Sample Society November 2013 (Spoilers!)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by biskies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got it. The funny thing is that I do reuse a certain combination of email/password on a lot of sites -- but not on BeautyBar. That combo is used solely on that site due to its character requirements.
It just worries me because, if there was a certain amount of emails/passwords that were compromised (passwords and payment information should be the most protected information), it causes me to lose a bit of the security I felt in a company.

Now I have to choose between...do I want to keep getting my beauty stuff every month or get angry about a possible security breech?  Decisions, decisions...

It happens a LOT though, with a lot of companies...I got a similar message today from soap.com, and countless other companies in the past...it's just the kind of thing that happens a LOT these days...I wouldn't stop doing business with a company because it happened. Maybe if it happened with the same company repeatedly, but not once.

Quote: Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  It happens a LOT though, with a lot of companies...I got a similar message today from soap.com, and countless other companies in the past...it's just the kind of thing that happens a LOT these days...I wouldn't stop doing business with a company because it happened. Maybe if it happened with the same company repeatedly, but not once.
Yeah, with the amount of hacker power going after everything up to and including banks, this is not an unusual occurrence.  I can usually tell when there's about to be a new round of compromised passwords and banking information worldwide because our computers at work slow down to a crawl.  Unless it's month-end.  That's a whole separate bowl of ick.  But it happens all the time, and you're just not usually alerted to it.  What *is* unusual is the exact message that was sent (emphasis mine):  

Quote:  At Beautybar.com we take your security and privacy very seriously. As part of our routine monitoring, we discovered a list of email address and password sets posted online. While the list was not Beautybar.com-related, we know that many customers reuse their passwords on several websites.
Actually, rereading that message, I'm starting to think that Beauty Bar didn't connect passwords to email addresses.  They just stumbled across a list of email addresses and passwords that included a lot of email addresses for their customers and took this action.  Password information for *anything* could be on there.

Quote: Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with this 100%.  My "on the fence" attitude probably has more to do with the fact that I've only been with Sample Society since October.  I think it's a lot easier to look at it in that way when you've belonged to a site for 1+ year than it is when you've been a member for 45 days, you know?  Soap.com is owned under the same company as SS, so that explains why you received a message from them.  That said, I changed my password anyway and will just keep an eye out, if it happens again, make my decision then.   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Actually, rereading that message, I'm starting to think that Beauty Bar didn't connect passwords to email addresses.  They just stumbled across a list of email addresses and passwords that included a lot of email addresses for their customers and took this action.  Password information for *anything* could be on there.

This eases my mind a whole lot.  Part of my initial worry was that A) I haven't belonged to SS for long at all (as I previously mentioned) and B) it sounded as though their UN/PW information was compromised.  This email actually reinforces my happiness in SS rather than degrade it, so thanks for posting the actual message.

Quote: Originally Posted by MUfiend /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Did anyone get an email from beautybar saying that their email and password may be compromised? Trying to figure out what's going on and if anyone else received it and hoping a lot of you all weren't affected.
I got it but luckily that password was unique to beautybar, so I'm not concerned, personally. Also they immediately changed all of ours when they realized the mistake which protected our info. 

I got it but luckily that password was unique to beautybar, so I'm not concerned, personally. Also they immediately changed all of ours when they realized the mistake which protected our info. 
Thanks to everyone for responding. I'm still a bit worried. I emailed but will call tomorrow. They said it wasn't their breach but didn't tell me where the breach was when I asked. This makes me thing any of my web profiles could be compromised and that my info could be accessible. Depending on which site - that could mean a lot of info. Argh....I'm going to try to get more info tomorrow.

I just signed my mom up for this subscription box for her Christmas present. I think she'll really enjoy it! 

I got the message from soap.com, which is a part of their family of sites.  But the email accounts I use for the two sites are different. 

Quote: Originally Posted by tgooberbutt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I got the message from soap.com, which is a part of their family of sites.  But the email accounts I use for the two sites are different. 
This is a really weird occurrence.  I'm guessing, like someone else speculated, that they found a list of email addresses and passwords that had been hacked from elsewhere on the internet and they sent the email to any email address on the list that they had in their system (since I still haven't received an email from them in any fashion).  My suggestion would be to change the password to whatever account is tied to the email address you received the notification on and also for any other accounts that you utilize the same email address/password combination.   :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My box shipped last monday but my tracking hasn't updated since Wednesday... Should I be worried? Ups is normally so good about updating!

I also received the password email and sent a reply asking for a link to the document they found or the information in it that was relevant to my account, but haven't heard back (maybe because of the long weekend). 

If you like the Iredale sample, go to the Jane Iredale web site and send them a note explaining your skin concerns/skin tone/what you are interested in from their line, etc. I did so maybe 6 months ago and got a mind-blowingly amazing set of free samples, including a Lip Drink, a mini lip and cheek stain, and Tokyo lipstick in the same mini metal packaging, a mascara, a lash primer, and 6 individual micro lipstick samples in plastic packaging. It made my week! In my experience, they are very generous with samples and have the cutest sample packaging. They made themselves a lifelong customer that day! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

How are you guys using the skin brightener? I tried it on my cheekbones and all it did was make my pores look huge.

How are you guys using the skin brightener? I tried it on my cheekbones and all it did was make my pores look huge.
Try mixing it with your base or moisturizer. It will give you a more dewy, less Claire's-Boutique shimmery look.

Quote: Originally Posted by Bflopolska /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Try mixing it with your base or moisturizer. It will give you a more dewy, less Claire's-Boutique shimmery look.
As the resident old lady (35), I was a bit worried about the shimmery-ness, but I actually mixed the TINIEST little bit with my foundation and used it on my cheek bones and it worked really well.

Quote: Originally Posted by Bflopolska /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As the resident old lady (35), I was a bit worried about the shimmery-ness, but I actually mixed the TINIEST little bit with my foundation and used it on my cheek bones and it worked really well.
Hmm okay, maybe the trick is to not use it alone! Thanks. 
smile.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by lindzebra /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hmm okay, maybe the trick is to not use it alone! Thanks. 
smile.gif

Yeah, I think it's a bit crazy alone.  It's WAY more shiny and weird looking than it appeared to be in the tube.  The key is just using a dabble.  That said, that's a sample size and I can imagine it lasting me a year.  Definitely good for the winter months when you don't want to look all fake tan, but you also don't want to look like you're a corpse.   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hmm okay, maybe the trick is to not use it alone! Thanks.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I would definitely mix it with moisturizer or foundation. I'm older than the resident old lady (almost 40) and love it mixed with my foundation. It gives me more of a youthful glow that I'm missing.

Quote: Originally Posted by Charity1217 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would definitely mix it with moisturizer or foundation. I'm older than the resident old lady (almost 40) and love it mixed with my foundation. It gives me more of a youthful glow that I'm missing.
I meant the resident old lady when it comes to my fear of trying new makeup!

Loving the Lip Drink! Smells better than the Fresh version...and creamier without melting too quickly. 

HAHA! I have you beat, you're not the oldest! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by tgooberbutt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

HAHA! I have you beat, you're not the oldest! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Fine, I'm just afraid of sparkle.  It scares me the way skinny jeans and Kardashians scare me.

I'm 34, and also not a big fan of glitter/sparkle...but I also wasn't a fan of it at 24 (or 14, really). That being said, having subbed to a bunch of beauty boxes, I'm learning to work with it, and even enjoy it now (in small doses). Don't know if I'll ever get all the way through that Borghese tube, though! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  

I have a suspicion that SS has a higher average subscriber age than most subscription boxes. I don't think that a lot of their advertised brands (Sisely, Erno Laszlo, Borghese, Clarins) are likely to appeal to the younger set. Honestly, they don't even appeal that much to me (I lovelovelove brands like Diptyque though, which I why I subbed), Even at 34, I'm not feeling the need to sample/purchase a lot of anti-wrinkle/anti-aging products.  If I had to guess average age by sample box, I bet it's:

Ipsy < Birchbox < Glossybox < Sample Society

What do you guys think?

Latest posts

Back