Something that annoys you about certain mu gurus on youtube

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by magneticheart /img/forum/go_quote.gif I hate it how some gurus (well ones that have a kinda celeb status like it's been mentioned in this thread) will stop in the middle of a tutorial and go "oh btw..." and give an update on what's happening in their life. That bugs me. They should make a seperate video.It frustrates me how a lot of makeup gurus drag out a look that I could do on myself in about 5 minutes into a 12 minute video.

It doesn't bother me if someone wants to talk about their life in the middle of a tutorial. It's better than silence while they are doing something boring and easy like putting on some mascara where no explanation is needed. I just hate having to wait for loading and/or keep having to click a head to skip to the actual body of the video. Also I think a lot of the people who make the vids assume that you are a novice if you are watching the video and go really slow and explain a lot of things for the newer people, so that everyone can try the look. Someone else mentioned about how they cut out certian parts of the look, perhaps putting on the eyelashes, and that SUCKS, because maybe you didn't know how to put them on and you wanted to see it.

Originally Posted by Sirene /img/forum/go_quote.gif Wow I didn't think that such negative comments would come out about people who try to help us.I personnaly love the blabbing and the long videos of gurus I like.

I simply don't suscribe to gurus whom I would not watch for a long time or don't care for.

Yeah I agree. If you dont like it then dont subscribe or watch their videos. They cant make everyone happy and if they become mini celebrities then good for them!

I'm still somewhat relatively new to makeup. I have to say, I hate haul videos. I think they are pointless and it irritates me to see so many of them when I'm trying to search for a specific tutorial and they happen to buy the product used in the tutorial. Even worse are the haul videos that have no talking, just a slideshow of the pictures they took of the products they got!

I tend to avoid watching Youtube for makeup stuff anyhow. I stick to reading reviews cuz like others have mentioned, I don't want to hear bout the personal stuff/whatnot. I just want to get straight to the review.

Originally Posted by emily_3383 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yeah I agree. If you dont like it then dont subscribe or watch their videos. They cant make everyone happy and if they become mini celebrities then good for them! Agreed.

I dont care, ill say it. really irks me lol..dont kill me
eusa_pray.gif

Although her videos are really goood and helpful, I notice her complaining alot about

other gurus copying her or stealing her words.

i said no names mixie but ill let it slide since u said what was on my mind LOL .... I like her reviews but she seems to complain alot about gurus stealing her words LOL...im like is it THAT serious?

Originally Posted by TwinkletOes26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif i said no names mixie but ill let it slide since u said what was on my mind LOL .... I like her reviews but she seems to complain alot about gurus stealing her words LOL...im like is it THAT serious? GOOD im not the only one who thinks this. Did you see the vid where shes like "you know, I think im the one who came up with the hauling word" or something along those lines. And the whole "hey lovlies" situation.... i can go on.

lolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll yes yes and more yes....When shes rude about not being google at the beginning of every vid. Sorry but if you r gonna show people something they are gonna want a link or info about where to get it. LOL

I don't mind haul videos, although to be perfectly honest, i don't watch them.

If they become mini celebrities, good for them, this doesn't mean i will watch more or less of their videos for that reason, i watch what i find interesting. Besides, fame is something so subjective i wouldn't cling on it, just enjoy it while it lasts.

The one thing that annoys me is when they start their videos and share some blah blah, then apply their makeup in a fast forward fashion. Because then you see them showing you their products so you can see the name of the gel eyeliner or of the eyeshadow, except with fast forward it's nearly impossible to see. It annoys me even more when they don't add the list in their comment box, and i have to watch the video several times to discover that name. It kind of kills the purpose of the tutorial.

Originally Posted by emily_3383 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yeah I agree. If you dont like it then dont subscribe or watch their videos. They cant make everyone happy and if they become mini celebrities then good for them! If I don't like them then I don't subscibe and I would never ever leave nasty comments like the haters do, I don't see the point in that. If I don't like the video I turn it off.It's just personal preferance, I don't like long videos or videos about natural looks but that doesn't mean that I think the person doesn't know what they're talking about or isn't talented. It's just not the kind of thing I enjoy watching.

I personally thank a lot of them in deciding on which brands of makeup I get. If there's something that annoys me, it would be: some of them are really brand-oriented, like talking about a certain (esp high-end) nonstop and how them work so well. Just a thought although it is indeed their opinions of what they think of a product, so that's just me. XD

second one: I'm interested in mineral makeup and I search high and low for swatches. i really wish some of them would stop using wet swatches ALONE, because everything shows up wet and I bought some colors the payoff is quite poor. Just a minor thought.

but they become celebs, good job for them! I enjoy most of them but I wish specific ones would stop talking so fast.

I don't have any complaints about any one person that I have watched. I think I have constructive criticism.

I wish all tutorials would list the products they used in the info section. One of the reasons for this is, so I can see a list of what they used, the other is that when I am looking for ideas I often search by the name of a color I have and want to use.

I was recently looking for ideas on what do do with my Deep Truth shadow so I was using that as a search term and didn't get as many hits. Had to search the creative terms people may have come up with for a blue eyeshadow look, and then had to watch the entire video to see what colors were used.

That kind of leads into my other "pet peeve" or it could be a compliment to those that do this. I wish more tutorials would start with the completed look. Either a picture of it, Film the intro after you've applied it and then edit the video so it comes first. There are people that do this so it is possible. I hate sitting through a 10 minute video to discover I don't like the finished look and now I have to go back to searching.

I also agree with some of the other replies, bad lighting and horrible camera quality. I know not everyone can afford a great camera, maybe that person should not yet post MU tutorials on youtube. Something which requires viewers to be able to clearly see what is being done should wait until you are ready. Or don't be surprised when you don't have a lot of subscribers right off. The chatting doesn't bother me too much as long as they keep working since I also generally am interested in or like the people I'm subscribed to and watch. Plus I'm a talker, (clearly), and I can understand.

-Stacey

Originally Posted by Sirene /img/forum/go_quote.gif Wow I didn't think that such negative comments would come out about people who try to help us.I personnaly love the blabbing and the long videos of gurus I like.

I simply don't suscribe to gurus whom I would not watch for a long time or don't care for.

Just because I find them helpful doesn't mean I have to like everything that they do. This is a rant thread after all and we're all entitled to our own opinions.

I only have one problem, and that's lighting. Anything else *respect* for them giving time to do these, cause if they all decided to stop, someone would miss them....

I would just like to add that I agree with Ticki. We're entitled to our own opinions but it might be best not to mention guru names as there may be others on here who might like what we hate about them.

I haven't made a video myself so I don't know how hard it is, but when you see some videos that (correctly) do this, it makes me wish others do it too.

If you don't know what you're going to say, cut out the downtime of either pausing, trying to find your brush, or the "um...oh...what's it called.. I don't remember the word I was trying to say..." and then all of a sudden it's *lightbulb* "oh yeah! that's the word"

Just cut out the previous part and skip to where you just say "This product is ___" ...I'd personally find the slight video picture skipping than listening to 30 sec-2 minutes of "I don't remember what I'm trying to say" or the "did I say that already? I think I might have said that already in this video. Oh well, I still think this of it!"

But I guess I don't know if it's easier just to upload an entire video, or if it's actually easy to watch the video and say cut out the part between 2:17-3:26 or something.

I do not care about the you tube make up gurus at all. I prefer the tutorials to be still images and text.

Originally Posted by Adrienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif I would just like to add that I agree with Ticki. We're entitled to our own opinions but it might be best not to mention guru names as there may be others on here who might like what we hate about them. And with that being said, the one name that I noticed that was thrown in the fire was taken out.

I'm leary when the rave about products that were given to them. I like reviews but I wonder if they are being 100% honest or if they just want more free stuff.

Long videos

Too much talking

bad lighting

and there is a certain guru who feels the need to put a disclaimer at the beginning of her vids....annoying!

Back