Something that annoys you about certain mu gurus on youtube

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as one who does YT tutorials/reviews/etc... i find this thread quite enlightening
smile.gif

Poor lightiing is my main problem with them, or poor sound. I also don't like when their music in the background is a little too loud, I can find that distracting. That is pretty much it though. If I don't like what I am seeing, I will close it. It takes guts to put yourself out there, especially on youtube. What may not seem useful to you, may be a wealth of information to someone else.

Originally Posted by Flowind /img/forum/go_quote.gif I personally thank a lot of them in deciding on which brands of makeup I get. If there's something that annoys me, it would be: some of them are really brand-oriented, like talking about a certain (esp high-end) nonstop and how them work so well. Just a thought although it is indeed their opinions of what they think of a product, so that's just me. XD
second one: I'm interested in mineral makeup and I search high and low for swatches. i really wish some of them would stop using wet swatches ALONE, because everything shows up wet and I bought some colors the payoff is quite poor. Just a minor thought.

but they become celebs, good job for them! I enjoy most of them but I wish specific ones would stop talking so fast.

To Flowind: I unfortunately have not tried this brand, but I did look at some loose eyeshadow by NYX (ironically, I found out about it from a youtube guru). I scrolled down on the site and saw that they are made from mica, titanium oxide, and/or iron oxide. Maybe that would help.
Back to the subject: I normally don't have a problem with the gurus that I watch. I only wish that one of them would improve the sound quality of the videos (I hate turning my speaker volume up high just to forget about it until the next video gives me a loud reminder).

Originally Posted by Aprill /img/forum/go_quote.gif And with that being said, the one name that I noticed that was thrown in the fire was taken out. How does it affect the people who do like them tho? If someone doesnt like a guru I like... Oh well...thats their opinion. Just asking.
irked.gif

Originally Posted by emily /img/forum/go_quote.gif as one who does YT tutorials/reviews/etc... i find this thread quite enlightening
smile.gif
Heyyy emily im subbed to you...i actually like you i havents seen you do any of these things. I liked your nail polish collection vids they gave me some ideas on what to get for good looking nails. I like your vids you always do work appropriate makeup gives me idea for when i start working.

Small world did not know you were here
smile.gif

Everyone does something thats annoying to others whether it be on youtube,friends family ect ect ect lol. I just said no names cos i dont wanna make this a rag on ~insert names~ thread...lol

i only watch the gurus i want to watch so i think they are pretty damn awesome lol.

on the other hand there is a reason i close the others videos, poor lighting/sound/missing parts and over posed photos at the end. etc.

I don't mind hearing about whats happening in their lives, I subscribe to a few channels and even though one girl cuts out when she does lashes and liners i still think she is great
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Sirene /img/forum/go_quote.gif Wow I didn't think that such negative comments would come out about people who try to help us.I personnaly love the blabbing and the long videos of gurus I like.

I simply don't suscribe to gurus whom I would not watch for a long time or don't care for.

iagree.gif
The ones that I dont care for I simply don't subscribe to. And yes some of the gurus can be a little off topic from time to time and ramble about their lives but I've learned SO much from watching youtube make videos that I don't mind "getting to know" more about the guru. If it wasn't for them and this board, I'd probably still be pretty much lost when it came to makeup.

I have to say i give them ( a big wow you got guts to do what you do) because is not easy putting your self out there and have to deal with rude comments from people and still got courage to place more videos, and i have to agree with some of you guys whatever someone don't like other people like and for those of you here who are makeup gurus or are not makeup gurus but do a hell of a job i give you a big round of applause because i don't have the courage to let people from all around the world see my face.

i havnt watch too many tutorials on youtube, but my 16 year old has. the only thing she said she hates is when they title their video as a 'tutorial' and it ends up NOT being a tutorial at all. she's searching out videos to learn better techniques.

she did tell me she leaves feedback to make it clear they need to remove the word 'tutorial'.

how she worded it for them is proably something i dont even want to know
smile.gif

this thread has been very informative..I just started doing my own yt videos and I know some of things arent perfect..camera quality.But this thread has brought some light to up coming videos..and everyone has the right to their thoughts..what I like you may not like

Originally Posted by esha /img/forum/go_quote.gif I also hate when a 5 minute video is turned into a 20 min one. OMG!!!! I can't stand that!!!! I can't even watch past the first couple of minutes when they're like, "yeah.... so.... um....." - and then when they talk too much!!!!! It just burns my butter!!!!!
w00t.gif
w00t.gif

I actually enjoy some of the things mentioned here, like babbling (if it's entertaining) and haul videos, but what I can't stand is when they get a little bit popular and an EGO develops! I've noticed one person whom every comment seems to be condescending towards the person who asked the question. They act like they're an idiot because they didnt know something! I mean, although I love it, it is ONLY makeup..lol...and it's youtube. Please don't act like youre the Queen shizzz!

Originally Posted by Mixie87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif How does it affect the people who do like them tho? If someone doesnt like a guru I like... Oh well...thats their opinion. Just asking.
irked.gif
Let me make this as clear as possible. Me removing names has nothing to do with who so and so likes. But it is not your place to come on here naming names and bashing people that cannot defend themselves. Complain all you want, that's your right. Talk about what you do and dont like...that's your right. Start throwing out names...im removing it. If you put in time, effort, and heart into doing something that you are proud of and someone DIRECTLY called your name, and you found out about it, and you were not a member of this website you would come full force to the person that called you out with drama. Then I or another moderator has to come in and intervene.
I hate to be mean about the situation, but throwing inuendos and not directly calling names is fine for this website, but dont call names, and if you hate these people so much that you have to call them out, dont watch them. Just answering
bandit.gif

Now I hardly Ever watch them But once my friend did one & I wanted to see it so than ya know after you watch theres others that are popping up so I wanted to see some skills.................wtf? Now I seen this one chick (couldnt remember her name if i tried) But her makeup looked good all glittery but theres a kid in the bak & this supposed "MUA" is turning around every so often asking the kid if shes ok...............Ok I wonder how she is during a job? Its like dude get a sitter or at least wait till shes asleep & if this is your job as a MUA try being professional a bit!!!

I also seen a Girls doing a "Chola" look........... wtf? Contrary to what ppl may think a "chola" is not a look! "cholas" may have a certain similiarity in how they look But they do not all do their makeup the same. Now I can understand Like our past DTB where ppl are replicating cholas in movies or what they feel they think a "chola" looks like But doing a Tutorial.......no no no!!! You cant teach someone how to look like soething they know nothing about, its not a "Smokey Eye" or A NAtural Or Glamour look!!!

I personally like the vids where there is just music words & pics No talking Because Some of these girls are just ........LAME!! I think theres a place to be Your "kick back" self but when teaching or giving a lesson Please act like you know what your talking about!!!

We believe everyone has honest opinions. Also ladies please understand that new and innovative companies may grace the screen of some guru's but how do you think the companies such as MAC,Chanel etc.. also got started? not youtube but very similar ways in each generation. Just because there are new comers there is no need to push them away. Be brave and dare yourself to try something new you may like it, love it or hate it! Atleast when you talk about it you will be well informed from personal experience.

Originally Posted by Scarlette /img/forum/go_quote.gif I hate it when they become a semi-celebrity just because they have a video camera and a collection of makeup. Not too long ago, I saw a news program that featured one of these "makeup artists" on YouTube. WHY?? Call me jealous or crazy, but I seriously do not think people deserve fame just from posting a couple You tube videos.
Panecea is doing great with her makeup tututorials. I think she deserves fame.

To each their own.

Back