Schooled or self-taught

Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews

Help Support Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews:

ben

Reaction score
i know that this prob has been done a million times but i am curious to know how many of you ladies went to make-up school and how many of you picked it up on thier own...

Liz

Reaction score
i learned on my own along with lots of MAC makeovers. hehehehe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ben i know that this prob has been done a million times but i am curious to know how many of you ladies went to make-up school and how many of you picked it up on thier own... I taught myself..but I have also read a lot of magazines and tips from makeup artists and from that developed my own style

Reaction score
i've been into makeup since before pre-teen years... i've practiced on soooooooooooooooooo many people, and turned out some good faces, so i'm definitely self-taught... i read books when i find them, i pay attention to the magazine tips, watch tv stuff about it... anything makeup, i'm trying to be there... oh, plus i used to do avon and mary kay so you get some training with that too (sometimes)... so maybe i'm just 99% self-taught....

Reaction score
I'm mostly self taught, but I did pick learn a bit in my high school theater department. I would love to go to MU school one day, but I'm so busy with so many other things right now I have no idea when I might get a chance to do that.

Reaction score
I took Cosmetology during high school for 2 years... while it focused mainly on hair - I did learn makeup, skincare, and nails as well... the rest is just trial n' error on my own

Reaction score
I learned both ways, from cosmotology in school to "trial and error". Plus i read a whole lot.. Doing portraiture photography has helped. My subjects come with bare clean faces and undone hair.. Ya know.. let me post a picture for ya'll to see...

Hope you like it.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ben i know that this prob has been done a million times but i am curious to know how many of you ladies went to make-up school and how many of you picked it up on thier own... I practiced (and still do) a lot on any face that I could get a hold of
I also read a lot of books regarding makeup applications (love the Bobbi Brown and Kevyn Aucoin ones). On that note, I still decided to enroll in a makeup school for next year (as I'm pregnant with our second child right now, and will give birth in October). I just wanted to make sure that I'm doing things "right", and I guess it'll give me more self-confidenc too. I also want to join a union later so that I can work on film and TV, and I think a makeup school would help a lot in improving my techniques.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MacForMe I learned both ways, from cosmotology in school to "trial and error". Plus i read a whole lot.. Doing portraiture photography has helped. My subjects come with bare clean faces and undone hair.. Ya know.. let me post a picture for ya'll to see...
Hope you like it.

Nice pic Lauryn!!

Reaction score
Truly self taught, my mom nor my aunts wear makeup. I would sit in front of the mirror and make up my face, wash it off and start over and over again needless to say when I did this my face was raw before it was over. LOL

Reaction score
Self taught... although I got my inspiration from magazines.

Reaction score
hi all! genie here. i am 50 years old and have been wearing makeup since i was three. i am a makeup junkie and i have taught myself techniques. i do makeup for friends and advise them on purchases. i am, actually, an historian but my true career is makeup, makeup, makeup and more makeup. with 47 years experience i still can't get enough of makeup talk and info with other cosmetic lovers. always your friend

Reaction score
Originally Posted by genie
hi all! genie here. i am 50 years old and have been wearing makeup since i was three. i am a makeup junkie and i have taught myself techniques. i do makeup for friends and advise them on purchases. i am, actually, an historian but my true career is makeup, makeup, makeup and more makeup. with 47 years experience i still can't get enough of makeup talk and info with other cosmetic lovers. always your friend Welcome to MUT! Glad to have you here!

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Nice pic Lauryn!!
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trisha I am self taught also! x OMG SERIOUSLY!???!!... Trisha, you are my hero!!!.. to be that super talented with no formal training is phenomenal...
.. that gives me hope for my MA aspirations/dreams...

Reaction score
i pretty much am self taught,but i did go to school so i could be licensed .i think you just get better with time and practice,and i always had a thing for colors,putting them together in harmony and what not

Reaction score
Quote:
as ive said before, all my favourite artists are self taught, i hate being constricted by rules x
Well said!!!!!!
I think the same

Reaction score
I'm completely 100% self taught. I went through plenty of trial and errors, beauty blunders, and horrible makeup though. I've practiced for years and years to come up to the level I am today:icon_love

Reaction score
I'm definitely self taught, I had to be. I come from an area where there's not alot of makeup choices for black women. I remember going to stores looking for a powder and the darkest shade was for an olive tone. I did alot of experimenting and can now come up with a lot of funky combos for my skin tone.

Latest posts