Sample Society: May 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was pretty disappointed this month. The samples were so small, BB cream  is unusable on me and the value was not good at all. I am close to canceling, but I am holding out only to see if they make up for it this month.

Spoiler to show the size of the tiny items.

I have had it up to my ears in Alterna, quite possibly literally--last year I received no fewer than 10 Alterna samples from various subs, special edition boxes, and once as a freebie from a Beauty Bar (non-Sample Society) order. I'm not that crazy about them, especially some of the products made to enhance a "sleek" texture to the hair; they seem made for straight hair, and I have a curly perm so it always feels weighed down.

I was honestly ready to cancel until I saw the Jane Iredale; I've always liked that brand, and I love the lip-and-cheek stain! If you want a nice casual look for a weekend, and don't want to shlep a big bag, this really is a great product. The JI samples look small, but from past experience I think I get a devil of a lot of mileage out of them. Most of what I have received so far wears really well.

I received kit A and I can't say that I hated it, but it was a bit disappointing. I gave away the Alterna the same day and the rest I will try to use. (Like Bfloposolsa I keep getting Alterna from different boxes) I know it's impossible to love every month, but this one had such tiny samples and really was not impressive at all. No plans to cancel though, I will hang in a few more months and see how it goes.

April's was the only one that really sucked for me, and I've been in Sample Society from the first box--I actually have a better satisfaction record with them than most of the others I take (I also have Birchbox, Beauty Army which was a big letdown this month, and The All Natural Face, which so far has been worth every penny of my $15 per month; I canceled Ipsy, Glossybox and The Look Bag.) The $15 per month credit, excellent customer service and extremely fast shipping have made Sample Society worth it; April was the only month I haven't used the discount code.

I'm also pretty sick of alterna, I don't think I've actually liked anything I've received by them. This box ended up being a disappointment despite my initial excitement when I saw the spoilers. I do love Jane iredale though, so at least there's that!

I got my kit A yesterday...meh. I won't use 3 of the 5 items I got. Not a tanner, the BB cream was way too dark. I didn't even need to swatch to see that, lol. I just peeked under the edge of the foil seal and thought, "nope...not going to work." I have a Jane Iredale sample from Yuzen and while I do like it, I don't need two. I'm interested in trying out the yube (my goodness, it stinks!) and the alterna.

I know it's hit or miss when you get a mystery box. I'll hang in and see what happens in the future. Meanwhile, I'll either ebay or put these samples on the trade list.

Originally Posted by jesemiaud /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got my kit A yesterday...meh. I won't use 3 of the 5 items I got. Not a tanner, the BB cream was way too dark. I didn't even need to swatch to see that, lol. I just peeked under the edge of the foil seal and thought, "nope...not going to work." I have a Jane Iredale sample from Yuzen and while I do like it, I don't need two. I'm interested in trying out the yube (my goodness, it stinks!) and the alterna.

I know it's hit or miss when you get a mystery box. I'll hang in and see what happens in the future. Meanwhile, I'll either ebay or put these samples on the trade list.
The camphor scent of the YuBe fades very quickly. It truly is a miracle moisturizer!

Just got my box (kit A). I am not at all a fan of the Jane Iredale stuff. It has absolutely no color at all! It makes my lips look like they have colorless lip balm on, and it just makes my cheeks look like i rubbed a little vaseline on them. And the BB cream was waaaay too dark, but I swatched a little on my inner arm and it actually did blend into my skin tone, but who knows what it'll look like on my face. Super underwhelmed for sure. This is only my 3rd month with SS. Last month was pretty underwhelming too, although I did like most of the products. I'll give them 1, maybe 2 more months, then I'm out. 

I got my box 2 days ago, and haven't even opened it... I have no idea why I even resubscribed, lol 
stupidme.gif

Originally Posted by Sputinka /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Was the bb cream ridiculously dark on anyone else? it's supposed to be self adjusting, and it kind of is, but it really looked like i put self tanner on my face. 

It looked like it would be good for my skintone based on what came out of the tube but in a minute it went oompa loompa orange on me :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Self-adjusting BB cream!  Baaaahahahahaha!  I look like I rubbed dirt on my face.  Dirty is the new clean.

I got my box yesterday (Kit A) and feel that I won't use most of it.  The Jane Iredale lip balm was nicer than the lipstick I received in an earlier box, but it doesn't show up on my cheeks at all and doesn't have enough color for me to wear as a lipstick.  This is the sort of product I'll put on before I run to the gym in the morning so I don't look like death.  I'm an NW 25 and the BB cream is too dark for me.  I don't know what I'm supposed to do with the YuBe ointment, but I'm guessing it's like Vaseline?  I'll use the hair shine stuff but I've gotten at least four Alterna products in the last six months and I want to try something different.  I won't use the tanning stuff at all.  I'll probably pass it on to my babysitter.  Maybe I'll cancel for the summer and see what it looks like when I'm back from vacation.

Dear Sample Society, After a year of subscribing, it's time to part our ways. I feel like you have gone downhill with repeat and smaller samples. You used to be my favorite sub. What happened??!! The $15 coupons are just not worth it (I've only used them twice over a year). Although I do love my diptyque candle, now being used to hold my makeup brushes, so thank you for that. Its time to pull the plug and cancel. Sorry to admit this, but I'd much rather spend my $16.24 in the birchbox store or at Nordstrom's on items that won't automatically be transferred to my trade list and that have at least one use. Maybe I'll resubscribe in the future, but you will definitely need to bring in at least some variety. You've gotten boring. So boring. Sorry SS, I have to say goodbye for now. Hopefully we will reunite in the future. xo

I got my box (kit A) and I like it more than expected.  Yes, the samples are small but I like the products:

1)  Tan Towelette:  I've been curious about these but wasn't willing to plunk down $48 to buy a box since I wasn't sure if they would turn orange on me.  Glad to be able to try it- especially now that it's shorts season.

2)  Alterna Shine mist:  I love anything that will make my hair shinier so I'm looking forward to testing this out.

3)  Jane Iredale lip/cheek stain:  LOVE this!  The sample is super tiny but you only need a small amount (esp for the cheeks).  Left a flushed, pink shade on my cheeks- if you've tried Mac Pink Swoon- it is in that color range.  I have super dry skin so I liked using a tint bc powder blush can sometimes look extra dry.  Also, it did not leave a greasy feel which was unexpected.  As for my lips, it left a medium pink shade with a bit of shine.  

4)  YuBe-  I got a sample of this a while back and used this for my hands during winter.  The smell doesn't last long but the moisture does- I like it.  I'll be using the small sample as a cuticle cream right before bed.

5)  Dr. Brandt BB Cream: this actually was the most surprising sample.  It's a good size at .25oz.  I've tried boscia bb creams and the dior one and didn't like them much but I think it's because I have very dry skin and I find most foundations, etc. looking very chalky and unnatural on me.  This one still needed to be used over moisturizer but it wasn't as unnatural looking.  I've going to wear it some more and see how i feel about it but so far, I like it.  I'm close to a MAC NW25 in coloring and I did feel like this cream adjusted to my skin tone.  I did squeeze the tube to mix it together bc I read a review that it will separate.

I tried out the BB Cream. What a DISASTER.

I have fair skin. One size definitely DOES NOT fit all here. I tried to blend it in as well as I could, unfortunately, no amount of blending brought it closer to my skin tone. I think I'll stick to BB Creams for fair skin.

Having said that, the value of that sample is $9.75, which is a good deal for those who can actually use it.

Also, did anyone else think that Sample Society forgot the Jane Iredale Cheek & Lip Stain in their box? I was looking for it, took me a little bit to finally find it. 

Originally Posted by Cate88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I tried out the BB Cream. What a DISASTER.

I have fair skin. One size definitely DOES NOT fit all here. I tried to blend it in as well as I could, unfortunately, no amount of blending brought it closer to my skin tone. I think I'll stick to BB Creams for fair skin.

Having said that, the value of that sample is $9.75, which is a good deal for those who can actually use it.

Also, did anyone else think that Sample Society forgot the Jane Iredale Cheek & Lip Stain in their box? I was looking for it, took me a little bit to finally find it. 
I had the same problem with the BB cream.  It may work for me later in the season when I get a bit of sun on my face.  My Jane Iredale Lip & Cheek Stain was right on top, but I could see how it would get lost inside the box, with all that shredded paper.   This was my first Sample Society box, I can't say I was disappointed or real happy with what I received.  Going to give it a few more months to see how I like it.

Originally Posted by SonyaB /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had the same problem with the BB cream.  It may work for me later in the season when I get a bit of sun on my face.  My Jane Iredale Lip & Cheek Stain was right on top, but I could see how it would get lost inside the box, with all that shredded paper.   This was my first Sample Society box, I can't say I was disappointed or real happy with what I received.  Going to give it a few more months to see how I like it.

Definitely stick with it. I've been a member since December. I've never been disappointed. Even though I can't use some of the items in the box, it was still a good value. My other boxes have been home-runs. I also recommend this box to my friends when they ask me about which ones to subscribe to. I like to call it my gateway drug to subscription box services! ;P

Originally Posted by Cate88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I posted a review on my Tumblr of this box if anyone is interested:

Not allowed. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Post your blog link to your signature but be mindful of the forum rules.

I apologize in advance if I'm not allowed to post links to personal blogs in the forum!
I don't think you're supposed to, but you can put a link to your blog in your signature. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back