(Spoilers) Julep July 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since it wouldn't let me use Jules on the main box, I customized that to Braiden, Lissa (I know I must have 10 colors like this already, but it's just so pretty!), and the Mint Condition Pedi Creme.

Then I used 2000 Jules to add on the Maven Luxe, so I'll also get the Bare Body Milk, Bare Body Polish, and Beach Tonic oil.

Hopefully they don't realize that the Maven Luxe should cost more than 2000 Jules...

Not impressed with this collection at all, but since I still can't plucking skip, I'm going Bombshell with 2 color fans and the correcting pen as add-ons. I want the stardusts, but at the same time, I know I'm going to have mixed feelings about them if I get them because I hate their formula and how easily they chip when I wear them sans top coat like I'm supposed to.
Surprisingly enough, the stardusts are the one thing Julep does right, and I wish they'd release a full stardust collection Right Nao. I've never had a problem with them chipping, but then I only wear polish for a couple of days before changing it out. The normal polishes are another story.

I was hoping that enough would be meh to skip, but I'm going with It Girl and adding on the red stardust + base coat. I'm pleasantly surprised at the base coat, and it also seems to be whitening my badly stained nails (yellow from a teal polish then pink from a purple polish, so they had this funky stain gradient going on). I can justify the $10 add on for the base coat as I've used Butter's Nail Foundation which is almost $20 for a full sized bottle.

On an annoying note, I see that we're back to One Hand Swatch to Rule Them All.

I guess.... I am skipping??? The bombshell tempts me but in reality I have a similar blue.  I don't have anything like that purple, but I'm not really interested in the body milk, so really I'd be getting a box for one polish. Plus I have way too much polish, and also could really stand to save the money. Okay.  Yeah.  Must skip.

Yep.  I KNEW they were going to raise the price of Add Ons once they started the new customizable My Maven program.  Little by little, it feels like Julep is trying to force all Mavens to join that program.  It's all getting so complicated, in my opinion.  I feel like I have to have a calculator and a notepad handy just to choose some damn nail polishes and beauty products in order to make sure I get the best deal.  Otherwise, I feel like I'm getting screwed. 
I feel this way too.  I saved my selection and honestly did not even realize the price difference until I saw others posting about it on FB.  I went back and checked and sure enough it was 6.99 (not their fault I didn't notice though).  I like how it lets you play with the customization this month just to see but frankly I don't see the appeal.  I couldn't switch the pedi cream for the scrub and the ONLY color I want this month is Vicki.  I wish we could swap out for last months colors too.

They are good colors, just not if you've been a maven for a long time. They are the ones raising prices and narrowing our flexibility so I feel like it's on them to make the collections a little more original.  It'd still be worth the money if the colors are great.

I was disappointed the add-ons are $6.99 now, but I really wanterd Lissa and Braiden.

I was totally going to skip this month, but i need to re-up on my mint condition and i'm intrigued by the body milk so..  Modern Beauty, here I come!

I decided to add on the sparklers trio (two textures!), lissa (i am powerless against turquoise), and 

braiden.  Everything else was sooooooooooooo blah and not terribly exciting to me.  

You know, the more I look at braiden, the less exciting it is to me.  Yeah, it's a texture and I loved the dark turquoise stardust from last month, but I'm just kind of meh about it.  I'm glad I have a few days to rest on it.

i signed up in march (maybe - or April) and have never skipped. it's saying I dont have any skips available. Does that seem right?

They are good colors, just not if you've been a maven for a long time. They are the ones raising prices and narrowing our flexibility so I feel like it's on them to make the collections a little more original.  It'd still be worth the money if the colors are great.
Yes, this.  I really like the colors A LOT, but if you already have a lot of Julep (or a lot of polish in general) they are not exciting and you're likely to have near dupes of all or almost all of them (the only one I don't have a near dupe for in this whole collection is the purple Beverly one). Like, I have almost 200 polishes.  If I am going to be really tempted by a polish, it has to be more unique/interesting than what Julep is putting out. I agree it would still be worth the $ to me if they put out more unique colors.

Last edited by a moderator:
i signed up in march (maybe - or April) and have never skipped. it's saying I dont have any skips available. Does that seem right?
Yes, I think the way the program is now, you have to take six boxes before you "earn" a skip. I've also heard of people just calling and saying they can't afford it this month, and Julep is able to process a skip over the phone. No guarantee, but you could try.

Okay, I decided I wasn't all that keen on the sparklers after all.  i just got lissa and beverly - the bombshell polishes - as add-ons since i had enough jules to get one of them free.

Yes, this.  I really like the colors A LOT, but if you already have a lot of Julep (or a lot of polish in general) they are not exciting and you're likely to have near dupes of all or almost all of them (the only one I don't have a near dupe for in this whole collection is the purple Beverly one). Like, I have almost 200 polishes.  If I am going to be really tempted by a polish, it has to be more unique/interesting than what Julep is putting out. I agree it would still be worth the $ to me if they put out more unique colors.
Precisely this.  I'm pushing 300 polish colors so it's really hard to get a color that's not a dupe of something else.  I didn't have anything like beverly yet, though, surprisingly. And I'm really over the amount of product in their bottles for the price they're charging.

I know we all buy indie brands that are 3-, 4-, or 5-free that come with more product, more unique colors, and generally better quality, for less money.  Maybe julep needs to cut down on the graphics people sending me 4 different emails a day and refocus on their quality and creativity.  As it stands, julep is a pretty crappy value as a brand right now.

I just changed mine to skip. I should save the money and I have 55 Julep polishes.

Bright side -- I am wearing Kimberley (the purple speckled) I bought in the big sale, and it is SUPER FUN. Easy to apply too.

As it stands, julep is a pretty crappy value as a brand right now.
I also am starting to feel this way.  Their bottles don't have much polish in them for what they charge (with that said I have only once finished a bottle of full sized nail polish that was not a base or top coat (Essie's Wrapped in Rubies for the win), so in a way I object mostly on the principle of the thing I guess).

ETA oh no, two- I also finished a bottle of OPI's black spotted but in a way that's sort of a top coat, albeit a really unique one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh, I am so annoyed!  I just looked up the ingredients for the Body Milk and it contains Mineral Oil AND Paraffin:

Water/Eau, Isopropyl Palmitate, Mineral Oil, Dimethicone, Hexylene Glycol, Glycerin, Sodium Lauroyl Oat Amino Acids, Propylene Glycol, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearic Acid, Glyceryl Stearate, Paraffin, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Ilybum Marianum Extract (Milk Thistle), Palmitic Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Dimethiconol, Fragrance/Parfum, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum, Fructose, Glucose, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Tocopherol, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Peel Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil

I am sorry, but for a $24 retail price I would expect a much higher quality body lotion.  This is like getting one from Bath and Body Works (which contain petrolatum) and they are NOT $24.  

Thankfully, neither the Beach Tonic Body Oil or the Bare Body Polish contain petroleum products.  So why did they have to put them in the lotion?  GRRRRRR..... 

I'm skipping and contemplating quitting altogether.  I just don't want to miss Julep, sign back up and have NO skip.  Being able to skip is what's keeping me around. 

I skipped. I actually really like cremes and had no problem that they offered so many of them this month but I already have dupes for the colors I like. 

I saw the sneak peek yesterday on FB when it was leaked and although I like the colors in general (fun, bright, nice for summer) like many of you, too many would be dupes for me. So I chose Modern Beauty and for add on's made this a product month and am getting things that I've wanted to try for awhile now - The hot commodity set (with blank canvas face primer and luxe lip - and Laree - bonus as I should have gotten that shade in May but didn't); the cuticle pusher and the Solace sunscreen - didn't want a 2 pack of it but they have a single in the add ons so I can try it out. I also really hope the body milk has a lighter scent than the oil from last year - it wasn't bad but I found it a bit strong. 

Have you tried the new oxygen base coat? I didn't expect much of it, but I've used it twice and my polish hasn't chipped at all. I've had a micro glitter (Greta) on for 7 days now with no chipping and barely any signs of wear.  Usually micro glitters only last me about 3-4 days before big pieces start falling off.
I haven't, no! I got the polish upgrade last month, so I didn't get it. I've rotated between using Seche Clear and Growth Spurt as base coats. OPI's liquid sand polishes are essentially the same as Julep's stardusts and I never have issues with them chipping--nor do I have it with any other Julep polishes. Just the stardusts/sea salts. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Surprisingly enough, the stardusts are the one thing Julep does right, and I wish they'd release a full stardust collection Right Nao. I've never had a problem with them chipping, but then I only wear polish for a couple of days before changing it out. The normal polishes are another story.

I was hoping that enough would be meh to skip, but I'm going with It Girl and adding on the red stardust + base coat. I'm pleasantly surprised at the base coat, and it also seems to be whitening my badly stained nails (yellow from a teal polish then pink from a purple polish, so they had this funky stain gradient going on). I can justify the $10 add on for the base coat as I've used Butter's Nail Foundation which is almost $20 for a full sized bottle.

On an annoying note, I see that we're back to One Hand Swatch to Rule Them All.
Maybe it's just my nails in particular that don't do well with these particular polishes? I own four stardusts/sea salts now and all four have given me chipping issues that no other Julep polishes or the texture-dupe OPI liquid sand polishes ever have. Hm. :/ I wear my polish for roughly a week and typically see minimal tip wear unless I'm doing something especially tough on my hands.

I guess.... I am skipping??? The bombshell tempts me but in reality I have a similar blue. I don't have anything like that purple, but I'm not really interested in the body milk, so really I'd be getting a box for one polish. Plus I have way too much polish, and also could really stand to save the money. Okay. Yeah. Must skip.
Everything u just said I second.

Latest posts

Back