(Spoilers) Julep July 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jesus how did you manage to get 6,050 Jules?! That's amazing!

Word. Can you tell me how Rainbow Honey works? Is it monthly, bi-monthly, or can you just buy 1 whenever you want to? & is it always a mystery?
It's actually kind of awesome because May was my first box so I literally got all 6050 of my jules in one month. I got the regular 100 for joining and then I wanted to get more colors for cheap so I got myself two more intro boxes by referring accounts on two of my other emails so that was 4000 points. I got 2450 for taking May since it was my first box. I got 750 points from their CS two separate times during the late May box debacle. The first time just because I called and complained about how late they were sending it, the second time I asked to cancel the Freedom to Go from my May box since during the lengthy amount of time I'd already been waiting for my May box, I'd gotten the Freedom in a mystery box and I didn't like it so they gave me the points "to get a polish I liked better."

Also, @@meaganola already did a great job of explaining Rainbow Honey, but I'm just going to second that it is awesome. Definitely more unique and a better value than Julep.

I think I'm going with CWAT over Modern Beauty after all this month. Nothing I really feel the need to add on though. I'd rather get two more boxes out of my jules. 

Hey Gals- couple maven questions- if I decide to update my maven to customize

1. Is it more Jules for my free box if I decide to customize? I have 2000 Jules now & there burning a hole in my virtual pocket.. Lol!

2. If I customize I know there's no turning back but do I still get my grandfathered in skip option?

Thanks lovely ladies for your help!

I'm not super excited about most of the polish in this collection, but I have the My Maven account so I was able to customize my perfect box so I'm happy. Julep has been a fantastic value for me but to each their own. 

I'm contemplating taking this month. I have a relatively small polish collection and pretty tame color/texture taste, so I actually like this collection. They would be similar to some I have but definitely not exact dupes. But of course, the colors I like are all in different boxes! I like Lorenzana (if this will actually look like the swatches--all of my "greige" nudes right now just look grey on me and I'm forever on the hunt for the perfect one!), Vicki, and Beverly. I also like Tamara and Kelsey, but arguably have colors that are pretty close to those. 

I can't decide what to do with box selection. I'm a grandfathered skipper that hasn't switched to the customizable option. I'm contemplating pre-paying for the 3 mos. of customizable, but I don't know if I really want to commit to 3 months of Julep as they continue to go down the toilet. The increased price of the add-ons really makes me not want to buy them. And I can't decide if I want the Body Milk or not. 

I'm technically on a no-buy this month (and have been doing super well!), but July is my birthday month. I know we are billed at the end of June, but I think I could justify to myself that this is a July purchase, eh? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Gals- couple maven questions- if I decide to update my maven to customize

1. Is it more Jules for my free box if I decide to customize? I have 2000 Jules now & there burning a hole in my virtual pocket.. Lol!

2. If I customize I know there's no turning back but do I still get my grandfathered in skip option?

Thanks lovely ladies for your help!
1. I *think* it might be more Jules for a free box under MyMaven, because I tried applying Jules to my box this morning, and it said I didn't have enough (I had 2500 at that time). I haven't been able to find a definite answer on this though.

2. You still get your grandfathered skip option.

Anyone know how the Jules work with the pre-paid option? Do you still get the Jules when you take your box, or do you earn them upfront when you pay? And is it still the same number of Jules per box?

I'm throwing in more questions here: does anyone have a link to (or can summarize) the basics about the new customization features? I'm a grandfathered skipper as well so I don't want to lose out on that (big reason why I would never quit Julep) but I want to see if its a better situation for me.  

Anyone know how the Jules work with the pre-paid option? Do you still get the Jules when you take your box, or do you earn them upfront when you pay? And is it still the same number of Jules per box?
You get 350 per box instead of 300, and you get them as you take boxes, not upfront.

I'm throwing in more questions here: does anyone have a link to (or can summarize) the basics about the new customization features? I'm a grandfathered skipper as well so I don't want to lose out on that (big reason why I would never quit Julep) but I want to see if its a better situation for me.  
Here's the blog post: http://www.julep.com/blog/the-new-improved-maven/

You definitely don't lose your skip option. (I switched, and I still have the skip option.) You may need more than 2000 Jules for a free box though. They didn't address that in the blog post.

I switched to customization last month and used 2000 Jules to get the box for free. Since I am on the prepaid plan, I wouldn't expect anything else as I still pay $20 for the box.

Might be different if you don't prepay ...

with the mineral oil kn the milk, I decided to swap it out. Getting Braiden, Lissa, Tamara and Tegan.

For me, polish rarely lasts for more than 1-2 days no matter what. I'm currently at home with 3 kids, so a lot of rough work that tends to mess up my nails. I love the stardusts as they are so easy to fix ...

I ended up skipping for now. I liked the Bombshell colors, but I said I would not get more polish this month.

I'm contemplating taking this month. I have a relatively small polish collection and pretty tame color/texture taste, so I actually like this collection. They would be similar to some I have but definitely not exact dupes. But of course, the colors I like are all in different boxes! I like Lorenzana (if this will actually look like the swatches--all of my "greige" nudes right now just look grey on me and I'm forever on the hunt for the perfect one!), Vicki, and Beverly. I also like Tamara and Kelsey, but arguably have colors that are pretty close to those. 

I can't decide what to do with box selection. I'm a grandfathered skipper that hasn't switched to the customizable option. I'm contemplating pre-paying for the 3 mos. of customizable, but I don't know if I really want to commit to 3 months of Julep as they continue to go down the toilet. The increased price of the add-ons really makes me not want to buy them. And I can't decide if I want the Body Milk or not. 

I'm technically on a no-buy this month (and have been doing super well!), but July is my birthday month. I know we are billed at the end of June, but I think I could justify to myself that this is a July purchase, eh? 
If you like nudes Zoya has a great collection of them.  http://www.zoya.com/content/category/Zoya_Naturel_Collection_Nude_Natural_Nail_Polish_Colors.html 

Nothing is really spectacular. I think I may skip. I did modern beauty right now. But my hearts not in it.

Nothing is really spectacular. I think I may skip. I did modern beauty right now. But my hearts not in it.
I joined in July last year and got my first regular box in August. This is the first collection that I really didn't want any of it - because I feel like I have a near dupe from Julep already.  Seems like they keep doing the same colors over and over again this year.  

So in the three months I've been a maven, I have consistently found myself placing an order mid-month and getting extra goodies.... Usually not during the Secret Store because I want the NEW stuff!  Decided to just bite the bullet, stop thinking about it, and upgrade to the 3-month pre-paid Maven Luxe account. Got the Body Milk, Body Polish, and Lissa in the box, then used Jules to get Vicki, Tamara, and Beverly as add-ons. (Did a mani with Clara tonight to remind myself that I don't need Kelsey -- definitely a duplicate. Thanks mystery boxes! :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ). 

Once I had my box settled, I played around with the swapping a bunch. You can easily do a box with 5 polishes. Or , and this is definitely something I'm going to end up doing, you could do one with the pedi cream and three polishes. What you can swap in and how many products depend on the cost of the products you're adding. The possibilities are pretty fantastic!

The blog post with all the customization info says that you can drop down from Maven Luxe to My Maven at any point (and switch back up to Maven Luxe too). But given how my skin drinks up the Body Oil (mmmm) and I'm now addicted to the pedi cream, it will be a while before I even want to attempt that. (It will probably be a mega hassle).

For now, I'm super excited to get my box!

I like the July collection, I'm a cream lover so this is good for me.  However, I already have a lot of colors that are pretty much dupes of many these from Julep.  I'm going to take a chance anyway and customized a box with Lorenzana, Vickie, and Kelsey.  I'm pretty sure I have dupes for all 3 but since the swatches are not always accurate who knows if the colors will arrive looking like the polishes I already have  :lol:

I also like Lissa but I have similar colored polishes already that I think are so pretty but I never wear them since I'm drawn to and tend to stick to more muted conservative colors.  So tempted to add on Lissa though.  If I don't add it on this will be my first time in 5-6 months without an add-on.    

Latest posts

Back