Sample Society: May 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cancelled after seeing my kit (Kit A).  I've gotten 3 boxes and all have been small samples.  It just isn't worth $15 to me.

I'm getting Kit A, adding another to my string of so-so first months with new subs.  My first Birchbox seemed like a "punishment box" and I wasn't crazy about my first Ipsy bag, either.  But both improved in month 2.  I've decided to give new subs 4 months to get a better sense of the "average" before ending them.

I did already use the $15 discount, though.  I'm travelling a lot for work over the next couple of months, so I ordered some travel sized items to take with me of basics I use.  I was happily surprised that the shipping is so quick -- I ordered this morning and got a shipping notice that I'll get them tomorrow.  And the shipping was free, so that's also a plus.

oh my gosh this box was terrribbleeeee. I'm so disappointed. they send out so many BB creams. I've gotten 3 from them since November...NO! 5 I think. its ridiculous. the jane iredale stuff, its basically the lip sticks for kids. it smells like them, and feels like them. very underwhelmed. it doesn't stain very much either. the shine mist is whatever, I actually wish it had been the alterna dry oil I got in my first box, I love that stuff, I'm like hoarding my sample not wanting to use it all up until I can buy a whole bottle! this stuff smells really gross though. I loved the way the dry oil smells. I don't know how I feel about this. DEFINATELY NOT worth $15, this seems like a box from Birchbox during the bad months.

oh my gosh this box was terrribbleeeee. I'm so disappointed. they send out so many BB creams. I've gotten 3 from them since November...NO! 5 I think. its ridiculous. the jane iredale stuff, its basically the lip sticks for kids. it smells like them, and feels like them. very underwhelmed. it doesn't stain very much either. the shine mist is whatever, I actually wish it had been the alterna dry oil I got in my first box, I love that stuff, I'm like hoarding my sample not wanting to use it all up until I can buy a whole bottle! this stuff smells really gross though. I loved the way the dry oil smells. I don't know how I feel about this. DEFINATELY NOT worth $15, this seems like a box from Birchbox during the bad months.
I completely agree!! I have received Sample Society since June and the samples seem to keep getting smaller and smaller... It's sooo disappointing. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> So NOT worth $15, not even close!! They also keep sending repeat brands continuously, which sucks. They really need to step it up or I will have to cancel.

Originally Posted by Brittann /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I completely agree!! I have received Sample Society since June and the samples seem to keep getting smaller and smaller... It's sooo disappointing.
frown.gif
So NOT worth $15, not even close!! They also keep sending repeat brands continuously, which sucks. They really need to step it up or I will have to cancel.
I feel like theyre trying to make up for the lost profit margin from when they sent out the ButterLondon polish :/ not cool SS, not cool.

Originally Posted by katlyne /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is my first one, and I do agree that I don't think it's a $15 box. $10, maybe. I'll give them a couple more months before I decide.

Originally Posted by Brittann /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I completely agree!! I have received Sample Society since June and the samples seem to keep getting smaller and smaller... It's sooo disappointing.
frown.gif
So NOT worth $15, not even close!! They also keep sending repeat brands continuously, which sucks. They really need to step it up or I will have to cancel.
I've been a subscriber for a year this month, and your absolutely right about them sending the same brands over and over.  I happen to really like this box, and will use everything in it, but I think I've received every single item or something very similar in past boxes.  Since Sample Society is Beauty Bar and is affiliated with Allure magazine, I really think they could do better with the variety of brands.  Beauty bar carries a lot of awesome brands I would love to try, but they keep sending the same brands and similar items.  I would love to try a Natura Bisse product, and I never received a By Terry in my boxes, and would love to sample that brand.  I like the brands they do send out, but enough is enough.  I've tried enough Jane Iredale and Alterna products from Sample Society now.

Originally Posted by Tigerlilly6309 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've been a subscriber for a year this month, and your absolutely right about them sending the same brands over and over.  I happen to really like this box, and will use everything in it, but I think I've received every single item or something very similar in past boxes.  Since Sample Society is Beauty Bar and is affiliated with Allure magazine, I really think they could do better with the variety of brands.  Beauty bar carries a lot of awesome brands I would love to try, but they keep sending the same brands and similar items.  I would love to try a Natura Bisse product, and I never received a By Terry in my boxes, and would love to sample that brand.  I like the brands they do send out, but enough is enough.  I've tried enough Jane Iredale and Alterna products from Sample Society now.
What I don't understand is why, if they want to keep sending out the same brands, don't they at least send the newer products? I'm getting Kit A, and all the samples I'm getting are all older products. Alterna has new products, as well as Kate Sommerville, yet we get older stuff. I got the YuBe in a Birchbox a year ago, and this is the second month in a row I'll be getting a BB cream. I agree, I would think Allure could do better than that. 

I had the same thought about the Jane Iredale lip and cheek stain reminding of the lipstick for little girls, but I tried it on, and I really like it a lot!  I didn't realize the lipstick changes color once it's applied.   I have it on now, and the color on my lips is nothing like the shade in the tube.  On me, it looks like a coraly, pinky berry.  Not sure how to describe it, but I LOVE it!  I'm ordering the full size tonight.  I also tried it on my cheeks where I would normally wear blush, but it did nothing.  I cant even tell I have it on my cheeks.  Love it on my lips though!  I think this is going to be my new "go to" lippie!  It feels nice and light too. 

I think I've received if not everything in this box (kit A), then very similar samples in the past.  Sample Society has been sending the same brands over and over, and over.  I really like Sample Society, and I like this box and will use all the samples, but Tigerlilly6309 is right - Sample Society is Beauty Bar and Allure magazine, we should be getting more of a variety of brands in our boxes.

Originally Posted by Clackey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I cancelled after seeing my kit (Kit A).  I've gotten 3 boxes and all have been small samples.  It just isn't worth $15 to me.

Same here; I subscribed for 3 months. The values went from like $60, $30, and then this box was under $25. Unhappy with it. :/

I got a Jane Iredale lipstick in another SS box and it was terrible.  It was so dried out it would barely transfer to my lips and it didn't have any plumping properties whatsoever.  This is definitely the worst box I've received from them and I think I'm going to cancel but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.  I'm tired of getting the same brands over and over and the makeup samples have always been weak.  Maybe I'll give them another month.  I'm glad they're not sending those Diptique perfume samples anymore because they were horrible.

I got Kit A and according to this thread, so did a lot of other gals.  I've been a member since last May and I can definitely see a decline in product value and I'm also beginning to get samples that I have already received from other subs.  I may need to cancel this one, but I'll give it one more month.

Was the bb cream ridiculously dark on anyone else? it's supposed to be self adjusting, and it kind of is, but it really looked like i put self tanner on my face. 

Originally Posted by Sputinka /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Was the bb cream ridiculously dark on anyone else? it's supposed to be self adjusting, and it kind of is, but it really looked like i put self tanner on my face. 
Mine was really dark. I am pretty fair skinned and it is way too dark for me by several shades.

Kit D over here!  I think I'm the only person on here who isn't getting A or B (at least I don't remember anyone else getting this one as well or anyone getting C).

• Yu-Be Moisturizing Skin Cream Deluxe Sample-SS (I've got a couple of these kicking around from other subs that I haven't used due to apathy)
  • B. Kamins Vegetable Cleanser SS (I also have the two huge cleansers from the Allure box plus probably 20 ounces of philosophy purity cleanser.  I guess I'll take this to work for days when I need to wash my face for a mental re-set)
  • Dr. Brandt Flexitone BB Cream SPF 30 SS (I'm so pale that Starlooks' lightest stuff is too dark, so I'm expecting this to fail)
  • Jane Iredale Forever Pink Just Kissed Lip & Cheek Stain-SS (looking forward to this one just for the novelty)
  • Fekkai Advanced Brilliant Gloss Conditioner Deluxe Sample (eh.  I've got tons of masks and conditioning treatments already)
Depending on the spoiler for the star item next month, I might be bailing again.  I was hoping for something at least marginally better this month than last month (the only thing I have used was the hair slide.  I love that hair slide, though, and do plan on using last month's code on more of them), but this just gives me a meh.  It's not even a sad.

that bb cream was wayyyy dark on me too. and im like a light/medium I put it on my hand, spread it around and said NOPE! That's NOT going on my face.

My kit also says kit A. I really hope this chances once they ship our boxes. I also forgot to update my cc info on my second subscription and I just realized it and went to update and saw they cancelled it. I sent them an email so hopefully it's not too late. I like getting two boxes because I usually get two different boxes. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Has anyone had any trouble getting in with a waiting list?  My debit card expired and I decided not to send in my new info until I saw spoilers and then decided it wasn't for me because I just wasn't wowed by it this month, samples seem to be a little less exciting than previous months - to me, everyone's mileage varies.  I did get this email though - and was wondering . . . I have seen a few other people talking about canceling after this month so maybe it's just a reminder to get me to want to resub right away.

We've tried to reach you both by email and phone to let you know that your credit card couldn't be processed this month. Consequently, your Sample Society membership has been cancelled.
You can still sign on to your dashboard to view box contents from previous months. Also, the most recent gift code you received will be valid for 65 days after the shipment date of your last delivery.
If you'd like to provide updated credit card information, we're happy to renew your membership, provided that membership spots are available.

It's the "provided membership spots are available" that's giving me pause.  I usually love Sample Society but maybe I'm getting sampled out at the moment or maybe I'm just underwhelmed with this month's offerings and I was hoping to watch and see and if I see spoilers of it getting to be back to what it used to be then I'd like to resubscribe.  A skip a month option a la Beauty Army would be a beautiful thing for me but I understand why they don't offer it.  I suppose I'll just sit back and watch and perhaps resubscribe in a couple of months and hope I don't regret not resubbing sooner - maybe next months' box will be amazing!  For everyones' sakes, I hope so. If I see something I really want and there is a waiting list maybe I'll be able to eBay it from a subber who it doesn't work for.  Or, gasp, buy it full price.  Yikes, these beauty subs have spoiled me.

Back