Sample Society September 2014 - Spoilers & Discussion

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got my box today and I'm excited to try almost everything! I'm not sure the fish egg eye cream can make a dent in my hereditary dark circles, but I'll try anything. Nothing ever has, despite all the money I've thrown at them. So I'm just thankful I didn't have to pay full price for another eye cream to have it not work. 

I LOVE LOVE LOVE getting hair products in sample boxes. I spend more money on my hair than anything else. It's ridiculous how much hair product I have that's 3/4 full and didn't work for shit. (I have troublesome hair). Give me all the samples to try it first! I've discovered Kerastase, Living Proof, and others that I've immediately bought the full size. I've also discovered how much I hated other products that I would've otherwise spent my money on. Short story long, I'm excited to try the Alterna product. 
I also LOVE hair products, I'm a product junkie and will buy just about anything (drug store, salon, whatever) and Alterna Caviar is my absolute favorite line... It smells wonderful and just about everything I've tried is great! Really, I wish I had every product that line makes!  (It doesn't help that I'm a licensed cosmetologist and scoop hair products up on a whim!) I wish there was a hair specific box, I would sub in a heartbeat!  Ahhh... mine gets here today, can not wait!!

I'm very disappointed in how badly the Restorsea burns my eyes. I have very sensitive eyes, and most eye products burn them a little, but I got a bit of the Restorseas on my lashes last night and my eyes felt like they were on fire.

I'm going to keep using it for now, because occasionally once I get used to something, the burning will stop, but just a heads up for others who might have eye sensitivites!

Got my box today

Love:

Restorsea (loved since trying sample - happy to have FULL size)

Givenchy (love the long lasting scent - floral and woodsy)

Try:

Lorac (great for my oily skin but don't want to open until current primer empty)

Alterna (will attempt leave in treatment with my fine hair)

Gift:

Tarte (never been a tanner - proud of my fair complexion)

Overall: very pleased with my first box! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the Restorsea so far! It's incredibly moisturizing and you only need to use the tiniest bit. It's going to last a lot longer than I first thought when I saw the size of the jar.

I already gifted the Tarte tanning wipes to my sister. I don't mind them being included in the box, but I'm fine with being pale.

Between Allure's reboot of this box and Birchbox upping their game this month, I'm feeling very content with my current subs.

I was away on vacation and just came home to my box yesterday, such a nice welcome home gift :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm happy with the relaunch of Sample Society overall, last month was my least fave box since the relaunch (I don't think I have used anything from it) but the 2 boxes prior were good for me and this one is pretty good for me too.

I am loving the perfume sample right now. Typically when I receive perfume samples I spray them once and if I'm not immediately in love I give them to my friends and coworkers to try out, which happens in most cases. This Givenchy perfume is a love for me. I'm definitely considering purchasing it.

I just used the Alterna product after the shower, my hair is naturally thick and puffy so this product is great for me (I straighten my hair daily so sometimes people don't believe me when I say my hair is thick and puffy but it really is). My hair feels nice after using this product but I'll get a real feel for it once I straighten my hair in the morning.

I am already using another eye cream so I won't get to the one in this box for a while. I don't plan to try the Lorac Primer since I have pretty dry skin and anything mattifying tends to make it look worse. I also don't plan to try the Tarte tanning wipes, I like my fair skin and have no desire to make it look darker :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I have a friend who loves tanning products so I might give the Tarte wipes to her.

I'm happy with 3/5 of the products and will be keeping my Sample Society Sub for at least a few more months :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I love the way the restorsea feels. I don't know if I'd repurchase based on that alone, but we'll see how I'm feeling about it after a few weeks of daily use.

I'm saving the tanning towels for a 70s themed party later this month. I'm going in full studio 54 disco diva mode, and being tan is a major part of that. I read some reviews and watched some videos and think I might actually like them, though.

I'm super picky about perfume, but I love the givenchy. It's so warm and IDK how to put it but adult? Grown up? Sophisticated might be what I'm searching for.

Haven't tried the alterna yet, but I'm thankful for the size. I'll be able to use it several times. Yay!

Using the lorac primer today. We're having people over for a backyard oktoberfest, so I'll be outside in warm weather all day. Hopefully this will keep me from getting shiny/melty.

@shallot ~ I find that the restorsea burns under my eyes towards the sides of my face.  Weird that its just one spot.  It doesn't cause redness and definitely dissipates after a minute or so.  Not loving it but, its serviceable for now.

I tried the primer and I am thinking primers are not good for dry skin when the weather changes.  Unfortunately, I have a bunch of samples to try.  Next summer I guess.

Tanning wipes did burn my skin.  I do not have sensitive skin.  Didn't like but, thankfully not a stink bomb on my face.

The Alterna is probably my favorite from the box and I have fine hair.  I use the recommended pea size.  Yesterday I was so tired and wanted to take a second shower before heading out.   But, I was having such a good and healthy hair day, I didn't.  I think this is my 4th Alterna product and so far, I am 3 for 4 on really liking.

I also LOVE hair products, I'm a product junkie and will buy just about anything (drug store, salon, whatever) and Alterna Caviar is my absolute favorite line... It smells wonderful and just about everything I've tried is great! Really, I wish I had every product that line makes!  (It doesn't help that I'm a licensed cosmetologist and scoop hair products up on a whim!) I wish there was a hair specific box, I would sub in a heartbeat!  Ahhh... mine gets here today, can not wait!!
Well then I hope you subscribe to Blush. They over do the hair products to the point of annoyance.

@shallot ~ I find that the restorsea burns under my eyes towards the sides of my face.  Weird that its just one spot.  It doesn't cause redness and definitely dissipates after a minute or so.  Not loving it but, its serviceable for now.

I tried the primer and I am thinking primers are not good for dry skin when the weather changes.  Unfortunately, I have a bunch of samples to try.  Next summer I guess.

Tanning wipes did burn my skin.  I do not have sensitive skin.  Didn't like but, thankfully not a stink bomb on my face.

The Alterna is probably my favorite from the box and I have fine hair.  I use the recommended pea size.  Yesterday I was so tired and wanted to take a second shower before heading out.   But, I was having such a good and healthy hair day, I didn't.  I think this is my 4th Alterna product and so far, I am 3 for 4 on really liking.
I've been very careful to keep it out of my eyes for now, but I have noticed that it makes the skin it touches feel warm. It's so odd - the warmth isn't unpleasant, but everyone else is touting the cooling wetness of the cream. I don't notice that at all. I use only a teeny bit, too, I mean, I've been using eye creams for a while now, so I hope I know how much to use, LOL.

I am not experiencing any skin irritation, but I am really not sure if I should continue to use it or not!

@@Shalott - no skin irritation here either.  I am going to use it as I have nothing else and I have no irritation either.  But, I will be on the lookout for something else.  I need some heavy duty stuff as the fine lines are not so fine anymore.  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I find that the restorsea burns under my eyes towards the sides of my face. Weird that its just one spot.
If eye cream is ever going to burn me, that's where it does it.  I think the skin is thinner there or something.  (Haven't tried the Restorsea yet because I'm still working my way through an Orlane Paris one from BeautyDNA.)

I loved this month's box! I love the Alterna Leave in treatment so much I already ordered a full size. I am like the primer a lot too. I haven't tried to eye cream yet since I have a few others open to use first, but I love getting eye cream in sub boxes so I don't have to shell out the big bucks for it. I haven't tried to perfume yet either, but I've been into trying new scents lately so I will give it a try soon. I'm swapping the tan towels, but every product can't be a winner.

I really loved this box.  The Alterna is great, it made my hair feel so soft and healthy and it reduced frizz!  I will definitely be picking up a full size.  The perfume is nice, but I think I will save it for winter when I want a "warmer" scent.  So far I like the eye cream, it does tingle a bit for sure but my eye area feels very moisturized.  I'm curious to see if regular use will help my fine lines.  I haven't tried the Tarte wipes or the primer yet but I'm looking forward to both.  This was a great first box for me.  Can't wait to see what Oct brings.

Ladies, I have a question for y'all: Have you noticed a weird smell from the Restorsea eye cream? It smells chemical or medicated, but at the same time, if I didn't know any better I'd say the one I got is going bad. Have you had any problems with the one you got in your box? Is it just me or what? I remember opening mine first thing when I got my box and thought it smelled funny then. I first tried it last night and there was no tingling feeling like it stated one might feel when first using, so that was good, but I could faintly smell it for an hour after using it. It's enough to make me not use it again because it really doesn't smell right to me. Y'all have any problems? My thing has always been that if it smells funny or bad to me, I don't use it. An example would be Yu-Be cream, which I got in another subscription box a year or so ago. That stuff was horrid! Also didn't moisturize like it said it would and for a "holy grail" product that I keep reading about, a total disappointment.

Ladies, I have a question for y'all: Have you noticed a weird smell from the Restorsea eye cream? It smells chemical or medicated, but at the same time, if I didn't know any better I'd say the one I got is going bad. Have you had any problems with the one you got in your box? Is it just me or what? I remember opening mine first thing when I got my box and thought it smelled funny then. I first tried it last night and there was no tingling feeling like it stated one might feel when first using, so that was good, but I could faintly smell it for an hour after using it. It's enough to make me not use it again because it really doesn't smell right to me. Y'all have any problems? My thing has always been that if it smells funny or bad to me, I don't use it. An example would be Yu-Be cream, which I got in another subscription box a year or so ago. That stuff was horrid! Also didn't moisturize like it said it would and for a "holy grail" product that I keep reading about, a total disappointment.
Mine doesn't have a strong smell, so I think yours is going bad. You should stop using it, email them, and see if you can get a replacement.

So over the last two days or so, I've noticed my left eye has really been hurting when I close my eyes or squint. There's no visible skin irritation and my right eye is completely fine, but I'm discontinuing using the eye cream to see if that's what's causing the problem. It's the only thing I've changed in my skincare routine recently. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Mine smells fine.  Maybe a tiny bit (very-very tiny bit) medicated, but it smells more clean than anything. 

I agree about the Yu-Be... it smells like Vicks vapor rub or Carmex chap stick or something. I have extremely dry skin on the sides of my nose and can honestly say that it does work there, but I would never ever rub it on my entire face. BLEH!!

Back