(Spoilers) November Birchbox 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie P /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just finished a year and paid for my second year. I have always felt it was worth the $$.

Thanks so much, knowing that you've subscribed for so long and still are happy really helps me to feel better about dropping $110!

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was monthly for something like ten months, went annual (strangely, I upgraded to annual right *after* receiving what might have been the worst box I have ever received, with stick-on eyeliner and powdered mouthwash), renewed for a second year when that ended, and will be renewing for a third year when this one ends. It goes back and forth between meh and awesome, but it averages out to more than worth my less-than-$3.50-a-month-after-accounting-for-points. There might be a craptacular box one month, but then there will be a really awesome box the next (or at least within two or three months, and the intervening months will be solid). It has not consistently gone downhill, at least for me. I might not like the tan wipes and sunblock they tend to focus on during the summer, but there will almost always be a balancing item that makes it not completely horrible.

And, oddly, when I look back at a box I hated or thought was really boring when I received it, I now look at it and think it was a pretty good box. Preferences and interests change. I still hate that stupid stick-on eyeliner, though.

Thanks so much for your opinion, it really helps and now I think I am going to do it. I have been really happy so far and the points are fantastic! I just hope things will stay at least as good as they are, especially the points system! Hearing you are still a subscriber after so long makes me think I am definitely in! I love cashing in on the points and that promo to get double gives me the most... :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by sweetharlot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  YEARLY99 doesn't work for me but JOIN110ANNUAL does. I'm contemplating doing a yearly subscription but, is it really worth it? I guess I'm paranoid BB will suddenly and drastically go downhill, I've only been a subscriber since August - anyone have any insight?
what's the bonus with JOIN110ANNUAL?  Do you get extra points?  Works out to the same deal ($11 in points vs. $11 discount), but just want to verify.

I'm considering moving my 2nd box to an annual sub.  I have been getting BB since March.  As others have said, some months are great, some are "meh" but for $3.50 a month including the discount points ... it's a fun little bonus.  Personally, I try not to get too focused on any specific item, so I can be open to trying what I get.

You'll get 220 bonus points ($22) instead of only 110 points which they normally give you for upgrading to an annual.

what's the bonus with JOIN110ANNUAL?  Do you get extra points?  Works out to the same deal ($11 in points vs. $11 discount), but just want to verify. I'm considering moving my 2nd box to an annual sub.  I have been getting BB since March.  As others have said, some months are great, some are "meh" but for $3.50 a month including the discount points ... it's a fun little bonus.  Personally, I try not to get too focused on any specific item, so I can be open to trying what I get.

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You'll get 220 bonus points ($22) instead of only 110 points which they normally give you for upgrading to an annual. Quote: Originally Posted by jennm149 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

what's the bonus with JOIN110ANNUAL?  Do you get extra points?  Works out to the same deal ($11 in points vs. $11 discount), but just want to verify.

I'm considering moving my 2nd box to an annual sub.  I have been getting BB since March.  As others have said, some months are great, some are "meh" but for $3.50 a month including the discount points ... it's a fun little bonus.  Personally, I try not to get too focused on any specific item, so I can be open to trying what I get.

Thanks, Jess!  Went for it -- now I've got almost $30 in points on that second account!

I plan on getting a year long one beginning of next year, I'm happy to know people were generally satisfied pre-purchasing. I hope there's some good codes by then! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You'll get 220 bonus points ($22) instead of only 110 points which they normally give you for upgrading to an annual.
If I do that, will it reset my anniversaries and stuff? I am really looking forward to my 16 month anniversary code, in January. I would hate to start all over. I'm month by month, right now.

Oh, and thank you, to all who contributed their opinions on Beauty Protect and the 12 Benefits spray. I just used BP last night, and I love it. It made my hair really shiny and smooth, though my new dryer probably helped. BP rally does smell a lot like Pink Sugar, which I like, but it didn't really linger in my hair, which is for the best.

Subscribing for updates!!! Really hoping for some lotions and face creams/moisturizers this month as my skin tends to get really dry.

I'm hoping for moisturizers as well. September and early October were really warm here, and now that it hasn't been above freezing for the last five days, my skin has been so itchy and dry. Lotion season, here I come.

When does birchbox normally do sneak peeks? Do they even do sneak peeks? Lol. Last month was my first box, but I subbed late in the month and just got my box today, so I'm unsure how it all works still.

I had been hoping for blush.  Then I got benefit fine-one-one (I was on the verge of losing Birchbox points, so I decided I might as well get it), and then I found out one of my subs is sending out a blush *palette* this month, and then I went in and inventoried my blush.  Um...  I'm set for quite a while, especially considering how I get in a Blush Groove and stick with the same blush for weeks on end because it just feels *right* for the season, and I will *still* barely make a dent in it.  Now I have no clue what I'm hoping for.  This is probably a good mindset to be in for Birchbox, though, because if I'm not antsy to get something, I won't be disappointed if I don't get that thing.  I think there are more things I'm hoping land in the store (stila holiday sets even though I should *not* be acquiring any more eyeliner or blush!) than I'm interesting in showing up in boxes because new store additions mean I can get things I've been desperately wanting with points (I'm trying to save money for a comic con in March, but I really want new toys!).

I had been hoping for blush.  Then I got benefit fine-one-one (I was on the verge of losing Birchbox points, so I decided I might as well get it), and then I found out one of my subs is sending out a blush *palette* this month, and then I went in and inventoried my blush.  Um...  I'm set for quite a while, especially considering how I get in a Blush Groove and stick with the same blush for weeks on end because it just feels *right* for the season, and I will *still* barely make a dent in it.  Now I have no clue what I'm hoping for.  This is probably a good mindset to be in for Birchbox, though, because if I'm not antsy to get something, I won't be disappointed if I don't get that thing.  I think there are more things I'm hoping land in the store (stila holiday sets even though I should *not* be acquiring any more eyeliner or blush!) than I'm interesting in showing up in boxes because new store additions mean I can get things I've been desperately wanting with points (I'm trying to save money for a comic con in March, but I really want new toys!).
Take me to comic con with you!!! Lol. It's been a lifelong dream of mine to go there and be with "my people". Haha.

If I do that, will it reset my anniversaries and stuff? I am really looking forward to my 16 month anniversary code, in January. I would hate to start all over. I'm month by month, right now. Oh, and thank you, to all who contributed their opinions on Beauty Protect and the 12 Benefits spray. I just used BP last night, and I love it. It made my hair really shiny and smooth, though my new dryer probably helped. BP rally does smell a lot like Pink Sugar, which I like, but it didn't really linger in my hair, which is for the best.
No it won't. I did the upgrade in Feb, and got my 13 month code this month, which was correct.

Quote: Originally Posted by caseybean025 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When does birchbox normally do sneak peeks? Do they even do sneak peeks? Lol. Last month was my first box, but I subbed late in the month and just got my box today, so I'm unsure how it all works still.

Sneak peak every month in form of short youtube video that gives us a couple of products included and usually a theme. The guy's get their video earlier but they get their boxes earlier, too. Sneak peak for video comes out the first week of the month I think and by the 10th you can peak (if you want!) to see what's in your box even if yours hasn't arrived yet 
wink.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by caseybean025 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Take me to comic con with you!!! Lol. It's been a lifelong dream of mine to go there and be with "my people". Haha.
There are comic cons all over the country!  Are you talking about the big one in San Diego?  I went in 2008, and it was pretty much all about tv shows -- and it was a *zoo* that I'm not sure I'm willing to go through again.  The smaller regional ones are more comics-oriented, and if that's your thing (as it is mine), I actually wouldn't bother with San Diego nowadays.  I went to the one in Portland (Rose City Comic Con) last month, and its main emphasis was *comics*.  The one I'm headed to in March is Emerald City Comic Con in Seattle, and seems to be turning into the second-biggest comic con on the West Coast, behind the one most people think of as *the* Comic Con, but they aren't overrun by MOVIES AND TV LIKE WHOA even if they have been getting bigger and bigger stars to show up every year -- and more of them.  The year I went to ECCC (in 2009), they had Michael Hogan, Tamoh Penikett, Aaron Douglas, Ray Park, Jewel Staite, and Wil Wheaton.  That was pretty much it, and half of them were on the same panel.  Next year, they've already announced that they scheduled to have Alan Tudyk, Richard Dean Anderson (I think the 2008 San Diego CC was his first con after years of refusing to do them *at all*.  He told a poop joke and pretty much begged to not have the panel end on time because he was having *fun*, and when MacGyver asks for more time, YOU GIVE HIM MORE TIME.  It was awesome!), Jim Beaver, Stephen Yuen, Mark Sheppard, Michael Biehn, Cary Elwes, J. August Richards, and more -- and they still have five months to go.

(And to bring it back to Birchbox, I'm actually going to be pulling things from my boxes over the next few months and putting them in my suitcase so I don't use them or swap them away before the con!  I always used to seem to scramble for small sizes of shampoo, moisturizer, facial cleanser, etc., whenever I go somewhere, so I would put things *away* so I couldn't use them before a trip.  On the other hand, I haven't so much as spent the night away from my apartment in almost two years, so I haven't really handled my Birchboxes with travel in mind, which means I haven't noticed how many samples I get that I should be saving for a trip.  I just use them or swap them away.  I need to consider things more carefully until I have a nicely-stocked overnight bag!)

There are comic cons all over the country!  Are you talking about the big one in San Diego?  I went in 2008, and it was pretty much all about tv shows -- and it was a *zoo* that I'm not sure I'm willing to go through again.  The smaller regional ones are more comics-oriented, and if that's your thing (as it is mine), I actually wouldn't bother with San Diego nowadays.  I went to the one in Portland (Rose City Comic Con) last month, and its main emphasis was *comics*.  The one I'm headed to in March is Emerald City Comic Con in Seattle, and seems to be turning into the second-biggest comic con on the West Coast, behind the one most people think of as *the* Comic Con, but they aren't overrun by MOVIES AND TV LIKE WHOA even if they have been getting bigger and bigger stars to show up every year -- and more of them.  The year I went to ECCC (in 2009), they had Michael Hogan, Tamoh Penikett, Aaron Douglas, Ray Park, Jewel Staite, and Wil Wheaton.  That was pretty much it, and half of them were on the same panel.  Next year, they've already announced that they scheduled to have Alan Tudyk, Richard Dean Anderson (I think the 2008 San Diego CC was his first con after years of refusing to do them *at all*.  He told a poop joke and pretty much begged to not have the panel end on time because he was having *fun*, and when MacGyver asks for more time, YOU GIVE HIM MORE TIME.  It was awesome!), Jim Beaver, Stephen Yuen, Mark Sheppard, Michael Biehn, Cary Elwes, J. August Richards, and more -- and they still have five months to go. (And to bring it back to Birchbox, I'm actually going to be pulling things from my boxes over the next few months and putting them in my suitcase so I don't use them or swap them away before the con!  I always used to seem to scramble for small sizes of shampoo, moisturizer, facial cleanser, etc., whenever I go somewhere, so I would put things *away* so I couldn't use them before a trip.  On the other hand, I haven't so much as spent the night away from my apartment in almost two years, so I haven't really handled my Birchboxes with travel in mind, which means I haven't noticed how many samples I get that I should be saving for a trip.  I just use them or swap them away.  I need to consider things more carefully until I have a nicely-stocked overnight bag!)
So jealous! To be honest, I want to go to any of them. Lol. Except maybe SD now that you said how huge and "commercial" it is... And I just have to say that when I read Will Wheaton, I had Sheldon coopers voice saying it in my head. Hahaha.

Sorry to jump on the Comic Con convo >_>, my family has since made it a tradition to attend that living in San Diego mainly. Thank God my brother works in the industry and got some tickets for the family otherwise it would of been impossible and expensive. Comic Con got so huge! I remember the days when you can just go there the day of and buy tickets, now , you'd be lucky to even get them a year ahead pre-bought! 

Birchbox wise - This is my birthday month! I hope its another good box, I've been extremely satisfied overall in the boxes and can't wait to see the spoilers for November. Does anyone recall any specials that go on around Dec-Jan that occured last year? Hoping to sub a year by the beginning of 2014 :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Latest posts

Back