(Spoilers) November Birchbox 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw this on YouTube yesterday as well--a girl who insisted she chose "No Hair Products" on her Birchbox profile. I think she also said she chose "No Body Care". She was not happy. Each of my boxes have contained at least 1 haircare item and 1 skincare item since the change in how detailed the profiles are.
I think people don't get that not selecting certain items doesn't preclude you from getting them. Sigh. hahaha.
That's what I was thinking. I made sure to check appropriately in each category because I feel like maybe, just maybe, it makes it more likely I'll get something I want to use each month. Maybe reduce the randomness a bit. I was afraid if I left it blank or didn't read the options carefully enough before checking the boxes, then I would just get leftovers or whatever Birchbox throws in when people don't fill out their profile.

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Yeah, I think all it means is that you might not get them six months in a row (my past six months, not including the nail polishes everyone received:  eyeliner, lip gloss stick, lipstick, liquid lipstick, lip gloss, another lip gloss.  But I *do* have makeup checked, so it's not a surprise.  It *is* getting boring to get lip stuff over and over, but maybe blush will be in next month's box for a change.  I've only received that twice in two and a half years, and the last time was in January).
There definitely needs to be more blush IMO. I've gotten more this year than I had before just from shopping theBalm's sales. But, since blush is still a product that's fairly new to me, I'd love to try more!

Quote: Originally Posted by peridotcricket /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's what I was thinking. I made sure to check appropriately in each category because I feel like maybe, just maybe, it makes it more likely I'll get something I want to use each month. Maybe reduce the randomness a bit. I was afraid if I left it blank or didn't read the options carefully enough before checking the boxes, then I would just get leftovers or whatever Birchbox throws in when people don't fill out their.
I actually did the opposite recently. A few months ago I was getting boxes that I felt like weren't products that meshed well with my skin type, hair type, and beauty interests, so I made my profile more vague to try and open it up a bit. Not really sure how that's working out for me as of yet, loved my October box, but it was also a fairly common box.

I sometimes think there's almost a science to being happy with your Birchboxes.  Like, put a 30% (or more!) focus on this item, 5% (or less!) on that one, 15% that other one, and 25% on each of the other two.  That's how I approached the September box (I got box 32):  I was *extremely* focused on the lip gloss (I had one from that line in Dandelion.  Note the sad use of the past tense.  I *love* this whole line and really miss Dandelion, but it fell out of my pocket somewhere) and nail polish.  I thought I would love the shower gel because shower gel is one of my obsessions (not crazy about this particular one, but, hey, that's why I love samples like this!), and this is the time of year when I love to have a small tube of hand cream in every bag (especially my messenger bag that I carry to work!  I don't realize how dry my hands are in the mornings until I get on the bus, so I'm getting in the habit of digging out hand cream pretty much as soon as I get on the bus.  I'm not crazy about the scent, but I'm not exactly riding a high-class bus, and I wash it off when I get to work anyway, so I can deal with it for that half hour).  I didn't care for the fragrance sample, but since I love two of the items and will use two of the other items up even if I don't love them, I can just brush the fragrance aside (as I do every month) like a too-dark foundation/concealer sample that gets tucked into my bag when I buy something at Sephora.  

(My October box wasn't super thrilling, but it was *useful*.  I won't use the fragrance, and I'm disappointed in the lipgloss because of specific issues with this particular gloss, but I love lip balm, the cleanser is something I can use and push off buying more cleanser that much longer, and I'm headed into the dry season for my hair, *plus* it's shoulder-length, something it hasn't been since around the time Angel became Angelus, so I've been using a lot more conditioner than I've ever used before.  For my $3.50 -- after accounting for points and the discount for having an annual subscription -- it's great, especially since there aren't really many other items in October boxes overall that I would have rather had instead, so no box envy over here.)

that's true. I just unchecked everything regarding hair care, because I asked BB what to do. I love hair products, but my counter is over flowing with mini shampoo/conditioners. Id love a dry shampoo or a masque but it doesn't seem meant to be!

don't get your hopes up, there literally isn't an option for "no hair products." i have on my profile that i don't do anything to my hair and i've still gotten a hair product every month for the past year.

Quote: Originally Posted by natashaia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

that's true. I just unchecked everything regarding hair care, because I asked BB what to do. I love hair products, but my counter is over flowing with mini shampoo/conditioners. Id love a dry shampoo or a masque but it doesn't seem meant to be!
I know the feeling! I don't think I've had to buy hair products for a while now because I've received so many from birchbox.

Quote: Originally Posted by kawaiimeows /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  There definitely needs to be more blush IMO. I've gotten more this year than I had before just from shopping theBalm's sales. But, since blush is still a product that's fairly new to me, I'd love to try more!
They definitely need to send out more blush. How many lipglosses and lipsticks have we sampled this year, vs. blush? I get a ton of lipglosses in my boxes, not that I mind, but I'd love to get more blush. 

Urk. I really hope they send out that Dr. Brandt exfoliating scrub again and that I get it in my main box.  I got it in my second box, and I really like it, but I don't like it enough to spend SEVENTY-EIGHT DOLLARS on it.

Quote: Originally Posted by caseybean025 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This will be my first birchbox! I'm not actually that excited about the box itself (sounds like a lot of foil packets), but you can't beat the point system they have!
Maybe I have had good luck, but I don't get a bunch of foils.

From Jan 2012 to Oct 2013 (on my main account), I've received 115 items: 12 foil samples, 61 deluxe sized samples, 21 full sized items, 13 perfume vials, and 8 food items.

I've been very pleased with the amount of deluxe/full sized items, and variety of types of items I've received.

Everyone's experience is different, and I hope you enjoy yours :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Maybe I have had good luck, but I don't get a bunch of foils. From Jan 2012 to Oct 2013 (on my main account), I've received 115 items: 12 foil samples, 61 deluxe sized samples, 21 full sized items, 13 perfume vials, and 8 food items. I've been very pleased with the amount of deluxe/full sized items, and variety of types of items I've received. Everyone's experience is different, and I hope you enjoy yours :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Thanks! That actually makes me MUCH more excited now! :-D

Even when I get foils, they are almost always nicely-sized. I actually kind of hesitate to call them foils because that makes me think of not-even-1-ml packets you get for free from the Lancôme counter, and these are a lot more substantial. I can get three rounds from an Amika hair masque foil, for example, and my hair isn't particularly short or thin. The Miss Jessie's packet will probably last me a week. I had a body butter foil that I used as a hand cream, and it lasted for a week or so, although I was just concentrating on the backs of my hands at the time. And in defense of foils: I have a much easier time getting every little bit out of a foil than a tube if the amount is the same in each, and there has been an uptick in tubes that *look* like they contain more than foils, but then when you look at the amount they contain, it's the same amount as a foil, just in a larger container.

Even when I get foils, they are almost always nicely-sized. I actually kind of hesitate to call them foils because that makes me think of not-even-1-ml packets you get for free from the Lancôme counter, and these are a lot more substantial. I can get three rounds from an Amika hair masque foil, for example, and my hair isn't particularly short or thin. The Miss Jessie's packet will probably last me a week. I had a body butter foil that I used as a hand cream, and it lasted for a week or so, although I was just concentrating on the backs of my hands at the time.

And in defense of foils: I have a much easier time getting every little bit out of a foil than a tube if the amount is the same in each, and there has been an uptick in tubes that *look* like they contain more than foils, but then when you look at the amount they contain, it's the same amount as a foil, just in a larger container.
I agree. Even when it's not one nice sized one, I usually get several. My Caldrea hand lotion ones were my favorite, i got like 3-4 uses out of each pack and they gave me 3 packs.

You guys are making me way more excited for BB! Thanks! I had always heard complaints about foil packets and I guess people always made it sound like it was super small... In my head I was picturing the little foil packet of the wet wipe you get at a restaurant. Lol.

Quote: Originally Posted by caseybean025 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You guys are making me way more excited for BB! Thanks! I had always heard complaints about foil packets and I guess people always made it sound like it was super small... In my head I was picturing the little foil packet of the wet wipe you get at a restaurant. Lol.
They did have those foot wipes a couple months back! (Then again, they give you two!)

Quote: (My October box wasn't super thrilling, but it was *useful*.  I won't use the fragrance, and I'm disappointed in the lipgloss because of specific issues with this particular gloss, but I love lip balm, the cleanser is something I can use and push off buying more cleanser that much longer, and I'm headed into the dry season for my hair, *plus* it's shoulder-length, something it hasn't been since around the time Angel became Angelus, so I've been using a lot more conditioner than I've ever used before. 

OMG. Thank you for making me CRACK up !

Quote: Originally Posted by IMDawnP /img/forum/go_quote.gif

OMG. Thank you for making me CRACK up !

Hey, it was a very traumatic experience! It happened ON MY BIRTHDAY!
You should have written Joss Whedon a VERY stern note. (and yes, it was traumatic.  I cried.  I'm pretty sure it affected my schoolwork)

Quote: Originally Posted by kawaiimeows /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I agree. Even when it's not one nice sized one, I usually get several. My Caldrea hand lotion ones were my favorite, i got like 3-4 uses out of each pack and they gave me 3 packs.

When I got the soap samples - I got like 4-5 uses out of them.  I am still waiting to open my last one.  I love Caldrea - I just can't justify the price. (Off to Bath and Body works I go...7 for $20...YAAAY)

Quote: Originally Posted by TippyAG /img/forum/go_quote.gif

**Updates!**

1st post.... Been lurking
bandit.gif
for about 3 or 4 months now (as long as I have been subscribed to Birchbox) I hope to be a positive addition to MUT
beer.gif

Comment November updates!
Welcome!

Quote: Originally Posted by JimmyJazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When I got the soap samples - I got like 4-5 uses out of them.  I am still waiting to open my last one.  I love Caldrea - I just can't justify the price. (Off to Bath and Body works I go...7 for $20...YAAAY)
My thoughts exactly. They gave me 3 scents when I got samples, and I loved every one of them. But I definitely don't have the money for them in my budget, and like to blow my points on other things I can't get elsewhere (i'll that B&BW hard working hand cream instead of caldrea).

Back