Sample Society: September 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weird, the perfume sample smells like coconut on me! Like the exact same as the coconut oil that I use. I like it.

I got the Stila in umber which I am happy about because I have enough black liners right now.

The cleanser is alright, I have soooo many of those though. The lipgloss is a pretty color but it's super sticky!

I am happy with my box, but I wish the perfume sample was more than the little spray tube, or that we at least got one more small sample.

But I resubbed and am happy that I did!

Got mine yesterday. Got the Stila stick in Smoke and the perfume in  philosykos. The perfume smells very bad to me but my daughter likes it so she's the new owner of it haha. Love the cleanser, the gloss and the Stila, haven't tried the Ahava yet.

I like the lipgloss..it is a bit sticky, but I find after I have it on for a few minutes, it is less so. I'm a little jealous of those of you who got the fig fragrance...the one I got is alright but doesn't suit me.

Got my box this morning. I got the stila in umber and the fig scented fragrance. The stila lasted 7 hours with no primer which is great for me since I have a terrible time keeping liner on. The fig fragrance is super delicious and I'll be trying to swap for the others as well if anyone is trading theirs. The lipgloss is going to my daughters play makeup it's sticky, stinky and not my kind of gloss. I already know I like the ahava and the cleanser wworked wl with no tight skin feeling after. I'm so impressed with SS.

i've worn the fig scent twice now and i just don't like it. thought i would but it doesn't suit me. 

how are people using the stila? as a liner or a shadow?

I got my box yesterday, yay! This is my favorite SS box so far! I got the Stila in Smoke and the fragrance in Vetyverio. I wore the fragrance yesterday and it smelled... almost good on me. You know how your jeans smell if you let them go too long without washing? (Okay, so I haven't actually done that since college, but it's a smell you remember! haha) The perfume smells good, just sweet enough, until I can smell THAT note lingering beneath the sweet. It's just perceptible enough to make me not like it. I may try again, but I think it is ruined for me.

The Stila smudge crayon was pretty great! I wore it last night as a shadow in my crease/outer lid and lower lash line, paired with Urban Decay shadow "Chase" from the 15th anniversary palette on the inner corner. I should have taken a picture, now that I think about it. I topped it off with a thin liquid liner (dark brown), slightly winged upward, and lots of lush mascara. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> It stayed on all evening without budging, and still looked fresh when I got home. I'm a fan! The color was perfect for my fair complexion, and it's a product I probably would never have looked twice at, let alone purchased. I really like it! Yay!

The lip gloss is ok. Nice, neutral-ish color. I kind of hate the sparkly finish, but it's subtle enough that I'll still wear it. I don't mind a little shimmer on my lip gloss, I guess it's the combination of the color plus the sparkle that I don't like. However, the color is flattering and it wears pretty well. I can't figure out what it smells like... I recognize it, maybe an alcoholic beverage? Pineapple? I can't place it!

Can't wait to try the face stuff next!

Originally Posted by Jess Bailey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i've worn the fig scent twice now and i just don't like it. thought i would but it doesn't suit me. 
When I think of figs I think of the fruit. This does not smell even remotely like fruit to me. It smells like really pungent leaves. It's not the nice clean green scent I associate with leaves either. It is very aggressive. It does last a long time though. I tried it and disliked it so much I washed it off the best I could. I just couldn't get rid of it. My daughter sprayed it this morning and I heard my hub from the other room asking what is that smell and spraying air freshener. I had given it to her yesterday but neither hub or I can stand the smell so I asked her to toss it and gave her one of my other bigger perfumes so she was happy.

I got my box yesterday, yay! This is my favorite SS box so far! I got the Stila in Smoke and the fragrance in Vetyverio. I wore the fragrance yesterday and it smelled... almost good on me. You know how your jeans smell if you let them go too long without washing? (Okay, so I haven't actually done that since college, but it's a smell you remember! haha) The perfume smells good, just sweet enough, until I can smell THAT note lingering beneath the sweet. It's just perceptible enough to make me not like it. I may try again, but I think it is ruined for me. The Stila smudge crayon was pretty great! I wore it last night as a shadow in my crease/outer lid and lower lash line, paired with Urban Decay shadow "Chase" from the 15th anniversary palette on the inner corner. I should have taken a picture, now that I think about it. I topped it off with a thin liquid liner (dark brown), slightly winged upward, and lots of lush mascara. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> It stayed on all evening without budging, and still looked fresh when I got home. I'm a fan! The color was perfect for my fair complexion, and it's a product I probably would never have looked twice at, let alone purchased. I really like it! Yay! The lip gloss is ok. Nice, neutral-ish color. I kind of hate the sparkly finish, but it's subtle enough that I'll still wear it. I don't mind a little shimmer on my lip gloss, I guess it's the combination of the color plus the sparkle that I don't like. However, the color is flattering and it wears pretty well. I can't figure out what it smells like... I recognize it, maybe an alcoholic beverage? Pineapple? I can't place it! Can't wait to try the face stuff next!
I think it smells like artificial black cherry.

Originally Posted by MyriadVoices /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The lip gloss is ok. Nice, neutral-ish color. I kind of hate the sparkly finish, but it's subtle enough that I'll still wear it. I don't mind a little shimmer on my lip gloss, I guess it's the combination of the color plus the sparkle that I don't like. However, the color is flattering and it wears pretty well. I can't figure out what it smells like... I recognize it, maybe an alcoholic beverage? Pineapple? I can't place it!
Originally Posted by Shannon28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It reminds me of that industrial, public bathroom almond scented soap.

I had to come back and say I actually really like the Cellceuticals cleanser. It didn't make my skin hurt, itch or feel too tight. It is very rare for me to find something like that so I'm pretty pleased even if the perfume does smell vile.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by sprite9034 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It reminds me of that industrial, public bathroom almond scented soap.

Originally Posted by Shannon28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

hmmmm, maybe a cherry amaretto sour? that could be what i am thinking of. i'll have to go smell it again with that in mind.

Are these boxes always so nice?  I subbed yesterday for October's box.  I hope they've got some super things planned!  
smilehappyyes.gif

Originally Posted by Jennifer Love /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Are these boxes always so nice?  I subbed yesterday for October's box.  I hope they've got some super things planned!  
smilehappyyes.gif
I have been quite pleased overall. I am sure you will like them.

Originally Posted by Jennifer Love /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smilehappyyes.gif

They are pretty consistently good, in my opinion!

Originally Posted by Jess Bailey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

how are people using the stila? as a liner or a shadow?
Aw, that's the one I was hoping for! The vetiver one I got doesn't appeal to me much.

Originally Posted by murflegirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I really liked it because you really can smell all the different elements of the fig tree. The sweetness of the fruit, the fresh greens, and even some sun-drenched soil. Call me cheesy but I pick it all up in one whiff! On me it pulls VERY sweet. And now that I've had it on for about 8 hours today, its a very mild, kind of sweet fresh scent. Really unlike anything else I've ever smelled.
It does not smell sweet to me at all. Funny how different chemistry and scents effects us all. It was a very pungent, overpowering green smell to me. Very unpleasant to me.

Augh, I skipped September, but I've been suckered in again. For the extra 5$, Sample Society makes it totally worth it!

Originally Posted by Shutterbug68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Augh, I skipped September, but I've been suckered in again. For the extra 5$, Sample Society makes it totally worth it!
HA!! That happened to me, too, in August! I think am sticking around for October, but I REALLY need to cut back on my sub boxes! I kind of hope October is not super thrilling for me, so I can cut SS again. I can't use my samples up fast enough! At least with BB I can usually use everything up before the next box comes in! 

Originally Posted by MyriadVoices /img/forum/go_quote.gif

HA!! That happened to me, too, in August! I think am sticking around for October, but I REALLY need to cut back on my sub boxes! I kind of hope October is not super thrilling for me, so I can cut SS again. I can't use my samples up fast enough! At least with BB I can usually use everything up before the next box comes in! 
September was SUPPOSED to be the month that I got through my sample backlog; didn't quite happen, but I have this new "rule" that inbound items have first priority over purchasing new stuff (which should also help me clear the backlog, honestly) AND that if I have a sample for two months, I have to use it or pass it on to someone else. SHOULD help with the cluttering.

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

September was SUPPOSED to be the month that I got through my sample backlog; didn't quite happen, but I have this new "rule" that inbound items have first priority over purchasing new stuff (which should also help me clear the backlog, honestly) AND that if I have a sample for two months, I have to use it or pass it on to someone else. SHOULD help with the cluttering.
Good idea! I'm trying to focus on using up one product before switching to another, to avoid having many little jars of half-used things. I may have to incorporate your two-months rule. 

Back