smaller retail value than the $10/$12 boxes. I also get very low personal value from my SS box (for the 2 months I have been a subscriber). I will use 1 thing from this month's box (the Jane Iredale), but I was already familiar with the brand, and I don't feel like it's something I would need to buy the full size for. Last month, I pretty much only used the hair clips from my box. A lot of the samples I would be interested in trying are so tiny that I don't think I would even know if I liked the product by using them (for example, the Cotz and Caudalie I got last month). 

My thoughts for this month:

Yu-Be Cream- I hate the smell. It smells like Vicks Vapor Rub to me. I can't use it because of the smell. It also has the consistency of vaseline, which I find disgusting.

Dr. Brandt BB- I dislike this BB cream and all BB creams because they always look way to dark or orange on my skin. I can't use this without looking ridiculous.

Alterna Shine Mist- I have fine, limp hair that gets greasy pretty quickly between washes. Shine mists always weigh my hair down and look greasy, even when they say they won't.

Kate Somerville Tanning Towelette- I don't tan and don't want to. This is wasted on me. 

Jane Iredale Lip & Cheek Stain- It smells really nice and looks pretty on me. I will use this as a lip stain because it's too sticky for me to use on my cheeks. 

I get 7+ beauty boxes a month, and I am happy with almost all of them but this one right now. It's been 2 disappointing months in a row with this one, but I will give it at least 1 more month before I decide to cancel. I get that some people find stuff they can use in this box,  but I haven't been so lucky, and it currently feels like a waste of $15 to me, like I spent $30 for some hair clips and a tiny lip stain. 

Originally Posted by BlackMagicRose /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't care that much about monetary value for a box. I just think that it's weird that SS is $5 more yet it has a smaller retail value than the $10/$12 boxes. I also get very low personal value from my SS box (for the 2 months I have been a subscriber). I will use 1 thing from this month's box (the Jane Iredale), but I was already familiar with the brand, and I don't feel like it's something I would need to buy the full size for. Last month, I pretty much only used the hair clips from my box. A lot of the samples I would be interested in trying are so tiny that I don't think I would even know if I liked the product by using them (for example, the Cotz and Caudalie I got last month). 

My thoughts for this month:

Yu-Be Cream- I hate the smell. It smells like Vicks Vapor Rub to me. I can't use it because of the smell. It also has the consistency of vaseline, which I find disgusting.

Dr. Brandt BB- I dislike this BB cream and all BB creams because they always look way to dark or orange on my skin. I can't use this without looking ridiculous.

Alterna Shine Mist- I have fine, limp hair that gets greasy pretty quickly between washes. Shine mists always weigh my hair down and look greasy, even when they say they won't.

Kate Somerville Tanning Towelette- I don't tan and don't want to. This is wasted on me. 

Jane Iredale Lip & Cheek Stain- It smells really nice and looks pretty on me. I will use this as a lip stain because it's too sticky for me to use on my cheeks. 

I get 7+ beauty boxes a month, and I am happy with almost all of them but this one right now. It's been 2 disappointing months in a row with this one, but I will give it at least 1 more month before I decide to cancel. I get that some people find stuff they can use in this box,  but I haven't been so lucky, and it currently feels like a waste of $15 to me, like I spent $30 for some hair clips and a tiny lip stain. 
I haven't tried the BB cream yet, and now I'm worried. I'm pretty light-toned, and the swatches I saw a few posts back look, well, unflattering.

I love Yu-Be though, and keep it around for my cuticles and knuckles. I work at a hospital and the soap tears the hell out of my skin. I don't find it Vaseline-y at all; it sinks right in and the bouquet goes away very quickly.

I'm sick of Alterna after getting glutted with it last year, and don't use shine sprays. They weight down my hair too much. I did one get an Alterna treatment that was sort of like a hair sunscreen, which I'm still on the fence about. I'm just tired of it. This month marks my 10th Alterna sample in a 15 month period.

I do love the Jane Iredale though!

Thanks for help with the cancelling question.  FWIW, I have fine, thin hair and lots of products weigh my hair down, but the Alterna shine mist didn't.  I used it two days in a row and both times it was fine and I think it's my favorite product this month.  I was overrun with Alterna products last year and this year too.  The only thing I liked was the UV protectent.  All the hair oils made my hair flat and greasy with only two sprays.

When you put it that way, it really makes me wonder why I subscribe. I had hopes, but this was another lackluster month.

I was looking forward to the Jane Iredale, but I could tell right away it was drying and it had no staying power. The Alterna shine spray was ok, but nothing special. Finally the darker complected girls got a product they can use with the Dr. Brandt, and I'm happy for them. I hope I can trade it. One tanning towlette, meh. And I do like the Yube Cream, but I got it months ago from BB.

Ipsy sounds like the only winner for me this month.

Originally Posted by KrankyJulie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[SIZE=10pt]For what it's worth, my Kit A is better than ANY box I have had from Birchbox.  Shrug. I'm not really seeing the problem with the sample sizes either.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]The Jane Iredale - I actually love this.  It feels great on, I actually like the smell, and on me after a few minutes it turned a very flattering deep pink.  I plan to purchase the full size, shame it is out of stock at Beauty Bar, but there are other places I can buy it.  The little lippie sample is cute to me, and there is enough in there for me to use it until the full size shows up, so I guess I'm not seeing the sample size issue here.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Yu-Be Cream - I will probably rub this on my heels or something.  It's another moisturizer, but I pretty much expect all the boxes to send moisturizers.  I doubt I will love it enough to use it to replace something else, but I guess I could.  Small sample, but at least it's not a foil.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Dr Brandt BB - Decent size sample, probably 5 times the size of what Birchbox sent out when they sampled Dr Jarts. Every BB I have ever had has separated over time, so I shook and squeezed the crap out of the tube before I swatched it on my hand, and even though it looked really dark at first, it blended in fast.  Tried it on my face and it matched well there after blending a bit too.  I don't think I get as much coverage as with Dr Jarts, but I will hold onto it to use in a pinch or for travel.  Looks to me like I could get almost two weeks use out of this sample.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Alterna Shine Mist - Another decent sized sample.  I only spritzed it on tonight to see if it would make shine (it did), but I can see myself using this, as I tend to like shine sprays, particularly if they may tame some frizzies in Houston humidity.  Like I said, it's a decent sized sample, I can see myself getting a couple weeks or more use out of this, and it would definitely be big enough for travel size.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Kate Somerville Tanning Towelettes - I'm not into self tanners personally (I just go ahead and dare skin cancer to come get me instead), but I know many people use this stuff now that everyone says we should shun the sun and slather ourselves in SPF, so I get why the sample boxes are sending these.  My friend has probably used every self tanner known to man, and she says these things are great, so she will get mine, and he's happy about it.  Because of that, I haven't opened the packet to try it, but it feels like it's probably a decent sized towelette, maybe enough to do a pair of legs?  If you are fast?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Overall, I would say I got a deal for my $15.  I found one thing I loved immediately, and 100% plan to buy, everything will eventually get used, and who knows, something else from this box may become a gotta have it item after I use it a couple times.  (Not the self tanner though.)  I don't spend a lot of time calculating the "value" of a box, because I think that's silly. The worth of the box is that I may find something I like without having to spend the gas, and more importantly the time, to drive to Sephora or a department store.  I think this month's box succeeded at that.[/SIZE]
I agree with all of this, this was my third month subscribed and I really have liked all three months and I do believe it is better than Ipsy and Birchbox but I have an overload of samples and a very limited income because I have not been getting enough hours at my part time job and I am going to have to quit in the next three months because I am going to college, so I had to cancel my Sample Society.  I am sad about it, but I will rejoin if I see something I really have to have.

Back