Sample Society September 2014 - Spoilers & Discussion

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll get mine tomorrow. I'll get the pics and sizes of everything when it arrives.

ETA: Freakin A the UPS driver couldn't find my box on his truck, said his truck was too full.  He said he'll be back later with it once he unloads some packages from his truck.  UGH!  C'mon this is important!! 

This wasn't my usual guy...my normal driver would probably dig for it.  

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my first box as well, and I'm pretty happy about it. I would have liked to see at least one product with color (besides the tanning wipes) like maybe a nail polish. But, I am really impressed with the brands they are sending out; Tarte and Lorac are two of my favorites. 

I'm even planning to use the tanning wipes! One of my friends is having a 70s themed party in late September, and I plan on going in full studio 54 glam with a glittery deep v-necked, wide legged jumpsuit, big sunnies and big hair. A little tan can only help.

Sorry gals ups never came back today to drop off my box:(

We've had terrible flash flooding today.

I saw a pic of the box on IG perfume looks like it's standard vial size, not deluxe :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

September box $ breakdown

Restorsea $85

Caviar $9

Tarte $9

Lorac $3

Givenchy $1?

Total: $107

Great for $15 + tax :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I calculated the prices based on oz. volumes. I was able to find everything except the perfume because I don't know the sample size.

I got my box today. I am horrible at taking pictures so I apologize in advance that they aren't pretty or very good. If anyone else needs additional photos of the items or the booklet let me know. This is my first SS box so I was really excited that my shipping updates to being out for delivery today. I'm loving their fast shipping. 

I was surprised my how small the eye cream was I guess because the spoiler picture made it look so big and that it's so expensive. It also comes with one of those spoon things to apply it with. I was a little disappointed that the perfume was the little vial (is this the right way to explain it?) but i can spray it so no worries.  Of course there are the three tarte tanning wipes in the box. I thought the Alterna sample size is great. I can't wait to try it. My hair got damaged when I decided to highlight it so it needs it. I wish the primer sample was a little bigger. Not sure how many uses I will get out of it but am looking forward to trying it as I just started using primers. I think for $15 this was a great box. Not everything is up my alley but everything I will at least try except the tanning wipes. So overall I am very happy. Again I hope the pictures are ok and that I am posting them right. 

IMG_0383.JPG

IMG_0388.jpg

I got my box today. I am horrible at taking pictures so I apologize in advance that they aren't pretty or very good. If anyone else needs additional photos of the items or the booklet let me know. This is my first SS box so I was really excited that my shipping updates to being out for delivery today. I'm loving their fast shipping. 

I was surprised my how small the eye cream was I guess because the spoiler picture made it look so big and that it's so expensive. It also comes with one of those spoon things to apply it with. I was a little disappointed that the perfume was the little vial (is this the right way to explain it?) but i can spray it so no worries.  Of course there are the three tarte tanning wipes in the box. I thought the Alterna sample size is great. I can't wait to try it. My hair got damaged when I decided to highlight it so it needs it. I wish the primer sample was a little bigger. Not sure how many uses I will get out of it but am looking forward to trying it as I just started using primers. I think for $15 this was a great box. Not everything is up my alley but everything I will at least try except the tanning wipes. So overall I am very happy. Again I hope the pictures are ok and that I am posting them right.
Thank you for sharing your pictures. I think that is a very high quality box. Very nice.... Just look at what you get with Ipsy. We are talking JR. high compared to College.

About the eye cream.. A little goes a long way, and that small jar will last a very long time.

Thank you for sharing your pictures. I think that is a very high quality box. Very nice.... Just look at what you get with Ipsy. We are talking JR. high compared to College.

About the eye cream.. A little goes a long way, and that small jar will last a very long time.
Yep, that's a standard full size eye cream size...takes me forever to get through one!

Thank you for the picture, eas00! I was dying to see the inside. My box arrives only on THURSDAY. Oh gawd.

Mine is here, I love the Restorsea eye cream and the Lorac Porefection Matte. My husband nabbed the Alterna hair cream,  the tan towels and perfume sample go to my Circular Swap stash.

Can the Restorsea be used on eyelids? The box says apply under eyes, but my poor crinkly eyelids need some help.

Yep, that's a standard full size eye cream size...takes me forever to get through one!
Thank you for the feedback on the eye cream. Didn't even realize that was a standard full size. And you both are right it will last a long time since its just for your eyes. I don't think I really thought it through when I saw the size and was typed up my reaction. lol. 

Also, is it best to use the spoon thing it came with or just my finger to apply it?

Thank you for the feedback on the eye cream. Didn't even realize that was a standard full size. And you both are right it will last a long time since its just for your eyes. I don't think I really thought it through when I saw the size and was typed up my reaction. lol. 

Also, is it best to use the spoon thing it came with or just my finger to apply it?
Well, the thinking these days is to use a tube vs. jars to minimize bacterial contamination. (Don't ever use trial products at a make-up counter. We are talking oodles of bacterial contamination.) I imagine this is why the spoon was included.

But my personal opinion is that unless you wash that spoon every day it will be worthless. Easy solution? Package it in a tube! Not perfect but better than squishing your fingers through your eye cream every day. I guess you could even use a Q-tip although you would have some product loss.

This reminds me of when I was in a bathroom at a mall, and the Macy's employee that previously helped me at the make-up counter DID NOT wash her hands. Before she hit the door I announced it very loudly with a huge EWWW......

September box $ breakdown (revised)

Restorsea $85

Caviar $9

Tarte $9

Lorac $3

Givenchy $2

Total: $108

Great for $15 + tax :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I calculated the prices based on oz. volumes found on sites and reviews.

Well, the thinking these days is to use a tube vs. jars to minimize bacterial contamination. (Don't ever use trial products at a make-up counter. We are talking oodles of bacterial contamination.) I imagine this is why the spoon was included.

But my personal opinion is that unless you wash that spoon every day it will be worthless. Easy solution? Package it in a tube! Not perfect but better than squishing your fingers through your eye cream every day. I guess you could even use a Q-tip although you would have some product loss.

This reminds me of when I was in a bathroom at a mall, and the Macy's employee that previously helped me at the make-up counter DID NOT wash her hands. Before she hit the door I announced it very loudly with a huge EWWW......
That was very unhygienic of her!

The spoon is more for scooping out the cream and transferring it onto your hand rather than using it to apply the cream to your eyes, for hygiene purposes. I would recommend doing that and then washing the spoon after every use. It won't take too much of your time to wash it. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I got my box yesterday and I too was shocked at how small the eye cream was. I do realize it is eye cream and the half ounce is typical, but the Ahava that I love comes in a thicker jar to make it look bigger. I think Restoresea is probably doing themselves a bit of a disservice by packaging the cream in a small jar and then putting it in a large box on top of that. It gives the appearance that the cream is much smaller than other eye creams out there, even if it isn't in actuality, you know.

I got my first box today.  The box is smaller than I expected.  But, they pack it in there.  I have a bloody thumb from trying to get the darn thing out of the outer box.  But, all is well.  The eye cream speaks to me.  Reading the pamphlet is really helpful (maybe cause I am that girl described minus the smoking).  I am having a crepey time with my undereyes so, I hope this is my miracle in a jar.

I have been experimenting with lots of primers to see if one will help with my pores yet, not give me a dry look. I have used Rimmel, Napolean and Smashbox with no success.  I now have this Lorac sample, a tarte and Benefit to try.  If none of these work, I am going to be over primer.  So, glad to have this to add to my experiment.

When I read the description (using my cheaters) on the hair cream, it seemed like it was not going to be something for me at all.  But, the pamphlet encourages us fine hair girls to give it a try.  I love leave in products over wash out conditioners so I am happy to try anything like this.

Perfume is nice and I will use the towelettes just for kicks.

I like this first box.  I will stick around for another month and see how this goes.

This is my first box...and UPS managed to lose it. They said they placed it on my porch (in the pouring rain yesterday. Good decision making skills, UPS driver) and it definitely wasn't there when I got home. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Sample Society gets an A+ for response though because they've already shipped out a new box to replace it.  I'm so happy they are replacing it, but bummed that I won't get to try it until next week.

Mine should be here Thursday! Actually pretty excited to try the eye cream, Alterna hair stuff (my hair is is sooo damaged but I keep avoiding getting it trimmed anyway) and that Lorac primer. I've tried the Tarte so it's not exciting, but I'll use it.

I have a feeling I'll take a whiff of the Givenchy perfume and put it on my trade list since I've been getting really into indie scents so that's not that exciting to me. I did that exact thing with the Catherine Malandrino sample I got the other day from Birchbox. 

Got my box today, and I'm actually happier with it now that it's here.

The eye cream, while it is in a large box/small jar, is about the size I expected it to be. Most of my eye creams are that size, but wow...it's pricey! I appreciate the little spatula they included as well. I'm only 29 so I don't have any major eye aging yet, but prevention is important, so I will be using this happily!

Tanning wipes are not my thing, as I love and cherish my paleness, but I actually liked that they were in a little box...is that weird? LOL They immediately became less of a groan-worthy product because the packets were nicely boxed. I'm a weirdo, haha. I'll be passing these to my mom who likes to be tan year-round!

Lorac primer is nice. I have a huge, embarassing stash of primers, so I may try this out and pass it on if I'm not feeling it. Otherwise I'll add it to my stash and hopefully get to it sometime this century.

Caviar hair cream- I have very fine hair, but it breaks easily and can get a little dry, so I'll use this as suggested in the booklet on my ends and sparingly to see how it works for me.

Perfume- Actually REALLY like this. I like deep orientals, musks and heavier scents that aren't too floral or fruity, but this has that really nice woody base to it and the floral is subtle. I like this so much that I might have to save my pennies for a larger bottle!

Overall my least favorite box since the re-launch, but not a bad box by any means. I'm still looking forward to October's box, and will use the majority of these products happily :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Latest posts

Back