Sample Society May 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Birchbox (2)

Ipsy

Sample Society

Glossybox (2)

Beauty Box 5

I'm thinking that in June I'll just be back down to Birchbox and Ipsy. I'm running out of space. Plus, I just decided to go to Chicago in October for a wedding, so saving money would be a plus.

How is Ipsy these days? I canceled over a year ago because I'm not a big fan of drugstore stuff and I felt like that was all they sent. Has it changed?

I never tried beauty box 5 but the reviews have never jumped out at me, have you had good luck?

I ordered a glossy box this month because the Bergdorf deal and products were so tempting. Almost thinking I should order another!

This made me think of the tube of Juice Beauty Reflecting lip gloss so I dug it out again to see if I could tolerate the taste, smell & feel of it better now........ nope, it's still as nasty as I remembered it to be! It's a shame because it does have a nice color and shine to it.......

I have a Juice Beauty gloss which I was wearing a lot because it looks so pretty, but then I realized I was getting sick every time I wore it... So I had to stop.

I just used the Sonya Dakar Flash Facial and it was fun. I watched and felt my dead skin and other stuff ball up. After I rinsed my face, my skin was glowing and looked better than when I use my Clarisonic, if that is possible. My skin is a little dry but it looks clear and bright.

Wow - that sounds awesome! Will have to try that stuff this weekend!

Great overview, thanks!  This was my first box, so your post was really interesting to read.  

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm disappointed, I'll enjoy trying all of these products.  I was just a little taken aback at a) the fact that it was an all-skincare box (kit D),  and B) the prices of the full size products.  

I've been with Birchbox for about 8 months now and often buy the sampled products, so I'm not averse to paying for the good stuff.   These products are a pretty good jump up in price, though.  A $65 moisturizer, a $99 exfoliator.  They'd have to have near-miraculous results for me to spend that, even with the $15 off.   

I don't know, I'll stick with it awhile and see how the next few boxes look.   On the upside, as you said, where else do you get the chance to try products like this.   I would like to see more variety in box contents.   Skincare is nice, of course, but one of the things I like about Birchbox is the range of products you get - for example, last month's box had nail polish, shampoo, conditioner, eyeliner, and body wash.  I'm hoping to see more like that from SS.   Beautybar has a really good selection of products and brands, I hope to see more of them in the boxes.
I agree with you on the variety of products. I love that about birchbox. That said, I have to disagree with you on the product price issue. That's actually one of the things I love most about sample society. I love that they always over-deliver on value. My box this month (even if I wasn't crazy about it) had well over $100 worth of product in it. I love that Sample Society sends expensive products that I can try without the crazy full price cost. If I like the product, I'm fine spending money on it. But nothing is worse than shelling out a bunch of money for a product and then not liking it after a try or two.

How is Ipsy these days? I canceled over a year ago because I'm not a big fan of drugstore stuff and I felt like that was all they sent. Has it changed?

I never tried beauty box 5 but the reviews have never jumped out at me, have you had good luck?

I ordered a glossy box this month because the Bergdorf deal and products were so tempting. Almost thinking I should order another!
This will only be my third month getting Ipsy, but I'm really enjoying it. My original plan was to cancel after a couple of months, but I kind of think it's a keeper. While I'm definitely not a fan of everything in each bag, there's always at least one product that I absolutely love, and usually that's worth the $10 alone, if not more (like the $20 blue Chella liquid eyeliner or being able to try out a new beauty tool). I was worried about Ipsy being too trendy and making me feel my age, but I haven't really had that issue yet.

As for BB5, this will be my first month with them, there's a code out there for a free box, so I figured why not.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

As for Glossybox, you totally should get another! It will only be $15. So worth it, with the $25 gift card. I may have spent last night compiling a BG wish list on what to spend my $50 on.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I agree with you on the variety of products. I love that about birchbox. That said, I have to disagree with you on the product price issue. That's actually one of the things I love most about sample society. I love that they always over-deliver on value. My box this month (even if I wasn't crazy about it) had well over $100 worth of product in it. I love that Sample Society sends expensive products that I can try without the crazy full price cost. If I like the product, I'm fine spending money on it. But nothing is worse than shelling out a bunch of money for a product and then not liking it after a try or two.
Oh, no, I didn't mean to imply that there wasn't value in the boxes themselves, I'm sorry if it sounded that way.  Just the opportunity to try these brands is a hefty part of the value, and I like that the samples are large enough that you can actually use the products for awhile.  So yes, I will definitely get my $15 out of this box and then some.  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I meant that the prices of the full sizes of these products are a bit daunting, for me.  So I'm less likely to be purchasing the full sizes of items I try in this particular box.

It's that old "why do we subscribe" question.   Is it for the use of the things in the box, and the fun of trying new stuff? Or is it because we're looking for, say, a new skin care line and want to try various products before we spend the money on the full sizes.   If it's the first, SS is a huge win.    If it's the second, SS is a little less of a win if they're mostly showing me products that are out of my price range.

But I sort of fall into both categories, so I guess it's all good.   :lol:

I just used the Sonya Dakar Flash Facial and it was fun. I watched and felt my dead skin and other stuff ball up. After I rinsed my face, my skin was glowing and looked better than when I use my Clarisonic, if that is possible. My skin is a little dry but it looks clear and bright.
I just used this too! And I learned that I definitely neglect the sides of my face with my Clarisonic. That was rather disgusting (but totally fascinating).

I just used this too! And I learned that I definitely neglect the sides of my face with my Clarisonic. That was rather disgusting (but totally fascinating).
If you guys fall in love with the Sonia Dakar peel, this was just posted on gwpaddict.com:

FabFitFun coupon: They have released the first spoiler for the Summer Box. One of the products you will receive is a full size Sonya Dakar Flash Facial, a $95 value. This is a lifestyle subscription box similar to Pop Sugar but this one is quarterly instead of monthly. Each box costs $49.99 which includes shipping. The upcoming Summer Box (which will ship June 30) is said to be valued at over $175. Right now get $5 off your first box with code SUMMER5 at checkout.

I just received this in my box. Does it looked used or something?

idk.JPG

So was everyones Sonya Dakar Flash Facial nearly empty like that first photo showed?  I feel like even though I hate foils, its such a waste to put a tiny amount of product in an oversized container...

I'm glad to hear that it was amazing though.  Now I can't wait to try it.

As for nice make up, didn't we just get a butter London eyeliner last month? That was Sample Society, wasn't it? ( i think i have too many subs :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> )

I only started subbing in February so I dont have a super long term relationship with SS.  So far I'm very happy with it because I love skincare and I'm getting old so I like the anti aging stuff.  I do like that they include non beauty items occasionally like the illume candle the other month.  And I like that they are expensive brands.  

I will agree however that for awhile there was WAY too much hair stuff!  The good thing is that Alterna is really easy to swap or sell because people love it.

And I haven't hit brand overload yet because I've not been with them for long.  My opinion may change.  For now though, I love Sample Society better than Birchbox.

I'm still waiting on my box, but. . . I can't wait to try the flash facial.  In case you haven't seen a spoiler, the summer Fab Fit Fun box will have a full size Sonya Dakar Flash Facial ($95 value).  I was about the cancel my FFF box and then, that . . .

So was everyones Sonya Dakar Flash Facial nearly empty like that first photo showed?  I feel like even though I hate foils, its such a waste to put a tiny amount of product in an oversized container...I'm glad to hear that it was amazing though.  Now I can't wait to try it.
I tried mine today, and it really only seemed to be about 30% full. I do love it, though. Thanks to @@Sadejane for mentioning the FabFitFun box. Having cancelled a bunch of subs this month, I might try that one just once to get this product. I really shouldn't, but I might.

Has anyone else seen the reviews on Sonya Dakar's spa (someone posted a like in the FFF Summer forum)...they are AWFUL...she sounds horrible..a lot of complaints about her yelling at staff and customers, providing services not asked for and demanding payment for them and MAJORLY pushing clients to buy buy buy hundred and thousands of dollars worth of her products.  It really makes me NOT want to use or purchase anything in which she may benefit financially from, especially after reading those reviews and knowing she would treat me like dirt personally because I am not a celebrity or filthy rich.  I wouldn't even doubt that she made sure these tubes just might not have the full amount in them! It worked, but I can definitely live without it!

I tried mine today, and it really only seemed to be about 30% full. I do love it, though. Thanks to @@Sadejane for mentioning the FabFitFun box. Having cancelled a bunch of subs this month, I might try that one just once to get this product. I really shouldn't, but I might.
Mine was completely full, if I squeezed at all the product came out.  I was expecting it to be at least a little empty so I kind of made a mess :\  

Has anyone else seen the reviews on Sonya Dakar's spa (someone posted a like in the FFF Summer forum)...they are AWFUL...she sounds horrible..a lot of complaints about her yelling at staff and customers, providing services not asked for and demanding payment for them and MAJORLY pushing clients to buy buy buy hundred and thousands of dollars worth of her products.  It really makes me NOT want to use or purchase anything in which she may benefit financially from, especially after reading those reviews and knowing she would treat me like dirt personally because I am not a celebrity or filthy rich.  I wouldn't even doubt that she made sure these tubes just might not have the full amount in them! It worked, but I can definitely live without it!
I've been stalking that thread because I was thinking about springing for the FFF box if I like the exfoliant, but...wow. The Yelp page includes a 1.5-star rating from 36 reviews...but if you scroll to the bottom of the page and click "104 other reviews that are not currently recommended," there's another 100 1-star reviews that have been flagged as inappropriate, presumably by someone at Sonya Dakar. They all tell basically the same story, and it reads like something on TMZ. I never thought facials could be such a source of contention. I definitely recommend nuking some popcorn and checking it out. 

vetted reviews:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/sonya-dakar-skin-clinic-beverly-hills-2

all reviews:

http://www.yelp.com/not_recommended_reviews/bTf6Az7rjVltYzsA1GGRog

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been stalking that thread because I was thinking about springing for the FFF box if I like the exfoliant, but...wow. The Yelp page includes a 1.5-star rating from 36 reviews...but if you scroll to the bottom of the page and click "104 other reviews that are not currently recommended," there's another 100 1-star reviews that have been flagged as inappropriate, presumably by someone at Sonya Dakar. They all tell basically the same story, and it reads like something on TMZ. I never thought facials could be such a source of contention. I definitely recommend nuking some popcorn and checking it out. 

vetted reviews:

all reviews:

I did this based on something someone said in the fabfitfun forums.  Wow.  How is she still in business??!  She has an F rating on the Better Business Bureau!

I'm kind of a wimp so I will never set foot in her door just to be safe.

The Flash Facial is supposed to be amazing and the good thing is that if it is in a FabFitFun box, it's quite possible they got it for free.  Not paying that horrible woman seems to be really hard to do, though...

I just read some of that stuff, too--wow! Totally crazy. Why do all those celebrities endorse her, then? I can't believe all those poor people who wrote those reviews paid her thousands of dollars at her spa. I feel less guilty about my monthly beauty box subscription expenses! At least I've never been bullied by Sonya Dakar into spending $1,000 on a facial! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I just read some of that stuff, too--wow! Totally crazy. Why do all those celebrities endorse her, then? I can't believe all those poor people who wrote those reviews paid her thousands of dollars at her spa. I feel less guilty about my monthly beauty box subscription expenses! At least I've never been bullied by Sonya Dakar into spending $1,000 on a facial! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I was reading one of them and I'm like OMG $1200 for a FACIAL!?!?  And then she goes on to say that she has really great skin anyway...   I suppose if you have a lot of money, you gotta spend it somehow, right?

However it did make me feel quite good about my subscription box spending :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Interesting...it looks like both Sonya Dakar and Sonia Dakar's Clinic are in bankruptcy:

http://blogs.wsj.com/bankruptcy/2012/05/02/sonya-dakars-famed-hollywood-spa-enters-chapter-11/

http://blogs.wsj.com/bankruptcy/2012/05/03/sonya-dakar-follows-her-clinic-into-bankruptcy/

It also sounds like she's involved in a divorce with her husband, and another lawsuit with her son/husband over the rights to use the "Sonya Dakar" name on products. It also sounds like the products she's selling at her spa aren't the same ones that are being sold under her name at Barney's. So, it's possible that buying this product wouldn't be supporting Sonya Dakar at all, but her son and ex-husband instead. I can't figure out what the outcome was. It sounds like they were both Sonya and her ex were using the Sonya Dakar trademark at some point, if not presently.

Interesting...it looks like both Sonya Dakar and Sonia Dakar's Clinic are in bankruptcy:

http://blogs.wsj.com/bankruptcy/2012/05/02/sonya-dakars-famed-hollywood-spa-enters-chapter-11/

http://blogs.wsj.com/bankruptcy/2012/05/03/sonya-dakar-follows-her-clinic-into-bankruptcy/

It also sounds like she's involved in a divorce with her husband, and another lawsuit with her son/husband over the rights to use the "Sonya Dakar" name on products. It also sounds like the products she's selling at her spa aren't the same ones that are being sold under her name at Barney's. So, it's possible that buying this product wouldn't be supporting Sonya Dakar at all, but her son and ex-husband instead. I can't figure out what the outcome was. It sounds like they were both Sonya and her ex were using the Sonya Dakar trademark at some point, if not presently.

I was reading one of them and I'm like OMG $1200 for a FACIAL!?!?  And then she goes on to say that she has really great skin anyway...   I suppose if you have a lot of money, you gotta spend it somehow, right?

However it did make me feel quite good about my subscription box spending :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I did this based on something someone said in the fabfitfun forums.  Wow.  How is she still in business??!  She has an F rating on the Better Business Bureau!

I'm kind of a wimp so I will never set foot in her door just to be safe.

The Flash Facial is supposed to be amazing and the good thing is that if it is in a FabFitFun box, it's quite possible they got it for free.  Not paying that horrible woman seems to be really hard to do, though...

vetted reviews:

all reviews:

All this makes me not even want to try the sample so that I don't like it and want to buy it. She sounds like a horrible person.

Ugh I hate that Juice Beauty cc cream. It's too dark for me plus it's oily and has a strong smell. I'm interested in the other product though.
I was looking forward to trying the Juice CC cream, but boy, were you right.   It's awful.  Greasy, and somehow managed to make my face look dirty.    The color was OK for me and it seemed to blend well, but it just accentuated every single pore, line and discoloration on my face.  Ugh.  

Now I need to go try that Sonya Dakar facial so I can scrub every trace of this stuff off my face......   :blink:

All this makes me not even want to try the sample so that I don't like it and want to buy it. She sounds like a horrible person.
Then whatever you do, don't try it. I almost wish I hadn't.  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> It's kind of amazing. I want to buy it.  And after reading the Yelp reviews linked above, I don't want to give this horrible woman a dime of my money.

What I said before about not spending $99 on a facial unless it has near-miraculous results?  Yeah.  It has near-miraculous results.  I'm not exaggerating at all when I say it makes my 55 year old skin look 10 years younger.  Maybe more.

Sigh. $99.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then whatever you do, don't try it. I almost wish I hadn't.  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> It's kind of amazing. I want to buy it.  And after reading the Yelp reviews linked above, I don't want to give this horrible woman a dime of my money.

What I said before about not spending $99 on a facial unless it has near-miraculous results?  Yeah.  It has near-miraculous results.  I'm not exaggerating at all when I say it makes my 55 year old skin look 10 years younger.  Maybe more.

Sigh. $99.
Hmmm...not what I was hoping to hear... :rotfl:  

I'm guessing once the FabFitFun boxes ship, the subscribers who don't like exfoliators will list them on eBay at a steep discount.

Back