Sample Society: November 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, I didn't read through all the prior posts, but are the IT kits from Sample Society, or are they the Sephora gifts?  Those sound much better than the box I got.  I love St. Tropez & Nars

Originally Posted by Hellocat4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I received mine yesterday and was not impressed at all, for the first time.  This has always been my favorite sub up until this last box.  I suppose that is because I have already received every one of the products (except the lipstick) in various sample boxes over the last year. 

I wrote off the lipstick due to the color, but after reading some of your posts, I will definitely have to give it a whirl.  It might turn out very pretty on me.
What color did you get?

The Alterna Dry Oil spray made my hair super greasy and gross. I use hair oils all of the time and my hair absorbs them well, but this stuff was really greasy and weighed my hair down.

I posted photos of my box and a review on my blog :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by katie danielle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Isn't there an Allure magazine subscription that is supposed to go along with the Sample Society boxes? Or do they mean that mini magazine they put in with the boxes? I only got that once this month, not last month.
You should get an actual Allure magazine subscription- It seems the sub takes a few months to kick in. If you're worried about it, contact Conde Nast- BeautyBar.com doesn't handle any of the magazine problems.

And the "magazine" in the boxes looked MUCH different this month than in past months- I actually bothered to read it this time around. So if you didn't get one last month, you weren't missing much ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Hellocat4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sorry, I didn't read through all the prior posts, but are the IT kits from Sample Society, or are they the Sephora gifts?  Those sound much better than the box I got.  I love St. Tropez & Nars
The It Kits were through Sephora and still available (I think) when you make a $25 online purchase :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I got the pink color no. 29. Probably because I'm blonde. I will try the pre-cleanse this morning too.

that kinda scared me about that lip stick :S I woke up today and yawned while my mouth was dry and the skin split on the side :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> don't want any more of that happening O.O Btw I'll probably switch to purity when I run out of my clinique cleanser, my bf's mom has it and I've used it a couple of times, it's so amazing :3 I love it!
I would wait until your lips are healed before using the lipstick. Mine were peeling before I used it. It would probably be ok when they're healthy.

I've never used the Purity but I buy it as a gift. I know everyone raves about it, maybe I'm missing out! I just use Cetaphil or Cerave because they're cheaper.

Just some advice for everyone: if you got that email from Beauty bar offering a free Baublebar bracelet and Jane Iredale mascara with purchase, you need to enter the codes separately. Enter the BBMASCARA first and it will apply, then enter the BAUBLEGIFT code. I was entering them at the same time and they showed as invalid. I had to call them to find out how to do it. Duh.

after a lot of shea butter they are better now so I might give it a go today! and Purity is great, it even removes eye make up without irritating my eyes, I've heard Cetaphil is pretty good, I might give it a try cuz the price is great! 

I went to Sephora yesterday and picked up a Make Up Forever foundation and kinda regret getting something @the physical store cuz I don't get samples or the It Kit :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
When I buy something at the store they always show me a binder (not full of women
wacko.gif
) that has samples in it and they offer me some according to how much I spent. Not sure if this is general policy. They'll always make up some little samples of cosmetics, skincare and perfume if you ask. 

So I got my box today, got the #29 pink satin lipstick, I have to say I normally wouldn't wear pink ( I am redheaded & fair skinned) and I normally don't like lipstick at all, but I tried this one and not anly is the color great I Love the texture, and the no taste, no smell, and it doesn't seem to come off all over my coffee cup like others do! I may use my discount code this month and buy this one!

Anyone else not thinking they will like it should at least give it a try!
yess.gif

Originally Posted by cheetahchirps /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When I buy something at the store they always show me a binder (not full of women
wacko.gif
) that has samples in it and they offer me some according to how much I spent. Not sure if this is general policy. They'll always make up some little samples of cosmetics, skincare and perfume if you ask. 
awe I didnt know I had to ask em for samples :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> they should know always to give samples! cuz samples rock :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I will next time I guess

I got my box yesterday, and I have really like everything in it.  The lipstick was 42(?) and a great color, but a bad formula for me.  Really super Waxy.  But I dislike the sugar fresh stuff, so I am a weirdo.

The perfume, is amazing.  I have not really found anything that I have wanted to buy yet until this perfume. I love perfume, but I really haven't bought any in a long time, because they all smell so similar.  At first it smells like powder and something warm.  And it's a little strong.  Then it dies down and has this candy smell.  Right now, at 3.5 hours post application, it smells like powder, with something a little more esoteric.  I'm super really in love with this.  

Originally Posted by Meghan Coulter /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got my box yesterday, and I have really like everything in it.  The lipstick was 42(?) and a great color, but a bad formula for me.  Really super Waxy.  But I dislike the sugar fresh stuff, so I am a weirdo.

The perfume, is amazing.  I have not really found anything that I have wanted to buy yet until this perfume. I love perfume, but I really haven't bought any in a long time, because they all smell so similar.  At first it smells like powder and something warm.  And it's a little strong.  Then it dies down and has this candy smell.  Right now, at 3.5 hours post application, it smells like powder, with something a little more esoteric.  I'm super really in love with this.  
Let me know if you'd like my perfume -- I tend to like to smell like a grapefruit, so this sort of exotic, sultry scent isn't really for me.  ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I'm new to the site, but I could point you towards my eBay feedback.

Originally Posted by Meghan Coulter /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I really love the perfume too.  I'm debating buying a full size.

The powdery scent is overwhelming any other scents for me. I was excited to get another scent from this company because I loved the fig scent so much. This one is going on the swap for sure.

Hi Everyone. I've been a Birchbox subscriber for a year, and my subscription is about to end.  I'm debating whether to keep it  or whether to go with Sample Society.  I can't do both--it has to be one or the other.  Anyone on here want to weigh in on the pros/cons of SS vs BB?  Thanks!

Originally Posted by missionista /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi Everyone. I've been a Birchbox subscriber for a year, and my subscription is about to end.  I'm debating whether to keep it  or whether to go with Sample Society.  I can't do both--it has to be one or the other.  Anyone on here want to weigh in on the pros/cons of SS vs BB?  Thanks!
I significantly prefer SS. I was disappointed in almost all of my BBs. Too many foil packets, self tanners and items I couldn't use. On the other hand SS has consistently sent me great products and they have amazing customer service. If I were trying to choose I would look at the boxes that SS has sent out the last few months and see if it is something you are interested in. That's really the best way to tell. If you find that neither is pleasing to you might I suggest Starbox or Ipsy, both of which are getting great reviews.

I'm in love with the perfume. I don't wear perfume much so I didn't think much about it.  Tried the sample on a lark and LOVE it so much! Box sub success - SS introduced me to something I'd never have tried on my own.

Back