(SPOILER) Birchbox: The June boxes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, just to muddle the waters a bit--and this is in NO way to disparage the beauty boxes AT ALL--here's an example of some things I picked up yesterday:

Butter London nail strips in Leopard--ARV $10

Tresemme travel-size shampoo/conditioner--ARV $1.98

Burt's Bees Tips and Toes Kit--ARV $13, contains 

• Almond Milk Hand Creme (0.25 oz)
  • Hand Salve (0.3 oz)
  • Thoroughly Therapeutic Honey & Grapeseed Hand Creme (0.75 oz)
  • Coconut Foot Creme (0.75 oz)
  • Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream (0.3 oz)
  • Replenishing Lip Balm (0.15 oz)
Rimmel Glam'Eyes Day 2 Night Mascara--ARV $8

Now, yes, the majority of these items ARE drugstore (although the higher-quality drugstore items), but this was just a completely unplanned shopping trip (aka I did not bring any coupons with me) where I purchased several items I have not yet tried--and my total cost before tax was $8.35--less than the cost of ANY of the beauty boxes and with an ARV of $32.98 with at least one full-size item. Not bad when compared to some of the beauty boxes we've gotten, eh?
CVS is a magical wonderland of beauty steals, to be honest, lol. 

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

CVS is a magical wonderland of beauty steals, to be honest, lol. 
Yep, you saw my FB post about it; the Butter London strips were ULTA clearance for $5, which is how I got to the final total :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Do the drastic price differences bother anyone else? $16 then $50? Really?
E I am totally disappointed by the value difference. This was my first box and I received box 16. I was so upset. I opened it at my mothers thinking how much she loves samples and might be interested in joining birchbox. She said there would no she would pay $10 for what I received in my box. I'll give it another month or two. If it doesn't improve I guess I'll ask for a refund. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

People don't get offended, but I don't see how getting a box with a more expensive item is going to satisfy whatever wants you have...what if it doesn't work for you? Does the difference in value boggle the mind? Sometimes, but isn't the point of BB to expose you to new/different items that you'll love and want to repurchase? There were plenty of people who received the Stila bronzer and went happy because it was an item they couldn't/wouldn't USE! It's $10 mo for samples and exposure to new beauty related items and occasionally, a full size tossed in. I love this forum, but for the peeps who suffer from box envy may benefit from not checking spoilers and stuff. Sorry if I sound like a whiny boob, but it's a service we opt into, so we pay and risk every month. Probably most people discovered something in their box they adored.

I agree!  I truly think that it is IMPOSSIBLE to make EVERYONE happy ALL the time.  What one person loves another may or may not.  The Stila bronzer is a perfect example.  Some REALLY wanted it & others who rec'd it are putting it up for trade.  

I started BB in April & signed up for a 2nd acct in May. 

My April box had the expired Befine samples (I already have a skincare program, so I wasn't over the moon about these), but then we rec'd 100 pts which basically is a refund for the ENTIRE box.  In that "free" box was also the Amika hair mask which I would not have picked out, but rec'd it & tried it & LOVE it & purchased the full-size.

My May boxes contained the not so full Dr Jart samples (I don't think it was a BB error so much as a tube too large for the sample - like the Apothederm stretch mark cream which I rec'd this month - it is the same one that Beauty Army is sending out).  However, I also rec'd the Algenist Eye Balm (which is great, but not $65 great to me) and the Ojon volumizing shampoo in one box & the Fresh Sugar Rose tinted lip treatment spf 15 and a cute hair tie in the other.

This month I did rec the Stila bronzer in one box (again not something I would have went out looking for, but tried it & have been using it everyday since).  My other box came late due to being SMASHED by the post office.  I sent pics to BB asking them to file a complaint with the post office & they are sending me another box!

I have only good things to say about BB.  I have found something great in each of my boxes (like I said - these are products which I would not have gone looking for but ended up getting, trying & loving).  The Befine samples & smashed box (which was in no way their fault) was taken care of quickly, so no complaints from me on their customer service.  Not to forget the points system, the discount codes, free shipping!  BB is my favorite sub & if I had to pick only one to subscribe to it would be BB.  I LOVE all of the spoilers, "wishing" for certain items, seeing what everyone opens up, trying something new, reading reviews, etc.  I know that some are not always happy, but you can trade items or give them away.  As long as I don't get 4-5 tiny samples (like perfume vials) I'll be happy.  I don't think that others should get upset if they do not rec a full-size item (remember we are signed up for a SAMPLE subscription).  The full-size are a great "bonus".  Hope that everyone gets something great in their July box & tries something new (you never know until you try it)!

I wanted to give a quick review on the Self Tanning Towelettes Intensive Color.

I have medium skin tone, but on the lighter side. I used one towelette for both legs. I got a nice even color, and its not orange, but I do wish it was a little darker tan. I will have to use another on my chest and arms so I can match
smile.gif
 But overall, they worked for me and I recommend them for medium ladies. Although there is nothing intense about it, so I don't know why fair skinned gals cant use them. I say go for it, you may surprise yourself and like it!

Side note: I also have a St. Tropez self tanner and it works just as well as these towelettes, however I have to use A LOT of the self tanner (since its a lotion) to get the same effect.

Oh, and it took over a few hours for the final color to show/settle. So after an hour, I was like 'thats it?' but now looking at my legs they are a nice tan
wink.gif

Originally Posted by yanelib27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wanted to give a quick review on the Self Tanning Towelettes Intensive Color.

I have medium skin tone, but on the lighter side. I used one towelette for both legs. I got a nice even color, and its not orange, but I do wish it was a little darker tan. I will have to use another on my chest and arms so I can match
smile.gif
 But overall, they worked for me and I recommend them for medium ladies. Although there is nothing intense about it, so I don't know why fair skinned gals cant use them. I say go for it, you may surprise yourself and like it!

Side note: I also have a St. Tropez self tanner and it works just as well as these towelettes, however I have to use A LOT of the self tanner (since its a lotion) to get the same effect.

Oh, and it took over a few hours for the final color to show/settle. So after an hour, I was like 'thats it?' but now looking at my legs they are a nice tan
wink.gif

I'm more to the light side...light medium? but have fairly pale legs. When I tried the Intensive wipes...I was a lot darker and very noticeable lol. Especially since I missed a spot around my ankle. I think the Intensives might be too dark for super fair skinned girls who only want a little glow.

Back