Sample Society: November 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Beautybar.. wish they'd do another.
Same here! Mystery bags aka grab bags are the best! Did you sign up for the PopSugar Luxury box btw? I know it has a 100 dollars price tag, but it sounds like a very decadent mystery bag to me!

Same here! Mystery bags aka grab bags are the best! Did you sign up for the PopSugar Luxury box btw? I know it has a 100 dollars price tag, but it sounds like a very decadent mystery bag to me!
Not at all.. I don't sub to Pop Sugar, but at $100, I'd rather just buy something for myself. I'm fine blowing up to $25 for a grab bag, but $100 is too much, IMO. I've done mystery bags from other companies, but I liked my BeautyBar one best.

Beautybar.. wish they'd do another.
I don't remember seeing the mystery bag from BeautyBar. What was in them?

Mine came today:

I got the box with 42 brick and I dislike it intensely. The Dermalogica is interesting because I get lazy about washing my face at night when I just wear sunscreen during the day. I've gotten those hand cream tubes for free before so not impressed but it is good for the winter. I think I've been able to try almost every Alterna Bamboo product from samples and this one is new to me so that's good. I loved the Diptyque sample from last month (Tam Dao) but this one is fairly mundane. Someone mentioned that it resembles Twight Woods which I like, so I'll give it a chance. Even though this is the one sampler that I manage to keep unspoiled, the lipstick really brought down the happy surprise factor for me. I would have loved Pink Satin.  

I do not understand the concept of a "precleanse".  To me it makes about as much sense as a product designed to clean the inside of my dishwasher or my washing machine. 

Not at all.. I don't sub to Pop Sugar, but at $100, I'd rather just buy something for myself. I'm fine blowing up to $25 for a grab bag, but $100 is too much, IMO. I've done mystery bags from other companies, but I liked my BeautyBar one best.
Are the BeautyBar mystery bags $25?  If anyone has bought one, are they worth it?

Got my first box yesterday. I was really impressed and I like that they have a little of everything instead of all makeup etc. Did not care for the perfume but everything else made me happy!

The Murad cleanser was actually in a previous SS box though--so you almost had it right. I keep going back and forth on the Sephora It Kit--it's such a good deal. Haven't caved yet!
I did today. I especially wanted that Nars lip pencil in the Classic set and also got the 500 point Nars reward since I loved the last one I got. So two lip pencils in two nice kits, a Philosophy skincare set that I would have bought as a Christmas present present anyway (although it was listed as free shipping in a special section but I had to make a $5 purchase to bring it up to $50, didn't quite understand that) free Sephora tote, and 3 samples (the Kate Sommerville showed up for a few moments but I wasn't able to add it) for $51 and 4% ebates. I'm happy. And one of my BBs should arrive today. Goodies galore! 

I do not understand the concept of a "precleanse". To me it makes about as much sense as a product designed to clean the inside of my dishwasher or my washing machine.
I know.
rolleyes.gif
 I guess the idea is to remove the oily products or more stubborn shades without irritating or pulling the skin. They do give you a foil of the regular cleanser to use afterwards. I'm not sold on Dermalogica anyway.

If a cleanser can't get that done on its own, it's time for a different cleanser IMO!

I always use a separate eye makeup remover, but the rest of my makeup needs to come off in one step.

Originally Posted by LisaLeah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I totally agree about the #42 lipstick. It's heavenly. I didn't think i would like it but I love! Will order full size for sure!

And I got the Sephora It Kit 2 too!
I know, I will probably grab full size too! and I'm getting my It Kit 2 today I'm waiting by the window for the UPS truck!

Originally Posted by cheetahchirps /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I did today. I especially wanted that Nars lip pencil in the Classic set and also got the 500 point Nars reward since I loved the last one I got. So two lip pencils in two nice kits, a Philosophy skincare set that I would have bought as a Christmas present present anyway (although it was listed as free shipping in a special section but I had to make a $5 purchase to bring it up to $50, didn't quite understand that) free Sephora tote, and 3 samples (the Kate Sommerville showed up for a few moments but I wasn't able to add it) for $51 and 4% ebates. I'm happy. And one of my BBs should arrive today. Goodies galore! 
wait did u get the gift skincare set? cuz I didn't think u could get the philosophy gift and the it kit O.O 

I'm thinking the precleanse is like a makeup remover.  I use an oil based makeup remover and then my regular cleanser after that.  So I'm thinking it will be like that?

I'm thinking the precleanse is like a makeup remover.  I use an oil based makeup remover and then my regular cleanser after that.  So I'm thinking it will be like that?
Those are my thoughts. I use a Philosophy oil cleanser to take off makeup, then a cream cleanser afterward. I have used several different cleansers that didn't pull off all my makeup and doing this regimen insures everything comes off.

wait did u get the gift skincare set? cuz I didn't think u could get the philosophy gift and the it kit O.O
No, I bought the Philosophy Purity Made Simple set for $45. You can only enter one code so I chose the ItKit. I couldn't use my VIB 20% off discount either but I think I'll wait for the $15 off next month.

Also, the 42 lip color grew on me as it wore off, but now my lips are as sore as they get in the middle of winter. I had to do an emergency intervention with Aquaphor. I think I'll stay away from that sample.

OK now I get it XD I was like: omg I want to do that too! XD and that kinda scared me about that lip stick :S I woke up today and yawned while my mouth was dry and the skin split on the side :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> don't want any more of that happening O.O  Btw I'll probably switch to purity when I run out of my clinique cleanser, my bf's mom has it and I've used it a couple of times, it's so amazing :3 I love it!

Originally Posted by StillPooh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If a cleanser can't get that done on its own, it's time for a different cleanser IMO!

I always use a separate eye makeup remover, but the rest of my makeup needs to come off in one step.
i use makeup wipes before i use my cleanser just because i put so much stuff on my face it takes a lot of effort to get it off.

Those are my thoughts. I use a Philosophy oil cleanser to take off makeup, then a cream cleanser afterward. I have used several different cleansers that didn't pull off all my makeup and doing this regimen insures everything comes off.
I wash my face twice to remove all my makeup so I am excited to try the cleansing oil.

I wash my face twice to remove all my makeup so I am excited to try the cleansing oil.
I love it, because you apply the oil when your face is dry and splash with water, making it emulsify. Rinse off, then proceed to wash with regular cleanser. I like towelettes, but find they irritate and can be abrasive to my skin with daily use.

Oh man- I LOVE the precleanse. I also thought it was a weird step to add to the face cleaning process, but I think it's totally worth it. Plus it smells awesome.

Not so thrilled with my Pink Satin lipstick sample- I hate that companies equate blonde hair/ fair skin with me wanting cotton candy pink lipstick samples :/ 

Also not over the moon about the L'Occitane- Great product, but I've never really liked the smell of it. Plus this particular sample seems like it gets around a lot. I would love to see a L'Occitane sample that was something other than this hand cream.

Love the Diptyque- Not my favorite fragrance ever, but I will enjoy using the sample to change up my usual fragrance routine.

Haven't tried the hair oil yet, but I'm intrigued- Nice to see a hair oil in a spray. Most of the samples I get are in bottles that I end up getting EVERYwhere ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Overall, an okay box for me. Way better than last month, but still nothing to write home about.

Question- Do we think SS took our beauty profiles into consideration when sending out the lipstick samples? Just curious if it was random (like the Longo pencil) or if they actually did try to pair people with appropriate colors.

The precleanse made my skin feel amazing! My cleanser (I currently use the 3 Lab from my last Beautyfix - which I LOVE) already makes my skin feel great, but adding this precleanse made my skin feel perfect. I am definitely thinking about purchasing it. 

Latest posts

Back