Sample Society: November 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by missionista /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi Everyone. I've been a Birchbox subscriber for a year, and my subscription is about to end.  I'm debating whether to keep it  or whether to go with Sample Society.  I can't do both--it has to be one or the other.  Anyone on here want to weigh in on the pros/cons of SS vs BB?  Thanks!
If you are on a budget and can only afford one or the other, I would suggest keeping Birchbox, but doing a monthly subscription so you can cancel anytime. I've never been disappointed by a Birchbox to the point that I've thought it wasn't worth at least $10. I've received about 9 boxes so far so not as many as some long time subscribers, but like I said out of 9 boxes I haven't been disappointed. I've gotten quite a few full size products that last forever. And I've also gotten so many great deals using my points. I've gotten 3 Sample Society boxes so far and two of them have been pretty good. They are similar to MyGlam in that everyone receives the same thing with some variation to color, scent, etc. Their products are much more expensive generally than Birchbox so if you decide to purchase a full size it will cost you more. I've also noticed that higher-end products *usually* means smaller sample size. It all depends on what you want: if you want a $10 grab-bag of affordable and some highend and full size products, stay with BB; if you want to pay more each month and get higher end samples I would personally go with Glossybox over Sample Society because Glossybox's samples are huge, they include a great balance of different types of products, and there's almost always at least one full size item; if you're into trendy/youthful makeup go with Ipsy (MyGlam) because they send mostly makeup and polish and it comes in a cute bag for just $10. I'm personally not a big fan of Sample Society compared to others because I just haven't been wow'ed by them yet. Oh, and if you want the option of choosing your own samples, go to Beauty Army for only $12. If I could only pick one subscription to keep, it would without a doubt be Glossybox. Hope this helps you somewhat.

Originally Posted by Dalylah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I significantly prefer SS. I was disappointed in almost all of my BBs. Too many foil packets, self tanners and items I couldn't use. On the other hand SS has consistently sent me great products and they have amazing customer service. If I were trying to choose I would look at the boxes that SS has sent out the last few months and see if it is something you are interested in. That's really the best way to tell. If you find that neither is pleasing to you might I suggest Starbox or Ipsy, both of which are getting great reviews.
I got the Tantasia in my first SS Box, I was so disappointed lol. I do agree that their CS is on point.

Originally Posted by katie danielle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you are on a budget and can only afford one or the other, I would suggest keeping Birchbox, but doing a monthly subscription so you can cancel anytime. I've never been disappointed by a Birchbox to the point that I've thought it wasn't worth at least $10. I've received about 9 boxes so far so not as many as some long time subscribers, but like I said out of 9 boxes I haven't been disappointed. I've gotten quite a few full size products that last forever. And I've also gotten so many great deals using my points. I've gotten 3 Sample Society boxes so far and two of them have been pretty good. They are similar to MyGlam in that everyone receives the same thing with some variation to color, scent, etc. Their products are much more expensive generally than Birchbox so if you decide to purchase a full size it will cost you more. I've also noticed that higher-end products *usually* means smaller sample size. It all depends on what you want: if you want a $10 grab-bag of affordable and some highend and full size products, stay with BB; if you want to pay more each month and get higher end samples I would personally go with Glossybox over Sample Society because Glossybox's samples are huge, they include a great balance of different types of products, and there's almost always at least one full size item; if you're into trendy/youthful makeup go with Ipsy (MyGlam) because they send mostly makeup and polish and it comes in a cute bag for just $10. I'm personally not a big fan of Sample Society compared to others because I just haven't been wow'ed by them yet. Oh, and if you want the option of choosing your own samples, go to Beauty Army for only $12. If I could only pick one subscription to keep, it would without a doubt be Glossybox. Hope this helps you somewhat.
She already had BB so she knows what she is getting with them. Personally BB is one big loss for me. Their one redeeming quality is the points system but even that wasn't enough to keep me. I had many boxes and use very little of what was given.

Glossybox does indeed have great boxes usually but their customer service is a nightmare. I ended up with multiple credit card charges the last month I had it and it took a lot of hounding them to get my refund. I wish they were a bit more stable as far as billing and I would be all over this one.

Ipsy (formerly MyGlam) is great, no customer service problems, nice mixture of products.

Starbox is great if you are looking for primarily makeup products. You get full sized products with them almost always. Good quality, good customer service.

Like I said before, look in the threads. See what personally suits you the best.

hi all, new poster here - i love SS, much better than the other boxes.  this is the only one cosmetic-wise that i have kept going.  i am wondering - sine i already subscribe to allure - i just got a W subscription maybe 2 months ago randomly - do you think that is the replacement?

Originally Posted by missionista /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi Everyone. I've been a Birchbox subscriber for a year, and my subscription is about to end.  I'm debating whether to keep it  or whether to go with Sample Society.  I can't do both--it has to be one or the other.  Anyone on here want to weigh in on the pros/cons of SS vs BB?  Thanks!
You should look at some of the unboxing videos on You Tube.  Everyone gets the same Sample Society box, so you could see several months without spending a lot of time.

Originally Posted by beautymadn3ss /img/forum/go_quote.gif

after a lot of shea butter they are better now so I might give it a go today! and Purity is great, it even removes eye make up without irritating my eyes, I've heard Cetaphil is pretty good, I might give it a try cuz the price is great! 
I just tried the Purity today because it came with my Clarisonic.   As you say, it does remove everything, even eye makeup.  I usually use Avalon Organics CoQ10 Repair Cleansing Milk that I buy for around 7.00 at Whole Foods.  It's a good cleanser also, and leaves my skin feeling moisturized as well as clean and its gentle.  I'm now 52 and need that extra moisturization. 

I tried Cetaphil years ago, and I didnt think it did that great a job of removing makeup, but I have heard others rave about it, and I know a lot of dermatologists recommend it.  I did an internship in dermatology, and aside from Retin-A, Cetaphil was the probably the one product the dermatologists recommended the most.

Originally Posted by marybbryant /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just tried the Purity today because it came with my Clarisonic.   As you say, it does remove everything, even eye makeup.  I usually use Avalon Organics CoQ10 Repair Cleansing Milk that I buy for around 7.00 at Whole Foods.  It's a good cleanser also, and leaves my skin feeling moisturized as well as clean and its gentle.  I'm now 52 and need that extra moisturization. 

I tried Cetaphil years ago, and I didnt think it did that great a job of removing makeup, but I have heard others rave about it, and I know a lot of dermatologists recommend it.  I did an internship in dermatology, and aside from Retin-A, Cetaphil was the probably the one product the dermatologists recommended the most.
Ya I love Purity a lot, I'm not using it right now cuz I still have some clinique cleanser left, I haven't tried Cetaphil, I don't really trust drugstore stuff much :S how cool you got to do a dermatology internship!I've always been super interested in  it, even thought about going for it, but then I realized I'd have to see all the gross skin conditions and stuff and just couldn't do it XD and I love Retin-A, I usually do it once a month, but right now I'm doing it like 2-3 times a week cuz I've been breaking out for some reason. Probably when I get older I might do it more.

Originally Posted by marybbryant /img/forum/go_quote.gif

so true! just had a derm appointment last week and the doc prescribed Retin-A and recommended Cetaphil (but i think i'll try Fresh Soy cleanser instead).

I was intrigued with the Dermalogica Precleanse that we got in our box this month as I've never used anything like it before.  It smelled heavenly and made my skin feel great after using it 2 nights in a row.  Sadly, the next morning, I woke up with an epic breakout.  I've honestly never broken out so bad at one time - and I have incredibly acne-prone skin.  I had huge cystic pimples along my jaw line, cheeks, and chin.  My forehead is covered in bumps.  The precleanse was the only thing different that I had used in my routine.  Did anybody else have this problem?  I'm sad about it as I really did like it. 

Originally Posted by Wida /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was intrigued with the Dermalogica Precleanse that we got in our box this month as I've never used anything like it before.  It smelled heavenly and made my skin feel great after using it 2 nights in a row.  Sadly, the next morning, I woke up with an epic breakout.  I've honestly never broken out so bad at one time - and I have incredibly acne-prone skin.  I had huge cystic pimples along my jaw line, cheeks, and chin.  My forehead is covered in bumps.  The precleanse was the only thing different that I had used in my routine.  Did anybody else have this problem?  I'm sad about it as I really did like it. 

.. I am now... scared to even try...

I'm sorry!  I didn't mean to scare you.  I did see that there were others earlier in this thread that loved it - I was just wondering if I'm alone in my reaction to it. 

I used it yesterday with no problem. I wasn't sure I liked how it felt at first, but my skin looked great after. I love dermalogica products. My local beauty school uses dermalogica products for their student facials and always give out samples.

precleanse actually made my acne less severe... 0.o thats weird...

I'm sorry!  I didn't mean to scare you.  I did see that there were others earlier in this thread that loved it - I was just wondering if I'm alone in my reaction to it. 
i have acne prone skin, cystic acne, but haven't had issues with the precleanse.

I wonder if I had the same sensitivity - I used it a few times and had (have) a horrendous breakout on my jawline - the ones that start as itchy bumps and then turn into big zits.  A weird place for me and something that hasn't really happened to me in a loooong time.  

Loved this box! Review on the blog if you haven't checked it out - I'm guessing around $25 value...

I love oil cleansers and while the sample this month made me quite happy, I think it smells a little funky. That's just a personal thing, since I'm still happy to use it up lol.

I didn't get the Lancome make up remover :S I got a Sephora one, dunno if same thing will happen to u too, hope not :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I think I might go back and grab another It Kit soon XD 
I also got the Sephora makeup remover too.. will probably buy again for Kit #3 and the UD setting spray
I ordered online and I got all of the listed large products, including the Lancôme eye makeup remover. I have the sephora one from the holiday prep kits last year, I hoard minis for travel, so yay, it works awesome. However I got different perfume samples, and ended up with 3 kendo samples. With horrible applicators, ugh it smells alright though. I think this Christmas I want the lady gaga perfume, I am in serious love with this scent, and I am totally not a perfume person. I have gone through 3 samples already. Thankfull Nordics lets you make your own samples, so after I use dthe actual packaged sample I got handed in Bloomingdales, I was able to make two more. It's sooo amazing.. (alas I digress) The kendo oil was pretty okay. I also got the luminous shine mist in my glossybox, and they seem to be pretty similar, I will have to looks it up to see what the differences between the two are

Back