Sample Society November 2013 (Spoilers!)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also I don't really pay attention to the $$ value of my boxes because some of my most "valuable" boxes have been my least favorite, while some of my least "valuable" I've gotten the most use out of.

Quote: Originally Posted by plumplant /img/forum/go_quote.gif

To clarify, this is my first SS box, not my first subscription box, I subscribe to a lot of different beauty boxes so I understand and don't expect to be 100% pleased with every box.
I'm underwhelmed with this particular box because I'm not a fan of Borghese or Murad (really dislike Murad), the Jane Iredale doesn't really excite me and I don't really care either way about perfume samples. There's no real "wow" item for me in this box and since it is my first month with SS, I'm disappointed.

That being said, everyone has different hot buttons when it comes to their beauty boxes, so even though kit b probably pleases most people, theres nothing in it I would have chosen for myself.
That actually totally makes sense.  I was asking, knowing this was your first SS box, but not your first sub box (since I noticed you had a trade list in your signature).  I wanted your opinion on the products only because I am not familiar with them and the box, on its face, sounded pretty nice.  I am glad you're giving honest opinions of the brands and, while I hope that I enjoy the products more than you do, I have a better idea of what I'm looking at before I get the box in front of me.

I really wasn't trying to annoy you with my question, just so you know :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I am getting box c and I am not too excited either. I received one of those candles last year in Birchbox, lip balm, could surprise me but we'll see, hair oil just ehh, and we'll see on the other two samples but moisturizer has never excited me. I have tried good ones and so so ones, nothing that just wowed me. Face shimmer, will get used eventually but I hate to admit I have a lot of shimmery face stuff

I actually love getting perfume samples in my box because SS usually has unique brands that I can't get locally. I've fallen in love with some of the Diptyque perfumes that were in my SS box that I would have never been able (or thought) to sample otherwise. I live in a smaller town so even perfumes are harder to come by so I love getting them in my subs.
I like them too, not just because I love perfume but I have a husband who is allergic to certain ingredients and some synthetic compounds. I rely on sample vials to determine what I not only like but can wear without triggering his skin or nose.

Got my box!

Kit A:

The Jane Iredale is a nice balm and has a slight hint of a lemon scent.  LOVE that!  The Borghese is a nice size, I think they are all the same shade. Since it's got some sheen and is pretty thin consistency, I don't think it's meant as a foundation or BB cream. I will probably use it on my body as opposed to my face.  The Annick perfume smells wonderful.  I love getting perfume samples and like to try new ones.Murad, meh not that exciting to me. The illume candle smells nice and Christmas-y.  

Quote: Originally Posted by lindzebra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Yeah, so what do we do with the shimmer stuff? I wish it was BB cream.
It's a highlighter to use under foundation to have that subtle shimmer peeking through. Smudge it along your cheekbones, on cupid's bow, under the brow line and along the top of your nose :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by lindzebra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Yeah, so what do we do with the shimmer stuff? I wish it was BB cream.
You can use it as a moisturizer, it'll give you some color and shimmer.  Might be nice for parties or nights out to make your skin look like it's glowing. I just don't like that amount of shimmer for my face, but it could work over cheeks or as a highlighter on the brow bone too.  

I got Box B.  The Murad product is different, but otherwise it's the same box.  It seems like the Borghese makeup appears a little lighter in my box, but that might just be a perception issue and nothing more.

Overall, I like the box, but I'm not thrilled about the perfume vial (I just have never liked them much) nor do I like that the Murad box looks the way that it does and contains a tub the size of a quarter.  It's certainly not a mind-blowing month for me, but I will use everything in the box (even the perfume, which I think smells heavenly, but only wish it were in a different sample size).

Quote: Originally Posted by biskies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I got Box B.  The Murad product is different, but otherwise it's the same box.  It seems like the Borghese makeup appears a little lighter in my box, but that might just be a perception issue and nothing more.

Overall, I like the box, but I'm not thrilled about the perfume vial (I just have never liked them much) nor do I like that the Murad box looks the way that it does and contains a tub the size of a quarter.  It's certainly not a mind-blowing month for me, but I will use everything in the box (even the perfume, which I think smells heavenly, but only wish it were in a different sample size).

I got this box too....except I was missing my Murad product. I liked the samples overall (the ones I did get), I actually LOVE the perfume. It is exactly the kind of perfume I would buy for myself. I was a little disappointed about my CS regarding the missing item. They (understandably, I guess) could not replace the missing sample, but gave me a $3 credit in my account. What I didn't like was that they gave me a week to use that credit or I lose it! I don't get paid until next Friday so I won't have any money to spend until then so I won't be able to use my credit. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Hopefully next month is better. 

Quote: Originally Posted by AmandaMaven /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got this box too....except I was missing my Murad product. I liked the samples overall (the ones I did get), I actually LOVE the perfume. It is exactly the kind of perfume I would buy for myself. I was a little disappointed about my CS regarding the missing item. They (understandably, I guess) could not replace the missing sample, but gave me a $3 credit in my account. What I didn't like was that they gave me a week to use that credit or I lose it! I don't get paid until next Friday so I won't have any money to spend until then so I won't be able to use my credit. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Hopefully next month is better. 
Awww, that really stinks.  I think putting an expiration like that on such a small credit is a bit foolish...

I would defiantly contact them again. This happened to me three time and the second time someone on here urged me to let them know that I wouldn't be placing an order within a week and so it would not make up for my missing sample. They then credited me back some money on to my card. Another time they sent me a new box. So I would contact them and let them know you're not satisfied with this solution. It's not your fault they didn't send all the samples. You shouldn't have to spend more $ to get the credit for it.

Quote: Originally Posted by Charity1217 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would defiantly contact them again. This happened to me three time and the second time someone on here urged me to let them know that I wouldn't be placing an order within a week and so it would not make up for my missing sample. They then credited me back some money on to my card. Another time they sent me a new box. So I would contact them and let them know you're not satisfied with this solution. It's not your fault they didn't send all the samples. You shouldn't have to spend more $ to get the credit for it.

I will try emailing them again in the morning. I thought it was so strange that they gave me an expiration date for my credit, especially since it is only $3. A credit back on my card or just a credit on the site that doesn't expire would be nice. I'll let you know how it goes!

I will try emailing them again in the morning. I thought it was so strange that they gave me an expiration date for my credit, especially since it is only $3. A credit back on my card or just a credit on the site that doesn't expire would be nice. I'll let you know how it goes!
SS has great customer service but sometimes you have to speak to a few reps to get a good solution.

Well. . . .got my box today and was excited to open my first sample box and I went to open the pretty,gray,tissue around the paper clips and viola! Nothing!!! Absolutely nothing except paper! No samples! Bummed. . .! Called CS and they are sending a new box, but won't get it till Saturday!!! : (. So this is my day, so far!!!!! LOL

Try again! I received a totally wrong product last month, and they shipped me an entirely new box for free.

Well. . . .got my box today and was excited to open my first sample box and I went to open the pretty,gray,tissue around the paper clips and viola! Nothing!!! Absolutely nothing except paper! No samples! Bummed. . .! Called CS and they are sending a new box, but won't get it till Saturday!!! : (. So this is my day, so far!!!!! LOL
How sad! I'm glad they are sending you a new box (as they should) but I can see that being such a disappointment!

I got a wrong product last month and they did nothing when I called them. The girl I talked to wasn't sure what to do and said they would email me. When they did they didn't offer me anything.

I got my box today and I love everything in it! I love the little chapstick container, I wish I could hoard them! The candle also smells absolutely amazing as well as the parfum. I'm happy I got a free code to try it out and I'm definitely going to stick with it for awhile!

Latest posts

Back