Sample Society September 2014 - Spoilers & Discussion

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My box should be here Friday.  I can't wait to get it, and Friday is my birthday so it'll be like getting a present!

Want to hear perfect timing? The second I loaded this thread up to see how everyone liked their box, my doorbell rang.

Love my box. Just hope there is enough primer there for me to evaluate though.

I just got my box like 20 minutes ago.

(I can't seem to find the spoiler button but here are pics!) :unsure2:

20140909_163853.jpg

20140909_164214.jpg

My thoughts:  Love it!! I think it is a great first box and the booklet that comes with it is super helpful.  I love the size of the Alterna leave-in conditioner and it smells nice.. I do have fine hair so I'll just use it on my ends.  I actually LOVE the perfume and my boyfriend liked it too so that's a plus - I think it will be my new fall scent!  And I also like that it's one of those small vials that actually sprays.  The eye cream pot is super tiny (and cute!) but the Origins eye cream I use now comes in a super tiny pot so I guess that's the norm.  It has a weird medicinal smell to me that is not pleasing but I tested it out on my hand and it has an amazing cooling feeling and sinks in pretty quickly.  Nice and light feeling.. the box says that it may tingle but I didn't experience that.  Super excited to try it out! And I'm up to my ears in primer but I've wanted to try this lorac one ever since it came out - anything with mattify and pore together are an immediate win in my book!

The eye cream seems pretty good so far. I have dry skin and I used it before bed last night and did not put it on in the morning and it is almost 5:30pm here and my eye area still feels moisturized.

OMG. Lindsey Wixson is on the front cover of the booklet. I will be keeping that too! Hah. Seeing all these pics is making me even more excited. I don't really care for primers since they are mostly silicone-based (bad stuff for the skin); even Wayne Goss agrees. I can't wait for the eye cream! Arggghhh.

I was pretty shocked when I opened the box. I expected everything to be really small since the eye cream was full size. Everything is a really generous size. I'm pretty sure that hair cream would last like a year if you used it every shower.... That's how big it isn't! The primer is also an excellent size and I was shocked to get more than one tan towel thing (it's a little box with three inside). I'm really still only likely to use the eye cream (I need to sniff that perfume) but I'm glad everything else is actually sizes you can trade and such.

I just got my box today and I'm excited to try almost everything! I'm not sure the fish egg eye cream can make a dent in my hereditary dark circles, but I'll try anything. Nothing ever has, despite all the money I've thrown at them. So I'm just thankful I didn't have to pay full price for another eye cream to have it not work. 

I LOVE LOVE LOVE getting hair products in sample boxes. I spend more money on my hair than anything else. It's ridiculous how much hair product I have that's 3/4 full and didn't work for shit. (I have troublesome hair). Give me all the samples to try it first! I've discovered Kerastase, Living Proof, and others that I've immediately bought the full size. I've also discovered how much I hated other products that I would've otherwise spent my money on. Short story long, I'm excited to try the Alterna product. 

I LOVE LOVE LOVE getting hair products in sample boxes. I spend more money on my hair than anything else. It's ridiculous how much hair product I have that's 3/4 full and didn't work for shit. (I have troublesome hair). Give me all the samples to try it first! I've discovered Kerastase, Living Proof, and others that I've immediately bought the full size. I've also discovered how much I hated other products that I would've otherwise spent my money on. Short story long, I'm excited to try the Alterna product. 
This is so me too!  I love hair samples for the exact same reason.  I see lots of people complain about the hair stuffs, but please, send them my way!  I have a whole area under my sink with 3/4 full bottles of junk.  Thankfully, my boyfriend has SUPER long hair and will use almost anything.

I got an email at 5 p.m. last night stating my box had shipped. When I got home at 6, it was in my mailbox. Now THAT is speedy shipping!! lol  I am very satisfied with everything that is in the box, although the Lorac seems to be only half-full. The eye cream felt great immediately and I'm sad that I am loving the perfume scent...not sure I can afford or justify even the smallest bottle they sell. Another great month!

I wasn't too thrilled by the spoilers initially, but now that I have the box, I'm pretty satisfied. I tried the Restorsea eye cream last night and so far so good. I like that it's not heavily fragranced like most high end skincare products can be.

I'm super impressed by the Sample Society revamp. Fingers crossed they keep it up and include a makeup item next month!

I got an email at 5 p.m. last night stating my box had shipped. When I got home at 6, it was in my mailbox. Now THAT is speedy shipping!!
Haha, I got an e-mail yesterday around that time saying my box had shipped.  Only, I received my box on Monday.  Haven't tried anything yet; am still working my way through an Orlane Paris eye cream I got from Beauty DNA and didn't want to open this one until I'm through with that, so it'll keep for longer.  But happy to have another high-end one in the lineup, since the expensive ones really do seem to work better for me (no dark circles, just bags/puffiness for me).  Excited about the primer; I have a big shine problem.  The Alterna sample is bigger than any Alterna sample I've gotten before and I should get a lot of uses, even on my waist-length hair.

While I would maybe have liked to have seen some makeup, I'm happy with the box overall (even with the tan towels, which I won't use).  Glad I resubscribed.

(As an aside, I think my UPS lady hates me.  Between subscription boxes and Amazon Prime, she has to stop by my condo at least 2-3 times a week.)

So - I got two sample society boxes yesterday, but I only paid for one.

One came FedEx, the other UPS. Weird.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Either way - the contents of the box are awesome. I've cancelled all but one birchbox. I think I'll be sticking with sample society! I also really loved the little book that came with it.

I received my box today and it was missing the Lorac primer.  I contacted customer service and they said they are refunding me for the missing item.  They didn't say how much though.  I'm not too disappointed about the missing primer because I have really dry skin and probably wouldn't have used it anyway. 

As for the rest of the box: I really like the perfume, but the scent faded quickly. I'm excited to try the Alterna cream-I've never used anything from the brand before.  The eye cream feels cool and wet going on, and my skin still feels moisturized hours later.  I'm hesitant about fake-tanning my face with the Tarte towlettes.  But I might be brave and give it a try!

Got my box today and I was really excited - all the skin and hair products were paraben free, and most were pthalate free, to boot. Very good, Sample Society! :smilehappyyes:

I like this month's box  very well. I'll use everything but the pore primer. I love Alterna hair products, and this sample is actually large enough for all my long and very thick hair. Very happy with the shipping as well. SS hits it out of the park with their great UPS shipping. The power of Amazon at work. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've decided that as much as I love Tarte', I will save the face tanning product for spring and try it then. 

Last edited by a moderator:
That was very unhygienic of her!

The spoon is more for scooping out the cream and transferring it onto your hand rather than using it to apply the cream to your eyes, for hygiene purposes. I would recommend doing that and then washing the spoon after every use. It won't take too much of your time to wash it. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
You can also do a quick sanitize on it -- I don't know if this is true of most folks, but I keep a small spray bottle of isopropyl alcohol on hand as the final step in cleaning brushes and tools, so same could apply here.

So - I got two sample society boxes yesterday, but I only paid for one.

One came FedEx, the other UPS. Weird.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Either way - the contents of the box are awesome. I've cancelled all but one birchbox. I think I'll be sticking with sample society! I also really loved the little book that came with it.
Lucky you - I wouldn't mind being sent an extra eye cream! This actually happened to me twice in 2012 with them but hasn't happened since.

I'm loving the eye cream so far. It feels soooooo luxurious on and the moisturizing properties really seem to last through the full day! Time will tell if it really works for circles and lines and such, but as of now this eye cream might actually be worth replenishing even if it does cost $85!

For those of you who haven't used it yet - a little goes a LONG way. I took way too much with the spoon in my first application.... You only need a TINY bit!

Back