(Spoilers) Julep April 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by kira685 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

March was the last month to receive one if March had been your 3rd box in a row. They discontinued the promotion starting April. Some of us have just been sitting on our codes for a must have deal
smile.gif

I only ever got one code, though I have gotten all of the boxes. Not a huge deal, just a bit of a bummer. 

My Flora is thin as all hell. I went to paint my (super short) nails with it and I had to use so many coats that by the time the polish was opaque, I had used (no exaggeration) probably around an eighth of the bottle.

Quote: Originally Posted by hrhvittoria /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  My Flora is thin as all hell. I went to paint my (super short) nails with it and I had to use so many coats that by the time the polish was opaque, I had used (no exaggeration) probably around an eighth of the bottle.
I'm sorry yours was thin. I haven't swatched mine or anything yet, I think I'll probably use it over a white (or similarly) colored base to alleviate this problem. I love the color though. 

I'm relatively new to Julep.  I've seen a couple people posting that they wished that they had "upgraded" their monthly box.  Can someone explain what that means? I tried to look through their FAQs but can't find an answer. It just says that one can indeed upgrade.

Quote: Originally Posted by mishmish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm relatively new to Julep.  I've seen a couple people posting that they wished that they had "upgraded" their monthly box.  Can someone explain what that means? I tried to look through their FAQs but can't find an answer. It just says that one can indeed upgrade.
Every month on the 20th, you get access to the box selection page. You can either stick with the box for your current beauty profile ("it Girl", "Classic with a Twist" etc.) or change to a different profile, or upgrade your box. There are also add ons, and you can "add-on" up to 3 products/boxes at a discounted rate. The Polish Lovers upgrade is $25 more ($45 total) to get all 9 polishes from that month. The Deluxe Upgrade is $35 more ($55 total) for all 9 polishes and 1 or 2 of the beauty products that month (amount varies). The Ultimate Upgrade is $55 more ($75 total) for all 9 polishes and all the beauty products for that month. The add ons consist of some add on exclusive polishes that aren't in any of the boxes, you have to add them on to get them. You can also add on any of the polish colors, or products, or even a whole box for a discounted rate. Polish add ons for instance are $5 instead of the usual $11.20 Maven price.

Quote: Originally Posted by Kelly Silva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Every month on the 20th, you get access to the box selection page. You can either stick with the box for your current beauty profile ("it Girl", "Classic with a Twist" etc.) or change to a different profile, or upgrade your box. There are also add ons, and you can "add-on" up to 3 products/boxes at a discounted rate. The Polish Lovers upgrade is $25 more ($45 total) to get all 9 polishes from that month. The Deluxe Upgrade is $35 more ($55 total) for all 9 polishes and 1 or 2 of the beauty products that month (amount varies). The Ultimate Upgrade is $55 more ($75 total) for all 9 polishes and all the beauty products for that month. The add ons consist of some add on exclusive polishes that aren't in any of the boxes, you have to add them on to get them. You can also add on any of the polish colors, or products, or even a whole box for a discounted rate. Polish add ons for instance are $5 instead of the usual $11.20 Maven price.
Thanks!  You should write their FAQs :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Rumor has it that Julep is charging people who used the perk codes full price. I have read comments on several blogs about people saying they are getting charged full price instead of the discount. I don't know how much truth is behind it, but just a heads up. I checked mine and the price has not altered as of yet. I used the perk30 discount.

Here are the pictures that I promised with a bonus of my son, who gets more excited about the wrapping materials and boxes that my beauty products come in than I do about the products themselves!

It's the Bombshell Welcome Box, Billie Jean (which I'm not too happy with, and I'm going to have to buy a polish thinner to be able to use), Monica, and the Stardusters duo. Super loving the Mighty Serum too.  I have issues with hangnails, so hopefully this will be my solution! 

Also, here's my Stardusters duo painted on.  My nails aren't as pretty as most of yours probably are, as I type for a living, and if I don't keep them short I lose my mind!

So. I caved.

What is it with 2 a.m. shopping?

Anyway, I ended up with Emerson Mystery Box. I debated back and forth, but since I have a Hard Candy shade in a speckled purple tone from last yeart his seemed the better option. I ended up getting it even though the codes no longer seem to work, WITH the mystery option add on. I hope I don't regret everything in the morning. Mostly I think this was the result of months of restraint, as my husband was laid off for nearly six months and things got tight. But he is working again and things are looking up and...

Now I have more nail polish.

I'll let everyone know how that goes.

Rumor has it that Julep is charging people who used the perk codes full price. I have read comments on several blogs about people saying they are getting charged full price instead of the discount. I don't know how much truth is behind it, but just a heads up. I checked mine and the price has not altered as of yet. I used the perk30 discount.
That is true. I am one of the people that used the code and shows it works when I press place order. However when billing comes, it shows full price.

I just used Elisa from last month and same thing. I think it's the thinnest polish I've ever seen. Hopefully they were just bad batches!

I received my box yesterday and- I haven't read the whole thread so I may be pointing out the obvious- the polishes don't look very much like the pictures on the site. I know we all know Julep photoshops (often quite poorly) so this probably isn't news to anyone but me haha.

Mariska, the orange, turned out to be a matte polish. Caitlin is not totally matte but definitely leans that way rather than a normal shiny finish. And I'm holding my finished manicured next to the screen right now and it's not even close to the same colour. Maybe my computer's colour is off? Caitlin looks like a warm medium pink with gold shimmer on the site, but on me it's a very vivid, almost highlighter pink. Not a complaint exactly but definitely not what I was expecting. 

Quote: Originally Posted by Jstull1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i bought a gift card with perk30 yesterday and so far, the temp charge on my credit card is the discounted price.  However, knowing what was happening to others, I took screen shots and will fight to the death if they try to switch it!  I didn't authorize full price, so at that point, its a credit card dispute and julep will lose that game.

Yeah they lost the mystery box sale for me with discontinuing the use of the codes. Not a crisis since I really don't need it, so oh well!

Wow it feels like I've been under a rock the last couple of weeks! Let me just say that this month had some of the best Secret Store selections I've ever seen. I ended up using Perk30 for Secret Surprise #1 & OilPerk along with the Mighty Might-Tee gift set & an order of buffing blocks. I should receive these items any day now. As for my box...
The biggest surprise for me was Maren. I had no idea I would fall in love so hard over that color. Initially I was most excited about Flora, but after using all 3 shades my mind changed drastically. & it's not like Flora & Bailey are bad polishes in the slightest--but they were a little patchy after 2 coats, & quite frankly Maren stole their thunder. Also just a few peaks of curiosity: what exactly was the theme this month? Was it just brights & sheers? & what are the flavors of the 2 candies? I haven't touched them yet.

Oh, & I'm definitely not interested in the mystery boxes this month. I already have Mottle & Scarce from Illamasqua, so even though they're beautiful & fun speckled polishes are nothing new. I'm glad more companies are hopping on that bandwagon, but I'm content with what I already own.

Quote: Originally Posted by Jstull1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

After seeing most of the fine print on the perk card in the picture posted, Julep really needs to do a better job of setting up the coupon code exclusions on their site, as in do it before people use the code, not midstream when the codes are being used. Tsk, tsk Julep. Shame on you.

Granted, if the I knew the code really didn't work in advance I'd be less likely to make a purchase than if the code worked when it really shouldn't have. Maybe this is their plan all along, let you use the code when you really shouldn't be, then tell you that you weren't supposed to use it and charge you full price hoping you'll shrug it off and keep the order. (again, all my thoughts here none of this has been proven fact to my knowledge yet.)

After seeing most of the fine print on the perk card in the picture posted, Julep really needs to do a better job of setting up the coupon code exclusions on their site, as in do it before people use the code, not midstream when the codes are being used. Tsk, tsk Julep. Shame on you. Granted, if the I knew the code really didn't work in advance I'd be less likely to make a purchase than if the code worked when it really shouldn't have. Maybe this is their plan all along, let you use the code when you really shouldn't be, then tell you that you weren't supposed to use it and charge you full price hoping you'll shrug it off and keep the order. (again, all my thoughts here none of this has been proven fact to my knowledge yet.)
Thank God that didn't happen to me. You would think that they would let go of a promo code mishap on their end & just make a note of it for next time, instead of tracing every person that used the code & saying, "Hey sorry, but you're not supposed to save money right now. We're just gonna pretend you never used a promo code in the 1st place & you're gonna have to fork over some more cash." How unprofessional & borderline criminal of Julep.

I used the PERK30 discount code on March 31, and my bank account was charged accordingly (meaning they honored the discount/code).

Latest posts

Back