Sample Society: September 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Pellen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here's the difference you can actually use the truly deluxe samples that Sample society sends. I am still using my Oscar. Secondly they are sending way way way higher end brands out that birchbox would only dream of getting hold of. While I get both bb and ss I have noticed that the perfumes bb sends are of the trendy celeb branded scents that can be purchased at the drug store.

This is very true--good point!!

Either way, I'm on the perfume sample train!! I want my box! Is it the 18th yet? I'm ready to squirt some new perfume, smack that gloss on and paint my eyes with Stila!

I got the Do Son perfume and the black crayon. LOVE THIS BOX! I just ran out of the murad (i was using it every 2-3 days) so i got a spot in my shower for it, the perfume smells SO good! fancy/classy! the lip gloss is a bit sticky, but it has real staying power for a lip gloss. crayon was SO easy to apply and even thought i got the black one, it didn't smear everywhere and give me raccoon eyes. only thing i haven't tried yet is the Ahava :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm happy with this box.  I will use everything in the box except the perfume which I'll give to my neice.  

I recieved the Stila in the smoke shade, which is what I wanted and I love the lip gloss.  I have very dry skin, especially in the fall and winter months, so I dont think I'll use the Ahava on my face, but it will be good for my chest and shoulder areas.  I was impressed with the size of the cleanser and had been wanting to try something from that brand, so I'm pleased with that.  The only thing I dont like in the box is the perfume.  Its just not a scent I care for, but my neice might like it.

I've used the Stila crayon (smoke shade) twice already.  The first time I used it alone with some darker gray eyeliner and black mascara.  The second time I applied the crayon to my lids and then applied a plum shadow part way on my lids with dark gray liner and black mascara.  I like the look for fall.

I'm going to order the full size Stila crayon in the smoke shade.  I love it!

I posted this on the Birchbox thread, but since Beauty Bar is one of the companies you can earn points to redeem for gift certificates from, I'll post it here too.

I would like to share a FREE points program I belong to called My Points. Its like getting free money!

I have been a member of My Points since 2004 and have recieved hundreds of dollars of gift certificiates to stores I normally shop at for free. It sounds to good to be true, but it is true!

First you have to sign up (its free). Then when you shop online, go to My Points and find the store you want to shop at, and click on it. It will bring you to that stores site. Then make your purchase as you normally would (make sure you use the same email address you used for My Points). A month later you will be credited for the points. Once you have enough points, you redeem them for gift certificates. They also send you several emails a day that if you click on them, you earn 5 points. There are other ways to earn points as well. I once earned enough points just by clicking on the emails they sent me (I didnt purchase anything or spend any money) to earn a 10.00 gift certificate to one of my favorite stores.

You choose which gift certificates you would like to redeem your points for. I have gotten GC's to Sephora, Old Navy, The Gap, TJ Maxx, Barnes and Noble, Nordstroms, magazines.com and others. There is long list of stores to earn points from by shopping online. If anyone subs to Sample Society, Beauty bar is one of them. I earn points when I redeem my 15.00 off from Sample Society every month.

Different purchases earn different amount of points. Sephora = 2 points per dollar. Beauty.com/drugstore.com = 300 points for any purchase. There is a long, long list of stores to get points from and to redeem them at and its completely, 100% free. The only annoying thing about it is the 5 or 6 emails a day, but most of those are worth points as well.

You can go to mypoints.com to sign up. I do get referral points if anyone wants to DM me your email address and name and I can send you a link from My Points. That would be nice, but you dont have to. 

I have used My Points since 2004. Its an awesome program and as I said, its like getting free money.
ReplyQuote Multi 0

I recieved my September Sample Society box 2 days ago and I'm already looking forward to October's box.  These beauty sample boxes are like an addiction! 

I tried the ahava mud mask yesterday and it didn't burn my face like it did for other people. Honestly, it just seemed ineffective since its a 2-minute mask, but I thought that might come in useful if I was short on time but needed clean my pores. That was the only thing I did different to my face and I've had perfectly clear skin for several years (4-5 at least). Now I just washed my face. All I had on was Skin79 BB Cream (amazing stuff) and a little mineral foundation and found EIGHT tiny pimples around my nose. YIKES!!!!!!!! Be careful with the ahava. I won't be using this again. There is definitely an ingredient in there that is not good for my skin. I'll stick with my Aztec Secret Indian Clay and apple cider vinegar OR coffee grounds, sugar, honey, and olive oil for now. Clay mask is drying, the coffee one is great for anti-aging, exfoliation, and moisturizing.

My super sensitive skin and I are afraid of this Ahava mask- If anyone wants to trade for ANY of the Diptyque scents, let me know :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Got my blog post up! My dyptique scent was philosykos! The story behind it is awesome! 

The box is valued at about $40 since I dont know the sample value of the Stila. Can anyone help out?

Link deleted per Terms of Service.

Holy wow!! Another perfect box from Sample Society!! <3 I literally was looking for a mud mask a few days ago - stumbled upon the Kiehl's one but wasn't too sure I would commit to it. Now I got the AHAVA mud mask so voila, problem solved! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I am very close to finishing my cleanser - and lookit - SS sent me a cleanser. I've always wanted to try a Diptyque fragrance but I have a still nearly full Chanel so couldn't justify it. But ... SS sent me Philosykos.

All in all I am extremely happy. I'm ambivalent about the makeup but I'm sure I'll use it soon-ish... I'm too into skincare at the moment and overly stocked up on beauty products.

Got my blog post up! My dyptique scent was philosykos! The story behind it is awesome!  The box is valued at about $40 since I dont know the sample value of the Stila. Can anyone help out?
I got the same scent and looking to trade it. How did u like it?

Originally Posted by marybbryant /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I recieved my September Sample Society box 2 days ago and I'm already looking forward to October's box.  These beauty sample boxes are like an addiction! 
What do you mean LIKE!?!??!!?!  I'm needing to go join a beauty box clinic ;0...

ZoomButt.gif

ZoomButt.gif

ZoomButt.gif

Originally Posted by yanelib27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got the same scent and looking to trade it. How did u like it?
I really liked it because you really can smell all the different elements of the fig tree. The sweetness of the fruit, the fresh greens, and even some sun-drenched soil. Call me cheesy but I pick it all up in one whiff! On me it pulls VERY sweet. And now that I've had it on for about 8 hours today, its a very mild, kind of sweet fresh scent. Really unlike anything else I've ever smelled.

I really liked it because you really can smell all the different elements of the fig tree. The sweetness of the fruit, the fresh greens, and even some sun-drenched soil. Call me cheesy but I pick it all up in one whiff! On me it pulls VERY sweet. And now that I've had it on for about 8 hours today, its a very mild, kind of sweet fresh scent. Really unlike anything else I've ever smelled.
Lol, I'm sold! That was a great description and can't wait to see what sample I get in my box. I'm hoping for something gourmand!

I got my box!

I got the Stila in Umber, which is what I wanted :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  And the Diptyque is Vetyverio - which is in the "woody" family and has the essence of forest vegetation. IDK about that, but it smells nice. Very different for me!

Here;s the description:

Made for both women and men, the Diptyque Eaux de Toilette use the finest raw materials to relate a childhood memory and poetically reinvent and enhance nature or a journey, real or dreamed of. A bird, known as the Java Sparrow, hides in the cool of the forest, amid the trees' dense and soothing foliage. Here and there, clearings graced with tropical flowers; the eye discerns groves of long, slender leaves of fragrant vetiver. And from this black and white, somehow perceived in color, rises an image of profuse, blooming vegetation, exquisitely aromatic, dazzling to the senses. There is a winged creature blessed to perch in this paradise. That's why Diptyque calls it "Vetyverio."

Here's a pic of my box. I have so far only tried the cleanser and I really liked it! I dont like how the perfume smells on me, it smells a little too on the 'man' side for me to like it. I can tell its a scent made for both men and women, and I tend to dislike those scents.

Back