(Spoiler) New Beauty Test Tube Spring-Summer 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My test tube came. I am NOT impressed.

I've been subscribed to NBBT for years and this is one of the weaker tubes for sure.

It is definitely not the 150 dollar value promised on the site!

I think it's worth a call to CS to let them know.

I received the QVC version today - I wasn't very excited at first until I dug deeper into the box:

I thought there was yet another bottle of Wen (which I have only received in the cucumber scent in the tube and I couldn't stand it) but instead of the cleansing conditioner there was the replenishing mist which I have been dying to try.  I got it in fig which is my fave Wen scent so that was even better.  There was also a Tarte Skinny SmolderEyes pencil and the other Tarte pencil was my favorite product out of any box. Lots of other company repeats although there were mostly new products excepting the Josie Maran Argan Oil which was in the Fall box I think.  In all I received the following:

Tarte Skinny SmolderEYES full size pencil in sunstone bronze (no box)
Wen Replenishing Treatment Mist in Fig 6 oz.
Algenist Triple Action Micro Polish and Peel 1 oz. (boxed tube)
Peter Thomas Roth Anti-Aging Cleansing Gel 1 oz. (travel size bottle)
Perfect Formula Manicure Booster Primer and Sealer .60 oz. (full size)
Philosophy Hope in a Jar Night .4 oz (sample tube)
Josie Maran Argan Oil 5ml .17 oz (same size as a previous tube but no box this time)
Mally Volumizing Mascara in Black .39 oz (boxed, full size)

I am hoping that the regular NBTT got my email asking if I could cancel.  One product features papaya enzymes and in the past I had a terrible reaction to another product containing that.  They haven't responded although I sent it several days ago.  If it shows up anyway I will be trading it.

I was not impressed with the regular NBTT this season, so it made me real hesitant to subscribe to this box. I did, however, really like what I saw in the QVC one, so I ordered that tube for this month (non repeating). I guess I will just buy the ones I see and like. Do the regular test tubes usually have so many drugstore products in them? 

My Tube arrived and it contained everything that was listed on the website for this quarter.  I calculated the total value at $81.35; much lower than the advertised value on the website of $150.  This is my 5th tube and I've noticed a steady decline in product value since I began my subscription last year.  Does anyone think there will be an upturn in product value for future tubes or is this the new normal? 

Originally Posted by StickyLips /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My Tube arrived and it contained everything that was listed on the website for this quarter.  I calculated the total value at $81.35; much lower than the advertised value on the website of $150.  This is my 5th tube and I've noticed a steady decline in product value since I began my subscription last year.  Does anyone think there will be an upturn in product value for future tubes or is this the new normal? 
Would you mind posting your valuation? I think we should all contact CS and find out what is going on. (ie, complain). There is strength in numbers.

I am sorry to say that, but it's not right to promise (guarantee) a $150 value and deliver half the worth. That's totally false advertising.

I have been with NBTT since the beginning (about 5 years) and I have seen some AMAZING tubes and some so so ones.

But the quality is seriously declining now. I am hoping it's temporary.

Also did anyone ever receive an email that explained that the Tube was going to be every other month instead of quarterly?

Originally Posted by LisaLeah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Would you mind posting your valuation? I think we should all contact CS and find out what is going on. (ie, complain). There is strength in numbers.

I am sorry to say that, but it's not right to promise (guarantee) a $150 value and deliver half the worth. That's totally false advertising.

I have been with NBTT since the beginning (about 5 years) and I have seen some AMAZING tubes and some so so ones.

Also did anyone ever receive an email that explained that the Tube was going to be every other month instead of quarterly?
I never received any notice of the change in frequency of the Test Tubes, and would not have known if I had not read about it here.

Originally Posted by Lulubelle107 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I never received any notice of the change in frequency of the Test Tubes, and would not have known if I had not read about it here.
Same here.

Originally Posted by LisaLeah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here is a copy of the spreadsheet that I keep for each one of my subs.  I included info on the tube for the previous year to illustrate the significant decline in 'free product' value which I determine by subtracting the cost of the tube from the total value of the contents.  Hope this helps.  And no, I didn't receive an email informing me of the change from quarterly tubes to bi-monthly tubes.

Test Tube Beauty            April 2013                   Product Size Color Value Review Buy John Frieda Blow-Out Spray 1 oz   1.49     Suki Exfoliate Foaming Cleanser 1 oz   8.24     Clear Scalp & Hair Shampoo 1.7 oz   0.67     Clear Scalp & Hair Conditioner 1.7 oz   0.8     Paula Dorf Baby Eyes Enhancer .02 oz   10     Phyto Botanical Hair Relaxing Balm 1.7 oz   13.39     June Jacobs Papaya Purifying Enzyme Masque 1.6 oz   26.81     Forever Young Face Wrap 2   10     New Beauty Magazine 1   9.95                     Total Value 81.35         Cost  29.95         Shipping 8.95         Tax 0                     FREE VALUE 42.45                     Test Tube Beauty           April 2012                   Product Size Color Value Review Buy Moroccanoil Frizz Control Full   32 good hydration, non oily, love it Y NeoStrata Skin Active Celluar Restoration .5 oz   22.58 good hydration Y SkinCeuticals Phloretin CF 5 ml   25.35 fragrance free N SkinCeuticals Sheer Physical UV Defense SPF 50 8 ml   3.36 white cast N Perlier Grapefruit Foam Bath 2.5 oz   4.15 slight grapefruit smell, creamy N YBF Eye Liner Full Plum Noir 14.5 gave to Lacey Love N Dr. Brandt Pores no More Vaccum Cleaner .4 oz   16.5 gave to Joe, no change in pores N Olay Regenerist Wrinkle Revolution Complex .23 oz   6.51 strong scent, threw out N Mally Eye Shadow Stick Full Platinum 25 beautiful silver, super glide, good coverage, no smell Y Memoire Liquide Perfume .89 ml Vacances 1 didn't like, gave to Lacey Love N Memoire Liquide Perfume .89 ml Soleil 1 didn't like, gave to Lacey Love N Memoire Liquide Crème de la Crème 1.7 oz Amour 16.5 slight rose smell, good hydration, like body butter N NewBeauty Magazine 1   9.95   N             Substitute for small glass jar of  Perlier moisturizing cream   Total Value 178.4     Substitute for Dr. Brandt BB cream   Cost  29.95         Shipping 8.95         Tax n/a                     FREE VALUE 139.5                

So is everything is sample size? And they have the gall to include their coupons as value?! I'm definitely done with the sub. I was much happier with the qvc one anyhow, plus I can decide whether I order that one or not. Also, I was never informed of the changes in frequency either. For $40 there should at least be a full size item. I would much rather continue my gamble with Musthave Popsugar for that! lol

Originally Posted by smartinoff /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So is everything is sample size? And they have the gall to include their coupons as value?! I'm definitely done with the sub. I was much happier with the qvc one anyhow, plus I can decide whether I order that one or not. Also, I was never informed of the changes in frequency either. For $40 there should at least be a full size item. I would much rather continue my gamble with Musthave Popsugar for that! lol
Everything is sample size.  If the company is including the coupons in the advertised value of $150 then I guess that would make sense.  I don't use the coupons so I don't include them in my statistics.  I'm going to unsub from the tube and keep my birchbox, glossybox, and sample society.

Originally Posted by StickyLips /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here is a copy of the spreadsheet that I keep for each one of my subs.  I included info on the tube for the previous year to illustrate the significant decline in 'free product' value which I determine by subtracting the cost of the tube from the total value of the contents.  Hope this helps.  And no, I didn't receive an email informing me of the change from quarterly tubes to bi-monthly tubes.

Test Tube Beauty            April 2013                   Product Size Color Value Review Buy John Frieda Blow-Out Spray 1 oz   1.49     Suki Exfoliate Foaming Cleanser 1 oz   8.24     Clear Scalp & Hair Shampoo 1.7 oz   0.67     Clear Scalp & Hair Conditioner 1.7 oz   0.8     Paula Dorf Baby Eyes Enhancer .02 oz   10     Phyto Botanical Hair Relaxing Balm 1.7 oz   13.39     June Jacobs Papaya Purifying Enzyme Masque 1.6 oz   26.81     Forever Young Face Wrap 2   10     New Beauty Magazine 1   9.95                     Total Value 81.35         Cost  29.95         Shipping 8.95         Tax 0                     FREE VALUE 42.45                     Test Tube Beauty           April 2012                   Product Size Color Value Review Buy Moroccanoil Frizz Control Full   32 good hydration, non oily, love it Y NeoStrata Skin Active Celluar Restoration .5 oz   22.58 good hydration Y SkinCeuticals Phloretin CF 5 ml   25.35 fragrance free N SkinCeuticals Sheer Physical UV Defense SPF 50 8 ml   3.36 white cast N Perlier Grapefruit Foam Bath 2.5 oz   4.15 slight grapefruit smell, creamy N YBF Eye Liner Full Plum Noir 14.5 gave to Lacey Love N Dr. Brandt Pores no More Vaccum Cleaner .4 oz   16.5 gave to Joe, no change in pores N Olay Regenerist Wrinkle Revolution Complex .23 oz   6.51 strong scent, threw out N Mally Eye Shadow Stick Full Platinum 25 beautiful silver, super glide, good coverage, no smell Y Memoire Liquide Perfume .89 ml Vacances 1 didn't like, gave to Lacey Love N Memoire Liquide Perfume .89 ml Soleil 1 didn't like, gave to Lacey Love N Memoire Liquide Crème de la Crème 1.7 oz Amour 16.5 slight rose smell, good hydration, like body butter N NewBeauty Magazine 1   9.95   N             Substitute for small glass jar of  Perlier moisturizing cream   Total Value 178.4     Substitute for Dr. Brandt BB cream   Cost  29.95         Shipping 8.95         Tax n/a                     FREE VALUE 139.5                
Thank you so much for posting this.

I remember last April's tube...it was light years better!

Thanks again!

Just got an email that my Test Tube was delivered, but I never received a shipping notice. Will let you know what came in my box if it's different from what has been posted. This is my first tube, so I might still try it out for a few more months before canceling it.

Just opened first TestTube and it was the WORST.  No full size items, several of the items were drug store brands...I just don't see the value at all!

BOO!!

I agree that this is a dreadful tube and disappointment (especially since the Clear samples were available for free by request from the company for months) however the face wrap things in the packets are full size and there were two in mine, unfortunately they were identical.

I was a little disappointed with my tube this time too.  The QVC one seemed better this time.  

I'll get use out of everything and am curious to try the scrub and masks and hair products (but I agree the shampoo and conditioner are not terribly exciting to me).  

I certainly agree this was a very weak box!  Remember, there is power in numbers and some constructive criticism/ professional comments to that effect can go a long way. 

Received my tube today, and there may be some variation in the Phyto products, as I received the Phytomist Instant Hydrating Conditioner for Color Treated Hair, not the Hair Relaxing Balm.  I believe I received the Hair Relaxing Balm in the tube before this. 

I cancelled my subscription. Fortunately, you can do it through your account page now, instead of just emailing them.

Back